Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we need more depth, an who could give it to us

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do we need more depth, an who could give it to us

    http://nfl.com/news/story/8619987

    Answer the title........
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

  • #2
    1. If our starting quarterback goes down with injury, is there anyone on the roster who can keep the team moving forward?
    Probably not. If we had signed Garcia, then definitely. Kanell isn't all that good. The others are inexperienced.

    2. If our starting running back goes down with injury, do we have a potential 1,000-yard back in the wings?

    This is Denver. Anyone can rush for 1,000. The special ones rush for 1,600. We've got Griffin, Anderson, Clarett, and Dayne.

    3. Is there a third wide receiver on the roster who can step up and take over a starting job should a starter lose time?
    Darius Watts is extremely talented, and in his second season, he can easily fulfill the role. He just needs to hold on to the ball, and not let his nerves get to him.

    4. Is there a second tight end on the roster that can provide a similar package of skills as the starter?
    Yes, former Pro-Bowler Stephen Alexander is that guy. Hape can fill in if Alexander is injured.

    5. Is there a "swing offensive tackle" on the roster that can insure the quarterback will not get killed if a starter goes down?
    That's exactly why we signed Anthony Clement. Dwayne Carswell could also fill in.

    6. On the roster, is there an inside offensive lineman that can help at guard or center so the core of the line doesn't lose its integrity?
    We signed Cameron Spikes and drafted Chris Myers and Josh Sewell for this purpose. It is questionable whether Spikes will make it onto the team, though. Also, Clabo tore up NFL Europe. Still, Spikes is probably the least risky option.

    7. Is there a third defensive end with special pass-rush skills that could also play full time if the starter was on the sideline?
    Ebenezer Ekuban had 8 sacks last year. He has backing up Courtney Brown and Trevor Pryce. I'd say he has special pass-rush skills and can start.

    8. Is there a third defensive tackle that can rotate with the starters and play full time if the starter can't go for an extended period of time?
    Yes, though none can pass rush. We have Fatafehi, Myers, Warren, Elliss, and Pope.

    9. Can your favorite team identify their third corner as a guy that can start and survive the attack a QB would put on him?
    I think so, with Middlebrooks. He proved he can play last year. We also drafted a bunch of rookies, but I don't know if they could survive the attack. Roc Alexander sure couldn't, but he was undrafted.

    10. Does your team have a safety that has the ability to not change the coverage calls or expose the weakness of the other safety in the game?
    Sam Brandon.

    Answering the thread's title, we could sign Jeff Blake as a backup QB, but I'd rather just let the young guys develop. Chris Terry could provide interior line depth as long as he doesn't get in any more trouble. There are no pass rushing DTs available, but we might be lucky enough to draft Manuel Wright.
    Last edited by PsychoChicken; 07-04-2005, 08:12 PM.
    A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

    So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

    Comment


    • #3
      I wouldnt want Jeff Blake, He is irratic, and wouldnt really help mento the youngins at all, he sees them all as a threat to his job, or tahts how he has been described in the past
      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
        I wouldnt want Jeff Blake, He is irratic, and wouldnt really help mento the youngins at all, he sees them all as a threat to his job, or tahts how he has been described in the past
        He's the best backup QB available, but like I said, I'd rather see the Mauck, Van Pelt, and Friehauf develop. Jeff Blake would only be a little better than Kanell.
        A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

        So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
          I wouldnt want Jeff Blake, He is irratic, and wouldnt really help mento the youngins at all, he sees them all as a threat to his job, or tahts how he has been described in the past
          I think id want him more the Kanell..........

          Comment


          • #6
            It appears we could use another experienced OG.

            But I would not know what is out there at the moment.

            -----

            Comment


            • #7
              yeah looking at the article, the serious qns about our roster IMO are at QB and WR. Blake would give us the experience there, and I am not a fan of Kanell either, hopefully Mauck or VPelt can take that backup role.
              I think Tai Streets would be a good pickup for 3rd or 4th receiver. I certainly would have liked to have seen him taken than Rice.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'd rather have Quincy Carter than Jeff Blake and that is saying alot.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Question #1 is the Biggest by far as Kirwan points out. "Question No. 1 had to be answered yes, or it was pointless to even ask the other nine. If our starting quarterback goes down with injury, is there anyone on the roster who can keep the team moving forward?"

                  Only with the Broncos the answer is a decisive NO! Plummer was one of the few QBs in the NFL who took every snap last season and he'd better do it again this year or the Broncos are SUNK!

                  Danny Kannell starting equals an automatic loss, as we've seen from 2003! There is just NO chance at all of the Broncos making the playoffs this season if he loses any significant time to injury.

                  Shanahan obviously thought so too or he wouldn't have desparately tried to sign Jeff Garcia and Gus Ferrotte this off-season.

                  As for Brad Van Pelt and Matt Mauch, at least one good thing will happen after Sept. 1. We won't have to listen to their partisans on these boards talk about how they should be the Broncos backups, because both will probably be GONE!

                  They are training-camp fodder, not given a serious chance to back-up Plummer in Shanahan's estimation.

                  If he thought either had the talent to become even a BACKUP let alone a starter in this league, he wouldn't have signed Chad Friehauf.

                  The Broncos carried 2 QBs last year on the active roster. Expect it to happen again: Plummer & Kanell. Friehauf (or possibly Van Pelt OR Mauch may make the practice squad).

                  So despite the depth at other positions, we have to face the fact that Shanahan doesn't feel happy with his backup QB. If he doesn't feel the love for Kanell, why should we? It's like that old song says: "You're all I've got tonight! You're all I've got tonight!"

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ah Cugel

                    Originally posted by Cugel
                    Question #1 is the Biggest by far as Kirwan points out. "Question No. 1 had to be answered yes, or it was pointless to even ask the other nine. If our starting quarterback goes down with injury, is there anyone on the roster who can keep the team moving forward?"

                    Only with the Broncos the answer is a decisive NO! Plummer was one of the few QBs in the NFL who took every snap last season and he'd better do it again this year or the Broncos are SUNK!

                    Danny Kannell starting equals an automatic loss, as we've seen from 2003! There is just NO chance at all of the Broncos making the playoffs this season if he loses any significant time to injury.

                    Shanahan obviously thought so too or he wouldn't have desparately tried to sign Jeff Garcia and Gus Ferrotte this off-season.

                    As for Brad Van Pelt and Matt Mauch, at least one good thing will happen after Sept. 1. We won't have to listen to their partisans on these boards talk about how they should be the Broncos backups, because both will probably be GONE!

                    They are training-camp fodder, not given a serious chance to back-up Plummer in Shanahan's estimation.

                    If he thought either had the talent to become even a BACKUP let alone a starter in this league, he wouldn't have signed Chad Friehauf.

                    The Broncos carried 2 QBs last year on the active roster. Expect it to happen again: Plummer & Kanell. Friehauf (or possibly Van Pelt OR Mauch may make the practice squad).

                    So despite the depth at other positions, we have to face the fact that Shanahan doesn't feel happy with his backup QB. If he doesn't feel the love for Kanell, why should we? It's like that old song says: "You're all I've got tonight! You're all I've got tonight!"

                    Your such the optimist

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I would not count on Sam Brandon...
                      Darrent Williams #27 R.I.P

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KnightOLB53
                        I would not count on Sam Brandon...
                        Yeah, there goes our experienced veteran back-up safety who can play FS and SS.

                        Well, actually, if he's still on the team by the season, it might not be an issue. Brandon will probably just get community service and/or a fine for a misdemeanor.
                        A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

                        So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PsychoChicken
                          Yeah, there goes our experienced veteran back-up safety who can play FS and SS.

                          Well, actually, if he's still on the team by the season, it might not be an issue. Brandon will probably just get community service and/or a fine for a misdemeanor.
                          If he's convicted. (See Cugel's post in the "Sam Brandon - Arrested" thread in GD.)

                          -----

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by topscribe
                            If he's convicted. (See Cugel's post in the "Sam Brandon - Arrested" thread in GD.)

                            -----
                            Which, in all honestly, I hope he is (assuming he is guilty).
                            A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

                            So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well . . .

                              Originally posted by PsychoChicken
                              Which, in all honestly, I hope he is (assuming he is guilty).
                              I agree there, in the respect that justice is served.

                              If he is indeed guilty of violence against a woman, he needs to go to a place where he can experience the other side of the equation.

                              If you know what I mean . . .



                              -----

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X