Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RTB's Patriot-Bronco game analysis and position breakdown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTB's Patriot-Bronco game analysis and position breakdown.

Part one:

Well, I think both team's have their advantages overall, but there's only going to be one team coming out on top, who do I think that is? Check it out and find out.

At quarterback we have two probowlers, and two of the best this season. Plummer has the ability to scramble, yet, he could ruin the whole game for the Broncos. If Plummer shows and doesn't blow, I think the Broncos have the advantage, if it's just like the first game. Although, you have to look at the main record here, and that's the Patriots with Tom Brady. A perfect, 10-0 record, and 3 superbowls. How do you argue with that? Thing is, everything ends, and I think the Broncos have the best chance of ending that in the playoffs right now. I feel that the Broncos can come away with this one if Plummer just gets his thing going on, the PA Boots and getting to the outside, and doing what he does best. Shanahan has been a perfect play caller for this ballclub, we're just going to have to see how well that playcalling is going to be in the playoffs, where it REALLY matters.

For New England's Tom Brady, the key is to let the big men up front block for Tom. The Broncos defensive line has been absolutley amazing this season, especially against New England in the first game. I think he was knocked down like 14 or 15 times in that first meeting. If Denver can consistently do that, and bring Ian Gold or D.J. Williams off the edge and blitz the hell out of Brady, I think they can force them to make mistakes, if they can't get that consistent pressure, it's going to be a long day for the Denver secondary, at least I think that way. I think both of these quarterbacks can get the best of the defense if they can just do what they do best, but that's the key. DO WHAT THEY DO BEST, and don't mess anything up.

At runningback, I clearly see Denver having an easy advantage at this stage of the game. If Tatum Bell can break 2 or 3 long ones, and Mike Anderson can pound it out, I think the Broncos easily could win this game. But if New England goes ahead 10-0, and they put Jake Plummer in a mindset that he has to win the game, I could see New England easily taking control of this game. So from what I see, the Broncos just need to get the run game going.

With New England, in that first playoff game, Corey Dillon was held to only 40 yards on 17 carries, that's like a 2.3 YAC average. That is horrible, and the main thing is, Denver's run stopping D is better than Jacksonville's. But here's another thing to look at, Kevin Faulk had an unexpected 51 yards on only 6 carries. Now can the Broncos stop that? We'll have to see. But as I said before, the Broncos have a huge advantage in this phase of the game. The thing is, this phase of the game is what got the Broncos their 13 wins this season, New England better be prepared to come up and hit this Denver team right in the mouth, or Denver can take control of this awful quick.

At receiver, I see this going New England's way. Let's go with the Broncos first. The Broncos have one of the best WR's over the years in Rod Smith, I expect him to get a few good plays, but nothing too big, he'll have a 6-7 catch game with maybe 70-80 yards. Now, I see Ashley Lelie, the inconsistent WR, making the big passing plays for this squad, can he do it against this New England D though? Can he dust the D like he did in the first game? I know it's possible, but I stated before, the "inconsistent" WR, so you never know. If Ashley can't get the deep ball and make the big play, it's going to rely all on the Denver running game, and I don't know if Anderson and Bell can get 40-50 carries combined. Also, the Broncos do not have much of a threat at the TE position, although Wesley Duke has really emerged into a redzone "decoy" and a redzone threat, so we'll just see if those Broncos can get the ball into the redzone, and if Plummer can play smart in the redzone.

Now with New England, they have a Superbowl MVP in Deion Branch, a receiver that has really come out of his shell and played solid football in David Givens, and a hell of a TE threat and a future pro bowler in Ben Watson. I see Champ Bailey shutting down Deion Branch, or at least keeping him to a minimum. But there's two rookie corners, one coming off an injury, covering the solid David Givens, can New England capitalize on that? Also, I think D.J. and Ian, the Denver linebackers, could keep Ben Watson in check, but we'll have to see about that. But as I said before, New England has the advantage.

At the line, I see Denver, once again, having the advantage. Tom Nalen, Matt Lepsis, Ben Hamilton, George Foster, and Cooper Carlisle are some of the most "better" offensive linemen in this league right now. If they can push guys like Richard Seymour, in this game, back, and they keep pushing them back, they should be able to get this running game going, and if they should be able to give Jake alot of time, and if that happens, this offense can torch you like the best of them. Note that OLB Willie McGinist had 4.5 sacks against the Jaguars, this could play a huge role on Jake Plummer this Saturday.

With New England, they have a solid bunch, but two rookies. This line gave up 4 sacks last week, and I expect them to maybe be a little better, but those rookies could ruin New England's chances up front. Look for Gerard Warren, Courtney Brown, Trevor Pryce(And ESPECIALLY Trevor Pryce), and Michael Myers to get the best of this line this Saturday. They should be able to penetrate and get after Brady and Dillon. Denver get's the nod here.

At defensive line, I see a tossup. As good as the New England line is, I see the Denver offensive line being even better. Matt Lepsis and Richard Seymour will be the main matchup up front, also, watch Vince Wilfork on Ben Hamilton and Tom Nalen. This is going to be one hell of a fight up front. New England should be able to get SOME penetration though.

Now with Denver, I can see Trevor Pryce putting up a 3 or 4 sack game. The New England offensive line isn't terrible, but they're not great either, and Denver single handedly murdered up front last game, so I see them doing the same exact thing in this game. Brady can handle pressure though, that's why I give this one a tossup.

At linebacker, I see a bunch of beasts, and that's all I see. New England get's the advantage though. Let me get at the Broncos first. Defensive leader, Al Wilson, is coming off of a hand injury and hand surgery, this could slow him down, and make him think twice about the plays that he made back in week 6, let when he knocked Deion Branch out and Deion dropped the ball, and Al saved the 1st down on 3rd and long. A key play in last games matchup, we'll see how it will go this time around. Ian Gold and D.J. Williams NEED TO COVER Ben Watson, they need to get the best of him and not let him get the best of them. Seeing D.J. have inexperiance, and Ian Gold not having as much speed as Watson, it could be hard for the Denver linebacking core to get the best of Watson though.

With New England's linebacker squad, all I see is a bunch of big guys that can man handle Jake Plummer in the backfield. Willie McGinist, as mentioned before, had a 5 sack game last week, and then you have other guys like Tedy Bruschi, Chad Brown, Rosevelt Colvin, and Mike Vrable, who are just a bunch of playmakers. This is what these linebackers love, a smashmouth football game, and they are going to come up and just nail the TEs, RBs, and Jake at times. New England gets this advantage.

Secondary, I throw another tossup. Denver's secondary is clearly more talented, but the lack of experience at the corner position, and Darrent Williams just coming off of an injury, I don't know if they'll be able to keep up with the receivers like Troy Brown, David Givens, and Deion Branch. If they can, I give the nod to Denver, if they can't, and the rookies choke up and all of a sudden, all those plays that they made in the regular season, if all of a sudden those plays just disappear, then I give the nod to New England.

Here's what I see from New England's. They don't have they're vetran leader in that secondary with the loss of Rodney Harrison early in the season, they also didn't have him in the first game, and we just took full advantage of that, and we messed them the hell up. They're corners don't match up to the Denver receivers, especially if Ashley Lelie has a "good" day instead of a "bad" one. If Ashley can light it up, and step up and make good plays, I think the Broncos can get this. But if Ashley doesn't, New England should be pretty good in the secondary. Again, it's too close to call because both sides have their question marks that need to be answered.
    sigpic

Part 2:

Not expected to play:
    DEN - Everyone is expected to be healthy.
    NE - Not announced yet.

Let's look at the stats side of this:
    Last game:
    Passing:
    Plummer - 17/24, 262 yards, 2 TDs
    Brady - 24/46, 299 yards, 1 TD

Rushing:
    Bell - 13 carries, 114 yards, 1 TD
    Anderson - 15 carries, 57 yards, 1 TD
    Pass - 10 carries, 64 yards, 1 TD
    Zereoue - 7 carries, 14 yards

Receiving:
    Smith(Rod) - 6 catches, 123 yards, 1 TD
    Lelie - 3 catches, 81 yards
    Putzier - 3 catches, 32 yards
    Branch - 7 catches, 87 yards
    Givens - 7 catches, 58 yards, 1 TD
    Watson - 1 catch, 6 yards

Total yards:
    DEN - 432
    NE - 388

Rushing yards:
    DEN - 178
    NE - 89

Passing yards:
    DEN - 254
    NE - 299

Total penalty's:
    DEN - 0
    NE - 3

Time of possession:
    DEN - 32:17
    NE - 27:43

Notable injuries from last game:
    DEN - Bradlee Van Pelt
    NE - Doug Flutie, Corey Dillon

Not active:
    DEN - David Terrell, Todd Devoe, Marques Anderson, Roc Alexander, Chris Myers, Monsanto Pope, Nate Jackson, Marco Coleman
    NE - Matt Cassel, Guss Scott, Kevin Faulk, Tyrone Poole, Matt Light, Tim Brown, Marquise Hill, Richard Seymour

Final score:
    DEN - 28
    NE - 20

Altogether, I feel that this game will be the game of the week and it will be a smashmouth, old school football game. It should be very close and a fight to the finish. Homefield goes to Denver, but knowing how to win in the playoffs goes to New England. I feel, from the last game, if Denver can control this game, and not force Jake to make plays himself, and if they can run the ball successfully, they'll win it. But if New England can beat Denver early, I think New England could win this. Neither team can let either team hang around. It will be a good close game and I advise everyone to tune into this one, it's going to be the game of the division round in my opinion.

To close this out, I feel that the Broncos will come away with this, 28-24 because of home field. New England will come close, and will drive on the last drive of the game, they'll get it to the redzone, but they'll throw it desperatly, and a last minute interception by Champ Bailey will close this one out. New England will go home, and Denver will have, AT LEAST, a pro bowl coach.

Look for Tom Brady to have good day, but expect the Broncos running game to have a great day.
    sigpic

Comment

Don't put too much stock in game #1

The Pats had too many players out to put too much stock in that game. Also remember that this was the week after the Pats lost their starting Left Tackle, and their starting Left Guard got tossed early in the game. That is why Denver had their best game of the year on the D-Line.

The Jags, with a much better D-Line than the Broncos have, sacked Brady 4 times, and you're predicting 3-4 sacks from 1 guy on your team? Let's get a little more realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by GDBroker
        The Pats had too many players out to put too much stock in that game. Also remember that this was the week after the Pats lost their starting Left Tackle, and their starting Left Guard got tossed early in the game. That is why Denver had their best game of the year on the D-Line.

The Jags, with a much better D-Line than the Broncos have, sacked Brady 4 times, and you're predicting 3-4 sacks from 1 guy on your team? Let's get a little more realistic.

The best game of the year for our Dline was the chiefs, pryce manhandled anyone he faced. and Pryce is better at rushing then ayone on the jags Dline...so...think realistically..he could easily beat a rookie LT, he does it to all-pros so why cant he do it to a rookie????

Comment

I didn't write this for my health.

FREAKIN' READ IT!!!
          sigpic

Comment

I dont think our running game will be as stout as you think... We are running against a 3-4 which we have not have success against (see dallas game) Not to mention our guys in practice run against a 4-3 everyday and it is a completely different look for the runners going up against a 3-4....

its going to be a smash mouth game with a lot of carries going for no or little gain imo....

Comment

I really enjoyed reading ReleaseTheBeast7's comentary, especially part one. Those of us in NE (who realize the Patriots are going into a tough game and it won't be a walk-over by either team) have been in situations before where we just don't know what new and interesting schemes BB and his coaching staff have been formulating behind closed doors. Too many times BB have come up with something that causes confusion for the opponents.

Now, the biggest problem I see with Saturday night's game will be the middle of the Patriots D where Rodney Harrison would have been. Our SS position hasn't worked out as we have planned. I think the success or failure of the entire Patriots D will depend on the Patriots front 7 putting pressure on Plummer, keeping him off balance and the Broncos O line protecting him from an anticipated onslaught. No way am I going to say that our D line will get to Plummer for sure but if they do, it can be the deciding factor in the game.
              You have to get your uniform dirty to play real football!

Real men play Football and Ice Hockey, little boys play the rest of the sports!

Comment

Originally posted by husky71
                I really enjoyed reading ReleaseTheBeast7's comentary, especially part one. Those of us in NE (who realize the Patriots are going into a tough game and it won't be a walk-over by either team) have been in situations before where we just don't know what new and interesting schemes BB and his coaching staff have been formulating behind closed doors. Too many times BB have come up with something that causes confusion for the opponents.

Now, the biggest problem I see with Saturday night's game will be the middle of the Patriots D where Rodney Harrison would have been. Our SS position hasn't worked out as we have planned. I think the success or failure of the entire Patriots D will depend on the Patriots front 7 putting pressure on Plummer, keeping him off balance and the Broncos O line protecting him from an anticipated onslaught. No way am I going to say that our D line will get to Plummer for sure but if they do, it can be the deciding factor in the game.
                Holy cow! a reasonable Patriots fan with a reasonable view of his team who is actually here to have an intelligent discussion rather than to talk smack!

Kudos to you, sir.

Thanks to SNK16 for the AWESOME sig!!!

Comment

I usually don't post on opponents MBs unless I see fans willing to carry on an intelligent rational discussion. Most MBs I shy away from unless I find that I'm able to agree to disagree. That being said, I only posted on this thread because of the great analysis by ReleaseTheBeast7.

Now, I hope I didn't give you the idea that I don't think my Patriots will win. No matter what people say about our schedule in the last half of the season, IMO a team does not have to play the top teams to see improvement, although competition against top teams only proves more to the nay-sayers. Our front 7 have been beasts over that last 6-8 games not necessarily because they played well against the teams on their schedule, poor at best, but because slowly but surely they have become a healthy group. No, injuries are not an excuse for going 4-4 in our 1st 8 games but they were a great part of the reason why we didn't succeed as planned. When Rodney Harrison went down for the season most of us knew that, although we were not a dead team, but with Matt Light gone, Teddy Bruschi an unknown entity and Richard Seymour unable to participate in games, we were a team on the edge of utter failure. Yes, the amazing runs over the past 4 seasons were very heartwarming here in NE but even if we do lose on saturday, and since no one can say what will happen over the spring to any team's makeup, I for one, consider this season only a blip on the radar screen. We will be back.

FWIW, the Patriots started 46 players on O and D this season due to injuries and I give them credit for fighting to the bitter end with rookies, backups and practice squad players.
                  You have to get your uniform dirty to play real football!

Real men play Football and Ice Hockey, little boys play the rest of the sports!

Comment

Working...
                  X