Must Defend the Screen Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must Defend the Screen Better

I think a key aspect for the Bronco defensive scheme should be to defend the screen pass this time much better. Brady and those tricky pats are great in the screen passing game. I can almost guarantee they have some crazy screen plays drawn up for this game, I seem to remember that they were pretty successful during the regular season game on their screen plays.

Originally posted by BroncInUTAH
    I think a key aspect for the Bronco defensive scheme should be to defend the screen pass this time much better. Brady and those tricky pats are great in the screen passing game. I can almost guarantee they have some crazy screen plays drawn up for this game, I seem to remember that they were pretty successful during the regular season game on their screen plays.
    good point, everyone says they are the best screen team in football. they arent bad, but they can be stopped.

OUR PUNTER?!?!?!?!

Comment

With the Broncos fast linebackers, they should do alright against screen plays.

And KC is an excellent screen team and we've been able to play them decently.

You're right though. We will need to defend the screen well.
      My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
      . Post Your Artwork .
      . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

I agree, I think the screen pass is the real x-factor in this game for the Pats, they are certainly one of the best screen teams in football, and now they have a healthy Kevin Faulk to use in those situations.

The difficult part for us facing the screen, and why I think it might be our biggest struggle this week is that we do not generate much pressure on the QB with only our front 4, and the speed of our LB's is often used to blitz to create such pressure.

The blitz is exactly what a good screen team will use to help their screen plays become successful, and they could ultimately use the speed of our LB's against us. The best thing to do would be to REALLY mix things up between the zone blitz we use where we drop a few lineman back, and between the all out blitz where we send the house. Coyer really has his work cut out for him this week IMO to make sure he disguises and creates variations in our defensive looks.

NE uses their RB's, like Faulk, and especially their TE's very well in the screen game, and if we get caught in an all out blitz, it could be a long TD very quickly, or certainly more converted 3rd downs, which will probably be the primary time the screen will be used.

To that affect, if I'm Coyer, the only way I blitz on 3rd down would be a zone blitz, but rather would use the full blitz more on 1st and 2nd down to mix things up more.

We just can't afford to be sending the strength of our defense, which is the speed of our LB's, on the blitz very often because they will be needed against the backs and TE's.

Here's to hoping our front 4 can cut loose on Saturday, if there was ever a time for Coyer to let them go at it, it would be this week.

Comment

The screen is uneffective if we stop the pass early. Then the offense has to resort to short passes and see if they can open up a play!

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
          2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

We MUST make the takle as well

You are right Jletourneau, if we send our all out blitz packages we better hope the pressure gets there right away because Brady can definately hurt us. We MUST MUST MUST make the takles as well. Especially in their tight ends. They have very strong upper body strentgh and can carry their balance as well.

Comment

Working...
            X