Invesco Gets Kudos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invesco Gets Kudos

A local sportswriter here in Cedar City/St. George Utah area attended the game and wrote this column in this morning's paper. The only really disturbing thing was the mention of Patriot fans getting somewhat abused.

I Left My Voice In The Crush Of My First Mile High Playoff Game
    by: Doug Cary

The blood-curdling voices of 76,000 maniacs on a crisp January night in Denver brought back reminders of the long, lost - defeaning echoes of the old Mile High Stadium, now cleverly disguised as a parking lot next to Invesco Field, the Broncos' new home for the past five seasons.

Sure I have covered a handful of games at Invesco since 2001, including the Broncos' 12-10 yawner over the Baltimore Ravens in December. I thought I knew this new place better; that I had this new stadium all figured out.

If I'd somehow forgotten how much the city cared about its Broncos after tasting back to back Super Bowl vicotries at the end of the 1997 and 1998 -- seasons played at Mile High Stadium -- or that Invesco Field could never match the passion of that old, thunderous cathedral, I, like the New England Patriots, received a reality shake.

Broncos' country had been at a fever pitch days before the Saturday's first playoff game in Invesco, the two-time defending NFL Champion Patriots showed up on time and at altitude determinded to spoil the Orange and Blue party. Gunslinging Patriot quarterback Tom Brady sought the 11th straight playoff notch on his handle without a blemish.

Three hours later, Brady left 10-1 after the Broncos' 27-13 victory. To those in Patriots' country who have since questioned whether the Broncos' first Invesco playoff win was legitimate, let me offer an Orange and Blue hanky to wipe the sour grapes that stain your mouth. C'mon. Now that your "dynasty" is over, you can admit it; Brady really did fumble in the snow against the Raiders in the 2001 playoffs, no matter what the referees ruled.

Imagine yelling at the top of your lungs and not even hearing it, the sum of Invesco Field and 76,000 Bronco-maniacs. That sound battered the New Englanders' ear drums each time they had the ball.

How un-Patriotic.

Trailing 3-1 the Broncos exchanged a pair of Patriot fumbles and a pass interference penalty into a 10-3 halftime lead.

Clinging to a 10-6 lead in the third quarter, Mile High madness met a bout of anxiety until Denver's Champ Bailey stepped in front of Brady's third and goal pass in the end zone and raced 100 yards to the Patriots' 1, sending me into a flurry of high-fives with other orange-clad people; new best friends gained over the next three hours who I'll never see again.

As the Broncos increased their lead, orange euphoria -- and I hate to admit a few ugly alcohol-inducted displays of unsportsmanlike conduct toward Patriot fans sprinkled amoung us -- rose in elevation.

The surreal post-game celebration that included chants of "LET'S GO STEELERS" -- who would play the Colts the next day to keep the Broncos at home -- lasted nearly 40 minutes; the time it took for us to file out of Invesco. The Steelers must've heard the orange cries of a stadium and city so saturated in excitement over it's first playoff win that it craved another game. I learned on my ride home through the mountains on Sunday amid radio static and text messaging with Bronco friends new and old that the Steelers beat the Colts.

What were those few cross-country skiers I noticed in the woods thinking; seeking cardio-fitness when the needed to be out of the cold and in front of their TVs cheering -- on that day-- for the Men of Steel?

Get a life!

Empathy to Peyton Manning and the Colts, whose defeat with nothing but home field in front of them on the way to the Super Bowl conjured dark memories of the same sick feeling that all Bronco fans felt after a stunning home playoff loss to Jacksonville nine years ago.

Can the Broncos pass the Steelers on Sunday to qualify for their 7th Super Bowl? Another fived days and four hours of stress await this Bronco fan, and I'll love every restless moment until I find out.

Add another unforgettable Mile High memory as one of 76,000 fans who witnessed the historic night that Invesco Field moved out of the shadow of Mile High Stadium to find a soul of it's own.

Even if I can't be at Invesco Field for the AFC Championship on Sunday, my Orange and Blue heart will be there.

Most of my voice still is.

You can contact Spectrum sports wirter and hopeless Broncomaniac Doug Cary at [email protected].
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
    A local sportswriter here in Cedar City/St. George Utah area attended the game and wrote this column in this morning's paper. The only really disturbing thing was the mention of Patriot fans getting somewhat abused.

I Left My Voice In The Crush Of My First Mile High Playoff Game
    by: Doug Cary

The blood-curdling voices of 76,000 maniacs on a crisp January night in Denver brought back reminders of the long, lost - defeaning echoes of the old Mile High Stadium, now cleverly disguised as a parking lot next to Invesco Field, the Broncos' new home for the past five seasons.

Sure I have covered a handful of games at Invesco since 2001, including the Broncos' 12-10 yawner over the Baltimore Ravens in December. I thought I knew this new place better; that I had this new stadium all figured out.

If I'd somehow forgotten how much the city cared about its Broncos after tasting back to back Super Bowl vicotries at the end of the 1997 and 1998 -- seasons played at Mile High Stadium -- or that Invesco Field could never match the passion of that old, thunderous cathedral, I, like the New England Patriots, received a reality shake.

Broncos' country had been at a fever pitch days before the Saturday's first playoff game in Invesco, the two-time defending NFL Champion Patriots showed up on time and at altitude determinded to spoil the Orange and Blue party. Gunslinging Patriot quarterback Tom Brady sought the 11th straight playoff notch on his handle without a blemish.

Three hours later, Brady left 10-1 after the Broncos' 27-13 victory. To those in Patriots' country who have since questioned whether the Broncos' first Invesco playoff win was legitimate, let me offer an Orange and Blue hanky to wipe the sour grapes that stain your mouth. C'mon. Now that your "dynasty" is over, you can admit it; Brady really did fumble in the snow against the Raiders in the 2001 playoffs, no matter what the referees ruled.

Imagine yelling at the top of your lungs and not even hearing it, the sum of Invesco Field and 76,000 Bronco-maniacs. That sound battered the New Englanders' ear drums each time they had the ball.

How un-Patriotic.

Trailing 3-1 the Broncos exchanged a pair of Patriot fumbles and a pass interference penalty into a 10-3 halftime lead.

Clinging to a 10-6 lead in the third quarter, Mile High madness met a bout of anxiety until Denver's Champ Bailey stepped in front of Brady's third and goal pass in the end zone and raced 100 yards to the Patriots' 1, sending me into a flurry of high-fives with other orange-clad people; new best friends gained over the next three hours who I'll never see again.

As the Broncos increased their lead, orange euphoria -- and I hate to admit a few ugly alcohol-inducted displays of unsportsmanlike conduct toward Patriot fans sprinkled amoung us -- rose in elevation.

The surreal post-game celebration that included chants of "LET'S GO STEELERS" -- who would play the Colts the next day to keep the Broncos at home -- lasted nearly 40 minutes; the time it took for us to file out of Invesco. The Steelers must've heard the orange cries of a stadium and city so saturated in excitement over it's first playoff win that it craved another game. I learned on my ride home through the mountains on Sunday amid radio static and text messaging with Bronco friends new and old that the Steelers beat the Colts.

What were those few cross-country skiers I noticed in the woods thinking; seeking cardio-fitness when the needed to be out of the cold and in front of their TVs cheering -- on that day-- for the Men of Steel?

Get a life!

Empathy to Peyton Manning and the Colts, whose defeat with nothing but home field in front of them on the way to the Super Bowl conjured dark memories of the same sick feeling that all Bronco fans felt after a stunning home playoff loss to Jacksonville nine years ago.

Can the Broncos pass the Steelers on Sunday to qualify for their 7th Super Bowl? Another fived days and four hours of stress await this Bronco fan, and I'll love every restless moment until I find out.

Add another unforgettable Mile High memory as one of 76,000 fans who witnessed the historic night that Invesco Field moved out of the shadow of Mile High Stadium to find a soul of it's own.

Even if I can't be at Invesco Field for the AFC Championship on Sunday, my Orange and Blue heart will be there.

Most of my voice still is.

You can contact Spectrum sports wirter and hopeless Broncomaniac Doug Cary at [email protected].
    This man is 100% right, I spent atleast an hour in the parking lot and along federal blvd. just parting with new friends and chanting exactly what he said.
    I truely feel that if your a Bronco fan and you've never been to a game, you are missing out on a whole lot.
    Not trying to rub it in, Im just being honest! BTW Ozzy Osbourne was there riding around in a golf cart with Pat Bowlen as well, cause his own lil stir. Nothing like the stir that the Broncos cause but it was cool that he was there parting with the 76,000 screaming maniacs.
    sigpic

Comment

Very uplifting read 69,,,Thank you so much!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24
        BTW Ozzy Osbourne was there riding around in a golf cart with Pat Bowlen
        Not sure why I find this totally hysterical. How funny. I didn't know that Ozzy was a Bronco fan!
        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure whether Ozzy is lucid enought to realize which team is which. Maybe it was one of his "good" days. Just say no.

Comment

Working...
          X