Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13-3 - #2 seed - hosting AFC Championship game

While:
    • Having the best regular season record against teams with winning records (7-3) of any team that made the playoffs
    • One of the toughest strength of vicotry and schedule of any team in the league
    • Highest strength of victory of four remaining playoff teams (.471), Pitt second at (.415)
    • 2nd in the league in turnover differential - 20 picks

Anyway, the stats don't really matter. The Broncos and Steelers are nearly mirror images of each other. They both run the ball a ton and limit pass attempts. They both are among the best in stopping the run. Steelers have more sacks and give up fewer passing yards, but the passing yards is a bit deceiving.

If you normalize the passing yards per stat to the same number of attempts as the team with the most (Denver 613 - 64 more attempts against than Pitt), then Denver is 6th in the league. This is because while they give up a lot of yards per game, Denver had the 2nd lowest passing percentage against in the league.

So, you can feel warm and fuzzy looking at our 28th ranked pass defense, but if you don't put that in the perspective of Denver being first or second in first half scoring differential, and the fact that almost every team the Broncos play give up on the run by the first or second quarter (because they are so far behind), then you are just kidding yourself.

All that matters is what happens on Sunday.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thebigclock7
      pats passed for 341 yds , so it seems the broncos are holding up true to thier 29th ranking! if brady doesnt make over throws and was on all night we'd be heading to gillette sunday!
      Brady also had a passer rating of 74.0. Sorry I just like the stat it takes all the important figures into account gives them a proper weight.

Points of interest...
      Passer Rating against:
      Bengals - 71.4
      Colts - 80.4
      Broncos - 70.9
      Steelers - 71.7
      Found a nice website for calculating them http://home.new.rr.com/rosslahaye/

(Note: I had incorrectly calculated the Broncos passer rating before. I have to own up and give them their props now.)
      Yes I'm an insuffereable know-it-all, and thank you for noticing.

Comment

Despite the fact that Denver ranks 29th on pass defense, pass defense is the strength of the team. Denver has faced 30 more passes than any other team in the league and about 100 more passes than the league average. This has happened because Denver has gained some huge leads early against a lot of teams. Once Denver has gotten a lead like that, teams pass to try to catch up.

Despite this, Denver has a superb pass defense. Denver ranks third in the lowest completion percentage allowed and fourth in lowest yards allowed per attempt.

Compound that with the fact that Denver is ranked sixth in total interceptions (Though to be fair, this number is likely skewed by facing so many passes, too), and you can see that Denver is one of the top five pass defenses in the league.

Statistics are nice if you know how to evaluate them.
        My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
        . Post Your Artwork .
        . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Hey Pitt fans.....

How many TD's did your defense score? None? ok. Well how many INT's did you guys get? only 15? oh.......well uhhhh lease your yards against was lower then ours huh?

Try to come up with something new......this 29th rank thing is like beating a dead horse.
          sigpic

Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

Comment

Last time I checked it was points not yards that win or loose a game. Our D has been great at keeping teams out of the endzone as the game wears on. They don't mind giving up some yards while the teams pass down the middle and eat clock for Denver.

Comes down to this... Get an early 2 TD lead on us like you did against a rusty Indy team and I will be scared. If it is close in the 4th or we get the early lead (like we have most of the season) prepare your bags to return to the Steel City (AGAIN, what you guys are 0-6 lately in AFC championship games?).

Oh and I can see someone pointing out the fact it has been a few years since we have returned but try loosing your Lendendary QB, Shannon Sharpe, Ed McCaffery, John Mobley within three years and tell me how quick you can rebuild and still be in the playoffs almost every year. Shanahan is a genius and will show Cower how it is done come Sunday...
            Cutler 2008:
            » He was No. 3 in the NFL in 3rd down efficiency. NFL avg teams converted 39.5 percent of its third downs; Cutler converted 47.5 percent.
            »Threw for more yards than Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo and Ben Roethlisberger.
            » He had eight games of 300-plus passing yards (five of those at 350 or more), connecting for 15 TD's
            » 4th quarter of games Cutler completed 100 of 167 passes for 1,212 yards and 11 TD's with just four int's

Comment

pats passed for 341 yds , so it seems the broncos are holding up true to thier 29th ranking! if brady doesnt make over throws and was on all night we'd be heading to gillette sunday!
              Then minus 100 on int return yards then its just 241. How many rush yards did the pats have? Oh and are the Steelers a running team? Umm yea so passing is not the strengths here. Its the running game for both teams. Add your top 2 runners yards together and we'll do the same and tell me who wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaldon
                Then minus 100 on int return yards then its just 241. How many rush yards did the pats have? Oh and are the Steelers a running team? Umm yea so passing is not the strengths here. Its the running game for both teams. Add your top 2 runners yards together and we'll do the same and tell me who wins.
                And how many yards did they have against the Pats last week? 96. Total. Those kind of trends are only guidlines. Both teams are good at running and stopping the run. Both teams also have better pass defenses than they seem to get credit for. But I guess since the Broncos out rank the Steelers in almost every aspect, there's no point in playing the game. Or even looking past the stats at the actual match ups.
                Yes I'm an insuffereable know-it-all, and thank you for noticing.

Comment

Yardage Numbers lie sometimes!

big ben will carve that joke of a defense up like a thanksgiving turkey!

even the pathetic bengals secondary is ranked higher in wich ben had a 147 passer rating and 3 td passes!
                  It doesn't matter how many yards some team gets it is points against that matter and in the last 5 games Denvers defense has given up 10, 17, 3, 7, and 13. I would say they are being successfuly in pass and run defense.
                  NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

Not too mention that the Broncos have played around 20-25 (or more) quarters of 'prevent' defense due to big leads its run up in the first or second quarters. Yes, they have given up some yards, but they are among the best in points (as is Pitt).

The Broncos play a very agressive defense that gives up some plays in the middle of the field, but then buckles down inside the 20's.
                    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

YEAH JUST LIKE PEYTON OVERTHROWING HIS RECIEVERS BY 10 YARDS IF THE COLTS AND MANNING WERE ON THEIR GAME IT WOULD BE DENVER INDY ON SUNDAY. I LIVE IN PITTSBURGH AND THE STEELERS OR SQUEELERS AS I CALL THEM ARE WEAK

Comment

big ben will carve that joke of a defense up like a thanksgiving turkey!

even the pathetic bengals secondary is ranked higher in wich ben had a 147 passer rating and 3 td passes!
                        Another naive, disillusioned fan.... Anybody who actually knows anything about football knows that passing yards mean exactly squat if they don't produce points. Which is exactly what the Broncos do... sure we'll let you get some meaningless yards but you won't score on us. 200 yards in the fourth quarter means even less.
                        The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by Crush77
                          Oh and I can see someone pointing out the fact it has been a few years since we have returned but try loosing your Lendendary QB, Shannon Sharpe, Ed McCaffery, John Mobley within three years and tell me how quick you can rebuild and still be in the playoffs almost every year. Shanahan is a genius and will show Cower how it is done come Sunday...
                          Don't forget TD and Bill Romanowski!

Comment

We're 14-3.

Clearly, we've found ways to beat quality teams.

I hope you'll be back here once the steelers lose
                            Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaldon
                              guess you didnt warch the colts game , the steelers pass now to setup the run wich youll find out sunday! after jumping out to big leads they run in the second half!

Comment

guess you didnt warch the colts game , the steelers pass now to setup the run wich youll find out sunday! after jumping out to big leads they run in the second half!
                                All I hear is, "blah, blah, blah, I don't even know how to post in the right forum"
                                The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Working...
                                X