X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteeLVeinS
    replied
    Originally posted by Pandapeep
    Look, so what if our pass D is 29th? Last I checked the only stats that matter are 14-3 and 9-0 at home. Oh, and our pass D is so bad it only produced two pro bowlers and allowed less then 18 points a game, playing in the AFC west, meaning we had to play the Chiefs, Chargers and Raiders twice. Go ask Randy Moss, Eddie Quitison, Tony G, and Gates how good our pass D is.Face it, Big Ben will be hearing 3 things all day

in-com-plete
    wow... guess what... we were undefeated at home last year also... actually for more than a year.... we were 15-1 last year.... IT ALL COMES TO AN END!!!! so what's your point??

Leave a comment:

• SteeLVeinS
    replied
    Originally posted by thebigclock7
    cincy led the leage in interceptions and forced turnovers , that helped alot when ben passed for 3 ts , no ints and a passer rating of 147 2 weeks ago!
    i think that pretty much answers your question bronc fan... since you all have pretty much been basing your defense around your turnovers...

Leave a comment:

• Pandapeep
    replied
    Look, so what if our pass D is 29th? Last I checked the only stats that matter are 14-3 and 9-0 at home. Oh, and our pass D is so bad it only produced two pro bowlers and allowed less then 18 points a game, playing in the AFC west, meaning we had to play the Chiefs, Chargers and Raiders twice. Go ask Randy Moss, Eddie Quitison, Tony G, and Gates how good our pass D is.Face it, Big Ben will be hearing 3 things all day

in-com-plete

Leave a comment:

• bronc_fan23
    replied
    Despite the fact that Denver ranks 29th on pass defense, pass defense is the strength of the team. Denver has faced 30 more passes than any other team in the league and about 100 more passes than the league average. This has happened because Denver has gained some huge leads early against a lot of teams. Once Denver has gotten a lead like that, teams pass to try to catch up.

Despite this, Denver has a superb pass defense. Denver ranks third in the lowest completion percentage allowed and fourth in lowest yards allowed per attempt.

Compound that with the fact that Denver is ranked sixth in total interceptions (Though to be fair, this number is likely skewed by facing so many passes, too), and you can see that Denver is one of the top five pass defenses in the league.

Statistics are nice if you know how to evaluate them.

still waiting...

Leave a comment:

• thebigclock7
    replied
    Originally posted by broncosaurus
    He didn't, and you're not. That's how the game goes. Don't forget the Pats also had FIVE turnovers. You don't have to a top-rated pass defense to win when the opposition can't hang on to the ball.
    cincy led the leage in interceptions and forced turnovers , that helped alot when ben passed for 3 ts , no ints and a passer rating of 147 2 weeks ago!

Leave a comment:

• jletourneau
    replied
    Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
    Oh, and I never want to see a prevent defense again. That doesn't mean that I don't want to see us go somewhat conservative in our defensive playcalling if we get a lead, but we gave up that one touchdown because we were playing prevent. All that the prevent does is let them throw the ball fifteen yards down the field and force our safeties to tackle a guy in the open field with him moving at full speed.

Nope. Prevent defense is always a mistake.
    ugh, yeah, please don't bring up the prevent, I don't even want to think that word is in Coyer's vocabulary this week, it's bad, and we're horrible when we run it.

The zone blitz will allow us to do what you say and vary the blitzes, allowing them to come from the corner, up the gut, etc. And it allows us to drop back into different formations.

I think we'll use the zone blitz quite often, but I also think we have to use it with the all out blitz to make Big Ben worry from time to time. There have been a couple of times this year when we have settled consistently into the zone blitz, and sooner or later it just gets picked apart.

I sure hope we come out with a complex scheme this week, it would be very beneficial to us. We've run enough different things this year that we should have plenty of experience to draw from.

Leave a comment:

• Archimedes Owl
    replied
    Yeah, screens can be dangerous against the blitz, but they aren't easy to set up quickly if the pressure gets there very quickly, so I don't think that was a gigantic risk against the Pats.

The Pats had a horrible yards per carry average, so the Broncos knew that they didn't have to worry about the run game very much. This week, we'd risk Parker breaking one if we blitzed too much.

I'd like to see a good deal of blitzing, but out of different formations. I'd like to see some more disguised blitzes. I'd even like to see a corner blitz or two from the base defense. Then we will be able to apply pressure without risking the giant play by bringing the all-out blitz.

Oh, and I never want to see a prevent defense again. That doesn't mean that I don't want to see us go somewhat conservative in our defensive playcalling if we get a lead, but we gave up that one touchdown because we were playing prevent. All that the prevent does is let them throw the ball fifteen yards down the field and force our safeties to tackle a guy in the open field with him moving at full speed.

Nope. Prevent defense is always a mistake.

Leave a comment:

• bronc_fan23
    replied
    Despite the fact that Denver ranks 29th on pass defense, pass defense is the strength of the team. Denver has faced 30 more passes than any other team in the league and about 100 more passes than the league average. This has happened because Denver has gained some huge leads early against a lot of teams. Once Denver has gotten a lead like that, teams pass to try to catch up.

Despite this, Denver has a superb pass defense. Denver ranks third in the lowest completion percentage allowed and fourth in lowest yards allowed per attempt.

Compound that with the fact that Denver is ranked sixth in total interceptions (Though to be fair, this number is likely skewed by facing so many passes, too), and you can see that Denver is one of the top five pass defenses in the league.

Statistics are nice if you know how to evaluate them.

Bigclock7 whats ur response to this one?

Leave a comment:

• jletourneau
    replied
    Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
    We've only done a consistent full blitz attack against two teams:

The Eagles

The Patriots

What do these two teams have in common??

Neither can run the ball. It was because we could focus on the pass that Denver had much of their success against McNabb and Brady early in the game.

I wouldn't expect that type of blitz to be used against Pittsburgh. Sure, we'll blitz a lot and they'll have to figure it out, but we won't use it like we did against New England. We'll more likely have one of those game plans were we're dropping a ton of guys into coverage and expecting them to come up and make the tackle for very short gains against the dump off and to come up for the run. We'll likely use a read and react defense that will really utilize our speed.

Well, you can never really be sure of what the Broncos will do, but this is kind of what I expect.

EDIT:

Seahawks pass defense:

The Seahawks pass defense is ranked 25th in total yards allowed.

They are ranked 17th in yards per attempt, 12th in completion percentage yielded and 14th in interceptions.

Yes, they are better than their ranking would suggest. Though they are not in the same league of Denver or Pittsburgh.
    I would agree completely that there is a big difference between Philly and Pitt as far as the running game, but NE and Corey Dillon are a run threat and Philly and NE present something similar to the run that Pitt does not as much and that is the screen. The screen takes adavantage of the blitz and must be accounted for when blitzing similar to the run.

A benefit an all out blitz has against Big Ben compared to Tom Brady is that we are more likely to get more sacks. Ben does not have nearly the quick release or quick decisions that Brady does. He's tough and will hang in the pocket, but his quick reads are not as precise.

Also, like you said, I also mentioned that I think there will be numerous times where we will drop back in the zone blitz to creat confusion, but I think this could be set up early by flustering Ben with an all out attack. It will create a lack surety at the line of scrimmage and give Ben one more thing to think about as he begins to read the defense.

Plus, Bettis, who will get a good bit of the carries is not an effecive runner against the blitz, and likely would more often than not get swallowed by it. However, Willie Parker is more dangerous to try that against.

In light of the differences, I expect to see the Broncos run a lot of BOTH schemes varied throughout the game with A LOT of the pressure on Al Wilson to make calls at the line of scrimmage and QB the defense in and out of certain calls more than usual.

IMO, we want Al Wilson to get into a chess match against Big Ben. I'll take Wilson 9 out of 10 times with his experience and leadership.

Leave a comment:

• broncosaurus
    replied
    pats passed for 341 yds , so it seems the broncos are holding up true to thier 29th ranking! if brady doesnt make over throws and was on all night we'd be heading to gillette sunday!
    He didn't, and you're not. That's how the game goes. Don't forget the Pats also had FIVE turnovers. You don't have to a top-rated pass defense to win when the opposition can't hang on to the ball.

Leave a comment:

• Archimedes Owl
    replied
    We've only done a consistent full blitz attack against two teams:

The Eagles

The Patriots

What do these two teams have in common??

Neither can run the ball. It was because we could focus on the pass that Denver had much of their success against McNabb and Brady early in the game.

I wouldn't expect that type of blitz to be used against Pittsburgh. Sure, we'll blitz a lot and they'll have to figure it out, but we won't use it like we did against New England. We'll more likely have one of those game plans were we're dropping a ton of guys into coverage and expecting them to come up and make the tackle for very short gains against the dump off and to come up for the run. We'll likely use a read and react defense that will really utilize our speed.

Well, you can never really be sure of what the Broncos will do, but this is kind of what I expect.

EDIT:

Seahawks pass defense:

The Seahawks pass defense is ranked 25th in total yards allowed.

They are ranked 17th in yards per attempt, 12th in completion percentage yielded and 14th in interceptions.

Yes, they are better than their ranking would suggest. Though they are not in the same league of Denver or Pittsburgh.
    Last edited by Archimedes Owl; 01-18-2006, 05:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Reidman
    replied
    big ben will carve that joke of a defense up like a thanksgiving turkey!

even the pathetic bengals secondary is ranked higher in wich ben had a 147 passer rating and 3 td passes!
    That's great!
    But I thought the Steelers were a run oriented team.............

Leave a comment:

• jletourneau
    replied
    I wish Big Ben luck! Wait, no I don't, but I think he'll need it.

From everything I've heard, including Big Ben's interview today where he admitted that they like to come out throwing early against more aggressive defenses, like the Broncos, it seems to me that Denver will be expecting Big Ben to try and be efficient early.

I expect us to make Big Ben about as efficient as we made Donovan McNabb when he was in town. McNabb to that point had been efficient, still had T.O., and his very good o-line was still very much intact.

However, McNabb did not have the freedom to move around in the pocket to find his receivers, his reads were not clear, and the Broncos continued to mix thing up enough to keep McNabb guessing.

Big Ben reminds me a lot of McNabb, not quite as good yet, but he's a big, mobile QB with a strong arm, but can be vulnerable to big hits at times. Look for Big Ben to spend some time on the ground early, not because of our 8 man blitz that Brady saw and that the Steelers may even "max protect" for, but because of our 9 man blitz that we broke out consistently for one game this year against Philly.

Roethlisberger also isn't quite as quick yet on his reads, and may struggle when Denver goes from a 9 in the box blitz to a zone blitz within moments, creating quite a bit of confusion and a lack of expected throwing lanes.

Big Ben has a very strong arm and that is a great asset, but he doesn't have the quickest release IMO and that has gotten him in trouble in the past.

Denver's secondary may "technically" be ranked 29th, but it also faced far more pass attempts than most teams in the league and many of those yards given up were in garbage time due to big leads.

Big Ben better have some quick reads on smoke routes this week built in quite often and early in the game, and he better be ready to make those reads effectively, otherwise what Big Ben will face will be far from the 29th ranked pass defense. And even when those quick reads are there, he will have to be very careful with the Broncos' frequency of checking out of the blitz and falling into various zone schemes.

Denver changes things up a lot on defense and gives you a lot of different looks, it will be much different than what Ben is primarily watching on film. Ben will face a group of DB's far more opportunistic than what a 29 ranking shows, and his decisions and ability to make them quickly very well could be the x-factor in this game.

Leave a comment:

• DenverDaveinSC
    replied
    I can't wait to see lil ben tell us what the dirt tastes like.

Leave a comment:

• Roethlisburgh
    replied
    Originally posted by RBDynasty
    Another naive, disillusioned fan.... Anybody who actually knows anything about football knows that passing yards mean exactly squat if they don't produce points. Which is exactly what the Broncos do... sure we'll let you get some meaningless yards but you won't score on us. 200 yards in the fourth quarter means even less.
    The Steelers won't score on you? You seem to be the naive, disillusioned fan you refer to in your post. I have several thousand people who would like to take that bet. Be serious. The teams are evenly matched. Good defenses, offenses, good coaches. Remove the orange blinders and enjoy the game. I guarantee there will be points scored by both teams. Turnovers will probably decide the game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X