No announcement yet.

denver has the 29th ranked pass defense! lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite the fact that Denver ranks 29th on pass defense, pass defense is the strength of the team. Denver has faced 30 more passes than any other team in the league and about 100 more passes than the league average. This has happened because Denver has gained some huge leads early against a lot of teams. Once Denver has gotten a lead like that, teams pass to try to catch up.

Despite this, Denver has a superb pass defense. Denver ranks third in the lowest completion percentage allowed and fourth in lowest yards allowed per attempt.

Compound that with the fact that Denver is ranked sixth in total interceptions (Though to be fair, this number is likely skewed by facing so many passes, too), and you can see that Denver is one of the top five pass defenses in the league.

Statistics are nice if you know how to evaluate them.

Bigclock7 whats ur response to this one?
    sigpic
    DROY

Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon #98

Comment

Yeah, screens can be dangerous against the blitz, but they aren't easy to set up quickly if the pressure gets there very quickly, so I don't think that was a gigantic risk against the Pats.

The Pats had a horrible yards per carry average, so the Broncos knew that they didn't have to worry about the run game very much. This week, we'd risk Parker breaking one if we blitzed too much.

I'd like to see a good deal of blitzing, but out of different formations. I'd like to see some more disguised blitzes. I'd even like to see a corner blitz or two from the base defense. Then we will be able to apply pressure without risking the giant play by bringing the all-out blitz.

Oh, and I never want to see a prevent defense again. That doesn't mean that I don't want to see us go somewhat conservative in our defensive playcalling if we get a lead, but we gave up that one touchdown because we were playing prevent. All that the prevent does is let them throw the ball fifteen yards down the field and force our safeties to tackle a guy in the open field with him moving at full speed.

Nope. Prevent defense is always a mistake.
      My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
      . Post Your Artwork .
      . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
        Oh, and I never want to see a prevent defense again. That doesn't mean that I don't want to see us go somewhat conservative in our defensive playcalling if we get a lead, but we gave up that one touchdown because we were playing prevent. All that the prevent does is let them throw the ball fifteen yards down the field and force our safeties to tackle a guy in the open field with him moving at full speed.

Nope. Prevent defense is always a mistake.
        ugh, yeah, please don't bring up the prevent, I don't even want to think that word is in Coyer's vocabulary this week, it's bad, and we're horrible when we run it.

The zone blitz will allow us to do what you say and vary the blitzes, allowing them to come from the corner, up the gut, etc. And it allows us to drop back into different formations.

I think we'll use the zone blitz quite often, but I also think we have to use it with the all out blitz to make Big Ben worry from time to time. There have been a couple of times this year when we have settled consistently into the zone blitz, and sooner or later it just gets picked apart.

I sure hope we come out with a complex scheme this week, it would be very beneficial to us. We've run enough different things this year that we should have plenty of experience to draw from.

Comment

Originally posted by broncosaurus
          He didn't, and you're not. That's how the game goes. Don't forget the Pats also had FIVE turnovers. You don't have to a top-rated pass defense to win when the opposition can't hang on to the ball.
          cincy led the leage in interceptions and forced turnovers , that helped alot when ben passed for 3 ts , no ints and a passer rating of 147 2 weeks ago!

Comment

Despite the fact that Denver ranks 29th on pass defense, pass defense is the strength of the team. Denver has faced 30 more passes than any other team in the league and about 100 more passes than the league average. This has happened because Denver has gained some huge leads early against a lot of teams. Once Denver has gotten a lead like that, teams pass to try to catch up.

Despite this, Denver has a superb pass defense. Denver ranks third in the lowest completion percentage allowed and fourth in lowest yards allowed per attempt.

Compound that with the fact that Denver is ranked sixth in total interceptions (Though to be fair, this number is likely skewed by facing so many passes, too), and you can see that Denver is one of the top five pass defenses in the league.

Statistics are nice if you know how to evaluate them.

still waiting...
            sigpic
            DROY

Comment

Look, so what if our pass D is 29th? Last I checked the only stats that matter are 14-3 and 9-0 at home. Oh, and our pass D is so bad it only produced two pro bowlers and allowed less then 18 points a game, playing in the AFC west, meaning we had to play the Chiefs, Chargers and Raiders twice. Go ask Randy Moss, Eddie Quitison, Tony G, and Gates how good our pass D is.Face it, Big Ben will be hearing 3 things all day

in-com-plete

Comment

Originally posted by thebigclock7
                cincy led the leage in interceptions and forced turnovers , that helped alot when ben passed for 3 ts , no ints and a passer rating of 147 2 weeks ago!
                i think that pretty much answers your question bronc fan... since you all have pretty much been basing your defense around your turnovers...

Comment

Originally posted by Pandapeep
                  Look, so what if our pass D is 29th? Last I checked the only stats that matter are 14-3 and 9-0 at home. Oh, and our pass D is so bad it only produced two pro bowlers and allowed less then 18 points a game, playing in the AFC west, meaning we had to play the Chiefs, Chargers and Raiders twice. Go ask Randy Moss, Eddie Quitison, Tony G, and Gates how good our pass D is.Face it, Big Ben will be hearing 3 things all day

in-com-plete
                  wow... guess what... we were undefeated at home last year also... actually for more than a year.... we were 15-1 last year.... IT ALL COMES TO AN END!!!! so what's your point??

Comment

He already said the turnover stat was skewed.......this part has nothing to do with turnovers though
                    sigpic
                    DROY

Comment

Originally posted by thebigclock7
                      pats passed for 341 yds , so it seems the broncos are holding up true to thier 29th ranking! if brady doesnt make over throws and was on all night we'd be heading to gillette sunday!

if Brady didn't have someone about to hit him he never would of throw all those misses and 2 ints....believe it......NE stoped running the ball...all they could do was pass
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bronc_fan23
                        He already said the turnover stat was skewed.......this part has nothing to do with turnovers though
                        okay... you want a cookie??? i already posted how close the steelers and bronco pass D's are so what your point... and to correct you, denver has allowed 16.1 points a game and guess what... pittsburgh has allowed the EXACT same, 16.1 per game...

oh and just in case you didn't know... that is how most teams play... they get a lead and the other team has to pass to catch up...

i'll repost the stats on the two passing d's... in case you missed it the first time... you are making no point here...

Comment

Originally posted by SteeLVeinS
                          i have never disagreed... but the thing you are trying to do is take away everything from pitts pass defense... yeah, you all were passed on more than anyone in the league... however, if you look at the two pass defenses... they are so close to each other it is amazing how you all are 29th...

pitt / den
                          57.4 / 56.1 comp %
                          6.45 / 6.25 ypa
                          15 / 20 td's allowed
                          15 / 20 int (like you said skewed by the 60 more attempts but either way)
                          47 / 28 sacks
                          74 / 72.2 avg passer rating...

pretty damn close to me... the only reason that you all are so far down is yards allowed on those completions which bumps up your yards allowed per game... but don't try to take everything from teh steelers saying that NE has a better pass d than us and all that... come on... our and yours are identical to the naked eye...
                          here ya go.... just for you.. looks like we get to the QB quite a bit more than you though...

Comment

Originally posted by SteeLVeinS
                            okay... you want a cookie??? i already posted how close the steelers and bronco pass D's are so what your point... and to correct you, denver has allowed 16.1 points a game and guess what... pittsburgh has allowed the EXACT same, 16.1 per game...

oh and just in case you didn't know... that is how most teams play... they get a lead and the other team has to pass to catch up...

i'll repost the stats on the two passing d's... in case you missed it the first time... you are making no point here...

ive seen your arguments and can understand where you are coming from. I just want the guy starting the crap to back his OWN stuff up.
                            sigpic
                            DROY

Comment

Originally posted by bronc_fan23
                              ive seen your arguments and can understand where you are coming from. I just want the guy starting the crap to back his OWN stuff up.
                              i know but do you really need to explain yourself to the few that don't have a clue... apparently the knowledgable ones in here know how close the two are and realize it will be a close game but don't want to admit it... i have no problems admitting it... i think it's going to be another close game like the colts game for us... i'll say no more than a touchdown... turnovers will win the game... but don't expect us to caugh it up 5 times like NE and that is all i have been seeing around here i that ben is going to throw 6 int and all this BS... that's a little ridiculous and obsurd...

Comment

I agree that both pass defenses are very good and that their stats are comparable, but you did mention "Bengals" and "Denver's pass defense" in the same sentence.

You know that's not a fair comparison. Sure, the Bengals had more picks than Denver, but they allowed a higher completion percentage and a lot more yards per attempt.

In fact, Cinci is ranked 28th in yards allowed per attempt and completion percentage.

All that Cincy's pass defense did well was pick the ball off. The Broncos were an overall good passing defense. All that Denver doesn't do well is sack the QB (Not to say that they get no pressure, but when they have gotten pressure, the QB has been able to see it coming and get rid of the ball).
                                My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
                                . Post Your Artwork .
                                . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X