Weeknesses finally exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeknesses finally exposed

I grew up next door to Joe Collier and with his son Joel, who now coaches for the Patriots. Joe is still the best defensive coordinator this team has ever had and I'm still waiting for the day that he is elected into the Broncos hall of fame. He certainly deserves to be there.

As a former college and professional coach myself, let me tell you that I'm not surprised Denver got knocked out. Until they have the ability to put pressure on an opposing Q.B. with their down four alone, their pass defense will continue to rank near the bottom of the league. When you have to rely on the blitz to apply pressure it will catch up with you eventually.

The Broncos were thoroughly out-played against the Patriots and should have lost that game if not for the turnovers. A fairly weak schedule including a week AFC West this year had Denver overrated. They also are in need of a consistent play-making reciever, not just a once in awhile play-maker. Their first round draft emphasis should be on a rush defensive end.

As crazy as it sounds, they need to acquire Terrel Owens and put a clause in his contract that will prevent him from getting paid the full amount of his contract for disruptive behavior. I think he now understands that it's three strikes and you're out.

Remember, Denver's last big play-maker happened to be their quarterback, John Elway! Big time players like this come around only once in a great while. They need a game changer of this caliber before they will ever go back to the big dance! Everyone says that the Patriots don't have a big play maker and won as a team. What would you call Tom Brady?
    E_lee
    Practice Squad
    Last edited by E_lee; 01-22-2006, 09:33 PM.

Good call. Look over my post on "2006 Wish List" and see if you agree.

Yosemite Sam
    I don't want a winning season; I want a Dynasty!

Comment

They could have at least showed up. The defense was horrid, Jake had to go and prove the critics right by being Mistake Jake and choking in the big game. And even the fans seemed subdued. Tom Jackson even said everyone was sitting on their hands by mid 2nd quarter. Which by the way seemed to whip by so quickly. Blinked a couple of times and it was half time.

Every time Ben through a pass there wasn't a Bronco in sight around the receiver. 5-10 yard gaps on almost every play. The O-Line seemed non existent. Jake was running for his life all day. We couldn't run the ball to save our lives. Blitzing was worthless. Champ and Lynch both had to drop interceptions. Geeeeeeez. We just plain sucked.

I am just so disappointed as is every other Bronco fan so I am doing some venting here.
      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

Good post feel free to write more

Comment

Good points

You're obviously a knowledgeable football fan as you make many good points. I was a receiver coach for most of my coaching career and will tell you that this is one area that Denver really needs to upgrade. Lelie does not have the ability to transition his speed from verticle to horiontal so he does not run comebacks, outs, or curls well at all. Most of his catches are over the shoulder.

Plumber will be fine if he can get some talent at receiver. Rod Smith has never been a dominant receiver, just a consistent one. Personally, I think that Denver should trade it's two first round picks and package them with a player or two to move up as far in the draft as possible. They need to draft the best defensive rush end on the board. In an ideal world, regardless of their d-line necessities, moving up to number one to take Reggie Bush would be tremendous. It's happened before...remember 1983? I've been watching Reggie play since highschool as I coached in the San Diego area and coached against him in a C.I.F Championship game. He's the best highschool player I've ever seen. I was saying back then that he would win the Heisman one day. His style of running would work wonders in the cut-back zone scheme that Denver runs.

Anyway, back to reality. The bottom line, Denver needs a pass rush with the front four and a big time reciever...and maybe even a running back. They needed to give Ron Daine much more of a look than they did. These moves will get them where they want to go. In reference to Plummer, even Elway didn't put up great stats in his Superbowl years, he simply controlled the offense and took what the defense gave.

Comment

Originally posted by E_lee
            I grew up next door to Joe Collier and with his son Joel, who now coaches for the Patriots. Joe is still the best defensive coordinator this team has ever had and I'm still waiting for the day that he is elected into the Broncos hall of fame. He certainly deserves to be there.

As a former college and professional coach myself, let me tell you that I'm not surprised Denver got knocked out. Until they have the ability to put pressure on an opposing Q.B. with their down four alone, their pass defense will continue to rank near the bottom of the league. When you have to rely on the blitz to apply pressure it will catch up with you eventually.

The Broncos were thoroughly out-played against the Patriots and should have lost that game if not for the turnovers. A fairly weak schedule including a week AFC West this year had Denver overrated. They also are in need of a consistent play-making reciever, not just a once in awhile play-maker. Their first round draft emphasis should be on a rush defensive end.

As crazy as it sounds, they need to acquire Terrel Owens and put a clause in his contract that will prevent him from getting paid the full amount of his contract for disruptive behavior. I think he now understands that it's three strikes and you're out.

Remember, Denver's last big play-maker happened to be their quarterback, John Elway! Big time players like this come around only once in a great while. They need a game changer of this caliber before they will ever go back to the big dance! Everyone says that the Patriots don't have a big play maker and won as a team. What would you call Tom Brady?
            Weak schedule? Wrongamundo. That moniker belonged to the likes of Jax, Sea, Pitt, etx......
            If it hadn't been for 2 games, the AFCW COULD have had 3 participants in it.
            TO?
            The only one I'll agree with you, is the Dline. They HAVE to be able to penetrate and put pressure on the QB withOUT blitzing.
            Though I did see some of that against Pitt, it wasn't enough.
            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

A Weak AFC West Schedule???? What season were you watching? The AFC West was the strongest divison in the NFL. Now if I were the Patriots, that was a weak division.

I know you're a Pat homer so just go back to your boards and talk about your now 10-1 in the playoffs Brady.

Always remember to blow out the flame before drinking!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69
                They could have at least showed up. The defense was horrid, Jake had to go and prove the critics right by being Mistake Jake and choking in the big game. And even the fans seemed subdued. Tom Jackson even said everyone was sitting on their hands by mid 2nd quarter. Which by the way seemed to whip by so quickly. Blinked a couple of times and it was half time.

Every time Ben through a pass there wasn't a Bronco in sight around the receiver. 5-10 yard gaps on almost every play. The O-Line seemed non existent. Jake was running for his life all day. We couldn't run the ball to save our lives. Blitzing was worthless. Champ and Lynch both had to drop interceptions. Geeeeeeez. We just plain sucked.

I am just so disappointed as is every other Bronco fan so I am doing some venting here.
                The defensive game plan was very bad! You can't give a receiver 8 yards of room playing a soft corner when blitzing. Why Coyer didn't have the defensive backs up in press on the receivers is the question I have? The Steelers don't have great speed at receiver so Denver should have pressed. The Steelers out-coached Coyer big time!

Comment

E Lee,

I lived in Oceanside and Escondido for about 15 years. Went to Palomar College. Ended up teaching there for a while but never coached. Did you know Red Prichard out of Merced College up in the central valley?

We sure agree on the DL rusher and the big receiver. I think we can trade Anderson, Bell, Lelie, and 2 DL (except Pryce) and still be able to do exactly what we did this year. With the trade bait, we throw in draft picks, cash, get out of jail free cards, whatever, for those 2 position players.

I don't think that Shanahan can coach TO. Are you aware of any DL/WR prospects in this year's draft?

1983? Wasn't that the year we gave up one of our good draft picks for some guy?
                  I don't want a winning season; I want a Dynasty!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                    Weak schedule? Wrongamundo. That moniker belonged to the likes of Jax, Sea, Pitt, etx......
                    If it hadn't been for 2 games, the AFCW COULD have had 3 participants in it.
                    TO?
                    The only one I'll agree with you, is the Dline. They HAVE to be able to penetrate and put pressure on the QB withOUT blitzing.
                    Though I did see some of that against Pitt, it wasn't enough.
                    If Pittsburg was one of those teams that had a week schedule, according to you, then how did they end up with such a poor regular season record and how did they just beat the tar out of Denver?

Comment

I agree with some of your post, but I will share with what I disagree. We had a strong schedule and lost to winning teams. The afc west is one of the tops in the nfl, Denver BEAT new england, you say it was because of turnovers, well 4 turnovers killed us today, look at the stats, they are fairly even, except turnovers. There are other recievers then T.O. You are right, the lack of pass rush from the line on a consistant basis was the biggest downfall. The line was built to stop the run, and normally good run defensive lines tend to be horrible at pass rushes.
                      A wise man once said "Remember to be yourself, or you might find yourself by yourself, and that aint cool. Any fool can learn from his or her mistakes, but it takes a wise person to learn from mistakes made by others. Persistance always overcomes resistance."

Comment

Originally posted by YosemiteSam
                        E Lee,

I lived in Oceanside and Escondido for about 15 years. Went to Palomar College. Ended up teaching there for a while but never coached. Did you know Red Prichard out of Merced College up in the central valley?

We sure agree on the DL rusher and the big receiver. I think we can trade Anderson, Bell, Lelie, and 2 DL (except Pryce) and still be able to do exactly what we did this year. With the trade bait, we throw in draft picks, cash, get out of jail free cards, whatever, for those 2 position players.

I don't think that Shanahan can coach TO. Are you aware of any DL/WR prospects in this year's draft?

1983? Wasn't that the year we gave up one of our good draft picks for some guy?
                        I coached at Palomar in 03 and 04! As far as the draft pick comment in 1983, I was referring to the trade Denver made with Baltimore to get Elway.

I'm not aware of specific names as I haven't paid much attention. I don't think it would be a matte of Shannahan having to coach T.O. as any contract that he signs will end up dictating his behavior. Any team that doensn't put that type of clause in a contract is asking for trouble. You can make him behave by doing so.

Comment

Pats homer, hardly!!!!!

Originally posted by Bokyong
                          A Weak AFC West Schedule???? What season were you watching? The AFC West was the strongest divison in the NFL. Now if I were the Patriots, that was a weak division.

I know you're a Pat homer so just go back to your boards and talk about your now 10-1 in the playoffs Brady.
                          Pat homer? Hardly! You obviosly didn't read my post thoroughly. I grew up in Denver next door to Denver's legendary defensive coordinator, Joe Collier! I've been watching the Broncos since I was 6 years old.

If you truly knew football from a coaches perspective you would understand my statement about a weak schedule. It's not a matter of the records of the teams in the AFC West as all the teams in the AFC West had week schedules. The only reason several of them almost made the play-offs is due to the weaker teams that they played and Denver's no exception.

Bottom line, Denver got their butts kicked by a much better football team today. They also got out-coached. Part of being a real fan is understanding reality and what the team you cheer for needs to get better!

Comment

Pat homer? Hardly! You obviosly didn't read my post thoroughly. I grew up in Denver next door to Denver's legendary defensive coordinator, Joe Collier! I've been watching the Broncos since I was 6 years old.

If you truly knew football from a coaches perspective you would understand my statement about a weak schedule. It's not a matter of the records of the teams in the AFC West as all the teams in the AFC West had week schedules. The only reason several of them almost made the play-offs is due to the weaker teams that they played and Denver's no exception.

Bottom line, Denver got their butts kicked by a much better football team today. They also got out-coached. Part of being a real fan is understanding reality and what the team you cheer for needs to get better!
                            No one is disputing what happened today, what is being desputed is that denver and their accomplishments this year. They earned the playoffs by beating good teams. The west had some of the toughest schedules in the nfl. Denver earned their record, and they earned their seed, and they earned their loss. Like I said, denver's loses came to winning teams, and they beat teams like the pats, chiefs, chargers twice, cowboys, redskins, and jacksonville. Those are but a few.
                            A wise man once said "Remember to be yourself, or you might find yourself by yourself, and that aint cool. Any fool can learn from his or her mistakes, but it takes a wise person to learn from mistakes made by others. Persistance always overcomes resistance."

Comment

If Pittsburg was one of those teams that had a week schedule, according to you, then how did they end up with such a poor regular season record and how did they just beat the tar out of Denver?
                              Since when does a poor schedule mean you can't be a good team?

And add back into the winning column, the 4 losses when ben was out, and what do you have?

Plus, compare THIS pitt team, to the one during the regular season, and it's night/day.

They've changed their offensive mindset.....more passing than the run.
                              And they're blitzing their lb's much more. Not to mention, their secondary has gone through some growing pains.

I'm surprised by your question! It wasn't very 'coach-like'.....
                              rcsodak
                              Step UP, or Step OFF!
                              Last edited by rcsodak; 01-22-2006, 10:40 PM.
                              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X