what ever happened to the Broncos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what ever happened to the Broncos

I've been a diehard Bronco Fan for more than 30 years. I've seen the highs and lows and this has to rate as one of the lows. This compares to when Jacksonville cam to Denver in the 96 playoffs and Kicked our backside. We were favored then and we're favored now. I love the broncos, so much so I am also their biggest critic. While watching the game, Pitts offense and defense was easy to read. Run, Pass, Blitz, they didn't hide anything, they just came with their "A" game.
    The game started with our defense folding and ended with our offense flat. Plummer still has the monkey on his back and the defense should be held accountable for the lack of defense they showed throughout the game. There was never any adjustment, there was never any sense of urgency on their part. They dropped or let go 4 easy interceptions, they let two rookies look like superstars.
    Even with all this, I still support my team but changes has to come. They need to start on the offensive line. They have never been good at teams with speed. Porter and the other LB's were in the backfield all day, the defensive line was pushed around and the DB's got burned regularly. Throughout the entire year we were third from the bottom in terms of sacks. Our pass defense was horrible even with Bailey in the backfield. The new corners were not consistent from game to game and that is the only thing I thought would happen at the beginning of the season. We need a deep threat at WR other than Ashley. He's fast but again not consistent.

Originally posted by Bronco - holic
    I've been a diehard Bronco Fan for more than 30 years. I've seen the highs and lows and this has to rate as one of the lows. This compares to when Jacksonville cam to Denver in the 96 playoffs and Kicked our backside. We were favored then and we're favored now.

This isnt the least bit comparable to that game. Denver was favored by like 17 in that game.

This game was a tossup with the home field allowing Denver to be a slight favorite. The better team won.

Denver is still a few players away.

Quick: I haven't had my ass whipped in a while. Probably been since like...1911?
    Sugar Ray: Yeah, thats when you were born and the doctor slapped you on the ass.
    Quick: Yes, thats the last ass whipping I recall. And I'm looking for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco - holic
      Even with all this, I still support my team but changes has to come. They need to start on the offensive line.
      I could not agree more.

Comment

Glue's analysis of the loss...

What happened yesterday? Why did the Broncos give such a poor showing of themselves since the Miami game? My opinion of the biggest contributors to the loss.

1. Defense! They just didn't not come to play. They played flatter than the pancakes I make for breakfast in the first half - especially after Champ missed that INT. Champ seemed to do a decent job but whoever the other CB was covering seemed to always be open. Perhaps having Darrent at 100% could have been enough to change the outcome, maybe not. I don't know if that would have been enough with how flat the defense looked yesterday.

2. O-Line. Had a hard time protecting Jake and an even harder time creating running lanes for Mike and Tatum. I think it might be time to invest in a bigger O-line. Small and quick doesn't seem to be getting it done without A. Gibbs. Then again, maybe Shanny is in the middle of beefing up the line.

3. Jake. Ill-advised passes seem to still be a problem - at least when the game is on the line. I haven't turned into a Jake basher, but trying to force a pass has ALWAYS caused problems for this team. Both interceptions were a result of poor decisions and both resulted in momentum shifting plays. The first leads to (essentially) the game ending score. The second negates an excellent run-back by Adams and sabotages our last hope at a comeback.

Do we ditch Jake at the first opportunity, develop Bradlee or keep Jake around? I don't know. He is in the bottom half of his career so another QB to replace him will need to be found within the next 3 or 4 years.

4. Coaching. The Broncos didn't seem to adjust at all (beyond the defense actually playing harder) after half-time. Shanahan did the obvious to ditch the run and go to passing, but was there a single pass in which Jake rolled out? All I remember was Jake drops back to pass from the pocket. Either it breaks down and he's running for his life or he manages to get the pass off with pressure in his face. Why not mix up the passing some and through in some designed roll-out passing plays? I remember John rolling out plenty of times (and not from play action either.)

I think Shanahan was just plain beat in game-planning. I don't think getting rid of Shanny is a viable option. The 3 best teams in the NFL have the longest tenured HC's (Denver being one of them and played against the other two.) Shanahan has shown he can keep this team competitive and I think will take us back to the Big Dance, I'm just saying that Cowher did a better job of prepping for yesterday's game.

Comment

There is plenty to say about yesterday's lost...all I can say is the Steelers got the momentum early and pretty much kept it the entire way.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
          2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Heartbreakinggggggggggg

Well I too am very disappointed at the results of yesterdays game considering my wife is a Steelers fan and rubbed it in my face thourhgout the game. I am baffled on what hapened. Jake seemed either nervous or flat cuz his passes were not with authority like he has done in the past. I hope this is not the sign of anohter draought of losing the big one. I take my hat off to the Steelers who wanted much more then my Broncos.

Comment

Working...
            X