Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiper Q&A

Some interesting tidbits from Oct. 19th

Brad (Cincinnati, OH): If Reggie Bush, Laurence Maroney, Lendale White and Michael Bush were to all come out early where would they rank? How many could go in the first round with DeAngelo Williams and maybe Leon Washington?

Mel Kiper:
    I'd throw Brian Calhoun in there, too..

I think Bush would be the No. 2 pick this year. Maroney would be the 2nd highest Jr. back, then White, then Calhoun and the 5th would be Michael Bush.

White is a mid-to-late 1st rounder, Calhoun is a late 1st-rounder.

And of the seniors, DeAngelo Williams is a first-rounder and Leon Washington is a POTENTIAL 1st-rounder.

Out of those six, I'd say four of them are first-rounders (R. Bush, Maroney, D. Williams and L. White)....and two potentials in Calhoun and Washington.

Brian(MD): How high do you think Vernon Davis will go in the draft if he enters. Being a MD fan i hope he doesnt but watching him this season has been incredible.

Mel Kiper:
    He's a great pass-receiving TE. He reminds me of Kellen Winslow II as a college player, because of his 6'3, 253 lbs. athletic frame. Great ability in the open field after the catch. He's never going to be much of a blocker, but you'll gain a great pass-catching option.

I think he's a mid-first rounder. The only TE you can see going ahead of him is Leonard Pope, who is another junior.

Three senior TEs could end up in the 1st or 2nd round: Marcedes Lewis (UCLA), Joe Klopfenstein (Colorado), Dominique Byrd (USC).

Jay (New York): Hey Mel, what are the prospects for Miami OT Eric Winston, he hasn't been playing as well after the knee injury.

Mel Kiper:
    Stock is dropping. Remember he missed the majority of the 2004 season...he's had some games where he didn't look anything like a 1st-round draft choice. He needs to play better to be a 1st-rounder or let alone a 2nd-rounder. The 2nd half of the season is critical for Winston as far as his future.
    Nathan Orlando, Fl: Who do you think are the top 5 wide receivers coming out this year? There doesn't seem to be as many as last year. Also being a UCF alumn, how does Brandon Marshall rank on your board?

Mel Kiper:
    First of all, the senior group has two late 1st or early 2nd rounder....Derek Hagan (Arizona St.) and Hank Baskett (New Mexico).

From the junior class, two guys jump out. Santonio Holmes (Ohio State) and Chad Jackson (Florida). You may only have one WR in the 1st round in 2006! There's no Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards in this draft.

I would say Hagan is my top senior WR.

As far as Marshall goes, he brings a lot of size and athleticism 6'4, 225 lbs., and on the 2nd day he may get some attention.
    Paul (NYC): With the NFL season being 1/3 over what do you see as the biggest need for the Cleveland Browns in the 2006 NFL Draft. I am leaning towards a LT or pass rusher.

Mel Kiper:
    They want DL and OL...that's where they'd prefer to go. They weren't able to fill all their needs last year.

The top LT is D'Brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia and a guy that's moved up is RT Ryan O'Callaghan at 6'6 340 lbs. from Cal. He suffered a concussion in last week's game vs Oregon St., snapping a streak of 18 straight games with a 100-yard rusher.

Those are your top tackles on the left and right sides.
    rich: Mel, if you could rate Marcus Vick on your board now, where we he fall if he was in this years draft

Mel Kiper:
    I would just rate him with the juniors...

Vince Young, then Brady Quinn are 1 and 1a. Next would be Drew Stanton from Michigan St., then Marcus Vick would be 4th, followed by Omar Jacobs and Jordan Palmer. Those are the ratings among juniors.

This is Vick's first full year as starter, so another year can only help his cause!
    Ken (SC): Where do you see Elvis Dumervil in the draft?

Mel Kiper:
    I call him Doctor Doom. He's just a great pass rusher. He's only 6'0 255 lbs., but he's got long arms, he's great off the edge and has about 17 sacks this season already. You name it, he leads the nation in it.

He reminds me a little of Robert Mathis of the Colts. He may be a situational guy, but he can get after the QB like no other.

" Paul (NYC): With the NFL season being 1/3 over what do you see as the biggest need for the Cleveland Browns in the 2006 NFL Draft. I am leaning towards a LT or pass rusher.

Mel Kiper:

Quote:
    They want DL and OL...that's where they'd prefer to go. They weren't able to fill all their needs last year.

The top LT is D'Brickashaw Ferguson from Virginia and a guy that's moved up is RT Ryan O'Callaghan at 6'6 340 lbs. from Cal. He suffered a concussion in last week's game vs Oregon St., snapping a streak of 18 straight games with a 100-yard rusher.

Those are your top tackles on the left and right sides. "

Not interested. If AJ Hawk is still on the boards there is no way the Browns pass him up.
    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

I highly doubt the Browns go LB if they pick in the top 10, which they likely will.

This is a very deep LB draft, they can easily get a solid prospect in the early 2nd round. A LB within the top 15 picks is generally unheard of unless its a rush LB for a 3-4 set. That's NOT AJ Hawk.

If you're going rush LB in a 3-4, you're looking at:

1) Mathias Kiwanuka
      2) Elvis Dumervil
      3) Kamerion Wimbley

Its not going to be a WLB such as Hawk. We learned that last season with Derrick Johnson who is superior to Hawk.

If you forego OT, and you probably will if Ferguson is gone, then Kiwanuka makes the most sense, and is the best pick value wise. Haloti Ngata as a NT makes a ton of sense too.

Comment

Working...
      X