X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jletourneau
    replied
    Originally posted by MindField
    OK, so the Texans Draft Leinhart No.1 and trade back two or three spaces to a team that covets Leinhart, pick up a bunch of Draft pix, and still come away with D'Brick or Jonathan Scott....all the while they still pocket three or four additonal pix in the meantime.

Sounds like an ideal situation for the Texans.

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    Originally posted by jletourneau
    I don't know, I can see where you're coming from for sure, but...

I've heard that Charlie Casserly has already committed to picking up Carr's option, and I'd think they'd want to see if the investment they've made in him could succeed if he's actually protected. I really think Houston will come away with D'brickshaw Ferguson, if he can bolster their o-line with a FA addition or two, they have some nice weapons with Johnson, Davis, and an up and coming Mathis who is starting to emerge some.

But I do agree strongly with your notion that Kubiak will be their next coach.

I really think the Titans or Jets will end up with Leinart. Perhaps a top 5 like this...

1. Houston - D. Ferguson
    2. Tennesee- M. Leinart (re-united with Chow, perhaps the Titans and Texans swap these picks to land these two needs.
    3. San Francisco- Reggie Bush
    4. Green Bay- Mario Williams
    5. Cleveland- D. Ryans

OK, so the Texans Draft Leinhart No.1 and trade back two or three spaces to a team that covets Leinhart, pick up a bunch of Draft pix, and still come away with D'Brick or Jonathan Scott....all the while they still pocket three or four additonal pix in the meantime.

Leave a comment:

• OhNoKoolAid
    replied
    Originally posted by jletourneau

I've heard that Charlie Casserly has already committed to picking up Carr's option, and I'd think they'd want to see if the investment they've made in him could succeed if he's actually protected. I really think Houston will come away with D'brickshaw Ferguson, if he can bolster their o-line with a FA addition or two, they have some nice weapons with Johnson, Davis, and an up and coming Mathis who is starting to emerge some.

I really think the Titans or Jets will end up with Leinart. Perhaps a top 5 like this...

1. Houston - D. Ferguson
    2. Tennesee- M. Leinart (re-united with Chow, perhaps the Titans and Texans swap these picks to land these two needs.
    5. Cleveland- D. Ryans
    I can see those players going with those teams easily. You could also swap Hawk and Ryans if you'd like, since they are interchangable at this point. Should the Texans retain Carr, they will almost assuredly move down, hopefully within the top few picks, and nab Ferguson later, like pick five. Ferguson is a great talent, but the PR of taking a tackle over a guy like Reggie Bush never looks good, no matter how logical the pick is in reality. Cleveland fans falsely drooling over Charlie Frye may not agree with me, but they could have an interest in the Leinart sweepstakes before this is said and done. Frye will likely play three or four games this season, and the team will have a good look t its status at the position.

Other wildcards still exsist. If Billick stays in Baltimore, Boller won't be going anywhere, and judging by the last half of the season, and the free agent/draft moves, it is worth giving Kyle a real fair shake at the position, be it the last half of this year, or next. If Billick leaves, Boller's days could be numbered, and Leinart will be seen as the missing piece.

The Jets are due to give Pennington a big roster bonus this offseason, and that might not be too appealling with the uncertainty of his arm after multiple rotator cuff problems. Pennington is a good QB, but how much can Edwards count on him when his job will be on the line next season? If this team continues to tumble, add them to the Leinart sweepstakes, but the salary cap ramifications of cutting Penngington AND aquiring Leinart may be too much for the perpetually cap strapped Jets.

Several other storylines could play out in the last half of the year, and you could see eight teams with a genuine interest in upgrading the quarterback position. The last eight games are especially crucial for a guy like Collins of Oakland, and Johnson/Culpepper (I know he's out) of Minnesota especially if Tice is dropped and the owner cleans house. Detroit, Arizona, Miami...

Leave a comment:

• Snk16
    replied
    Originally posted by broncosrules05
    A source with the USC Trojans confirmed that Green Bay has been scouting quarterback Matt Leinart – somewhat of a surprise considering it chose Cal's Aaron Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft. Should the 1-6 Packers end up with the No. 1 pick in next year's draft, conventional wisdom suggests the team would take a hard look at USC tailback Reggie Bush. But they have apparently been showing interest in Leinart, too.
    That doesn't necessarily mean the Packers aren't happy with Rodgers, who has appeared to be further from starting than initially hoped. Many teams do their due diligence with top-rated players, even when they are stocked at a position. And with Leinart being considered a "franchise" quarterback, the No. 1 pick is expected to have plenty of value for trade. However, one NFC personnel source said he wouldn't be surprised if the Packers are legitimately interested in Leinart.

"He would have been taken (over Alex Smith)," he said of Leinart. "Who knows exactly what they've seen from Rodgers since he's gotten in there. I don't think anyone would have told you Rodgers had a better grade than Leinart going into the (2005) draft. Maybe they are interested in Leinart. I know this: If I thought one player was far better than another, especially at quarterback, I would take a long, long look at it. But considering they just spent a first-round pick on Rodgers and will have a year invested in him, they would have to think there's a huge disparity."

hmm this should be interesting.
    No way. They already spent a first pick on Aaron Rodgers.

Leave a comment:

• Calif. Bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by TDforTatum26
    no guy comes out of Notre Dame early....
    ????? Do they lock them up or something ??????? The only reason that may be true is because Notre Dame hasn't had a whole lot of great players in the last 10 years (since coming out early became more fashionable) so it hasn't been an issue.

Leave a comment:

• jletourneau
    replied
    Originally posted by MindField
    Green Bay will not have a chance to get him unless they are the worst team in the League...

Look, right now, Houston looks like they will end up No.1, and either way, they will take Leinhart, count on it.

Then they will be able to a) hire a new Coach and give him a fresh start with Leinhart, especially since David Carr is becoming Kurt Warner with every passing day, that is a shell-shocked veteran who is becoming more and more gunshy due to the beatings he has taken...

or

b) They draft Leinhart and hold him ransom for a multitude of Draft pix...

Personally, I think Gary Kubiak is going to be offered the Texans job if he wants it, and who would choose to keep Carr over Leinhart at this point??

Not me....and I think the idea of starting with a 'franchise' QB such as Leinhart is what every new Coach dreams of...

1. Houston - D. Ferguson
    5. Cleveland- D. Ryans

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    Nope

Green Bay will not have a chance to get him unless they are the worst team in the League...

Look, right now, Houston looks like they will end up No.1, and either way, they will take Leinhart, count on it.

Then they will be able to a) hire a new Coach and give him a fresh start with Leinhart, especially since David Carr is becoming Kurt Warner with every passing day, that is a shell-shocked veteran who is becoming more and more gunshy due to the beatings he has taken...

or

b) They draft Leinhart and hold him ransom for a multitude of Draft pix...

Personally, I think Gary Kubiak is going to be offered the Texans job if he wants it, and who would choose to keep Carr over Leinhart at this point??

Not me....and I think the idea of starting with a 'franchise' QB such as Leinhart is what every new Coach dreams of...
    Last edited by MindField; 11-11-2005, 10:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TXBRONC
    replied
    ATM I don't see either the Packers or the Texans taking Leinart. How could the Packes be unhappy with Rogers he hasn't even had a chance to play. Also why would the Texans give up on Carr? It not his fault Capers his offensive line stinks. Absolutely no way the Texans give up on Carr right now.

Leave a comment:

• Dawgfan
    replied
    [QUOTE=Mat'hir Uth Gan]Yes, you're right. The future is so obviously bright with Dilfer and Frye.

[QUOTE]

Thank you for seeing it my way. Quarterback is the least of the Browns concerns.

Leave a comment:

• Kapaibro
    replied
    The Pack don't need a QB in the draft, they need healthy players for the QB to throw to! And to run the ball, and to cover the QB, and to do pretty much everything else except throw the ball!

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Originally posted by Dawgfan

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Leinart going to the Browns?!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

To Heck with Leinart!!

Yes, you're right. The future is so obviously bright with Dilfer and Frye.

QUICK! My shades!

Leave a comment:

• TDforTatum26
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam24
    Why the hell Houston will take him is because David has a clause in his contract stating he can void the final year of his contract. Would you stay on such a team that refuses to add you quality protection? Thats why the hell they will take him!! Keep up and know whats going on around the league if your gonna be posting about it.

maybe if the drafted D'Brick like they should and will he will stay.....

Leave a comment:

• Sam_Z
    replied
    Originally posted by TDforTatum26
    why the hell would houston take him?

Carr has looked pretty good WHEN HIS LINE DECIDES TO PRETECT HIM. houston will take D'Brick. he is the best pass blocking OT in the draft. and the need help. bad. they're draft picks will be OL's mainly....an if they arent then IMO they would be very stupid....

I dont understand why Green Bay would take Leinert. they invested a first round pick in Rodgers....and should give him a chance before they even consider Leinert.I think they are just scouting him because they can....but they wont take him.
    Why the hell Houston will take him is because David has a clause in his contract stating he can void the final year of his contract. Would you stay on such a team that refuses to add you quality protection? Thats why the hell they will take him!! Keep up and know whats going on around the league if your gonna be posting about it.

Leave a comment:

• Dawgfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    I think San Fran will finish with the worst record and they will trade the 1st overall pick to somebody who wants Leinart, probably the Lions, Cardinals, Browns, Jets, Titans, Saints, or Vikings. My money is on the Lions doing everything they have to do to get Leinart.

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Leinart going to the Browns?!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

To Heck with Leinart!!

Leave a comment:

• OhNoKoolAid
    replied
    I would be suprised if Jacobs did not come out. At this point I think he is around the middle of round one, but he's a bit of an enigma and could float around the board until draft day. What he cannot do is prove much more in college unless BGSU makes a concerted effort to change its offense to a dropback, downfield attack, but this would be a pointless gesture for a single player leaving school in a year. Jacobs has mastered the intermediate passing game required of him at BGSU, and I don't think remaining in school another year will help his stock. If anything else, the upcoming crop of eligible QBs next season could hurt his stock more than anything else. Jacobs may be wise to leave early.

Quinn needs to stay, I really do believe. He has the makings of a terrific dropback passer, but you can tell he lacks the refinement of a Matt Leinart, Carson Palmer type. He taks too many hits in the pocket and needs more work on developing the QB's internal clock. Another year at ND would also give Quinn the chance to showcase progression in calling his own game and display true leadership fundamentals on the field. At this point, Quinn is a solid player, but still in need of much refinement, and starting him next season could bring Boller-esque results to his respective team. Quinn has the chance to be the number one pick NEXT year. He should stay.

Vince Young is the real toss up. Clearly, he has made great strides this season and looks to be no worse than average as a passer in the NFL with plus running ability. Yet, he still stands a chance to gain so much more by staying another year. He won't become a superb passer over the course of one season, so he may not elevate his stock more than five to ten picks. He will be drafted for his athleticism anyways, so his stock is close to its highest point this year. I wouldn't fault him on either choice, but if the juniors mentioned above stay in school, Young's demand may be at its highest point this year, and I would expect his selection at the back end of the top ten, since this class lacks real depth. I wouldn't buy into anything Young says at the moment. his status is very much up in the air.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X