Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will Shanahan use the two first round picks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will Shanahan use the two first round picks?

How do you think the Broncos will use the two first round picks? Besides whether they use them or trade one or both, what do you think the Broncos focus will be in the draft?
    Pick Two Players
    68.57%
    Trade Up
    11.43%
    Trade Down
    20.00%
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

I'll let you know after the season is over

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
      How do you think the Broncos will use the two first round picks? Besides whether they use them or trade one or both, what do you think the Broncos focus will be in the draft?
      Shannahan doesn't even know, but I would guess he has something up his sleeve.
      The three Keys to football
      1. Turnovers
      2. Field Position
      3. Red Zone Play

Comment

I think it boils down to which Free Agents we can re-sign:

Matt Lepsis - If we can't sign him there are some real stud OT's coming out next year that should be available late 1st rd (Joe Thomas Wisconsin, Johathan Scott Texas, Marcus McNeill Auburn)

Gerrard Warren - Solid list of Defensive tackles available late 1st (Claude Wroten LSU, Jesse Mahelona Tennesse)

Trevor Pryce / Courtney Brown - There are some exciting Defensive Ends available for 2006 draft. Potential late 1st rd (Tamba Hali Penn St., Elvis Dumervil Lousville)

Stephen Alexander - There are 3-4 solid TE prospects: (Marcedes Lewis UCLA, Leonard Pope Georgia, Vernon Davis, Maryland)

Safeties - LaRon Landry LSU, Darnell Bing USC, Greg BLue Georgia

Comment

I think Michael Huff would be a great pick, however i dont think that the Redskins pick would be that high unless they lose the rest of their games.

He would be such a big help to the Broncos because he can play safety and cornerback. He would be like a better version of Sam Brandon because he is so fast and is such a ballhawk.

With John Lynch and Nick Ferguson up their in age, i think that drafting a safety would be a wise choice because Chris Young, Sam Brandon, and Brandon Browner are not adequate replacements for now.

Comment

There is an additional aspect to having the two first round picks that we might not be considering. The finances.

We are currently 27.5 million over the salary cap. That's without resigning Matt Lepsis or Gerrard Warren or Ron Dayne or Courtney Brown or anyone else.

Two first round picks along with a full load of other round picks might be too much of a strain on our salary cap. I'm not exactly sure how the rookie pool fits in to everything and how having multiple first round picks impacts your rookie pool, so if anyone has that information, share it. But looking at things practically, it makes more financial sense, being so far over the cap already, to trade away one of the first round picks so we only pay one first round salary.

Comment

This "27 million over the cap..." is blown way out of proportion, and is crap really... last thing I saw from John Clayton (or someone over at ESPN) said it was more like 4 million... so who really knows what to think...

Besides the fact that Sundquist (or Sunny as i like to call him ) has done recent interviews stating that these caps situations are worked out years in advance, so they have a fairly good idea what is going to be spent when... to think that they would arrange the cap so poorly that we would be forced to "get rid of a pick, cause we won't be able to afford them", I think would show a very poor plan, and I won't believe this whole "27 million" nonsense until the season is though and we have concrete numbers to look at.

(Out of curiosity MUG.... where do you get this from, you are the only one that ever says anything about it???

And so you know... I am not "calling you out, or calling you a liar... I am just curious... )

Now back on topic... I think they will use both picks in the first, because admittedly (by Shanny and others in Broncoland) some of our past first rounders have been "up to snuff", and this is a good oportunity to make up a little ground in the depth category that we lack because of "lackluster" former 1st round picks.

I want...
              Michael Huff first and foremost...
              I agree with 'juco that our safties are getting "up there", and to have someone that can also perform corner duties, I would think can be a great advantage, that versatility would be fantastic!

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

I think none of the above.

I think Shanny will use the first one for a pick and will use the second one to gain additional picks in a later round.
                Emancipate your mind!
                The People's Poster

Comment

Ok, so I have been looking around and can really only find one thing.. .it is pretty damning though....

The Denver Broncos have 46 players under contract with $117.809 million against the cap. That's $27.8 million over the cap. However, while Denver's number seems high on the surface but isn't as treacherous as the others in their division.

They'll need to add a few players to get up to 53 but they aren't in the grave shape of the Raiders. What can Denver do? DT Trevor Pryce is counting $10.296 against the 2006 cap. They will surely ask him to help them but after Pryce was already asked to take a pay cut, he should insist against it somehow get released to hit the open market. Pryce has shown he's back to Pro Bowl form and could likely get paid on the open market. They could also restructure and give him another lucrative contract that will help their cap situation. They could save about $7 million by re-doing him but he won't take another cut.

The can re-do Champ Bailey ($9.798 million cap hit) and pick up about $4 million. They can pick up about $7.6 million if they waive good-bye to Gerard Warren. Between offensive linemen Matt Lepsis and Tom Nalen they are costing $10.4 million but both have contracts that void. Releasing Ebenezer Ekuban would free up about $3 million.
                  I will still wait and see what happens before totally discounting the idea of keeping 2 #1's.

Not to mention you are also allocated aditional cap space depending on picks in the draft... we'll call it rookie money. I don't all of the specifics, but do know we got some help last year (and probably many othe ryears as well, it was just the first I had heard (last year)

Comment

Though the cap always plays a rather large role, there are a couple of things that bear watching in regards to the cap and how much it will affect teams like Denver.

Denver does have a higher payroll already, and 2 first round picks will further cloud that while they make their FA decisions.

But, the biggest thing we need to watch is the CBA agreement between the league and the union. If a new one is reached by the FA period, there will be a lot more flexibility for teams to work with.

The Colts have been dangerously close to the cap with the big contracts given out recently, like Manning's 34mill guarantee, but, even they will probably be able to get E. James and R. Wayne re-signed at SIGNIFCANT contracts, without much Manning restructuring if the league and union are able to strike a new deal.

Long story short, hope for a deal in January, and I would not be surprised to see it happen right around the Super Bowl for a variety of reasons, not the least of which would be tremendous publicity.

Comment

Im pretty sure alot of veterans will take cuts. I cant even remember how many re-structured their contracts this year. Alot of players will want to stay with the Broncos. What kind of player would want to leave a winning team just for the money? Kenoy Kennedy is on a losing team and Reggie Hayward's stats are down. All i know is that Shanahan will pull through like he always does.

BTW i think everyone should jump on the Michael Huff bandwagon. Denver seems to have a thing for tweener players. Cecil Sapp, Sam Brandon, most of the linemen, Curome Cox, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ttejuco
                        BTW i think everyone should jump on the Michael Huff bandwagon.
                        BroncoFanCam <-- on the bandwagon

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                          There is an additional aspect to having the two first round picks that we might not be considering. The finances.

We are currently 27.5 million over the salary cap. That's without resigning Matt Lepsis or Gerrard Warren or Ron Dayne or Courtney Brown or anyone else.

Two first round picks along with a full load of other round picks might be too much of a strain on our salary cap. I'm not exactly sure how the rookie pool fits in to everything and how having multiple first round picks impacts your rookie pool, so if anyone has that information, share it. But looking at things practically, it makes more financial sense, being so far over the cap already, to trade away one of the first round picks so we only pay one first round salary.

I win!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X