Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't look now, but the 49ers may have no chance of scoring Reggie Bush after all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perry1977
    replied
    I agree, however Houston already did that with Carr, and look where it got them. They could feasibly get the top tackle, center AND guard out of this draft if they play their cards right, and completely revamp the line for the next decade. I think if they draft Leinart they will just be more of the same. The real question is, are they going to be too enamored with Reggie Bush to pass him up? Don't forget, Bush is going to put twice as many butts in seats than Leinart ever will.

Leave a comment:

• MindField
    replied
    No.1

Originally posted by Perry1977
    No kidding. The whole point of this was if Houston happens to win. Regardless, 2 months ago I posted a mock that had Houston with the first pick and trading down to #3.
    If I am Houston, I scrap David Carr and make it a Two Fer One special...

I hire Pete Carroll to take over as HC, and then Draft Leinhart to give him back his QB. If I can add Norm Chow to the mix as O-Coordinator with a pending shakeup in Tennessee, so much the better.

David Carr suffers from Kurt Warner Shock syndrome....too much punishment, too many sacks. He is jumpy in the pocket, and makes hasty decisions.

You have him for another year to groom Leinhart like the Bengals did with Palmer, and then trade Carr elsewhere in 2007.

But to me, Houston is dog meat....they might as well start over with a new QB in
    Leinhart.

Ask Detroit fans how many Championships Barry Sanders helped them win.

Same sorta deal in Houston if they take Bush.

Rule No.1 in the NFL Draft is and has always been, take the Franchise QB when you can, period, and Matt Leinhart is just that.

Leave a comment:

• Perry1977
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangePeel
    In no point in your scenario did you tihink that if the texans get the #1 pick, they would most likely trade down, possibly to #3, or #4, since they dont need either Bush or Leinart, but evidently Ferguson? the Bush to San Francisco Dreams are not out yet, it is still in the picutre, and im bettting if the circumstances allow it, it will happen.

No kidding. The whole point of this was if Houston happens to win. Regardless, 2 months ago I posted a mock that had Houston with the first pick and trading down to #3.

Leave a comment:

• OrangePeel
    replied
    Originally posted by SM19
    Wow. This scenario doesn't favor anyone. The Texans desperately need to draft D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but I can't imagine they'll pass up Reggie Bush to do it.

You cant imagine theyd pass up reggie bush even though they just gave domanick davis a 5 year contract extension?

Leave a comment:

• OrangePeel
    replied
    Originally posted by Perry1977
    I saw this on ESPN tonight. Evidently, if several teams are tied with the same record, the draft order is determined by strength of schedule; the teams with weaker schedules pick before teams with stronger ones.

For a minute, let's just say that the Texans screw up and beat the 49ers this week. This would give them a 3-13 final record. There are 4 other teams who could possibly end up with a 3-13 mark as well: the 49ers would have it in this scenario (since they lose to the Texans), and the Saints, Jets, and Green Bay can all finish with this record as well. So all 5 teams could conceiveably have a shot at the first pick, but the order is determined by the following strength of schedule:

1) Saints .507
    2) Packers .520
    3) Jets .547
    4) Texans .556
    5) 49ers .573

The question then becomes: Do the Saints pick Bush even though they have Deuce McAlister on the roster, or do they go with the franchise quarterback they need so badly in Leinart? If they decide to pick the quarterback, then Bush falls to the Packers! No team in the NFL needs a running back so badly, either, as they are on about their 7th starter, and Ahman Green is a free agent after this year anyways.

Many speculate that Bush could possibly land in San Fran with his old high school teammate Alex Smith...but look at what happens: if even by some miracle all the other 3-12 teams win, and the 49ers manage to lose to Houston, the Texans would still be able to pick in front of the Niners! Therefore, San Francisco has virtually no chance to select Bush....so wipe him off your mocks to the Niners!

Here's the bottom dweller team's opponents this week:

Houston at San Francisco
    Green Bay vs. Seattle (at home)
    New Orleans at Tampa Bay
    N.Y. Jets vs. Buffalo (at home)

A new Orleans loss is the easiest to predict; the Bucs are still fighting for postseason position and could even still earn a first round bye, so they have every reason to play hard and pound the hapless Saints at home.

The Green Bay and Jets games are a little more difficult to predict, however. While it's true that the Packers completely suck and the Seahawks are as good as they are bad, this is probably Brett Favre's last game at Lambeau Field...and the Seahawks have already secured home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The only thing they really have to play for is getting Shuan Alexander at least 1 touchdown to break Priest Holmes's record of 27 TDs in a single season. Other than that, they have no reason or need to play well in this game. However, Holmgren has already stated that if his players are healthy, they will play. Alexander left the team this week because of a death in the family, but he expects to be ready to go against the Packers. My best guess is the starters will play the entire first half, and Alexander will put up a couple more TD's and get the record, and the backups will come in for the second half. The Packers still suck too much to mount a comeback against the 2nd team, and the Pack falls to 3-13.

The Jets are at home against a crappy Bills team, so this one is hard to figure out as well. Neither team has any playoff hopes, and it seems to me that Buffalo used up all its good luck last week against the Bengals on the road. I will go out on a limb here and say the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets go on to win the game and finish at 4-12 on the year.

So even if Houston is stupid enough to win this game, the draft order could very well look like this:

1. New Orleans Saints
    2. Green Bay Packers
    3. Houston Texans
    4. San Franciso 49ers

Leinart to the Saints, Bush to the Pack, Ferguson to the Texans, and maybe Winston to the Niners...

So even if the 49ers manage to lose to the Texans, and if all the other 3-13 teams somehow win...the Texans would still pick in front of the Niners!! This means that the only possible way for San Fran to get Bush is if Houston somehow decides to pick someone other than Bush.....OR the 9ers pull off a monster trade with the first pickers to get the first overall.

Crazy stuff!!
    In no point in your scenario did you tihink that if the texans get the #1 pick, they would most likely trade down, possibly to #3, or #4, since they dont need either Bush or Leinart, but evidently Ferguson? the Bush to San Francisco Dreams are not out yet, it is still in the picutre, and im bettting if the circumstances allow it, it will happen.

Leave a comment:

• Don't look now, but the 49ers may have no chance of scoring Reggie Bush after all

I saw this on ESPN tonight. Evidently, if several teams are tied with the same record, the draft order is determined by strength of schedule; the teams with weaker schedules pick before teams with stronger ones.

For a minute, let's just say that the Texans screw up and beat the 49ers this week. This would give them a 3-13 final record. There are 4 other teams who could possibly end up with a 3-13 mark as well: the 49ers would have it in this scenario (since they lose to the Texans), and the Saints, Jets, and Green Bay can all finish with this record as well. So all 5 teams could conceiveably have a shot at the first pick, but the order is determined by the following strength of schedule:

1) Saints .507
    2) Packers .520
    3) Jets .547
    4) Texans .556
    5) 49ers .573

The question then becomes: Do the Saints pick Bush even though they have Deuce McAlister on the roster, or do they go with the franchise quarterback they need so badly in Leinart? If they decide to pick the quarterback, then Bush falls to the Packers! No team in the NFL needs a running back so badly, either, as they are on about their 7th starter, and Ahman Green is a free agent after this year anyways.

Many speculate that Bush could possibly land in San Fran with his old high school teammate Alex Smith...but look at what happens: if even by some miracle all the other 3-12 teams win, and the 49ers manage to lose to Houston, the Texans would still be able to pick in front of the Niners! Therefore, San Francisco has virtually no chance to select Bush....so wipe him off your mocks to the Niners!

Here's the bottom dweller team's opponents this week:

Houston at San Francisco
    Green Bay vs. Seattle (at home)
    New Orleans at Tampa Bay
    N.Y. Jets vs. Buffalo (at home)

A new Orleans loss is the easiest to predict; the Bucs are still fighting for postseason position and could even still earn a first round bye, so they have every reason to play hard and pound the hapless Saints at home.

The Green Bay and Jets games are a little more difficult to predict, however. While it's true that the Packers completely suck and the Seahawks are as good as they are bad, this is probably Brett Favre's last game at Lambeau Field...and the Seahawks have already secured home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The only thing they really have to play for is getting Shuan Alexander at least 1 touchdown to break Priest Holmes's record of 27 TDs in a single season. Other than that, they have no reason or need to play well in this game. However, Holmgren has already stated that if his players are healthy, they will play. Alexander left the team this week because of a death in the family, but he expects to be ready to go against the Packers. My best guess is the starters will play the entire first half, and Alexander will put up a couple more TD's and get the record, and the backups will come in for the second half. The Packers still suck too much to mount a comeback against the 2nd team, and the Pack falls to 3-13.

The Jets are at home against a crappy Bills team, so this one is hard to figure out as well. Neither team has any playoff hopes, and it seems to me that Buffalo used up all its good luck last week against the Bengals on the road. I will go out on a limb here and say the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets go on to win the game and finish at 4-12 on the year.

So even if Houston is stupid enough to win this game, the draft order could very well look like this:

1. New Orleans Saints
    2. Green Bay Packers
    3. Houston Texans
    4. San Franciso 49ers

Leinart to the Saints, Bush to the Pack, Ferguson to the Texans, and maybe Winston to the Niners...

So even if the 49ers manage to lose to the Texans, and if all the other 3-13 teams somehow win...the Texans would still pick in front of the Niners!! This means that the only possible way for San Fran to get Bush is if Houston somehow decides to pick someone other than Bush.....OR the 9ers pull off a monster trade with the first pickers to get the first overall.

Crazy stuff!!
Working...
X