Vernon Davis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vernon Davis?

I've been poking through some various mock draft sites and this guy keeps popping up as a possible #22 (at about the same frequency as Kiwi and Chad Jackson). I don't follow the Terps and I'm really hoping we go d-line, but I was wondering what some of this board's draft gurus thought of him. Would he be a good pick up?

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
    I've been poking through some various mock draft sites and this guy keeps popping up as a possible #22 (at about the same frequency as Kiwi and Chad Jackson). I don't follow the Terps and I'm really hoping we go d-line, but I was wondering what some of this board's draft gurus thought of him. Would he be a good pick up?

He seems to be the latest "hot item" in the TE department. Initially Marcedes Lewis was all the rage, but Vernon has surpassed him on most draft charts as the #1 TE. He isn't as tall as Lewis or Pope (6'6" and 6'7" respectively) at 6'3", but he is somewhat of a "workout warrior" who puts up great numbers in the weight room. He is also deceptively fast, running a 4.4 40 time.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...rnondavis.html

I have been a fan of drafting him if he's available to fill a void at TE, but at this points speculation is that he will be long gone by the time we pick at 22.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
      He seems to be the latest "hot item" in the TE department. Initially Marcedes Lewis was all the rage, but Vernon has surpassed him on most draft charts as the #1 TE. He isn't as tall as Lewis or Pope (6'6" and 6'7" respectively) at 6'3", but he is somewhat of a "workout warrior" who puts up great numbers in the weight room. He is also deceptively fast, running a 4.4 40 time.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sco...rnondavis.html

I have been a fan of drafting him if he's available to fill a void at TE, but at this points speculation is that he will be long gone by the time we pick at 22.

Thanks for the info, Perry.

Comment

Yea, he should be long gone at 22. He could go as high as no. 6/7 overall...

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
          I have no problem with drafting Vernon Davis. That will give us a solid TE first stringer. As logn as he isn't a bust in the draft which I'm pretty sure he won't! I would rather get Kiwi and Davis than Kiwi and Jackson. I think we could get a WR in free agency or jsut wait until next year to draft a guy at WR since Rod Smith will still be here for at least another year. Even though getting Jackson now would give him time to develop into an NFL type WR from college.

This is how I see it if we get Jackson. next year in the 06-07 season he'll play 3rd string and be our solid 3rd string without controversy. Ashley Lelie being 2nd string since he can't develop into 1st and Rod Smith being first string. Then in the 07-08 season Smith will or should retire but if he doesn't the scenario will be the same as the 06-07 season. But if he does retire Jackson becomes 1st string and Lelie stays at 2nd since I don't think he will be the type of player to become a first string WR but always be our solid 2nd string and a like him there. We just needc ot get him more involved in our passing game. We don't use him enough. We don't throw deep enough abd that's were Lelie comes in handy alot of the time. That's what I think of this situation.

If we get Vernon Davis then he will be our first stringer for a LONG time and then Jeb Putzier will be an extremely reliable 2nd stringer. Then I think Kiwi will be our stud DE. But for some reason I don't see it likely for Vernon Davis to fall THAT far. We shouldn't use our first first round pick on Davis we should wait for our 2nd first round pick and hope he's there. So first we'll address the DE situation and get Kiwi and that'll be good for the whole team.
          MMA News
          MMA News 247

Comment

Davis has been described as WR in a TE's body. I watched him in the ESPN competition and was impressed by his athletic ability, speed, and soft hands. Unfortunately as mentioned by Perry in this thread he will be long gone by the time we pick.

Comment

Vernon Davis will be great in a role like a hatchback, very similiar to what Cooley plays at Washington, catching passes out of the backfield, lining up both at TE anf FB.

I think he will be a special player in the NFL. But I also do think Denver's fine with Johnson at FB and Putz as our recieving TE.

Some team will be lucky to land Davis.

Comment

While we are on the topic of TE's, this is a very high value position this year all of the top three, four, maybe five guys would have blown Heath Miller out of the water last year. I am not a fan of drafting one early but I would definitely be cool with one coming up in the first three rounds.

Comment

Working...
                X