Jets to trade up to number one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jets to trade up to number one?

I heard on ESPN Radio today that the Jets are done with Pennington, and are looking to trade up to the number one spot to get Leinart or Young. The Texans would move down to 4, and draft dbrickishaw.

That move would make the most sense for both teams...lets see if it happens.
    Administrator

sigpic

Originally posted by Tatum26Bell
    I heard on ESPN Radio today that the Jets are done with Pennington, and are looking to trade up to the number one spot to get Leinart or Young. The Texans would move down to 4, and draft dbrickishaw.

No. If someone skips on reggie bush, they are the definition of retarded. Lineman come and go, runningbacks like Reggie Bush however, do not.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

Reggie Bush is not a for sure. Not nearly as much as D'Brick. Personally I would do it in a heart beat.
      http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatum26Bell

Regardless of the post above me, (i.e. 'retarded') such a trade makes sense because it addresses each teams GREATEST need.

Yes, Bush is a special talent, but if you need a QB or O-lineman more desperately, why would draft him? Just to trade him anyway? Might as well trade the pick, as I think Texas should do.

I think if Bush goes #1, its because Texas trades with Green Bay or Tennessee, provided they (Houston) feels that D'brockshaw will be still be available there. Tennessee could use Bush, as Brown is ok, but injury prone, and not as versatile as Bush. Plus, he knows Norn Chow's system. Sam Gado was a surprise this year, but come on, he is not the go to RB up there in Wisconsin.

But Texas absolutely needs 1 or 2 offensive lineman.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
        You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
          Regardless of the post above me, (i.e. 'retarded') such a trade makes sense because it addresses each teams GREATEST need.

Yes, Bush is a special talent, but if you need a QB or O-lineman more desperately, why would draft him? Just to trade him anyway? Might as well trade the pick, as I think Texas should do.

I think if Bush goes #1, its because Texas trades with Green Bay or Tennessee, provided they (Houston) feels that D'brockshaw will be still be available there. Tennessee could use Bush, as Brown is ok, but injury prone, and not as versatile as Bush. Plus, he knows Norn Chow's system. Sam Gado was a surprise this year, but come on, he is not the go to RB up there in Wisconsin.

Exactly, this trade makes sense for both teams.

What good is Reggie Bush to Houston if there is zero blocking for him?

Meanwhile, the Jets are likely to release Chad Pennington, and they need a quarterback.

Originally posted by The|Snake#16
          No. If someone skips on reggie bush, they are the definition of retarded. Lineman come and go, runningbacks like Reggie Bush however, do not.
          Linemen come and go, but if you're Houston, and you're QB got sacked more than anyone else, you don't need a runningback, you need line help.

The people that think teams should take the best available player don't really understand football.

That would be like us drafting Peyton Manning number one overall, with John Elway in his prime as our Quarterback.

Teams draft what they need, if they get to a point where they feel like they've met all their needs, they take the best available player.
          Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Maybe this signals something good for us

Specualtion has been that the Texans would be the team to spend big bucks to lure Lepsis away from us. If they're working a trade to fill their number 1 need through the draft then maybe Kubiak believes Lepsis will stay here to win a championship rather than bolt to help some new kids.

Not that I give two shakes about Texas or NY but I hope this happens!!
            "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Actually I think you have that backwards. Good running backs come and go but offensive linemen like D'rickshaw don't. The talent difference the texans have from Dominick davis to reggie bush is not as big as from ther best offensive lineman to dbrickshaw. History has shown us that our system (the same one texas is going to run) you can draft a rb late in the draft and they can be very productive. Reggie bush is as electric as a player that I have seen come out of college in a long time. But he only avg about 15 carries a game and he is pretty small for an nfl running back. I can not see him holding up to the nfl pounding that rb's take especially small ones just ask Brian Westbrook, Carnell Williams,Priest Holmes, & even Portis has been hurt alot. This dosn't even count the fact that as proven two years ago by the Giants the going rate to move from 4 to 1 is next years first rounder and a couple mid round picks on top of that number 4 pick. For a team that has as many holes as the texans I would much rather have Dbrickshaw, An additional top ten pick next year (cause the jets arn't getting no better) & a couple xtra mid round picks between this year and next then to take my chances that reggie bush is going to be able to hold up to the nfl pounding as electric as he his.
              sigpic

Thanks to dbfan2007 for sig

Comment

Don't forget, the Texans have the 33rd pick as well, which in this draft is plenty early to land a franchise-caliber Left Tackle after taking Bush 1st overall.

Comment

i have been wondering for weeks if this might happen. it makes sense. . . for both teams.

new york: this team is absolutely desparate for a quality starting QB. it looks like pennington is done, and they pretty much don't have anyone else-- what, jay feidler is gonna be their starter next year? brooks bollinger? nope. . . this is the perfect oppurtunity for eric mangini to lay the foundation for his success in new york, and draft a QB who has been compared by some to the QB for his last team, that guy named brady (very premature comparison, btw-- but leinart IS projected to be a very good pro). . . an added bonus is that leinart won't have any problems adjusting to the pressure cooker of playing in new york after being in the national spotlight and playing with big time celebrities on the sidelines in LA. . .

the jets are in a desparate situation. . . it seems very likely that leinart and young will go 2 and 3 if no trades are made-- are the jets gonna draft jay cutler #4? doubt it. . . if they can add a legit NFL QB like brees or culpepper through a trade or FA, fine-- but otherwise, it makes a lot more sense to bite the bullet and make the trade than to mess around with a retread like aaron brooks, griese, kerry collins or any of the other QB that speculation has potentially being available this off-season. . . sure, they have other needs (who doesn't?), but finding a franchise QB is the most difficult hole to fill, and gives you a great piece to build around for a long time when you find one. . .

houston: i agree with champ, great left tackles are harder to find than great running backs (look around the current league), and they have a much greater shelf-life. . . the texans have a solid back, he isn't great and in no way compares to bush's potential, but he has done pertty well behind some straight-up sorry lines. . . kubes has seen teams win with guys like MA and droughns, he knows if your O-line is good enough, you don't absolutely have to have a superstar RB to have a good ground game. . . he has also seen the value of having a franchise left tackle. . . if the texans stay with carr, it is IMPERATIVE that they get him some better protection-- taking brick would go a long way towards improving the worst line in football. while i agree with perry that they can take bush and still find a good OLT later in the draft, will a guy like, say, eric winston really be the difference-maker on the line that most scouts think brick will?

don't forget, they will get a king's ransom of extra picks if they make this trade-- including, most likely, next year's number 1 from a team that will probably start a rookie QB, has a first-time head coach, and plays in a division that could be pretty tough next year-- that could turn out to be a valuable pick! an additional 2nd rounder this year would help a lot, too-- the texans need a TE, and there could be someone like leonard pope or dominique byrd available with the jets 2nd rounder, or the defensive line help they will need in their transformation to a 4-3 base defense.

not saying that this trade WILL happen by any means, but i am saying that i think there is a good possibility of it-- it would help both teams to fill holes that they are desparate to fill, and therefore makes a lot of sense.
                  Last edited by dogfish; 02-20-2006, 04:57 PM.
                  Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Oh, and how many rings does Barry Sanders have? Zero. Gayle Sayers? Nada.

Comment

to me this trade is a no-brainer for both teams. the jets are only a year removed form the playoffs but they need a qb. giving up 3 or 4 picks to get that is the smart route to go. then they can get a back in the 2nd round, preferably someone who can handle the pounding inside to keep martin fresh. they may be right back into the playoff race next season.

the texans need oline more than anything else. getting a franchise tackle will immediately make carr and davis bettter, which in turn will make johnson better. they improve alot more by adding d'brick than bush, as great as bush may be. but is bush going to be better than barry sanders? and like perry just posted, how many superbowls did sanders take the lions to?

so the next question (if this pick goes through) is where does bush end up going? i cant see the saints taking him. they have duece (one of the top 5 backs in the game today, imo) and need a qb. but after brooks didnt turn out, they might be shy about going after another 'athlete' who is a bit of a project. and tennesee needs to find mcnair's heir. young would be a perfect fit their. perhaps another trade? but i think the saints take young and norm chow gets reacqauinted with bush.
                      "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Jared

Agree with you 100% Jared.
                        The Texans have a good RB. Linemen like D'Brick only come around every so often also.

Comment

Leinart to New Orleans

New Orleans is drooling over Matt Leinart. He is the best prepared for the NFL coming out. Young may very well have more talent in the long run, but Leinart reads defenses better and understands defenses better because of Pete Carroll. After Brooks, Leinart looks like a savior.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado69
                            New Orleans is drooling over Matt Leinart. He is the best prepared for the NFL coming out. Young may very well have more talent in the long run, but Leinart reads defenses better and understands defenses better because of Pete Carroll. After Brooks, Leinart looks like a savior.
                            which is exactly why the jets will have to trade up to #1 if they want him. . .
                            Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

wont happen

Comment

Working...
                              X