It's official: Huff is a corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official: Huff is a corner

With an unofficial time of 4.37, he is currently tied for the fastest time amongst defensive backs. His resume includes shutting down Mark Clayton a year ago at corner, and his game speed backs up such a time. Too good of an athlete to play at safety, and San Fran could come calling at pick six.

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
    With an unofficial time of 4.37, he is currently tied for the fastest time amongst defensive backs. His resume includes shutting down Mark Clayton a year ago at corner, and his game speed backs up such a time. Too good of an athlete to play at safety, and San Fran could come calling at pick six.
    Dang that's fast. How would you compare him to last years corners?

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
      It's a bit of a tough call because he played the last year at safety, but going off scouting reports and not their rookie seasons, Huff would have gone head to head with Antrell Rolle. Rolle is a player I like a lot, and he may be more natural in tight coverage or press coverage, but Huff is a better athlete. He's better than Pac Man as a cover guy, trumps his size, and has comparable athleticism. I think Pac Man was drafted for his versatility as a kick returner though, so it's too hard to say he would have gone before him. It certainly would have changed the landscape, and Rogers would have fallen to the middle of round one.

Comment

and his versatility can only help his draft stock. . .
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
          I think that he is better than Rolle and Pac-Man. He will be a good pick to anybody that gets him. He has shut down the best QB in the draft, and an All-American WR in the National Championship game.
          sigpic

Comment

It's a bit of a tough call because he played the last year at safety, but going off scouting reports and not their rookie seasons, Huff would have gone head to head with Antrell Rolle. Rolle is a player I like a lot, and he may be more natural in tight coverage or press coverage, but Huff is a better athlete. He's better than Pac Man as a cover guy, trumps his size, and has comparable athleticism. I think Pac Man was drafted for his versatility as a kick returner though, so it's too hard to say he would have gone before him. It certainly would have changed the landscape, and Rogers would have fallen to the middle of round one.
            Huff is a very good DB, but what position would he play?
            Could he cover Pro WR's? or would he be a saftey (free)?
            Either way this guy is an amaizing display of talent and a great athlete

On the other hand, i cant wait to see what Rolle does next year in the NFL, because he was hurt last year and all. What i like about Rolle, is that he is like Champ, he can make tackles on RB without taking out thier legs very often in the open field
            Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
              Huff is a very good DB, but what position would he play?
              Could he cover Pro WR's? or would he be a saftey (free)?
              Either way this guy is an amaizing display of talent and a great athlete

On the other hand, i cant wait to see what Rolle does next year in the NFL, because he was hurt last year and all. What i like about Rolle, is that he is like Champ, he can make tackles on RB without taking out thier legs very often in the open field
              Without a doubt, he's good enough to cover pro receivers. He's very natural in coverage, and definitely has Pro Bowl potential. If he ends up on a team that has a good CB corps, he could start at either safety position as a rookie just to be on the field every down, but if he has a decent agent at all, he'll be a starting corner by training camp of his second year. I don't really see that scenario happening though, since he'll be drafted by San Francisco.
              A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

By the way very good call on the Chad Jackson prediction a few weeks ago. I was not as sure and that was a very impressive prediction.

I am still not so sure that Huff should be a corner. I agree with you that many teams will value that higher. But the emergence of the impact of safeties I am not so sure he isn't worth a pick that high as a safety also. The impact of Palu, Ed Reed, and others has brought back the value of big time safeties (at least in my mind).

I have no doubts that most teams agree with you that he will be a corner. I just question the statement of too good an athlete to play safety. With the increased coverage requirements and the emergence of fast TEs the value of a top quality athlete at safety should not be minimized (of course my opinion which I know is different than most). Huff is a perfect matchup for guys like Gates, Shockey, Crumpler, Gonzalez. And these guys have become game breakers and often times the best receiver on their team.

Comment

Originally posted by BVP
                  I think that he is better than Rolle and Pac-Man. He will be a good pick to anybody that gets him. He has shut down the best QB in the draft, and an All-American WR in the National Championship game.
                  I would say he is better than PacMan but not Rolle. Rolle was in a league by himself as a junior. The only reason he fell to 9 was his 40 times. 4.43 I think. He was the prototypical shut down corner.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                    By the way very good call on the Chad Jackson prediction a few weeks ago. I was not as sure and that was a very impressive prediction.

I am still not so sure that Huff should be a corner. I agree with you that many teams will value that higher. But the emergence of the impact of safeties I am not so sure he isn't worth a pick that high as a safety also. The impact of Palu, Ed Reed, and others has brought back the value of big time safeties (at least in my mind).

I have no doubts that most teams agree with you that he will be a corner. I just question the statement of too good an athlete to play safety. With the increased coverage requirements and the emergence of fast TEs the value of a top quality athlete at safety should not be minimized (of course my opinion which I know is different than most). Huff is a perfect matchup for guys like Gates, Shockey, Crumpler, Gonzalez. And these guys have become game breakers and often times the best receiver on their team.
                    Thank you for the complement.

You are right, my wording was poor, and that wasn't my intention to downplay the recent swell of athletic safeties. Overall, though, I think he would be a much better corner than safety. I'm not so sure he has the type of hitting ability or run support characteristics that Pola has, and may lack the elite awareness of Reed. That isn't to say Huff is poor in that category, because he has very good football inteligence, but I just think Reed is on another level. He would be a very good safety, but I think he makes an excellent corner.

I also stand by my opinion (not mentioned in this thread) that safety is more a luxury selection than a necessity in round one, but a top corner is vital for team construction. If you gameplan around Huff the safety, you may remove some middle passes and run more, but if you gameplan around Huff the corner, you take your top receiver out of the game. I just don't think a team like San Fransisco is in a position to say he is more valuable at safety than corner.

Comment

Thank you for the complement.

You are right, my wording was poor, and that wasn't my intention to downplay the recent swell of athletic safeties. Overall, though, I think he would be a much better corner than safety. I'm not so sure he has the type of hitting ability or run support characteristics that Pola has, and may lack the elite awareness of Reed. That isn't to say Huff is poor in that category, because he has very good football inteligence, but I just think Reed is on another level. He would be a very good safety, but I think he makes an excellent corner.

I also stand by my opinion (not mentioned in this thread) that safety is more a luxury selection than a necessity in round one, but a top corner is vital for team construction. If you gameplan around Huff the safety, you may remove some middle passes and run more, but if you gameplan around Huff the corner, you take your top receiver out of the game. I just don't think a team like San Fransisco is in a position to say he is more valuable at safety than corner.
                      I actually think Griffin (the other safety at Texas) has better awareness than Huff and I am not as high on Huff as others on this board. I have never been the biggest fan of Huff. My feeling is that he is a lock to develop into a top 15 safety in the league. I am not so sure he would be a top 15 CB. He is big and fast but I have never been a big fan of his coverage skills. He seems rigid at times. That being said I can't ignore the facts. He has put up in college (for the most part) and he has the measurables. he will be drafted early and most likely as a CB.

I just love him as a matchup for the new breed of TE that is sweeping this league. I think he would be very useful in that role. Similar to a Sean Taylor. Taylor can also be used in goal line in place of the corner to add size against the WR for the fade and provide better run support. This is how I would like to see Huff used. Well at least if he played for us. But I am a realist and we will not get him. Most likely it will be a team that needs a CB.

Comment

Huff and Puff

Originally posted by myoung
                        I actually think Griffin (the other safety at Texas) has better awareness than Huff and I am not as high on Huff as others on this board. I have never been the biggest fan of Huff. My feeling is that he is a lock to develop into a top 15 safety in the league. I am not so sure he would be a top 15 CB. He is big and fast but I have never been a big fan of his coverage skills. He seems rigid at times. That being said I can't ignore the facts. He has put up in college (for the most part) and he has the measurables. he will be drafted early and most likely as a CB.

I just love him as a matchup for the new breed of TE that is sweeping this league. I think he would be very useful in that role. Similar to a Sean Taylor. Taylor can also be used in goal line in place of the corner to add size against the WR for the fade and provide better run support. This is how I would like to see Huff used. Well at least if he played for us. But I am a realist and we will not get him. Most likely it will be a team that needs a CB.

Huff reminds me of Gary Baxter, although obviously much higher rated.....when Baxter came out of Baylor, he was a Safety/Corner tweener' too and no one knew where to play him.....five years down the road, he is a highly paid Corner for the Browns....will Huff follow that direction? I am not so sure....I could still see him as a FS....ideally, you like to have FS that can cover like a Corner...

BTW, you have to wonder if SF HC Mike Nolan will follow in John Gruden's footsteps and Draft the player he fell in love with at the Sr. Bowl workouts, RB DeAngleo Williams.....Nolan has done nothing but rave about him since.

Oh, and I will add my kudos to Oh Know as well in calling out Chad Jackson, now we just have to hope he does not turn in Reidel Anthony or Travis Taylor or any of the other under-achieving Gator wideouts in the NFL...but it does look like there is a good chance he could be our #22 selection, provided he does not rise higher than that, ala Troy Williamson...
                        Last edited by MindField; 03-02-2006, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Huff probably made the most money out of anyone wih that one forty time. He went from top 15-20 selction all the way up to a top 5-10 selection, the contract amounts there are signiifcantly different.
                          Jimmy Williams has now dropped, he better hope for a promising pro day.
                          My favorite safety Jason Allen probably ran better than anyone, he showed that he is fully recovered from his hip injury and it will be very interesting to see where he ends up. I still hope we can snag him if we are indeed looking for a safety.

Comment

Working...
                          X