TE Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TE Situation

Now that Jeb is gone, what should the plan at TE be for next year? IMO, Duke cannot be expected to be the full time starter next year.

Stand pat, and keep Stephen Alexander as your starter (YUCK) with Duke as the no. 2?

Or draft one? Probably not a first rounder, but maybe a late first day, early second day type (Byrd, Klop, TJ Williams).

Thoughts?

Well hopefully we can resign putz. If not keep Alexander i liked him. Good Blocker and he did have some receiving threat in him. Also he is a veteran who knows what hes doing. But we just need Duke to step it up and yea draft a TE.
    Darrent Williams #27 R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by KnightOLB53
      Well hopefully we can resign putz. If not keep Alexander i liked him. Good Blocker and he did have some receiving threat in him. Also he is a veteran who knows what hes doing. But we just need Duke to step it up and yea draft a TE.
      That's the BORING option...

I doubt we resign Putz though. I don't know why, it just doesn't sound like a plan.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightOLB53
        Putz is already gone
        R.I.P. Darrent Williams and Damien Nash

R.I.P Sean Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
          Now that Jeb is gone, what should the plan at TE be for next year? IMO, Duke cannot be expected to be the full time starter next year.

Stand pat, and keep Stephen Alexander as your starter (YUCK) with Duke as the no. 2?

Or draft one? Probably not a first rounder, but maybe a late first day, early second day type (Byrd, Klop, TJ Williams).

Thoughts?
          This tells me that the Broncos are putting at least some stock in Wesley Duke's ability to see significant playing time next year. I'd personally like to see Alexander pack his bags as well, and see about getting a new TE in the draft. What was a deep position, suddenly became a question mark though.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff_bronc_fan
            This tells me that the Broncos are putting at least some stock in Wesley Duke's ability to see significant playing time next year. I'd personally like to see Alexander pack his bags as well, and see about getting a new TE in the draft. What was a deep position, suddenly became a question mark though.
            Yea, I'm trying not to downplay Duke's potential too much, which I love. But, I'm not sure if the FO wants to go into next year with Duke as the no. 1. Hey, if they think he's ready, I'll shut up...

Comment

I've long liked the idea of taking Klopfenstein at some point in the draft. He will be a Jason Witten-type tight end, I do believe. He's a more complete tight end than any tight end we've used since Sharpe. If tight end is our second round pick target, He would be a good choice.

Comment

Draft POPE from GA Champ and Pope, Bulldogs.
                sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

S. Alexander and W. Duke can get the job done. They are both young players with good talent and have good hands, they should be fine.

Of course, they are not the equivalent of Shannon Sharpe or T. Gonzalez, but they are cheap.

Comment

I'm hoping we draft either Mercedes Lewis from UCLA or Leonard Pope from Georgia. Both of these guys are big huge targets and Mercedes Lewis could even be used as a slot receiver......
                    "It's better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees." -Emiliano Zapata
                    R.I.P. D-Will & D-Nash R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by CJ_5256
                      I'm hoping we draft either Mercedes Lewis from UCLA or Leonard Pope from Georgia. Both of these guys are big huge targets and Mercedes Lewis could even be used as a slot receiver......
                      Um...yeah...if we want a really slow slot receiver...

Lewis does have good hands and average production, but he is the furthest from being NFL ready of the major tight end prospects. For starters, he has almost no bulk, and wasn't much of a blocker at UCLA. He will have to be exclusively a wave tight end or H-Back in the pros, because he will not be able to hold up at the point of attack, and could be a bit of a liability for the time being. He also isn't the best route runner or that quick off the line. He has a wide frame and will use it to his advantage, but he is very rough around the edges and needs to bulk up to be an every down tight end.

Pope is a bit different. He doesn't have great production because he didn't have a real QB, but his height-weight-speed ratio is quite impressive. He could stand to add a bit more bulk, but he looks like a better prospect than every tight end outside of Davis.

Comment

How many true TE's have we drafted in the past? Not many if I remember correctly, most come from the WR position. Look for a big WR to be drafted.

Oh, and are we all forgetting about Nate Jackson?!? I know, I know, he didn't even play last year, but I still like the guy Hell, he could be gone and I just didn't know it...

Check out Goal Line Blitz

WINNER of Elevation INC's Pick Your 53 Challenge....Sig to come!

Comment

i think we will end up drafting someone like byrd fom usc.

Comment

The earliest I want to see a TE drafted is round 3. Outside of Davis, the top-tier TE talent is very disappointing to me, but there is good depth at the position later in the draft. My favorite has always been Jeff King of Virginia Tech, and though I may be a bit biased with him, he was very solid at the combine outside of his 40 time of 4.81, which I expected. Another possibility could be Western Michigan's Tony Scheffler who was very impressive at the combine. He ran a 4.54 40 and looked very polished and pro-ready in pass catching drills. I'm not sure, but his stock may have risen past Denver's third rounder, though.
                            A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

I think our best option is to take THE sleeper TE in this draft, that being Joe Klopfenstein of Colorado. He never got a lot of exposure since he had terrible QB play and the whole Colorado scandal seemed to completely overshadow the whole football team, but the kid can ball.

He's got ideal size at 6'5 255 and he just clocked in at 4.6 in the 40 so he can defintiely get deep. He's got great catching ability, I heard he was one of the most natural pass catchers in drills at the combine. He's good at running routes and getting separation and he has pretty good blocking technique for a TE coming out of college, and he can definitely be had either late in the third or early in the fourth.

Zero Wing, the greatest Japanese to English translation ever...

Comment

Working...
                              X