According to ESPN radio Denver is trying to get back in to the T.O. race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• According to ESPN radio Denver is trying to get back in to the T.O. race

I heard about an hour ago that Denver is trying to trade at least one of thier 1st rounders for a conditional 1st rounder next year (ala redskins 2004) in order to leave some room to seriously make a run at T.O. I think everyone underestimated what it was actually going to take to get T.O.

It's funny what you can get away with and still get paid if you are the best WR in the league.

well lets make a bigg push then and get the guy

Comment

I just heard that as well.

That move, if getting TO is the product, is a great one IMO. However, with the way Denver's FA visits have gone so far this offseason they better be absolutely sure that TO wants to come to Denver before they trade off of 22 or 29...

I guess this ends the Abraham chase for Denver, if true...

Comment

It would take trading both of our first rounders and maybe even our 2nd rounder away to find the money to sign Owens. Didn't know things were that desperate with the Broncos financially. Warren & Brown better be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by broncosfan247
          It would take trading both of our first rounders and maybe even our 2nd rounder away to find the money to sign Owens. Didn't know things were that desperate with the Broncos financially. Warren & Brown better be worth it.
          More like Warren better be worth it. The Brown, Dayne, Webster, and Leach contracts are all cap friendly IIRC...

Comment

OMG I am so confused, I have seen threads saying we are dealing both 1st rounders because we don't have money, then I hear we have money for TO.

AGghhhh
            sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

So now we intend to potentially mortgage our future for Terrell Owens??? I'm also assuming we will consider guaranteed money now too, which is utterly foolish. Just listen to all the analysts, this guy is not worth guaranteed money, it is far too risky.

No sense dealing to make our picks, especially with the depth in this draft. Drop a first rounder, and I'm almost positive we will skip over a pass rusher early...

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
                OMG I am so confused, I have seen threads saying we are dealing both 1st rounders because we don't have money, then I hear we have money for TO.

AGghhhh
                Williamson and Legwold aren't exactly reliable sources...

The people saying that we're dealing both firsts are misinterpreting the headline IMO. Apparently TO wants a big deal, so I could see exchanging a first rounder's contract for a TO contract.

Comment

Who on ESPN Radio reported it? An anchor, or was it Mortensen or Clayton?

I'd be in favor of the move if we could get TO, keep 1 first rounder this year, and get a potential higher pick next year.

Comment

yeah i agree im really confused about the whole T.O thing, the pick thing everything im going crazy

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                      Williamson and Legwold aren't exactly reliable sources...

The people saying that we're dealing both firsts are misinterpreting the headline IMO. Apparently TO wants a big deal, so I could see exchanging a first rounder's contract for a TO contract.
                      Owens is gonna be asking for a hell of a lot more than what a 22 or 29 1st rounders would make.

Comment

Owens is gonna be asking for a hell of a lot more than what a 22 or 29 1st rounders would make.
                        No one would sign him, he has to prove he has changed his attitude before anyone gives him the contract he wants.
                        sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

If Denver wants Owens were going to have to reconstruct a hell of alot of peoples contracts.

Comment

yeah i agree but he is way better then a 22 or 29 rounder

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
                              No one would sign him, he has to prove he has changed his attitude before anyone gives him the contract he wants.
                              You would think that, but that isn't how the market is shaping up. Every indication I've heard today is that Owens is still expecting big money and won't settle for a deal full of incentives and lacking in guaranteed money. Kansas City's Peterson is the only sensible suitor to T.O., stating that he would like T.O. if he was willing to take a one year incentive-laden deal.

By giving him guaranteed money, you are doing two things. One, you are giving in to Owens, proving that he hasn't changed. Because he is intent on demanding big money, he is showing the league that he doesn't feel like he has to prove his commitment level. For a guy that has ruined two franchises, is that the type of message you want to buy into? Also, because of new clauses in the CBA, it will be more difficult to part with T.O. simply based on his antics. So a you take an enormous gamble in paying him guaranteed money and hoping that he becomes the "good" Owens that he has yet to demonstrate, and may not need to demonstrate with the financial winfall expected to occur.

Secondly, Denver gives up another prime opportunity to build a franchise capable of competing over the long haul without financial difficulty, which only comes through the draft. By putting off yet another first round pick, but not saving the money, spending it elsewhere (On a 33 year old question mark no less!) you are making yet another near sighted move that will require attention in a year or two's time. Should the Broncos instead settle for making picks with each first rounder, they potentially add younger, cheaper playmakers to the roster that won't require financial attention or adjustment for a few seasons (hint: Pittsburgh does this very well, they always have a replacement plan because they draft well, draft often, and stay out of financial predicaments.)

I don't have a problem with bringing in Owens. But I have a major problem with giving him guaranteed money and passing on yet another chance to add young impact players at a better value. Is there a bust factor? Sure. Does Shany draft well? Not always, but this should keep a team from attempting to run a team with plans of long term financial and personnel stability...

Comment

Working...
                              X