Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...and another pin falls...

'HAWKS WILL MATCH MOST OF OFFER SHEET-pft.com

A league source tells us that the Seattle Seahawks plan to match the seven-year, $49 million offer sheet signed by guard Steve Hutchinson. On Sunday, the Vikings and Hutchinson reached agreement on the deal, which includes a cap number of more than $13 million in 2006 and a poison pill provision that will make the full contract guaranteed if Hutchinson is not the highest paid member of the team's offensive line.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If in fact this report is accurate, then it effectively removes Seattle from the Abraham-running IMO (and I've explained why in other threads).

Now, according to the RMN, Abraham will visit Atlanta next. If he is still on the market after his Atlanta visit he is slated to visit Denver, finally. However, there seem to be conflicting reports from the Denver 'papers (there's a thread in GD) as well as from NY 'papers.

Recent rumors have Atlanta trying to get NY accept a package of a 2nd and 3rd round pick, but it sounds like NY still wants Schaub.

Just read an ESPN article (not exactly reliable, but...), and the writer said that in a discussion with a Falcons FO member, he got the impression that Schaub was not "untouchable." But, he did say that Atlanta would want someone who could step in as Mexico's backup and still lead the team--either from a Schaub trade or have assurances from someone in FA.

Please Atlanta (and New York), don't give in!!!!
    Last edited by WABronco; 03-16-2006, 01:59 PM.

Originally posted by WABronco
    Please Atlanta (and New York), don't give in!!!!

I know please!!!!!!! THe thing is, if I was a Falcons fan, I would be pissed right now. Not trading your backup and a 2nd rounder for one of the BEST pass rushers in the league? Even if Vick goes down, who would replace him? It's not like Schaub is THAT much better than any FA qb (New York). So, there is my $0.02 ( about 36 Nicaraguan NIOs)
    Go Huskers.

Comment

Schaub Is Highly Thought Of Around The Nfl

Originally posted by Nick7
      I know please!!!!!!! THe thing is, if I was a Falcons fan, I would be pissed right now. Not trading your backup and a 2nd rounder for one of the BEST pass rushers in the league? Even if Vick goes down, who would replace him? It's not like Schaub is THAT much better than any FA qb (New York). So, there is my $0.02 ( about 36 Nicaraguan NIOs)
      Schaub is a highly thought of young QB all around the NFL. There's a reason the Jet's want Schaub and Atlanta doesn't want to give him up. Atlanta is in a position to get DE help and they WILL NOT trade Schaub. He's being groomed. The 2 backup QB's that will not be traded for any reason are Volek and Schaub...their teams that highly of them.
      MIKE CELEZIC IS A TOOL!

Comment

If i was Atlanta i would not give up my backup QB because id doubt that Vick can get thru a full season healthy.
        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman
          If i was Atlanta i would not give up my backup QB because id doubt that Vick can get thru a full season healthy.

We can only pray that they don't.
          Go Huskers.

Comment

Originally posted by IRISHIDIOT
            Schaub is a highly thought of young QB all around the NFL. There's a reason the Jet's want Schaub and Atlanta doesn't want to give him up. Atlanta is in a position to get DE help and they WILL NOT trade Schaub. He's being groomed. The 2 backup QB's that will not be traded for any reason are Volek and Schaub...their teams that highly of them.
            im not so sure of volek. if tennessee does what everyone expects them to and drafts a qb at #3, they may be willing to move volek. he would have some value on the market and they could then get a cheap veteran in if they felt they needed it. but its not like if mcnair went down, starting their rookie would be jeoporadizing thier super bowl chances anyways.
            "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

If Atlanta held onto him it would not suprise me if they were able to get a 1st out of Schaub next year.
              http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

Comment

the falcons are so hesitant to let go of schaub because it appears that the falcons are beginning to grow tired of vicks inconsistancies. schaub has looked great in the few games he's had to step in for vick and has played beyond his years. vick takes too many risks, is incredibly innacurate, and has yet to show he can consistantly lead a team to victories. schaub has shown the ability to lead the team and knows the system well, you dont get rid of a 24 year old like that.

Comment

Two points! #1 - Seattle still has enough money to sign Abraham if they want to. He'd probably cost them about $7-8 million in cap space this year and he's aking about $18 million in guaranteed money over the life of the contract -- which is totally reasonable for one of the top DEs in football!

He'd get more money if he were a FA, probably about $20-25 million guaranteed (so long as teams were convinced he's totally healthy).

But, Seattle signing Abraham doesn't make a lot of sense to me since they already have the best pass-rushing team in football.

As for the Falcons, they are very smart to NOT give up their #15 pick or Schaub. They can probably get Abraham for less now that the Broncos are out of the picture because Shanahan refuses to meet Abraham's contract price.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                    Two points! #1 - Seattle still has enough money to sign Abraham if they want to.
                    We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this point. Seattle went into this offseason with one goal in mind--resign 2 out of 3 of the Alexander, Hutchinson, and Bernard group. Now, they're poised to have all three come back.

It's been reported by John Clayton and other local reporters that Seattle will face some tough cap related decisions in the next 3 years or so, and that's due to the big bonus deals they've been handing out to seemingly every veteran on the team (Hasselbeck, Wistrom, Alexander, Jackson, Engram, Jones, etc...).

I just don't see them as being a serious suitor for Abraham, regardless of this years numbers.

Comment

I'm with WA here... Especially if Seattle loses their claim that making Hutch the highest paid OL on the team isn't a Principle Term in the deal. It would seem like salary cap suicide to try and take on the contract of Abraham while also having to pay Hutch more than Jones--plus Bernard. However, that's not to say that they might not make it work for a year and then dismantle things the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                        We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this point. Seattle went into this offseason with one goal in mind--resign 2 out of 3 of the Alexander, Hutchinson, and Bernard group. Now, they're poised to have all three come back.

It's been reported by John Clayton and other local reporters that Seattle will face some tough cap related decisions in the next 3 years or so, and that's due to the big bonus deals they've been handing out to seemingly every veteran on the team (Hasselbeck, Wistrom, Alexander, Jackson, Engram, Jones, etc...).

I just don't see them as being a serious suitor for Abraham, regardless of this years numbers.
                        According to the Seattle Times you're wrong, not me:
                        The team is in position to match the offer [for OG Hutchinson], with at least $24 million in salary-cap space for the 2006 season to sign players during the current free agency period.
                        LINK

That still leaves plenty to sign Abraham if they want to! Even after Hutchinson, the Seahawks would have $11 million under the cap and the 2006 cap figure for Abraham would be about $8 million (with $18 million in total guarantees over the life of the contract. That's been reported around the league).

They might have a problem in the future because of the Shaun Alexander contract, but they can always convert more of the money to roster or signing bonus. Every year the Redskins are over the cap and every year they manage to sign more high priced FAs. They just convert the salary (subject to the cap) into signing bonus (pro-rated against the entire length of the contract). Yes, it might eventually catch up with them, but it hasn't so far and might not.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                          According to the Seattle Times you're wrong, not me:

LINK

That still leaves plenty to sign Abraham if they want to! Even after Hutchinson, the Seahawks would have $11 million under the cap and the 2006 cap figure for Abraham would be about $8 million (with $18 million in total guarantees over the life of the contract. That's been reported around the league).

They might have a problem in the future because of the Shaun Alexander contract, but they can always convert more of the money to roster or signing bonus. Every year the Redskins are over the cap and every year they manage to sign more high priced FAs. They just convert the salary (subject to the cap) into signing bonus (pro-rated against the entire length of the contract). Yes, it might eventually catch up with them, but it hasn't so far and might not.
                          Well then there's some sort of confusion goin' on here. That or the Seattle Times is printing erroneous information. I heard a local radio report no less than three days ago saying exactly what I am, and Clayton said the same thing after the CBA was done.

I don't think I'm goin' crazy...

Comment

Working...
                          X