OhNo's Myths, Rumors, and Relevations heading towards the NFL Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OhNo's Myths, Rumors, and Relevations heading towards the NFL Draft

The following are a set of myths, revelations and rumors that I have seen transpire over the past few weeks, and will only continue to develop over the next few. This is done in attempt to disprove some more trendy viewpoints that have come to the foreground recently.

Myth 1: With Patrick Ramsey on board, the Jets are now out of the running for one of the top three quarterbacks in the Draft.
    -To first answer this, it is important to ask yourself, “what has Ramsey accomplished in this league?” To think that he is anymore than a stopgap is wishful thinking if you are a Jets fan. Add to the fact that his contract makes him essentially a one-year rental, and you can start to see the Jets’ plan heading into the draft. Ideally, Mangini would prefer to allow his young quarterback to take his time developing under either Pennington or Ramsey while learning the system and getting adjusted to the NFL game. Because Ramsey and Pennington provide a buffer for a rookie quarterback, it is likely that the Jets will target a developmental passer like Cutler, rather than trading up. Keep in mind that Pennington is not Mangini’s quarterback, and that with his injury history; he is not likely to be considered a long-term solution. Every indication coming out of New York is that the Jets will still target a first round quarterback.

Rumor 1: The Bills could be looking into trading Losman.
    -This was revealed to me today on NFL Radio, and it comes as no surprise, as I felt Losman was a reach for a first rounder, and completely unprepared for starting duty in the NFL last year. Again, this isn’t the current regime’s quarterback, so this may put the Bills in the market for a quarterback at pick eight, should one fall. What this could lead to is the eventual elevation of status for a second round quarterback, specifically Brodie Croyle. As it seems to happen every year, a second round graded quarterback squeaks into the first round because of the high demand for passers. It would not be unlikely that a team who missed their shot at a quarterback early would trade into the twenties to grab a guy like Croyle.

Revelation 1: Just because a player looks like he would make a great free safety doesn’t mean he wants to play there.
    -I know that guys like Huff, Allen, and Williams look like potential standouts at safety, it is important to look at the attitudes these guys give to the position in interviews. Allen and Williams specifically have stated that they are corners first, and given the choice, they would like to play there early. Allen was not very keen on returning to safety in his interviews at the combine, and considers himself a top corner prospect. While the teams ultimately make the decision on where a player plays, it isn’t the smartest idea to draft a guy early to play a position he isn’t necessarily sold on.

Myth 2: Jimmy Williams is the best corner in the draft.
    -There have been a few posters who have expressed concern over Williams’ athleticism (myoung and myself), and he did little to lighten such feelings with his pro day. While his forty time in the mid 4.4s looks nice, his other drills were significantly below average to downright awful. When was the last time a top cover corner had a 33 inch vertical, or a 9-8 broad jump? This tells scouts that he has little hip explosion, and that can be seen on film, as Williams often struggled to break on balls in soft coverage, and couldn’t always recover quick enough when he was beaten. His cone drills and shuttles also hint at Williams’ below average mobility. This isn’t to say that he isn’t first round quality, because in the right system, he could be solid, but you cannot rate him over Huff and Hill with good conscious if you’ve watched film of the three. A team like San Diego may prefer a physical corner like Williams, which would be ironic, because I feel he is heading down the Quentin Jammer-lite career path.

Revelation 2: D’Brickashaw Ferguson could slide in the top ten based on need.
    -As I said earlier, the Jets are far from set at the quarterback position, and are not looking to be competitive this season. If New York was able to secure a late first round pick, then Ferguson could be their guy at four, because I know they like Croyle, and may not want to risk waiting until they pick in round two, with teams like Minnesota and Arizona possibly on the prowl for the quarterback. If Williams is the Saints guy at pick two, Ferguson may fall out of the top five, since the Packers only would have a need for Ferguson if they move their stud left tackle to right tackle (D’Brick cannot play on the strong side, period.) The 49ers could be candidates for his services, but they may also look at Vernon Davis to give Smith a legit weapon, and they already committed big time money to Jonas Jennings. If Ferguson slides past Oakland, he will be taken at eight by Buffalo, who is desperate for line help. I’m not saying it will happen, but don’t be shocked if Ferguson slides to the bottom of the top ten, simply based on the needs of the teams. This draft is about ten players deep in the “Destined for Stardom” category.

Rumor 2: The Raiders are strongly considering a quarterback at pick seven, according to Josh McCown.
    -In his comments to Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan on NFL Radio last week, McCown revealed to the two that Al Davis stated bluntly that the Raiders will look hard at Young or Cutler, should they fall to pick seven (judging by the recent free agency moves, this is quite likely). Not exactly the best sales pitch to a former free agent like McCown, but this should be enough evidence to show that Oakland’s love for Walter only goes so far. While I don’t believe McCown should have shared such information to the public, which may come at a detriment to the Raiders, it just further proves that Oakland continues to toil in mismanagement by an overzealous owner (not because he wants a first round quarterback, but because he would blatantly admit that to a potential acquisition.)
    Last edited by OhNoKoolAid; 03-20-2006, 09:41 PM.

How about this one for myth.

Myth 3-

LenDale White will be a Bronco.

Comment

How 'bout this for a revelation:

West=Ron Dayne...

ahahahahahahaha

Interesting stuff though OhNo, especially Buffalo looking to trade Losman.

Comment

Great post and thank you.

The game has truely left Al Davis behind imho.
        John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
          How 'bout this for a revelation:

West=Ron Dayne...

ahahahahahahaha

Interesting stuff though OhNo, especially Buffalo looking to trade Losman.
          Hahahaha. Nah man, i'm the only West. One of a kind.

Looking to trade Losman after just one year of experience? Not a good move, let him play this year and see how he does and go from there. I'd give him one more year. Maybe draft a QB in round 2 to groom. Brodie Croyle maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by West

Myth 3-

dont hold your breath
            Blet

Comment

Originally posted by OrangePeel
              dont hold your breath
              I won't I suck at those competitions.

Comment

Ohno, I was curious what you thought about Omar Jacobs? Obviously his college career ended on an injury and a very quiet season, but I still believe he has great talent, though he didn't play against the greatest competition. In my opinion he could be the QB steal of the draft, or just the steal all around if he is picked up in the 2nd or 3rd.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by West

Myth 3-

I think that is a bit of a stretch as well. White is just too good a back to fall into the twenties. I do believe that Williams and Maroney will be available at pick 22, and should we be targeting a back, I'd prefer Williams over Maroney (lucky for me, both came through Tulsa...side note.. I went and saw Tomlinson when he came to Tulsa a few years back, and he had probably his worst game of his career...).

I know Philly has other needs, like wide receiver, but I have a feeling they have already sewn "Moulds" on the back of several jerseys, if you know what I mean. I think somebody may surprise us with their selection of White.

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                    I think that is a bit of a stretch as well. White is just too good a back to fall into the twenties. I do believe that Williams and Maroney will be available at pick 22, and should we be targeting a back, I'd prefer Williams over Maroney (lucky for me, both came through Tulsa...side note.. I went and saw Tomlinson when he came to Tulsa a few years back, and he had probably his worst game of his career...).

I know Philly has other needs, like wide receiver, but I have a feeling they have already sewn "Moulds" on the back of several jerseys, if you know what I mean. I think somebody may surprise us with their selection of White.
                    You obviously haven't been reading up on the latest arguments... West's myth was pure sarcasm
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The|Snake#16
                      Ohno, I was curious what you thought about Omar Jacobs? Obviously his college career ended on an injury and a very quiet season, but I still believe he has great talent, though he didn't play against the greatest competition. In my opinion he could be the QB steal of the draft, or just the steal all around if he is picked up in the 2nd or 3rd.
                      I honestly don't like him. I think that he fits the profile of "system player." I don't usually get concerned about a quarterback's release point and motion, if they still display a strong arm and plus accuracy (Rivers, Carr). Watching Jacobs this year, I did not see the arm strength necessary to overcompensate for the motion, and his deep ball really seemed to sail on him. His offense is a high efficiency shotgun system that will enflate his numbers, which could give some a false impression about him. Looking at his workout numbers, he also isn't the athlete that scouts expected him to be, and while he will be mobile in the pocket, I don't see him as a dual threat in the NFL. He's good enough to go in the first round, but I just don't see him being a top starter in the NFL. He has a long ways to go, so he may have more potential in him.

He looks strikingly similar to the last BGSU quarterback prospect Josh Harris. Solid backup with average starter potential, but he isn't my preference.

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                        You obviously haven't been reading up on the latest arguments... West's myth was pure sarcasm
                        I read a few and just skimmed over the rest. It didn't look like you guys were building towards a consensus...

Comment

After yesterday's trade, there is a chance that myth one and revelation two may need to be adjusted.

Why? Well, some sources I've read say that the Jets are pretty high on Brodie Croyle, and like him almost as much as Cutler. Assuming the Jets don't package their first round picks to vault Tennessee and acquire Matt Leinart, they could be set up to grab their franchise tackle and quarterback. Remember that the last few drafts have seen a second round quarterback move into the latter part of round one due to limited supply and a great demand for passers. There are enough teams that would like to grab a young developmental QB (Arizona, Minnesota, among others) early that Croyle will see his stock rise. He also played well enough during Senior Bowl week for a team to justify taking him at the bottom of round one, should they trade back into the first round to grab him. I would not be surprised to see the Jets take Feguson and then Croyle in round one. This in turn, allows the remaining two first round QBs (Cutler, Young) to slide a bit more in round one. In Cutler's case, the market may correct itslef and put him back in the teens...

Comment

That rumor on Al Davis and the Raiders was CLASSIC

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoStampede
                              That rumor on Al Davis and the Raiders was CLASSIC
                              I only wish I could have made that one up, but it has been reported and replayed so many times on NFL Radio that you have to believe it.

Comment

Working...
                              X