Top 5 DE's and DT's:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 DE's and DT's:

From: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9323099 & http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9315053

Defensive Tackles:
    1. HALOTI NGATA, OREGON (UNDERCLASSMAN)
    Positives: Great size (6-foot-4 and 338 pounds). … Amazing combination of phenomenal strength and great quickness off the snap. … Extremely hard to budge. … Had consistent success despite facing almost constant double- and triple-team blocking. … Besides tying up blockers, also has remarkable ability to shake free and make tackles. … Nice agility and athleticism that allow him to change direction well in open field and be effective when dropping into coverage in a zone-blitz scheme.

Negatives: Occasionally too dependant on brute strength rather than techniques, which he still needs to develop. … Needs to work on ability to anticipate draws and screens.

2. GABE WATSON, MICHIGAN
    Michigan's Gabe Watson recorded 40 tackles and two sacks last season.
    Michigan's Gabe Watson recorded 40 tackles and two sacks last season.
    Positives: Good size (6-3 and 339 pounds). … Ultra-powerful force that routinely commands double teams. … Quickness off the ball. … Instincts for the ball. … Shows good discipline by not over-pursuing against the run and by staying in rushing lane against the pass. … Made strong impression as a run-stuffer in the Senior Bowl.

Negatives: Athleticism and speed. … Reputation for occasionally taking plays off.

3. RODRIQUE WRIGHT, TEXAS
    Positives: Superb combination of large frame (6-5 and 300 pounds), excellent mobility, and considerable power. … Arguably the best athlete among players at his position. … Shows a wide variety of pass-rush moves and runs with greater fluidity than one would expect from a defensive tackle. … Enough versatility to be a good fit in an odd- or even-man front.

Negatives: Must learn to use hands and take better advantage of long arms to escape blockers. … Reputation for not performing to full potential. … A 2004 ankle injury raises some concerns about durability.

4. ORIEN HARRIS, MIAMI
    Positives: Initial quickness. … Upper-body strength. … Plays with good leverage. … Separates from blockers well. … Strong pursuit and knack for forcing fumbles. … Shows good polish and readiness for a promising NFL career.

Negatives: At 6-3 and 301 pounds, doesn't have ideal size for the position. … Needs to work on overall techniques. … Knee and elbow injuries in 2003 raise some durability concerns.

5. CLAUDE WROTEN, LSU
    Positives: Upper-body strength. … Explosiveness off the ball. …Body control and ability to make plays on the move. … Inside pass-rush skills. … Good ball instincts.

Negatives: At 6-2 and 302 pounds, doesn't have ideal size for the position. … Needs to play with more leverage. … Must make better use of hands to separate from blockers against the run.

Defensive Ends:
    1. MARIO WILLIAMS, NORTH CAROLINA STATE (UNDERCLASSMAN)
    Mario Williams impressed scouts at the Combine with his size and quickness.
    Mario Williams impressed scouts at the Combine with his size and quickness.
    Positives: Great size (6-foot-7 and 295 pounds). … Superior speed and athleticism. … Excellent anticipation of the snap and quickness off the ball allow him to win most battles on his first step. … Outstanding closing speed. … Excellent footwork and change-of-direction skills. … Superb ball instincts. … Shows equal dominance rushing the passer or stopping the run. … Big hitter.

Negatives: Despite tremendously long arms, needs to work at getting better separation from blockers. … Must improve technique rather than mostly relying on running around blockers.

2. MATHIAS KIWANUKA, BOSTON COLLEGE
    Positives: Good size (6-5 and 266 pounds) and speed. … A former basketball player, he has plenty of athleticism. … Nice variety of moves. … Constant hustle allows him to often make plays in pursuit. … Shows excellent instincts that he enhances with considerable study that allows him to make accurate pre-snap reads of offensive linemen. … Solid containment on outside runs.

Negatives: Tendency to play too tall and allow blockers to get under him. … Needs to work on utilizing more of his quickness to get a better jump off the ball.

3. TAMBA HALI, PENN STATE
    Positives: Explosiveness off the snap. … Battles non-stop to the ball. … Good pass-rushing moves. … Upper-body strength, which allows him to escape blocks and hold his own at the point of attack. … Shows great ball instincts. … Impressive performance in the Senior Bowl.

Negatives: At 6-3, he does not have ideal height for the position. … Must develop better use of his hands to get separation from blockers.

4. DARRYL TAPP, VIRGINIA TECH
    Darryl Tapp registered 10 sacks as a senior at Virginia Tech.
    Darryl Tapp registered 10 sacks as a senior at Virginia Tech.
    Positives: Outstanding strength that helps him to consistently get penetration. … Plays with good leverage. … Physical player who shows great intensity. … Superb instincts help him to often make plays in the backfield.

Negatives: At 6-1 and 252 pounds, doesn't have ideal size for the position. … Limited athleticism and speed.

5. MANNY LAWSON, NORTH CAROLINA STATE
    Positives: Excellent athleticism and speed. … Consistently zips around offensive tackles and has outstanding ability to close on the ball. … Impressive strength. … Great instincts. … Works at building a repertoire of pass-rush moves.

Negatives: Smallish (241 pounds) frame, although has the skills that could allow him to be an outside linebacker in 3-4 alignment. … Lower-body strength. … Must improve his leverage.
    is it just me, or does the possibility of getting any two (or more) of these guys a pretty exciting thing?

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

I watched tape of the Senior Bowl yesterday and one of these guys really stood out.

Darryl Tapp was all over the field, with sacks and pressures. Whoever says he is to small and slow do not know what they are talking about. He is one of the few that beat DBrickashaw Ferguson this year.

Comment

Sleeper at DT

Shanny could land a very good DT late in the draft. His name is Kyle Williams from LSU. on saturdays i bleed purple and gold and on sundays i bleed orange and blue, so i have wached this guy play top notch ball for 3 years now and im telling you this kid can stuff the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Xx-BrOnCoS-xX
        Shanny could land a very good DT late in the draft. His name is Kyle Williams from LSU. on saturdays i bleed purple and gold and on sundays i bleed orange and blue, so i have wached this guy play top notch ball for 3 years now and im telling you this kid can stuff the middle.

Here's what I like about that suggestion: getting your boy (or any other who can stuff the middle) is key to our success in my opinion. It lets Warren loose to do what he does best, blow things up.
        "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Neither Brodrick Bunkley or Kamerion Wimbley in his top 5? thats interesting

Comment

Neither Brodrick Bunkley or Kamerion Wimbley in his top 5? thats interesting
            I am not at all surprised. Bunkley is overhyped. He is a real work out specimen, but when you watch game tape he is very average. Wimbley has potential as a OLB in a 3-4, but is definitely not as good as Williams, Lawson, Tapp, Hali and Kiwi.
            His about the 6th best DE along with Parys Haralson

Comment

Originally posted by DURANGO BRONCO
              I am not at all surprised. Bunkley is overhyped. He is a real work out specimen, but when you watch game tape he is very average. Wimbley has potential as a OLB in a 3-4, but is definitely not as good as Williams, Lawson, Tapp, Hali and Kiwi.
              Lol, like hell he's average. When I watched FSU, Bunkley was by far the best defensive lineman on the field. He has a very strong base and insane quickness for a guy his size. He gets ton of pressure up the middle or on outside stunts...

Comment

I agree with Wimbley, but I think Bunkley will be a very good NFL player. I know combines are overrated, but he blew me away with his performance.

Comment

here he's BIO:

Brodrick Bunkley
                  DT | (6'2", 306, 4.97) | FLORIDA STATE

Scouts Grade: 92

Strengths: Is a quick and explosive DT prospect with a lot of upside. Has versatility as a player that has experience at NT and DT. Seems to be at his best in a one-gap scheme. Shows explosive initial quickness. Fires out of his stance quickly and with good leverage. He lacks lower body strength but shows power in his hips and upper body. He has strong arm and hands. Can "rip" off of blocks and does a good job of using his hands to keep blockers off his body. Has a lot of potential in terms of pass rush moves if he can refine his technique. He shows burst through the hole and good COD skills. He plays with a good motor and will pursue from behind. Is an explosive hitter who will force fumbles with power on contact.

Weaknesses: He is undersized and will not fit in a two-gap scheme in the NFL. Needs to add bulk and improve his lower body strength. Too short and lacks the ideal speed to move out to the DE position fulltime. He plays with a narrow base and will struggle to hold his ground in the phone booth when teams run at him. He lacks great recognition skills and will occasionally take himself out of plays by getting too far upfield. Durability is a concern. He has had multiple knee injuries and an ankle injury that lingered past the 2004 season. Also has had trouble with academics. There are concerns about his character, work ethic and mental capacity. He has stayed out of trouble and shows signs of maturing, but he has made a lot of poor decisions and has shown a lot of immaturity throughout his career at FSU.

Overall: Bunkley tore the ACL in his left knee in high school. He played in eight games as a reserve NT during his true freshman season in 2002 before tearing the MCL in his left knee. He started three of the 13 games he played as a sophomore in 2003. He was arrested in January of 2003 for petty theft (stole a video game from Wal-Mart) and was forced to pay a fine and complete 16 hours of community service. He moved into the starting lineup at NT during his junior season in 2004 but he missed two games (Syracuse and Wake Forest) because of an ankle injury and wound up finishing with just 12 tackles, three TFL and one sack. He started all 13 games as a senior in 2005 and finished with 66 tackles, 25 TFL and nine sacks. Bunkley is one of the fastest ascending prospects in the 2006 draft class right now. He started at the NT position as a junior but made the move to the UT spot as a senior and flourished as a one-gap penetrating type using a three-technique. Bunkley has some baggage in terms of his history of durability and character issues. However, he stayed completely healthy as a senior, he has missed just one game because of injury over the course of the last three seasons and he has remained out of trouble since his completion of community service in 2003. As a player, Bunkley has the quickness, explosiveness and playmaking skills to develop into an impact penetrating interior lineman in the right scheme at the next level. Following an exceptional showing at the combine (44 reps on the bench press and 40-yard dash time of 4.97 seconds at 306 pounds), Bunkley has become legitimate competition for Oregon's Haloti Ngata for first defensive tackle off the board in 2006. In our opinion, Bunkley is worth the risk in the bottom-half of the first round.

Comment

Lol, like hell he's average. When I watched FSU, Bunkley was by far the best defensive lineman on the field. He has a very strong base and insane quickness for a guy his size. He gets ton of pressure up the middle or on outside stunts...
                    I saw Bunkley play in his Bowl game and the Senior Bowl. He looked very average against good competition.

Comment

I saw Bunkley play in his Bowl game and the Senior Bowl. He looked very average against good competition.
                      One game....

Comment

I assume you have seen Bunkley play a lot more than I have, and I respect your opinion. Bottom line I do put a lot more credence into game play than the combine. I do have to admit that to watch him running the 40, I would not want to get in his way. He looks like the "Thing" from the Fantasic Four.

Comment

I found this...

Claude Wroten, DT, LSU. He probably was a top 15 pick before being arrested for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. The charges were dropped, but teams need to decide whether the incident was a blip on Wroten's radar or a sign more trouble lies ahead. -- D.D.

Is he better than listed?
                          sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

I assume you have seen Bunkley play a lot more than I have, and I respect your opinion. Bottom line I do put a lot more credence into game play than the combine. I do have to admit that to watch him running the 40, I would not want to get in his way. He looks like the "Thing" from the Fantasic Four.
                            That's the thing. He's one big muscle who knows how to play football...

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBailey024
                              I found this...

Claude Wroten, DT, LSU. He probably was a top 15 pick before being arrested for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. The charges were dropped, but teams need to decide whether the incident was a blip on Wroten's radar or a sign more trouble lies ahead. -- D.D.

Is he better than listed?
                              15? Errr, I dunno about that. Maybe top 32...

Comment

Working...
                              X