Draft Trade Idea (03/22/06)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Trade Idea (03/22/06)

Call it a stretch, but I have an idea that I hope Broncos management has already thought up when making the trade with Atlanta.

We all agree that getting a pass rushing DE would greatly benefit our defense, yes? We have two first round picks, which gives us a lot of leverage in signing quality players, but I have some doubts about how quickly the DEs will develop at pick 15. Obviously, I'm not a pro scout, but from what I hear, NC State DE Mario Williams is a beast and many scouts are saying that he has all the tools to be instantly successful in the league. I realize that in a lot of mock draft boards, he is likely gone in the top 5 picks, and thanks to New Orleans' signing of Drew Brees, he could very well be gone at #2 if NO doesn't trade down.

New Orleans is obviously in a state of rebuilding. Signing Brees is a clear improvement if he can keep his shoulder healthy, but is by no means a signing that will put them over the top this year. So as good as Mario Williams is said to be, NO already has two quality DEs on their roster, and have other problem positions they need to deal with.

So I say, we take a risk and trade our two first rounders to NO for the 2nd overall pick and nab us Mario Williams. We have solid DTs who can stop the run, we already pressure the QB well, Lynch is a blitz monster, our LBs are top in the league, Champ can iso cover any WR in the league, and Darrent Williams/Dominique Foxworth will likely improve next year with a year of experience under their belts.

A Mario Williams signing seems to fit the bill. He's young and can pressure the QB, and has the speed to get sacks as well.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by jermaphobic
    Call it a stretch, but I have an idea that I hope Broncos management has already thought up when making the trade with Atlanta.

Thoughts?
    You said it with your first four words.

Might as well talk Kubiak into trading the #1 pick to us because Shanny and him are good buds.
    Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
    Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
    Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

This has already been the big debate since we landed pick 15 last night, and it will likely continue until draft day. It is very difficult to put all of your eggs in one basket to fill a need. By trading both 1st rounders you should be able to make your way to the 4th or 5th pick, and yes Super Mario should be there. He would likely make an instant impact, but if he gets hurt or doesn't turn out, we would blow a big chance to upgrade. Tough call.

One other scenario that is intriguing is to trade our 15th pick and our 2nd rd pick to move down. This should get us to pick 8 or 9. This is less risky as it will still land 2 first rounders. From projections I have seen the only worthwhile guy that should be available at that point is Vernon Davis and the 2nd RB.

Comment

I don't mean to sound dismissive. But it seems as though there is a different "Trade both #1's for ________" everyday. Generally that blank is Super Mario or Vernon Davis. Personally, I'd like to see us keep both #1's, and take a DE/DT plus an offensive playmaker. I wouldn't be opposed to getting Mario, but I just don't see it happening.

Comment

We all agree that getting a pass rushing DE would greatly benefit our defense, yes? We have two first round picks, which gives us a lot of leverage in signing quality players, but I have some doubts about how quickly the DEs will develop at pick 15. Obviously, I'm not a pro scout, but from what I hear, NC State DE Mario Williams is a beast and many scouts are saying that he has all the tools to be instantly successful in the league. I realize that in a lot of mock draft boards, he is likely gone in the top 5 picks, and thanks to New Orleans' signing of Drew Brees, he could very well be gone at #2 if NO doesn't trade down.

New Orleans is obviously in a state of rebuilding. Signing Brees is a clear improvement if he can keep his shoulder healthy, but is by no means a signing that will put them over the top this year. So as good as Mario Williams is said to be, NO already has two quality DEs on their roster, and have other problem positions they need to deal with.

So I say, we take a risk and trade our two first rounders to NO for the 2nd overall pick and nab us Mario Williams. We have solid DTs who can stop the run, we already pressure the QB well, Lynch is a blitz monster, our LBs are top in the league, Champ can iso cover any WR in the league, and Darrent Williams/Dominique Foxworth will likely improve next year with a year of experience under their belts.

A Mario Williams signing seems to fit the bill. He's young and can pressure the QB, and has the speed to get sacks as well.

Thoughts?

I have 3 thoughts on this.

1. Yes Mario Williams is a good player and could be the best DE to come out since Julius Peppers.

2. There's no way in hell we could move up to the second pick without seriously screwing ourselves. We would most likely have to offer our 2 firsts this year and we would probably have to throw in a starter or second round draft pick this year.

3. DE isnt even the biggest need on defense, with the Lang signing our biggest need on defense is defensive tackle and then secondary.

Overall this would be a bad move IMO.

Comment

Unfortunately we couldn't trade our two picks for the #2 overall straight-up, we'd be robbing the Saints blind, so they'll never go for that. Our two picks add up in value to roughly the #8 pick, and Mario Williams will definitely be gone by then. To get any higher we'd have to throw more draft picks in, or players, and i really don't want to do that. I think we should wait, and if Vernon Davis is around at #8 or lower, and if a team is willing to trade with us, I make the move and draft Davis.
            sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos724
              Unfortunately we couldn't trade our two picks for the #2 overall straight-up, we'd be robbing the Saints blind, so they'll never go for that. Our two picks add up in value to roughly the #8 pick, and Mario Williams will definitely be gone by then. To get any higher we'd have to throw more draft picks in, or players, and i really don't want to do that. I think we should wait, and if Vernon Davis is around at #8 or lower, and if a team is willing to trade with us, I make the move and draft Davis.

Is there a site which tells pointvalues for the different picks, or something? I seem to remember someone else mentioning it before.

sigpic
              They're your teammates, now.
              Best of luck, TT!
              ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Thoughts?
                It's a stretch.

Besides. If we were able to trade up to #2, I'm sure every Snake hater and their brother would call for Shannys head if he doesn't draft Leinart. Hell, even the Plummer supporters would.

Comment

Originally posted by sbutk
                  Is there a site which tells pointvalues for the different picks, or something? I seem to remember someone else mentioning it before.

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/draft/draftvaluechart.asp
                  sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

Originally posted by In-com-plete
                    It's a stretch.

Besides. If we were able to trade up to #2, I'm sure every Snake hater and their brother would call for Shannys head if he doesn't draft Leinart. Hell, even the Plummer supporters would.

I dont think I have ever seen someone move up from 15 to 2 besides Ditka who traded every single one of his draft picks for Ricky Williams, and Ricky was traded like 2 years later. Moves like this get people fired.

Comment

Our 2 picks add up to a #4 now ^_^

Comment

And I actually just looked at the numbers, and our two picks equal roughly the #4 pick, not the #8. I was thinking about the two #1's we used to have that add up to #8
                        sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

And I actually just looked at the numbers, and our two picks equal roughly the #4 pick, not the #8. I was thinking about the two #1's we used to have that add up to #8
                          Indeed. The #4 pick.....Although the values are very close, we would be lucky to get #6 because when you initiate a trade like this you usually have to give up more.

Comment

Thanks. CP for that!

sigpic
                            Best of luck, TT!

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoStampede
                              I dont think I have ever seen someone move up from 15 to 2 besides Ditka who traded every single one of his draft picks for Ricky Williams, and Ricky was traded like 2 years later. Moves like this get people fired.

Sheesh. I didn't realize he'd done that. You're not kidding.

sigpic
                              Best of luck, TT!

Comment

Working...
                              X