Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll agree....tradeup for Vernon Davis!

Originally posted by Perry1977
    I would like to hereby announce the formation of the Anything But a Wide Receiver in the First Round Coalition (ABWRFRC) here on Broncomania. This is a grassroots campaign to allow people who think that using one or both of our first-rounders on a wide receiver is insane to band together and show strength in unity and resolve. Or something.

Signing up is easy. Simply tout your affiliation to the ABWRFRC in your signature, and everyone will know where you stand on the issue!

Together, we won't make a damned bit of difference, but in our own minds we can share a sense of comradarie and determination to not letting the Broncos compromise the future by wasting important first-round picks on wide receivers!

Davis is much more of an immediate impact player and I'd like to see us tradeup for quality rather than have quantity.
    MIKE CELEZIC IS A TOOL!

Comment

"When you do a list of positions that are most important -- quarterback, left [offensive tackle], cornerback, defensive end -- wide receiver doesn't rate as high, in comparison to some other positions. That doesn't mean it isn't important, but relative to other positions … well, there's a reason you see so much turnover [at wide receiver]. ”
      — Sean Payton, Saints head coach

I think sean puts it quite well!

I dont want a WR at 15, especially as Chad Jackson's stock just seems to rise as our picks do! At 22, maybe, not 15, actually not 22 either, 2nd round defo!

Comment

Originally posted by Champ.24
        "When you do a list of positions that are most important -- quarterback, left [offensive tackle], cornerback, defensive end -- wide receiver doesn't rate as high, in comparison to some other positions. That doesn't mean it isn't important, but relative to other positions … well, there's a reason you see so much turnover [at wide receiver]. ”
        — Sean Payton, Saints head coach

I think sean puts it quite well!

I dont want a WR at 15, especially as Chad Jackson's stock just seems to rise as our picks do! At 22, maybe, not 15, actually not 22 either, 2nd round defo!

nice quote!

hmmm. . . seems like we have good players at three of those positions. . .
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I'm in. I don't think they should draft a WR in the first round. They should get one in the later rounds.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I was just looking at this teams mock draft and went to there players. The yahve Holmes rated the #1 WR in this draft and Jackson the 2nd best here their scouting reports:

Source: http://www.nfldraftforecast.com/Posi...eceivers.shtml

Wide Receiver - Ohio State
              Height: 5'11"
              Weight: 185

Holmes is a true deep threat at WR. He is an extremely fast open field runner and has burner speed to beat almost any CB deep. He showed great potential as a freshman and has surpassed his production and became even better as a sophomore. He is a very explosive open field runner, when he has a crease he can take it all the way without question. Holmes has very soft hands as well, he does not drop many passes. Only negative for him is that Ginn will take most of the lime light this season and will get more passes thrown his way. That could limit Holmes production, or it could open him up for even more production depending on how teams defend them. Overall though he is a outstanding WR prospect and potentially a 1st round pick. If he has a good junior year it would not surprise me if he leaves for the draft early. His versatility as a punt returner, kick returner and deep threat WR will make him a wanted commodity. Holmes is very hard to match up against because he is very elusive and with his speed he is extremely dangerous. I do not think he is a great WR prospect but he is very solid overall and could be a fine player at the next level, he just has to continue to improve his game.

Strengths:
              • Has great open field speed
              • Is a elusive runner
              • Is a versatile player that can return kicks and punts as well

Weaknesses:
              • Does not have ideal size for a WR
              • Needs to become a more crisp route runner
              • Does not block very well

Best Case Scenario:
              Koren Robinson

Worst Case Scenario:
              Bethel Johnson

-Jeremy Osborne

Santonio Holmes is truly a player that is starting to come to his own as a receiver this year. With guys like Ginn and Gonzalez starting to really become threats for the Buckeyes, Holmes has remained, "old reliable" as a target. His hands are as good as any player in the country and he is a solid route runner too. His athletic ability is absolutely ridiculous, his speed and agility is simply incredible. I also love his toughness, he will get hit hard and then get right back up as if he is not effected at all by the hit. He plays with a determination to get to the end zone every time he touches it, and this year it seems like he has gotten to the end zone every time he makes the catch. Holmes does lack the ideal size of an NFL receiver though, and may still need a bit of brush up with his physical game. He also isn't the most effective blocker either, but with his hard work that is something he can improve on. Also, he does have some character issues that might be a bit of a turn away for teams. Due to personal issues, there is no question that Holmes bolts for the draft after this season. I think he is a sure first round pick and he might be the best pure wide receiver in the 2006 draft. There is not a doubt in my mind that he can become a great receiver in the NFL for years to come.

Strengths:
              • Has very reliable hands
              • Great athleticism and agility
              • Great speed, quickness and burst
              • Effective route runner

Weaknesses:
              • Still needs a little more of a physical game
              • Lacks ideal size of an NFL receiver
              • Some character issues

-Zach Asman

Chad Jackson | #8
              Wide Receiver - Florida
              Height: 6'1"
              Weight: 205

As an early entry junior, Chad Jackson will attempt to buck a trend of disappointing Florida wide receivers. The decision to leave early is an opportune one for Jackson; He's coming off an incredible 88-catch season which automatically puts him near the top of an emaciated 2006 receiver class. He was an elite recruit coming out of high school, but didn't live up to the hype until this past season, when he became the go-to-guy for the Gators. Jackson has the height of an NFL receiver and a frame to get bigger. He showed solid hands as a starter, but dropped a few balls. Despite a demonstrated big play ability, his average yards per catch was a paltry 10.2. His combine performance will have a huge influence on his draft status. If he runs well in "the 40" and legitimizes the excitement about his reported speed, he could easily be a 1st round selection. If not, he'll likely fall somewhere in the shuffle of second-tier receivers and go late on day one.

Strengths:
              • Prototypical size
              • Great speed
              • Good hands
              • Good burst
              • Above average leaping ability
              • Solid route-runner

Weaknesses:
              • Good frame, but lacks strength
              • Averaged only 10.2 yards per catch as a junior
              • Not very physical/struggles to separate from contact
              • Only one season as a full-time starter
              • Very unpolished as a blocker

-Michael Coyne
              sigpic
              PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
              You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Comment

I´m almost thinking of starting the
                Anyone But Lendal White Federation since he is a bust... that would be worse than drafting a AR in the first round

Comment

im in
                  i either want DeAngelo Williams or Vernon Davis. i live in maryland and ive seen him in person. his forearms are bigger than my legs
                  @MisterBerman

Go Broncos

Comment

sign me up
                    raiders SUCKGOBRONCOS

Javon Walker is a BRONCO
                    R.I.P Darrent Williams

Comment

well. . . . .

as perry has not yet bumped this thread, i'm gonna go ahead and do it myself. . . .

SUCCESS!!!!!!

our efforts have not been in vain, good people of the ABWRFRC!!

draft day has come and gone, and denver DID NOT select a wide receiver in the 1st round!! HALLELUJAH!!

ABWRFRC members can now sleep soundly knowing that our highest pick in years was not wasted on, in the immortal words of BroncoFanCam, "some nancy-boy wide receiver". . . . .

imagine, the genius of actually taking the guy who throws the ball before the guy who catches the ball. . . . . BRILLIANT!!

pass the guiness. . . . and we'll have a toast to the success of this fine organization!!

OUR WORK HERE IS DONE!!

LONG LIVE THE ABWRFRC!!!!

Comment

Looks like they merged this thread with another one , but none the less no WRs in the 1st round for Denver. Hell almost the draft, but Pittsburg got Holmes and rightfully so he was the only WR to go in the 1st round. It looks like Pittsburg just offset the lost of Randle El. I'm still wondering what his arm looks like he might have to run some of those gadget plays.
                        sigpic
                        PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
                        You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish

OUR WORK HERE IS DONE!!

I am just curious....

Now that the draft is over, there is no need for your organization.

How do you plan on closing it? Are there parting gifts? Or do you plan on keeping this organization running until next year's draft?
                          Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                          Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                          Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                            as perry has not yet bumped this thread, i'm gonna go ahead and do it myself. . . .

SUCCESS!!!!!!

our efforts have not been in vain, good people of the ABWRFRC!!

draft day has come and gone, and denver DID NOT select a wide receiver in the 1st round!! HALLELUJAH!!

ABWRFRC members can now sleep soundly knowing that our highest pick in years was not wasted on, in the immortal words of BroncoFanCam, "some nancy-boy wide receiver". . . . .

imagine, the genius of actually taking the guy who throws the ball before the guy who catches the ball. . . . . BRILLIANT!!

pass the guiness. . . . and we'll have a toast to the success of this fine organization!!

OUR WORK HERE IS DONE!!

It's a celebration, b*tches!!!

Originally posted by Diesel51
                            I am just curious....

How do you plan on closing it? Are there parting gifts? Or do you plan on keeping this organization running until next year's draft?

Well, like many social movements, the ABWRFRC will surely disband, as the work here is done. But the legacy will live on, as we watch Cutler lead this team into the next decade.

Then again, if he busts, we can always say we backed a runningback!

Just kidding. Sort of.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel51
                              I am just curious....

well, it's perry's organization-- i'm just getting the party started!!

for me, it's way, WAY too early to think about next year's draft-- other than my continuous burning desire to add a premiere pass rusher, i have no idea what positions i'll want us to draft next year. . . . maybe WR will be a better option, who knows? i'm sure perry will at least keep the memory of the ABWRFRC alive in case it is needed by future generations of broncomaniacs. . . but now is a time for celebration, not discussion!!

Comment

Working...
                              X