X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McCargo

Friday, March 24, 2006
    McCargo overshadowed by NC State teammates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

He isn't the most heralded defensive line prospect at North Carolina State, but tackle John McCargo, often overshadowed by the Wolfpack's heralded end tandem of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, isn't quite an unknown, either, to NFL scouts.

McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month. Williams, of course, is a sure bet, an edge player and upfield rusher regarded by many scouts as the premier defensive player in the draft. Lawson is also a pass-rush threat, an outside defender with great explosiveness and closing speed who might best project to linebacker in a 3-4 front.

But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.

"My game has always been about quickness," McCargo said shortly after a pro day workout in which he clocked a 4.94 in the 40. "I really didn't start playing football until the ninth grade and didn't get serious about it until around my junior year [in high school]. But I was a good baseball player and a pretty good basketball player, and some of the traits from those sports, like hand-eye coordination, things like that, kind of carried over onto the football field and helped me a lot."

Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent.

At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

"He's a little different than most of the other [tackles]," one general manager said. "Different in a good sort of way because, if you want the upfield guy and not just the run stuffer, there aren't many tackles like him in this year's draft."

An Academic All-American, and an avid but late-blooming student of the game who is now trying to make up for lost time, McCargo understands that Williams and Lawson, flashier players who merit attention by putting the quarterback on the ground, are going to garner most of the headlines. But he understands, too, that there is a place in the NFL for a guy like himself, a hard-working tackle who has made himself into a player and who will soon reap the rewards.

"It never bothered me that people talked so much about Mario and Manny because, I mean, those guys are incredible players," McCargo said. "Playing out on the edge, making big plays in space, you're naturally going to be drawn to those guys. But I was doing some good things, too, inside, and I think the scouts who have done their homework understand that."

John McCargo was an early-entry after playing three seasons at NC State.

??

Originally posted by WABronco
    Friday, March 24, 2006
    McCargo overshadowed by NC State teammates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

He isn't the most heralded defensive line prospect at North Carolina State, but tackle John McCargo, often overshadowed by the Wolfpack's heralded end tandem of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, isn't quite an unknown, either, to NFL scouts.

McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month. Williams, of course, is a sure bet, an edge player and upfield rusher regarded by many scouts as the premier defensive player in the draft. Lawson is also a pass-rush threat, an outside defender with great explosiveness and closing speed who might best project to linebacker in a 3-4 front.

But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.

"My game has always been about quickness," McCargo said shortly after a pro day workout in which he clocked a 4.94 in the 40. "I really didn't start playing football until the ninth grade and didn't get serious about it until around my junior year [in high school]. But I was a good baseball player and a pretty good basketball player, and some of the traits from those sports, like hand-eye coordination, things like that, kind of carried over onto the football field and helped me a lot."

Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent.

At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

"He's a little different than most of the other [tackles]," one general manager said. "Different in a good sort of way because, if you want the upfield guy and not just the run stuffer, there aren't many tackles like him in this year's draft."

An Academic All-American, and an avid but late-blooming student of the game who is now trying to make up for lost time, McCargo understands that Williams and Lawson, flashier players who merit attention by putting the quarterback on the ground, are going to garner most of the headlines. But he understands, too, that there is a place in the NFL for a guy like himself, a hard-working tackle who has made himself into a player and who will soon reap the rewards.

"It never bothered me that people talked so much about Mario and Manny because, I mean, those guys are incredible players," McCargo said. "Playing out on the edge, making big plays in space, you're naturally going to be drawn to those guys. But I was doing some good things, too, inside, and I think the scouts who have done their homework understand that."

John McCargo was an early-entry after playing three seasons at NC State.

Where's my CP's???

I told ya'll about this cat weeks ago?

He is simply a blue collar guy that did all the dirty work and made Lawson and William's job that much easier.

He would be a great pickup for us...

Comment

McCargo might be a safer pick than Bunkley and Ngata. There are concerns that the top 2 have a tendency to take plays off. I would rather have a guy that gives 110% each and every play. The other DT to watch for is Dusty Dvoracek who is a wild man (maybe too wild).

Comment

nice post WA-- i'm already on the bandwagon, as you can tell from my sig. . .

Pro Football Weekly's draft guide (my personal favorite draft reference) has him rated 3rd behind bunkley and ngata, and projected to go late 1st-early 2nd. . .

he may not be the best fit in our system, which makes cloggers of our DTs, but it's at least possible that we do that because we don't have a talented, penetrating DT. . . if we added a guy with those abilities, maybe they would turn him loose a little bit. . . i think mccargo would look great next to warren as the under tackle. . .

sounds like he should have some pass rush skills for an interior DL, as well as the ability to get into the backfield and be disruptive against the run. . . nothing wrong with hard workers who also have some talent and athletic ability, especially in the trenches where it's a battle every down. . .

i also wonder if we could possibly trade down a little ways from #22 and still snag a guy like mccargo. . .
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I don't really feel comfortable with guys like this.

I would lump Brodrick Bunkley and Claude Wroten in as well. All 3 are similar players, Bunkley has ridiculous workout numbers, but all 3 were surrounded by great players. That makes it very difficult to judge their individual abilities.

Especially in McCargo's situation. With Williams and Lawson, two players opposing teams had to gameplan against, I'm sure McCargo faced favorable matchup after favorable matchup.

I would be leary of drafting an 'Under Tackle" in the 1st round that played under these circumstances. Last year, it was obvious Mike Patterson was the real deal because he played on a D-line which featured only him, and he still dominated. Haloti Ngata, Babatunde Oshinowo, and Rodrique Wright are the only guys that strike me as sure things in this draft.

McCargo, Bunkley, and Wroten could all turn out to be solid. Or they could not. It's a crapshoot, but when DTs come from schools with an abundance of talent on a D-line, they are busts more often then not. I think there are safer picks. I would only venture a late 2nd or 3rd round pick on these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan

I would lump Brodrick Bunkley and Claude Wroten in as well. All 3 are similar players, Bunkley has ridiculous workout numbers, but all 3 were surrounded by great players. That makes it very difficult to judge their individual abilities.

Especially in McCargo's situation. With Williams and Lawson, two players opposing teams had to gameplan against, I'm sure McCargo faced favorable matchup after favorable matchup.

I would be leary of drafting an 'Under Tackle" in the 1st round that played under these circumstances. Last year, it was obvious Mike Patterson was the real deal because he played on a D-line which featured only him, and he still dominated. Haloti Ngata, Babatunde Oshinowo, and Rodrique Wright are the only guys that strike me as sure things in this draft.

McCargo, Bunkley, and Wroten could all turn out to be solid. Or they could not. It's a crapshoot, but when DTs come from schools with an abundance of talent on a D-line, they are busts more often then not. I think there are safer picks. I would only venture a late 2nd or 3rd round pick on these guys.

what about shaun cody? i personally thought patterson was the better of the two, but cody was rated and drafted fairly high. . .
            Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan

I liked McCargo this season, but I worry that he might be like Ryan Sims. Sims was highly rated playing next to Peppers in North Carolina. He was a first round pick and never lived up to expectations. Sims got favorable matchups in college because of Peppers and looked good, the same could be true for McCargo.

I would use a second rounder on McCargo, a first rounder might be a little high.
              The three Keys to football
              1. Turnovers
              2. Field Position
              3. Red Zone Play

Comment

The Difference

Originally posted by BroncoRT
                I liked McCargo this season, but I worry that he might be like Ryan Sims. Sims was highly rated playing next to Peppers in North Carolina. He was a first round pick and never lived up to expectations. Sims got favorable matchups in college because of Peppers and looked good, the same could be true for McCargo.

I would use a second rounder on McCargo, a first rounder might be a little high.

I agree with MUG that anytime you get a smaller DT in the 6'1"-6'"-293 range, that you are rolling the dice a little.....but it turned out OK for Cotrey Simon for a number of years....I simply like McCargo because he is a worker. There is no Dawg in him at all, and that makes me feel more comfortable with him. There are two ways of looking at it, you can say he was surrounded by talent at NC St., or you can say he played at such a level that he allowed those players to excel beyond where they normally would have.

The problem is, the definitive answer wou't be known for a few years.

But I also agree that WR and DE are the most likely selections for the Broncos in RD 1...

Comment

Originally posted by MindField
                  I agree with MUG that anytime you get a smaller DT in the 6'1"-6'"-293 range, that you are rolling the dice a little.....but it turned out OK for Cotrey Simon for a number of years....I simply like McCargo because he is a worker. There is no Dawg in him at all, and that makes me feel more comfortable with him. There are two ways of looking at it, you can say he was surrounded by talent at NC St., or you can say he played at such a level that he allowed those players to excel beyond where they normally would have.

The problem is, the definitive answer wou't be known for a few years.

But I also agree that WR and DE are the most likely selections for the Broncos in RD 1...
                  I like McCargo, but Williams and Lawson are freak athletes and they were the ones making things easier on McCargo. I think Wroten, Bunkley are next top DT's outside of Ngata. They are better one gappers than McCargo.

Two gappers Oshinowo and Watson will probably be taken before him.

Jesse Mahelona, Rod Wright, and Orien Harris can play either one or two gap. I think McCargo will be in the same class as these guys even though he mostly a one gapper. These guys are appearing to be early second rounders.

Any way we look at it we should get a solid DT in round #2. McCargo in round #2 would be very satisfying.
                  The three Keys to football
                  1. Turnovers
                  2. Field Position
                  3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Working...
                  X