No announcement yet.

Would you be OK with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With a passing system that typically revolves around the tight end I would not be disappointed if Shanny traded both picks for Davis. He is a work horse and his combines were off the chart. The Broncos need a franchise TE like they had with Sharpe. Having a pontential great TE in Davis would relieve Plummer of some pressure in the passing game.

Comment

Originally posted by PurdueBronc
      With a passing system that typically revolves around the tight end I would not be disappointed if Shanny traded both picks for Davis. He is a work horse and his combines were off the chart. The Broncos need a franchise TE like they had with Sharpe. Having a pontential great TE in Davis would relieve Plummer of some pressure in the passing game.
      *standing ovation*

Javalon, he has A HELL OF A POINT.

Comment

Originally posted by RoorRipper
        *standing ovation*

Javalon, he has A HELL OF A POINT.
        Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have Davis and I agree that a top tight end would greatly enhance our offense (like in the days of Sharpe). Just not at the cost of both of our first round picks.

Davis is no guarantee.

We'd be better off drafting the next two best prospects at tight end with our first two picks than trading away our two picks for just one pick.

As I mentioned, none of the 3 tight ends who were top 10 picks in the past 20 years have panned out. But a lot of the mid to late first rounders and below have become stars.

Two of the top 22 picks is clearly better than the #5 or #6 pick, in my opinion, regardless of what the trade charts might show. I'll say it again:

Two picks = lower risk and cheaper price. I'll take the better odds of success.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Its a tough call, unlikely that both of our 1sts turn out to be probowlers, but that doesnt mean Davis will be either. Here is a list of our last 10 1st rd picks.

Last 10 1st rders

DJ Williams
          George Foster
          Ashley Lelie
          Willie Middlebrooks
          Deltha Oneil
          Al Wilson
          Marcus Nash
          Trevor Pryce
          John Mobley
          Dan Williams

Out of these 10 you have 4 who have been to the Pro Bowl (Al Wilson, Trevor Pryce, John Mobley, Deltha) . You have 7 reliable starter quality guys (DJ, Foster, Lelie, Deltha, Al, Trevor, and John). Thats a very solid 70% hit rate on our 1st rd picks. With 3 star quality guys in Al, Trevor, and John. I dont think its worth trading 2 chances to hit, for one. There have been alot of players who were drafted in the top 5 who have busted. I mean look at Kellen Winslow II, he is a bust so far, granted not jsut bc of his talent, but his stupidity. There is no guarantee Davis will be a stud. I would rather get 2 chances, than one.

Comment

Originally posted by RoorRipper
            Would you be satisfied if the Broncos packaged both of our first rounders for the 49ers 6th pick?

HOW ABOUT SOMEONE POSTS WHY?!?!?!
            For me this depends on what the Broncos are planning to do in the draft.

If they are certain they need help in the passing game, and are determined to get a WR, than I am absolutely FOR this! None of the WR's available hold a candle to Vernon Davis.

He can run with any of them. Is bigger and stronger than any of them, and does just as much (if not more) after the ball is in his hands as any of them.

Being a TE he obviously has some experience blocking (downfield blocking is a huge part of our offense).

If they are convinced they need help on the offensive side of the ball, none of the WR's available, will do half as much for us, as soon, as Davis could.

If Duke is starting in the AFCCG (with little/no previous experience @ TE) Davis could step in and be a huge upgrade, immediately.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
              Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have Davis and I agree that a top tight end would greatly enhance our offense (like in the days of Sharpe). Just not at the cost of both of our first round picks.

Davis is no guarantee.

We'd be better off drafting the next two best prospects at tight end with our first two picks than trading away our two picks for just one pick.

As I mentioned, none of the 3 tight ends who were top 10 picks in the past 20 years have panned out. But a lot of the mid to late first rounders and below have become stars.

Two of the top 22 picks is clearly better than the #5 or #6 pick, in my opinion, regardless of what the trade charts might show. I'll say it again:

Two picks = lower risk and cheaper price. I'll take the better odds of success.
              I understand your reservations about trading both 1st round picks for Davis, I have them too. The title of the post inquires if you would be ok with it, and I absolutely would be. Where I can see your point in security in numbers, this guy was faster then the 2nd place TE in the 40 by .16: a 4.38 is unheard of by a TE. The Broncos used to motion Sharpe as a WR, and with this guy, there is no question they could do the same. Furthermore his vertical is 4.5'' higher than Pope's, granted Pope's height makes up for that.

As far as none of the 3 TEs picked in the top 10 panning out in the past 20 years, it's just a number. Yes, it is a bad number, but when you only have 3 TE picked in the top 10, the odds of players not panning out is greater, then if there were more TE picked in the top 10. Also, Winslow may have had a great career if he didn't get in that accident. There have been plenty of players picked in the top 10 playing other positions that have not panned out as well.

What positions do the Broncos need to use there 2 first round picks for?
              Offensive: QB-no. RB- it would be nice to pick up any of the top 3, but not necessary. WR- the Broncos need to start looking for a replacement for Rod ( I don't think it'd Lelie, so yes. Although, as I mentioned above, Davis could be utilized as a WR. TE- absolutely, with as much as the Broncos use the bootleg, having a good TE is essential, not to mention for run blocking.

Defense wise, are CBs are good, if Huff were to drop down far enough maybe go for him because we need saety help, but I doubt he will. DE and DT we need, but there will be quality guys in the 2nd round and later.

A great TE is hard to come by, and although trading up for Davis is a high risk situation, I believe the high reward potential would be worth it.

Comment

Davis could be utilized as a WR. TE- absolutely, with as much as the Broncos use the bootleg...
                Good point!!! I forgot about the bootleg - - For me if they want halp in the passing game, it's kind of a no-brainer.

He could help us fathoms more than any Chad Jackson, or Santonio Holmes. IMO

Our track record with 1st round WR's is sad on it's best of days, I DO NOT want to see that continue, I am sick of these guys not performing consistently, and some not atall (Nash).

Comment

Trade up but not for Vernon Davis

Comment

I understand your reservations about trading both 1st round picks for Davis, I have them too. The title of the post inquires if you would be ok with it, and I absolutely would be. Where I can see your point in security in numbers, this guy was faster then the 2nd place TE in the 40 by .16: a 4.38 is unheard of by a TE. The Broncos used to motion Sharpe as a WR, and with this guy, there is no question they could do the same. Furthermore his vertical is 4.5'' higher than Pope's, granted Pope's height makes up for that.

As far as none of the 3 TEs picked in the top 10 panning out in the past 20 years, it's just a number. Yes, it is a bad number, but when you only have 3 TE picked in the top 10, the odds of players not panning out is greater, then if there were more TE picked in the top 10. Also, Winslow may have had a great career if he didn't get in that accident. There have been plenty of players picked in the top 10 playing other positions that have not panned out as well.

What positions do the Broncos need to use there 2 first round picks for?
                    Offensive: QB-no. RB- it would be nice to pick up any of the top 3, but not necessary. WR- the Broncos need to start looking for a replacement for Rod ( I don't think it'd Lelie, so yes. Although, as I mentioned above, Davis could be utilized as a WR. TE- absolutely, with as much as the Broncos use the bootleg, having a good TE is essential, not to mention for run blocking.

Defense wise, are CBs are good, if Huff were to drop down far enough maybe go for him because we need saety help, but I doubt he will. DE and DT we need, but there will be quality guys in the 2nd round and later.

A great TE is hard to come by, and although trading up for Davis is a high risk situation, I believe the high reward potential would be worth it.
                    I understand where you're coming from. And we definitely agree that we'd like to have Davis on the team. But we obviously disagree on whether he's worth both of our first rounders.

But what I would be okay with is the possibility that Davis drops to say around #8 - #10 and we trade our 2nd-rounder along with the 15th overall pick.

Then again, I might be okay with trading both our first rounders if would keep the Raiders from getting Vernon Davis.
                    "You can't take the sky from me..."
                    ------
                    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

I tend to go along with the thinking of Javalon. While having Davis would be nice considering the tools he brings to the table, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of giving up two number one picks to get. We still have a need of rush end regardless of the fa signing of Lang and the abundance of DL that are atm on the roster. If I'm understanding the sepulation of this draft correctly the best of the crop of DE will be gone by the end of the first round. Imo the more picks we have the better our chances of bringing in quality players.
                      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                        I understand where you're coming from. And we definitely agree that we'd like to have Davis on the team. But we obviously disagree on whether he's worth both of our first rounders.

But what I would be okay with is the possibility that Davis drops to say around #8 - #10 and we trade our 2nd-rounder along with the 15th overall pick.

Then again, I might be okay with trading both our first rounders if would keep the Raiders from getting Vernon Davis.
                        I don't want to see him go to Oakland either... they have enough VD already, without getting a player of the same initials. We however could use a good dose of VD (Vernon Davis that is.)

Comment

Working...
                        X