NFL.Com Broncs looking at getting #10 Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL.Com Broncs looking at getting #10 Pick

NFL.com says the Broncs are thinking about trading up. The Cards own the #10 pick and they also are still thinking about taking Cutler. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9339274

Welcome Travis!

Bailey Baby!

It'd be interesting to who it is, but I'm guessing it'll definitely be someone big if they say something like,"If he's still there." Honestly, I would like to have Vernon Davis, but I think we really need a WR first. I trust Duke to be our future TE.
    Go Huskers.

Comment

That was an article looking at how draft day trades work hypothetically.

They weren't actually saying that Denver had contacted the Cardinals.
      My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
      . Post Your Artwork .
      . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by hellomrwilson56
        NFL.com says the Broncs are thinking about trading up. The Cards own the #10 pick and they also are still thinking about taking Cutler. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9339274
        Jay Cutler? That would be totally Bat**** insane!

Why would a team 1 win away from a SB with a veteran QB signed for the next 3 seasons want to use two picks to grab a rookie franchise QB who will command a HUGE salary and signing bonus. . .

And WON'T be ready to help the team win a SB for at least the next 3 years, if ever!

Remember when Dan Reeves got himself fired for doing this?

Reeves drafted Tommy Maddox as Elway's replacement with the Broncos #1 pick and didn't get his contract renewed because it didn't help the team win the SB.

While Shanahan would be in no danger of being FIRED it would be a stunning admission that this Bronco team, as presently constituted doesn't have what it takes to win a SB and needs to retool for the future.

13-3 teams don't do that.

13-3 teams that make it to the AFC title game certainly don't use their top draft picks on a future franchise QB, when their current starter is under contract and easily able to play for the next three years, thus relegating the rookie to clip-board holding duties until the 2009 season!

This would destroy whatever lockerroom chemistry there is and totally undermine Plummer's position with the team. There would be endless media speculation every time Plummer threw a pick that Cutler would be substituted, etc.

Not to mention that this certainly wouldn't help the Broncos get over the hump in 2006!

In short, this would be a horrible idea, and I don't believe it for a minute.

If Shanahan does anything like that I personally would be stunned.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl

Thank you. Read the article people...

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
            Thank you. Read the article people...
            I'm sure they either have or will contact the Cardinals. Vitrually every team talks to almost every other team in the draft to explore whether they would be interested in trading their picks and for what.

The NFL. It's like an old lady gossiping society!

I doubt they've seriously explored a trade but they sound all the team out on whether they would consider a move and what it would take, etc.

If they can pick up some information about who's considering moving up or back that helps them put together their draft board, since they know what the current weaknesses of the teams are and can guess what players they might be targeting. This in turn helps prepare them so they aren't caught flat-footed by draft day moves.

Of course, they often are when something unexpected happens like Minnesota failing to submit their card or something, but at least the surprise is minimized as much as possible.
            sigpic

Comment

It has to be Vernon Davis they are eyeing. I just wonder if having Vernon is worth giving up another pick when someone like Byrd will be around at the #22? Its going to be an interesting month here. Don't get me wrong, Vernon would be a huge addition but can this guy run block as well? That is pretty much why Putzier wasnt a fav of Shanahan's.

sigpic

Myself, Shawn (a chefs fan) and Mike on our way home from the Sand Trap in June '06. (Mildenhall AFB)

Comment

Originally posted by Straz1999
                It has to be Vernon Davis they are eyeing. I just wonder if having Vernon is worth giving up another pick when someone like Byrd will be around at the #22? Its going to be an interesting month here. Don't get me wrong, Vernon would be a huge addition but can this guy run block as well? That is pretty much why Putzier wasnt a fav of Shanahan's.
                Yeah, there's that.

Davis would be a much better prospect than Putzier, and has great hands, but blocking isn't his strong point.

Of course, the bios of Davis remind me of the kinds of things people said about Shannon Sharpe. HIS blocking sucked when he left college and he never become a great blocker, but it became adequate. People said he was too slow to be a WR and not big enough to be a serious target in the end-zone like the bigger TEs and was a poor blocker.

In short he's a tweener. But we all know that Shannon was a nightmare for teams to cover because he was too fast for the LBs and too big for safties or CBs to cover effectively.

Davis could be the same thing. I personally would be thrilled to get him, although I don't know if that's really what Shanahan is doing. Frankly, it just seems too obvious for Shanahan. He's always doing something weird that nobody expected and this is the expected.

My bet is that he doesn't trade up and that this is all a rumor campaign to throw other teams off whatever he's really doing.
                sigpic

Comment

Knowing our history of reaching in the draft we would probably trade up in the draft to take..... Sinorice Moss.. Now that would be funny. I would not be surprised to see us move up to take someone that would have been available anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                    Knowing our history of reaching in the draft we would probably trade up in the draft to take..... Sinorice Moss.. Now that would be funny. I would not be surprised to see us move up to take someone that would have been available anyway.
                    Example 1A: Seattle trades up in second round to take Lofa Tatupu (for no reason in particular, right?). At the time, it seemed to be a monumental reach. Doesn't look so bad now does it...

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl

"hypothetically" being the key word here people
                      sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

I would personally like to see us grab one of the NC state DE's. I don't care how or where. As much as I throw down on Jake I still think our biggest need is DE. Nothing personal Kenard. Davis is also a beast, I wouldn't cry about that either.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                          Example 1A: Seattle trades up in second round to take Lofa Tatupu (for no reason in particular, right?). At the time, it seemed to be a monumental reach. Doesn't look so bad now does it...

He turned out to be a great player, and a smart choice, but he was still poor value. Tatupu would have been available 2 rounds later. Seattle could have still selected him, he would have been paid less, and he still would have put up the great numbers.

Even if Darius Watts was producing at a Pro Bowl level currently, he would still represent poor draft value because he could have been had 2 rounds later then when he was selected.

Sometimes you reach in a draft just because you love a player and want to take the risk. But even if it pays off, the reach was still a risk on the day he was drafted. We tend to make a reach or two every draft. Generally, they are amplified because they seldom work out, but most teams do it as well, just with better success.

As for Cutler, yeah, I could see it. It wouldn't surprise me. I'm fairly certain its going to be Chad Jackson at 15 and Leonard Pope at 22, but if Cutler/Davis were to start sliding, I'd expect a trade up using the 2nd round pick.

Comment

There's only one way I'll approve of trading up for Cutler (who I think is awesome if you know anything about me). That's if Plummer says he's going to retire after this season. That's highly unlikely.

Unfortunately, I too have a gut feeling that the guy Shanahan is targeting is Davis. That's why he would trade up to #10, right in front of the Rams who need a TE. Luckily for us (you'll all learn to understand my opinion eventually), he won't be there because he should be picked up by either the 49ers or Lions.

Other possible targets at #10 could be Haloti Ngata, Winston Justice, and Michael Huff; Huff should also go to either the 49ers or Lions at 6 or 9, though.
                            A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoChicken
                              There's only one way I'll approve of trading up for Cutler (who I think is awesome if you know anything about me). That's if Plummer says he's going to retire after this season. That's highly unlikely.

Unfortunately, I too have a gut feeling that the guy Shanahan is targeting is Davis. That's why he would trade up to #10, right in front of the Rams who need a TE. Luckily for us (you'll all learn to understand my opinion eventually), he won't be there because he should be picked up by either the 49ers or Lions.

Other possible targets at #10 could be Haloti Ngata, Winston Justice, and Michael Huff; Huff should also go to either the 49ers or Lions at 6 or 9, though.

I think Vernon Davis could very well be there by #10; the Lions have a good TE in Marcus Pollard and the 49ers have a good TE in Eric Johnson. Both have bigger needs to fill and would do well to look elsewhere for help with their first picks.

Comment

Working...
                              X