No announcement yet.

Wishful thinking or kidding ourselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishful thinking or kidding ourselves?

Look, I know that 90% of the guys on this board recognize the not-so-subtle fact that the Broncos are severely lacking a quality pass rusher.

I also realize that having the #15 and #22 overall picks are exciting and everyone has their own ideas on how we should spend them:

-Lendale White, Deangelo Williams, Lawrence Maroney

-Chad Jackson, Santonio Holmes

-Tamba Hali, Matthias Kiwanuka, Manny Lawson, Broderick Bunkely

-Leonard Pope, Marcedes Lewis

-I've also seen the "trade up and get" Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, Haloti Ngata, Jay Cutler, Vince Young, Mario Williams etc.

Each of us has a definite couple of guys we'd like to see, unfortunately, Shanny never follows convention and is one of the most unorthodox drafters I've ever seen.

I think what I'm trying to say is, we won't be drafting D-line in the first round. Our current D-line, especially with the addition of Lang, is currently our highest paid unit. Kinda scary, huh? Ekuban, Brown, Warren, Engelberger, and Lang all make top dollar. I just can't see us bringing in a high priced rookie first rounder as well. Shanny is content and confident in Patterson and his "guys" - much to the rest of our dismay.

I'm also pretty positive Shanny won't be drafting a RB in the first. We'll sit back and watch Williams, Maroney, and White (all of whom I think we may have a shot at) pass us by. Shanny and co. are giving Dayne starting money and I think they've gone "all in" on their gamble that he can be our starter. Oh, I'm sure we'll draft a RB somewhere (probably the second day) to add more depth to the roster, but that's all it will ever be.

I can also see Shanny trading away both first rounders to trade up for Cutler. Why? Because it makes absolutely NO SENSE! Most of us are getting all amped up for the draft just to sit back come April 29th and 30th and cuss at the TV again, just like last year. To log on here and complain, just like last year.

Sorry to be such a buzz-kill, but has anyone else been excited about any of our recent drafts after the fact? Yeah, me neither.

Yup. I totally remember last year when i was like....."Another F'ing CORNER!!!! Are you F'ing KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!" Oh well, hopefully this year is different and we'll all be shocked by Shanahan actually drafting players that we expected him to!!

Comment

yeh

I wouldn't rule out useing out first 2 picks on D-linemen
      sigpic

Why did Mc'D get rid of Hillis?

Comment

Originally posted by GoBrOnCoS16
        Yup. I totally remember last year when i was like....."Another F'ing CORNER!!!! Are you F'ing KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!" Oh well, hopefully this year is different and we'll all be shocked by Shanahan actually drafting players that we expected him to!!

LOL. It was the same for me !!!

But, how did that worked out ???
        The one, the only Broncos !!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoBrOnCoS16
          I was surprised with all the cornerbacks drafted last year, but I did understand the theory and it worked out for the better I think. I like and called the draft pick of DJ Williams. I think he will surprise us. A RB in the first round would be a surprise. Trading down would be a surprise. What I am saying is there are a lot of ways we could be surprised, but I think Mike will make a great choice. He saw last year talent was not as good as this one, and made a killing off of Washington to have two first round picks in this draft. Not worried.
          CCZUU LUV

Comment

STUPID COACH- What WAS HE THINKING???? I mean What did those CORNERS even DO last YEAR????

I don't understand how we even field a team with all his dumb moves he makes year in and year out.
            http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

Comment

humm..

I mean What did those CORNERS even DO last YEAR????
              Stick to rugby dude.
              sigpic

Why did Mc'D get rid of Hillis?

Comment

Originally posted by IrishConrad
                Stick to rugby dude.

why?! he's right-- i wasn't entirely sure about it at the time, but it worked out fine. . . we now have more talent at the position than we have in years, it's been a revolving door with a bunch of cast-offs that needed an infusion of young talent. . .

or were a huge fan of lenny walls and roc alexander? we got mauled two years in a row in the playoffs because we didn't have anyone (besides champ the second year) who could cover worth jack!
                Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

HP, i wish you and cugel would quit with all the pre-draft doom and gloom-- i mean, most likely you're right, but that doesn't mean i wanna think about it in those terms any more than neccesary! i'm all for being a realist, but allow me some hope to cling to. . .

last year's draft, for not having a 1st rounder, was our best in a while, so maybe we're on an upswing-- we can't blow it every year!! two 1sts make me optimistic that we'll hit on at least one of them-- although in complete honesty i'm afraid you may be right about the DL. . .

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug
                    STUPID COACH- What WAS HE THINKING???? I mean What did those CORNERS even DO last YEAR????

I don't understand how we even field a team with all his dumb moves he makes year in and year out.
                    Hmm, you do realize that Williams was drafted as a KR/PR right? We got lucky in that he can play corner pretty well, too. Foxworth went about where he was supposed to. He's not exactly great, but he's adequate. Paymah hasn't done jack, yet. The sad fact is, if we'd just invest in a top pass rusher, we wouldn't need to blow all our picks on CBs that couldn't help us win the AFCCG because they were on an island the whole game!

Teams with a good pass rush don't need a great secondary (New England, Chicago, Carolina during their SB run) because the CBs don't need to cover for more than a few seconds and can get safety help because they don't always have to blitz (like us).

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug

Are you being sarcastic because Darrent and Foxy were damn good

B-Marsh owning Al Harris(Aka: the supposed most physical corner in the league)

Mock Draft:

**If Ellis/Dorsey fall**

1) Dorsey or Ellis(whoever falls)
                      2) Devin Thomas
                      4) Frank Okam
                      4) Beau Bell

**If Ellis/Dorsey dont fall**

1) Desean Jackson
                      2) Pat Sims or Trevor Laws(whoever falls)
                      4) Frank Okam
                      4) Beau Bell

Comment

Happy Last Year....

I thought it was great last year when they finally took steps to take care of the poor CB positions. All three were speed burners. One was a prime returner, also. One was big for a corner. It just made sense. Last year's draft has made major upgrades already and I would love to see the same relative improvement this year. I can't remember the last time the Broncos had two top picks. What ever they decise to do, it will improve the team either with depth or impact players.

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
                          Hmm, you do realize that Williams was drafted as a KR/PR right? We got lucky in that he can play corner pretty well, too. Foxworth went about where he was supposed to. He's not exactly great, but he's adequate. Paymah hasn't done jack, yet. The sad fact is, if we'd just invest in a top pass rusher, we wouldn't need to blow all our picks on CBs that couldn't help us win the AFCCG because they were on an island the whole game!

Teams with a good pass rush don't need a great secondary (New England, Chicago, Carolina during their SB run) because the CBs don't need to cover for more than a few seconds and can get safety help because they don't always have to blitz (like us).

now, i want DL as much as anybody on the board, and have wanted a premier pass rusher for years. . . but the pickins were a little slim by the time we came on the board, if i remember correctly. . . who was there, justin tuck? honestly, i can't remember for sure, but there definitely weren't any dynamite DE prospects left at that point. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado69
                            I thought it was great last year when they finally took steps to take care of the poor CB positions. All three were speed burners. One was a prime returner, also. One was big for a corner. It just made sense. Last year's draft has made major upgrades already and I would love to see the same relative improvement this year. I can't remember the last time the Broncos had two top picks. What ever they decise to do, it will improve the team either with depth or impact players.
                            Mmmkay, be honest. Were you happy on draft day? Sure, hindsight being 20/20 it looks like we got a steal, but everyone agreed that all the CBs except Foxy were reaches. Shanny has always sucked at drafting corners (O'neal, Middlebroke) and last year he just flat out shotgunned the draft in hopes to get one CB that would pan out.

These guys were brought in for depth because of our previous CB injury problems. Nobody expected them to leapfrog Walls, Middlebroke, and Alexander in camp. It's nice to finally get a draft break, but we just flat lucked out last year.

Comment

Yes of course I was being sarcastic. People here tend to forget that those guys bailed us out last year. They were not even supposed to really play at all. How many other 2nd and 3rds made impacts last year??

The last time Shanahan followed conventional thinking we drafted Lelie and Williams. Neither of which are going to put us over the hump.

PS Expect Jason Allen. He has Shanny written all over him
                              http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

Comment

Working...
                              X