Wishful thinking or kidding ourselves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
    Mmmkay, be honest. Were you happy on draft day? Sure, hindsight being 20/20 it looks like we got a steal, but everyone agreed that all the CBs except Foxy were reaches. Shanny has always sucked at drafting corners (O'neal, Middlebroke) and last year he just flat out shotgunned the draft in hopes to get one CB that would pan out.

These guys were brought in for depth because of our previous CB injury problems. Nobody expected them to leapfrog Walls, Middlebroke, and Alexander in camp. It's nice to finally get a draft break, but we just flat lucked out last year.

Both Tory James and O' Neal Are Shanahand Drafts and pro bowl corners. O'neal has gone twice for all his suckiness. But your right we just got lucky last year. He could not possibly have had any idea they were good players.
    http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
      now, i want DL as much as anybody on the board, and have wanted a premier pass rusher for years. . . but the pickins were a little slim by the time we came on the board, if i remember correctly. . . who was there, justin tuck? honestly, i can't remember for sure, but there definitely weren't any dynamite DE prospects left at that point. . .

I realize that our draft status may not be conducive to getting a top DE, but Abraham was available this season. Heck, the Jets shopped him last year for a third because he was coming off injury. We could've got him for a song. But, Shanny is too busy looking for "Brownco bargains" to really see that they're not bargains at all. I'll give the Browncos one more season to produce, if not I'd like to see us clean house and start fresh.

Comment

I realize that our draft status may not be conducive to getting a top DE, but Abraham was available this season. Heck, the Jets shopped him last year for a third because he was coming off injury. We could've got him for a song. But, Shanny is too busy looking for "Brownco bargains" to really see that they're not bargains at all. I'll give the Browncos one more season to produce, if not I'd like to see us clean house and start fresh.

beleive me, i'll be the first one to launch the remote in a fit of rage if we draft some chode. . . IF we have what i consider a decent draft, i'll be pretty pleased with the off-season overall, but i would have loved adding abraham. . . i won't pretend to under stand the intricacies of the cap, frankly i've just never had the interest to sit down and read about it, so i honestly can't say whether we just couldn't afford him, or were just too cheap. . .

i'm certainly no big fan of the browncos. . . i would LOVE to see the "starting fresh" start this year with the draft, but i also see us going heavy on O the 1st day and ignoring the DL once again. . .
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
          HP, i wish you and cugel would quit with all the pre-draft doom and gloom-- i mean, most likely you're right, but that doesn't mean i wanna think about it in those terms any more than neccesary! i'm all for being a realist, but allow me some hope to cling to. . .

last year's draft, for not having a 1st rounder, was our best in a while, so maybe we're on an upswing-- we can't blow it every year!! two 1sts make me optimistic that we'll hit on at least one of them-- although in complete honesty i'm afraid you may be right about the DL. . .
          Imho I think its always best to hold back judgment as much as possible until you see the end product. Like everyone else I was left scratching my head on why we drafted three corners with three of our first four picks. But as you pointed out now we are deeper and more talented than we have been at that position.

I don't think that any of us should make the assumption that because we have an over abundance of DL right now that some how that means we wont draft a DE or DT.

Like the draft two years ago that brought DJ Williams to this team this draft is very deep and with two number ones that does give us a better chance of at least hitting the mark with at least one of them. (Jav said this in another thread).
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Wow, Brown and Warren each did a nice job last year. I don't see how you can be so down on them, I know they could have had more sacks but they were constintly busting up plays in the backfield. I am pretty excited about Lang, he is a great DE and a mediocer LB. We didn't hear much out of him last year because he was playing LB for the first time. Don't be so quick to throw them under the bus, they might turn out to be a blessing

Comment

Originally posted by jvw
              Wow, Brown and Warren each did a nice job last year. I don't see how you can be so down on them, I know they could have had more sacks but they were constintly busting up plays in the backfield. I am pretty excited about Lang, he is a great DE and a mediocer LB. We didn't hear much out of him last year because he was playing LB for the first time. Don't be so quick to throw them under the bus, they might turn out to be a blessing

Warren, 19 tackles and 3 sacks

Brown, 2 sacks.

Wow, there's a lot of "busting stuff up" right there

These are the guys we have to work with. When Warren got paid in Cleveland, he stopped playing hard. He just got "paid" by us. We'll see how that turns out.

Comment

Warren, 19 tackles and 3 sacks

Brown, 2 sacks.

Wow, there's a lot of "busting stuff up" right there

These are the guys we have to work with. When Warren got paid in Cleveland, he stopped playing hard. He just got "paid" by us. We'll see how that turns out.
                Stop whining and wait and see what happens berore you have your coniption fits

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug
                  Both Tory James and O' Neal Are Shanahand Drafts and pro bowl corners. O'neal has gone twice for all his suckiness. But your right we just got lucky last year. He could not possibly have had any idea they were good players.

Okay, stay with me on this...

This year Cincy led the league in turnovers and we were second. Last year it was Indy and the year before it was KC. What do all these teams have in common? Killer secondaries? Nope. How about top offenses that get out to a big lead early and force the opposing team to throw thereby making them one dimensional and forcing turnovers (Just like Pittsburgh did to us in the AFCCG, or we did to NE the week before).

O'neal and James are no more "great CBs" than KC's lineup of Greg Wesley, Jerome Woods, Dexter McLeon, and Eric Warfield (most of whom are now unemployed) were a "dominant secondary" two years ago. Wesley and Woods made the probowl that year and where are they now?
                  Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 03-27-2006, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jvw
                    Stop whining and wait and see what happens berore you have your coniption fits

Oh don't worry, I'll be here the night of the 29th either happily eating my crow while you guys say I told you so...

Or, more likely, I'll be here complaining about another draft gone bad with you and everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by broncs2bowl
                      Are you being sarcastic because Darrent and Foxy were damn good

Of course he is ...at least, I sure as h*ll thought he was.

sigpic
                      They're your teammates, now.
                      Best of luck, TT!
                      ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

When Warren got paid in Cleveland, he stopped playing hard. He just got "paid" by us. We'll see how that turns out.
                        Yea but you gotta remember he was playin for Cleveland. There's not a whole lot of incentive to playing hard while the rest of the team doesnt give a damn and just wishes it was the offseason by week 4.

Comment

Working...
                        X