Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the mock with moxie.

my first ever mock:

1. Houston Texans. D’brickshaw Ferguson. If you really think about it, it’s the only thing that makes sense.

2. New Orleans Saints. Vernon Davis. Their $60 million man likes a good tight end. Rounds out their offence nicely.

3. Tennessee Titans. Vince Young. VY is a better passer at this point than McNair was coming out of college.

4. New York Jets. Mario Williams. John who? Jets take Croyle in round 2.

5. Green Bay Packers. AJ Hawk. Probably the most likely pick in the top 10, imo. Gives the Pack 2 good young backers.

6. San Francisco 49ers. Reggie Bush. Bush can’t fall any further. Bush and Gore make a nice 1-2 punch.

7. Oakland Raiders. Haloti Ngata. Ted Washington is gone. Sapp is old and broken. They need a big presence in the middle of their line.

8. Buffalo Bills. Winston Justice. Both lines need to be revamped. They get better value at DT at pick 40.

9. Detroit Lions. Michael Huff. Best first pick they have made in years.

10. Arizona Cardinals. Jay Cutler. Cards go with the better arm. Leinart kicks himself for the most expensive post-secondary class in history.

11. St. Louis Rams. Tye Hill. The Rams get a much needed cover man.

12. Cleveland Browns. Broderick Bunkley. The size and athleticism to be a great 3-4 end.

13. Baltimore Ravens. Matt Leinhart. I don’t think Boller showed enough last year to pass on ML.

14. Philidelphia Eagles. Lendale White. Can’t keep throwing 70% of the time. Much needed inside running presence.

15. Denver Broncos. Tamba Hali. Shanny taking an end this high would be a huge departure from the norm. So I can’t see him using it on a pure speed rusher. Coyer seems to like to keep his defense –let’s say balanced—and Hali does that. His motor and strength may not get as many sacks as other prospects, but it allows him to play all three downs. Shanny does address the defensive line, but with the safe choice.

16. Miami Dolphins. Chad Greenway. Miami’s defence is full of holes. Greenway fills one of them.

17. Minnesota Vikings. Ernie Sims. Comparisons to Derrick Brooks gets new defensive co-ordinator, and ex-Tampa Bay coach, Mike Tomlin’s attention.

18. Dallas Cowboys. Bobby Carpenter. Parcells continues to build his defense. The addition of a FS in the 2nd makes the job almost complete.

19. San Diego Chargers. Chad Jackson. The Chargers get someone that can stretch the field for the more powerfully armed Rivers.

20. Kansas City Chiefs. Jimmy Williams. If he can’t cut it at corner, could still be a very good safety. They can use the help in both, so it’s a good gamble.

21. New England Patriots. Antonio Cromartie. The patch-work secondary has taken the Pats as far as it can. This pick could also easily be Manny Lawson or Wimbley if BB feels they will be good fits at olb.

22. Denver Broncos. Eric Winston. Shanny likes to consider extra picks in a round bonuses. Whether he gave something up for it or not. So he takes his tackle for the future. Lepsis should have at least two more years, in which time Winston can perfect his technique. Also a little cushion in case Foster stays plateaued. Shanny’s love of bargains also makes Jason Allen a very real possibility.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Marcus McNeil. When Gruden was scouting Cadillac, he would have seen a lot of McNeil.

24. Cincinnati Bengals. Gabe Watson. Pretty glaring need for the bengals.

25. New York Giants. DeMeco Ryans. The Giants try to get this Manning some defense. Holmes also a big possibility.

26. Chicago Bears. Santonio Holmes. They don’t have the offences to pass up Holmes. If Holmes is gone, they take Pope.

27. Carolina Panthers. DeAngelo Williams. The Panthers may be wary about taking a smaller back with durability concerns, but with Davis being gone, Foster and Goings need the reinforcements.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars. Thomas Howard. The Jags have an opening for a starting linebacker.

29. New York Jets. Nick Mangold. Jets start to rebuild their o-line.

30. Indiana Colts. Lawrence Maroney. Basically, whichever back the Colts feel will fit their system the best, they will take.

31. Seattle Seahawks. Mattias Kiwanuka. Since they wanted Abraham for this pick, they go with Kiwi. Could also get good value and go with a safety here.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers. Jason Allen. Replaces Chris Hope.

so i should just go ahead and explain my reasoning for bush falling to 6.

kubiak is coming from a system that proves that a great line can have success with a good back. dominick davis is a good back. over the last 3 years, he has rushed for over 3k yards, recieved for over 1k, and scored 28 touchdowns. plus he was voted team mvp this season. but over that same 3 year period, the texans gave up 208 sacks. thats 70 per season. if they drafted bush, they would then have two good to great backs but still be giving up 4.3 sacks a game. d'brick is the stone that kubes will build his house on.

i dont see NO taken bush. duece is one of the top backs in the league, and michael bennet gives them a nice change of pace back.

tennessee very well could take bush. im sure norm chow would love it. but the #1 rule of the draft is if you dont have a franchise qb, you get him. unless they believe matt mauck is their long-term solution, they make do with travis henry and chris brown.

the jets also might take him. they do have a need with martin getting old, but im going with the hunch.

i dont see bush as a lambeau field kind of guy. im not sure bush's game really suits the frozen tundra. ahman green just signed a new contract, and the packers have a need for a linebacker.

and that brings bush to 6.

rip away.
    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Bush won't fall to six... I agree that its not a done deal that the Texans will take him and like you I actually think that they will take Ferguson, but they'll trade out of the spot and pick up Ferguson with 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick.

Comment

The thing about Mocks is it's all an educated guess. No one who does a Mock can nail 'em all. CP to you for the first Mock I've seen with some originality, and for swimming upstream against convention. Nice job.

Comment

I love that you didn't have Bush going first, but I think you need to include the human factor when it comes to NO. If the Texans pass on Bush, then the Saints take him because he will put people in the seats. That is something the Saints need whether they stay or go. You are right that he doesn't fill a roster need, however he fills a huge PR need. Vernon Davis a real beast, just hasn't had the press coverage.

Comment

I guess its interesting that you try and be different, unfortunately the draft isn't about creativity. Your reasoning makes a bit of sense...but your reasoning does not account for football logic.

What do I mean by football logic?

Well firstly...One of the most phenomenal college players in recent memory must be taken at number 1. No questions asked. Bush will go number 1. And even if the Texans were so trashed on JD's that they skipped on him... I can think of 4 other teams that would pick Bush before the Niners at #6.

From a Bronco's standpoint... I don't like either of those picks. Hali is overrated and Winston is not worth a 22. We could have stayed at 29 for him. If we can get Santonio Holmes at 22 we gotta take him. That's a given.
          Last edited by tdot_bronco; 03-28-2006, 08:36 AM.
          Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Damien Nash 1982-2007

Comment

Originally posted by bcbronc
            the mock with moxie.

my first ever mock:

1. Houston Texans. D’brickshaw Ferguson. If you really think about it, it’s the only thing that makes sense.
            Yep, that's moxie alright. Congrats on veering from the norm. Waaay off the norm.
            "You can't take the sky from me..."
            ------
            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

yh i htink houston would best be served by taking Brick as well. On the other hand, if they dont do Bush, no way do they take Brick at 1. They can trade down and get brick which makes more sense. Under the chance that Bush doesnt go one though, I cant imagine Bush going past the Jets at 4.

Comment

Looks pretty good to me. Like others though, NO would take Bush if Texas does not. If I was Texas I would trade the pick away. They could get alot for it. More than what value points suggest. I'm also sold that The Titans will pick V. Young, how can you not since Steve Mcnair has been mentoring him for the last few yrs. Too bad Mcnair's character does not rub off on Young.
                Last edited by Dry Kill Logic; 03-28-2006, 11:09 AM.
                The Hebrew Hammer's DVD Collection

Reggie Bush IR watch-( 5 mins into practice and he pulls up lame.)

What will happen when he gets hit by the men in practice.

communism has only killed 100 million people. Let's give it another chance.

Comment

I like that you posted it.

That said, I believe there is no way the Jets pass on Leinart and Bush. No way....

Comment

Originally posted by robfra78
                    Bush won't fall to six... I agree that its not a done deal that the Texans will take him and like you I actually think that they will take Ferguson, but they'll trade out of the spot and pick up Ferguson with 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick.
                    definately a possibility. and i think that would be the ideal situation for the texans. but with new orleans also being willing to move, the #1 spot doesnt have the value it once did.

plus the biggest reason for a move up would be a qb, but with houston and new orleans likely not being in the market, and the climb up the charts by cutler, im not sure the jets or tennessee are going to think its worth giving up a ton just to get to the top pick. both are pretty much guaranteed a qb where they stand now.

green bay and san fran definately dont move up for a qb. oakland might, but im not sure either houston or new orleans would be willing to move back that far.

i definately think both top 2 picks are on the market, but the way the top of the board is lining up, unless the jets or titans consider one guy heads and tails above everyone else, the asking price for #1 might be too high considering they are both guaranteed a great prospect in their current slot.

besides that, i didnt want to start speculating on trades. there is talk of probably half the teams looking to move up or down.
                    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Fan in exile
                      I love that you didn't have Bush going first, but I think you need to include the human factor when it comes to NO. If the Texans pass on Bush, then the Saints take him because he will put people in the seats. That is something the Saints need whether they stay or go. You are right that he doesn't fill a roster need, however he fills a huge PR need. Vernon Davis a real beast, just hasn't had the press coverage.

i think brees is already generating the buzz needed. now they need to start winning some games. of the top 5-6 teams, i feel new orleans is the least likely destination for bush.

Comment

Originally posted by bcbronc
                        i think brees is already generating the buzz needed. now they need to start winning some games. of the top 5-6 teams, i feel new orleans is the least likely destination for bush.
                        You are crazy. Drew Brees will not generate anywhere near the excitement that Reggie Bush would. he is instant explosion. And in NO he could come in and play the slot receiver and RB 10-15 plays a game. I don't think anybody wants this guys carrying the ball 30 times a game. They want to get him in space. He would make the Saints offense flat out scary.

but I think he could have a similary impact on the Texans if they invest in OL with other picks and in FA. He would open the field up for that team. Andre Johnson would become the WR everyone knows he can. Nobody could focus on him anymore.

Comment

Is Jason Allen still worth 1st round? I haven't looked at a whole lot of mocks, but . I liked him in college though. I could never sit down long enough to try a mock, but I'll give it up for ya. i can tell you spent some time on it.

Comment

Originally posted by tdot_bronco
                            I guess its interesting that you try and be different, unfortunately the draft isn't about creativity. Your reasoning makes a bit of sense...but your reasoning does not account for football logic.

What do I mean by football logic?

Well firstly...One of the most phenomenal college players in recent memory must be taken at number 1. No questions asked. Bush will go number 1. And even if the Texans were so trashed on JD's that they skipped on him... I can think of 4 other teams that would pick Bush before the Niners at #6.

From a Bronco's standpoint... I don't like either of those picks. Hali is overrated and Winston is not worth a 22. We could have stayed at 29 for him. If we can get Santonio Holmes at 22 we gotta take him. That's a given.

well, my football logic says that you dont win without a great oline. as good as bush is, is he that much better than the next back (or even the proven DD the texans already have) than d'brick is over the next tackle?

bush is an exciting player, but even at the college level he wasnt an every down player. and there is much more bust potential (or at least not living up to the hype) in bush than there is in d'brick. considering the money involved in the #1 pick, the fact that d'brick is the closest thing to a cant miss in this draft, and he fills the texans hugest hole on the team, i would be shocked if the texans took bush (unless it is in an eli manning scenario). i think the addition of d'brick instantly gives the texans a playoff calibre offense. i dont think the same thing can be said about the addition of bush.

so if the texans dont take bush at #1, the only other team i see likely to take him is the jets. and like i said there, just went on a hunch.

as for the broncos standpoint, i agree completely. im just guessing as to what shanny will do, not saying what i want him to do. i considered holmes at 22, but i think shanny is going to want to give watts and terrell one more year with dinger and then reevaluate. but if shanny feels that neither watts or terrell are ever going to contribure (none of us know one way or the other on shanny's mindset with these two), then i agree we take holmes.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                              You are crazy. Drew Brees will not generate anywhere near the excitement that Reggie Bush would. he is instant explosion. And in NO he could come in and play the slot receiver and RB 10-15 plays a game. I don't think anybody wants this guys carrying the ball 30 times a game. They want to get him in space. He would make the Saints offense flat out scary.

but I think he could have a similary impact on the Texans if they invest in OL with other picks and in FA. He would open the field up for that team. Andre Johnson would become the WR everyone knows he can. Nobody could focus on him anymore.

duece mccallister is one of the best backs in football. he can handle 25+ carries a game, and has great hands out of the backfield. adding bush, while it might generate some headlines, would only take touches away from duece. i just dont think when you are drafting in the #2 spot you address the one position of strength on your team.

adding bush to a backfield that already contains duece and bennett is not going to benefit the offense as much as davis would imo. compare the benefit of bush on top of an already good backfield to the benefit of davis over the saints current TE. and then consider how often brees looked to gates in san diego. but of course im guessing just like you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X