The QB everyone keeps forgetting about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The QB everyone keeps forgetting about

...including prettymuch all of the major "draft" sites.

Part of my self-described job here is to keep people aware of some of the players that nobody is talking about. I brought up this guy a couple months ago, as he was dissed out of a combine appearance.

Brett Elliot, QB, Linfield College

Below is a good feature on him. Why he is nowhere to be seen on any draft sites is beyond me.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9258752/1

Little-school QB with huge numbers deserved combine spot

Clark Judge Feb. 22, 2006
    By Clark Judge
    CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Now there's another quarterback who won't throw at this weekend's NFL scouting combine, and I'm sorry, this time it's just plain wrong.

I'm not talking about Vince Young or Matt Leinart. I'm talking about Brett Elliott, who won't throw because he can't. He wasn't among the 330 draft-eligible players invited to the annual event in a decision agent Steve Baker termed "ridiculous."

I'd have to agree.

OK, so Elliott played at tiny Linfield College in McMinnville, Ore., a Division III school with an enrollment of 1,600 and an average class size of 17. That's not the point. The guy broke nearly every record imaginable, starting with 110 touchdown passes in two seasons -- including 61 in 2004 when the Wildcats won the Division III national championship.

And that's just the beginning, folks.

He set 31 school records. He threw for four touchdowns 15 times. He threw for seven TDs twice. He was 23-1. He passed for a Division III-record 4,595 yards in his first season. He passed for 300 yards in nine of 11 games in his second, including 528 yards in his final performance. He finished with an NCAA-best 68.1 career completion percentage and was a two-time first-team All-American.

"Good receivers," he said when asked to explain his success, "and a coach who liked to attack."

Maybe. But you don't put up numbers like that without talent, and Brett Elliott has so much that he once played ahead of Alex Smith at the University of Utah. In fact, Smith took over as the Utes' starter only after Elliott bowed out with a broken left wrist in a September 2003 loss to Texas A&M.

Before sitting down, Elliott was 4-4 as a starter and had a 440-yard performance against New Mexico, throwing four touchdown passes.

Smith went on to win 21 of 22 starts in his two seasons at Utah and became the first pick in last year's NFL draft. Elliott, meanwhile, left the university and returned to his home state of Oregon after weighing an offer to enroll at Wagner College on Staten Island.

"I don't think there's much difference between 1-AA and Division III," he said. "I really wanted to come home, and it worked out pretty well. In fact, it was one of the best decisions I ever made."

He talked about having his family there. He talked about having his friends, too. But then look what happened on the football field.

It wasn't just that Brett Elliott was starting again; he was tearing up Division III football, throwing for 12 more touchdowns than the Colts' Peyton Manning in the same year Manning passed for an NFL-record 49. Elliott also won a national championship, and, one year later, was honored with the Gagliardi Trophy and Melberger Award, each given to the top Division III football player.

That's not to equate Elliott with Manning. What it is meant to illustrate is how rare Elliott's achievements are ... and I don't care what level you're talking about. The guy didn't just produce; he produced in tsunami-like waves, overwhelming opponents with such pinpoint passing that Linfield averaged -- averaged -- 50 points a game in 2004 and 48 a season later.

In one game last November, fifth-ranked Occidental dropped almost all of its defenders into coverage to combat the Wildcats' high-powered spread offense. Elliott responded by throwing for a school-record 535 yards and seven TDs in a 63-21 victory.

Performances like that launched a grass-roots movement pushing Elliott for the Heisman Trophy on a web site entitled VoteforHeisman.com. At one point last year, he was ahead of USC's Leinart in online voting, and thank goodness someone noticed. The Hula Bowl extended Elliott an invitation to its January all-star game, and Elliott responded with -- what else? -- the winning touchdown pass.

"Playing in a Division III program is probably the reason I didn't get invited (to the combine)," said Elliott, "but I think I proved at (the Hula Bowl) I can play on the same level as some of the top Division I players."

He did. Now the question: Does he have a future in the pros? I don't know. But I'd sure like to see him measured against Division I quarterbacks this weekend. Unfortunately, that won't happen, and don't ask me why. You'd think that launching 110 touchdowns in two years and winning a national championship would open closed doors.

"It's definitely disappointing," said Elliott. "Steve (Baker) and I thought I'd have a chance with them having about 12 or 13 quarterbacks, but there are 19 and I didn't get invited. It's just one of those things, I guess.''

Maybe. I was talking the other day to an NFL general manager who drew a blank when I brought up Elliott's name. When I started to describe him, he said he'd read about him and was interested in learning more. Well, then, he'll have to wait until next month when Elliott holds two private workouts in Oregon -- the first on March 2 and the second March 15.

"I love to play this game, so I'm not going to let myself get down," said Elliott. "All I want to do is to get into a camp and show them what I can do."

That's not too much to ask.

Now, you can see a running journal by him here:

http://slog.cstv.com/roadtothedraft/

You can tell that he's very intelligent by the way he writes.

And just for kicks, here's his college bio:

http://www.linfield.edu/sports/sport...r.php?sport=fb

He was an average to good QB, while at Utah.

The game against Texas A&m, where the Utes got ripped off, showcased his toughness.
    Originally posted by boltzpride619
    What's so funny is seeing all this mess that the Donks and the fans have placed on themselves. Can you say Raiders.

Originally posted by RunByDesign
    True comedy is observing the Self Imploding Organization that is the Raiders and then asking yourself this question:

What separates them (Raiders) from us (Chargers)

Answer: Championships.

Comment

Haaa!

I'd sign him...JUST TO CUT HIM!

Haaaa!

Cool story though.

Comment

Just not enough QB spots open....he should go to the CFL for a couple of years.

Comment

Working...
        X