No announcement yet.

Trading Lelie and Acquiring Javon Walker would be Disastrous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankly, for such an arrogant man, I surprised once again at how well Shanahan is handling the Lelie situation. Lelie is unhappy in Denver and wants a trade. He stays away from the off-season workout program and his agent is pimping for him to be allowed to talk to other teams.

Shades of Clinton Portis! So, in a echo of how smoothly Shanahan handled the potentially explosive Portis situation, Shanahan says "go ahead and see what interest you can drum up!"

Compare that to the Packers getting into a war with Javon Walker and refusing to trade him last year when he demanded more money! That's the stupid way!

Now, if Lelie can come up with a decent trade offer, Denver gets either another draft pick (yay!) or another player (maybe).

If, as I suspect, other teams have only a limited interest in Lelie and offer a 4th rounder at best for him or a marginal player, the Broncos can come back and say "look you asked to be allowed to gauge the possible interest around the league for a trade and we let you. But, we're not trading our #2 WR who was a former #19 pick of the first round for a 4th rounder! You're not a bust, we don't think you're a bust, so why are they offering such an insulting pick for you? We're not accepting that and you're coming back to Denver where you'll compete with David Terrell and Javon Walker for the #2 or #3 WR spot and may the best man win."

What can Lelie say to that? "I want out and I'm only worth a 4th round pick so let me go"?

That was smart on Shanahan's part. Either way he wins. If someone offers something good (a 3rd round pick at least) for Lelie, then great. If not, he's tried to accomodate Lelie and how can Lelie complain about that?
    sigpic

Comment

Rod Smith a question mark

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
      Right now there is ALOT of uncertainty at the reciever position. By adding Javon Walker at the ultimate expense of Ashley Lelie would be a huge mistake by the front office. HUGE. Javon Walker is only beneficial to us if Ashley is still on the roster. If he is not we are right back to square one or worse after Rod retires. Trading for Javon does fill some holes for us if he can get back to 04-05 form. But that is not a given. In order to combat ineffectiveness the broncos not only need to Add Javon, they need to keep Lelie and Draft a Wide receiver at 15. That way you they position themselves to be SET at a position they have struggled to find talent at the past Decade.

First Four Picks

15 - Santonio Holmes - WR - Ohio St
      37 - Traded To Green Bay for Javon Walker
      61 - Claude Wroten - DT - LSU
      68 - Pat Watkins - S - Florida State

The Broncos would enter the season with a WR depth Chart looking like this.

Rod Smith, Javon Walker, Ashley Lelie, Santonio Holmes, David Terrell, Darius Watts.

Rod Smith is 36 his production for this season is a question mark.
      Javon Walker is coming off an ACL injury his production for this season is ?
      Ashley Lelie is trying to develop consistency his production is a ?
      Santonio Holmes is a Rookie WR his production for the season is a ?
      David Terrell is a Talented Bust his production for the season is a?
      Darius Watts didnt play at all last year his production is a ?

Acquiring Holmes and Walker, BUT keeping Lelie sets us up for the future as well as makes up for any misteps that the recievers we have now during the season. Nothing is guranteed from our Wideouts. Rod could fall off the map. Ashley could get 1500 yards. the future definately looks brighter under this scenario. Santonio plays special teams and waits a year for Rods departure.

Also keep in mind. Mike Shannahan has been DYING to be able to get in 3 wideout sets and run the ball. Clinton Portis wasnt very efficient at this and the last couple of years we havent had viable personell. Tatum Bell however excells at running the ball without a fullback. With this group of recievers Mikes mind can run free. Dont let go of Ashley just yet.
      Rod Smith a question mark. Never question Rod. He stays in great shape and will be with the Broncos for at least another 3 years. This man has desire and next season you can count on #80 having another great year, period.

Comment

If Ashley has got his panties in a bunch about the Broncos talking to other wide receivers, I say goodbye.

And considering Santonio Holmes, Sinorice Moss, Jason Avant, Derek Hagan... Whoever you fancy... Will probably still be available at 37. Then I would rather see them go after a player like DeAngelo Williams with the 15th.
        God Bless D. Williams and D. Nash. May their family and friends find peace in knowing that they were both truly loved by all. And they shall never be forgotten.

Comment

Someone needs to seriously sell me on Walker.

He's a good wr.

Is he great? No.

Is he a gamebreaking? Not that I see.

Is he a selfish "me-guy"? yes.

Is he coming off a major injury? yes.

Is his future ability in an uncertain state right now? yes.

Is Walker going to demand a huge contract? yes.

Do you people even realize how many average wr's Brett Favre has turned "great" by statistical standards in that offense?

Javon Walker isn't going to carry this offense like people thought Lelie would.

Walker didn't face double teams at all in Green Bay like Lelie did here, as far as S help goes.

IMHO, someone is going to grossly overpay for Javon Walker, and i will be devastaed if it's Denver.
          Last edited by silkamilkamonic; 04-22-2006, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I agree with others who have said not enough passes to go around with 4 possible #1 recievers in Roddy, Javon Walker, Lelie, and Holmes/Jackson. Another thing to think about how often do we ever use a 3 or 4 reciever set. We always have tight end and dual back set. That leaves only two recievers. Another key is blocking, with the amount of runnign we do, we need good blocking WR's like Rod Smith is good at blocking. Is Walker? Is Jackson/Holmes?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBash24
              I agree with others who have said not enough passes to go around with 4 possible #1 recievers in Roddy, Javon Walker, Lelie, and Holmes/Jackson. Another thing to think about how often do we ever use a 3 or 4 reciever set. We always have tight end and dual back set. That leaves only two recievers. Another key is blocking, with the amount of runnign we do, we need good blocking WR's like Rod Smith is good at blocking. Is Walker? Is Jackson/Holmes?

Ummm If we trade for walker I can gaurentee you that we dont blow our first rounder on a wr so that would put us down to three and they are prolly gonna cut ties with lelie if they can get a third rounder for him bringing us back to having Javon and Rod. This all of course is pending us swinging a deal for Javon which I think there is a really good chance of happeneing.
              sigpic

Thanks to dbfan2007 for sig

Comment

Originally posted by 24TheCHAMP24
                Ummm If we trade for walker I can gaurentee you that we dont blow our first rounder on a wr so that would put us down to three and they are prolly gonna cut ties with lelie if they can get a third rounder for him bringing us back to having Javon and Rod. This all of course is pending us swinging a deal for Javon which I think there is a really good chance of happeneing.

how can u guarantee that....i mean u can admit that it would be nice haveing rod, javon, terrel, and chad jackson.....so when rod retires javon, and chad will do the main work......and then chad would still have a year under his belt. And shanahan likes to run the 3 WR set alot....but last year he just didnt have the players to do it alot
                "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
                  And Perry, Santonio Holmes can return punts and Kicks. As a rookie he would play special teams and come in in the event of injury or lackluster play.
                  So you want to entrust our punt return game to a guy who returned 11 punts in 2005 for a 12.8 average? And when he returned punts in 2004 was ranked 45th overall in yards per return?
                  Last edited by Perry1977; 04-22-2006, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos86
                    how can u guarantee that....i mean u can admit that it would be nice haveing rod, javon, terrel, and chad jackson.....so when rod retires javon, and chad will do the main work......and then chad would still have a year under his belt. And shanahan likes to run the 3 WR set alot....but last year he just didnt have the players to do it alot

If we trade for Javon it is most likely going to take the 2nd round pick that we got from the 49ers which is our 2nd pick of the draft. To take a reciever in the first round after making that deal would mean that we would have used our first two picks of the draft on WR. I once again will gaurentee you that we are not going to draft a wr in the first round if we make the trade for javon. If we get javon before the draft then we would have filled our most glaring need on the team and then can sit there and take the best player on the board at 15 rather then reach for a player because of needs. I am not sure on the exact % but I would have to guess the success rate on first round recievers drafted outside the top ten has to be below 50%.
                    sigpic

Thanks to dbfan2007 for sig

Comment

Working...
                    X