wow Deangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broncosfreak_56
    I guess your right, but i stilll want laurance maroney.
    Understood completely, I still want Lendale White, but i wouldn't be upset with Williams or Maroney because all three have the potential to dominate here.

I just went back and watched both videos again and now I know why Williams is so disturbingly familiar - HE LOOKS (RUNS) EXACTLY LIKE PRIEST HOLMES!

We all know Holmes isn't the fastest guy, but Al Wilson said himself that Holmes is "the fastest guy in the NFL with the ball in his hands". Williams has game speed and he can follow blocks and find holes. He sure is exciting to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
      Understood completely, I still want Lendale White, but i wouldn't be upset with Williams or Maroney because all three have the potential to dominate here.

I just went back and watched both videos again and now I know why Williams is so disturbingly familiar - HE LOOKS (RUNS) EXACTLY LIKE PRIEST HOLMES!

We all know Holmes isn't the fastest guy, but Al Wilson said himself that Holmes is "the fastest guy in the NFL with the ball in his hands". Williams has game speed and he can follow blocks and find holes. He sure is exciting to watch!
      Yea, i wouldnt be disappionted with any, and if deangelo is the next priest(holmes), I hope we get him.
      sigpic

Comment

Horsepower...while I see your points, I don't think you've fully looked at this issue.

Let me try something.

Kevin Garnett wants out of Minnesota. Let's just play make believe.

Okay...he has his choice of going to the Lakers or the Cavaliers.

Which team do you think he will go to? The Cavaliers unless the Lakers decide to pay him butt loads of money.

I would guess KG would want a championship and would fit their offensive scheme better than the ball-hogging O of Kobe.

A player is only successful as his scheme. I said Willaims was a good back, but him fitting in with a Bronco's zone scheme is very important.

Why would you take somebody you have to teach something over somebody who already knows it. Maroney and Williams are equal in talent, just different in style.

I just think Maroney adds more VERSATILITY to the Bronco's backfield. He can grind...he can dash...he has great vision. I don't know if Williams can grind. His instinct is to run away from people. LIKE I SAID...in the NFL...that won't happen as much unless the Defense is tired.

Nobody is tearing down Williams. I just think he is overrated. I think people are putting too hype on him when there's other players just as good as him.

No...it seems that the "Anything But a Receiver in the First Round Coalition" is becoming all hypocrites.

You don't want me bashing or analyzing running backs, but you chose to have this aversion to drafting wide receivers who are more talented than backs in this draft .

How is that for ignorance or hypocrisy?
        Last edited by ElwaystillKing; 04-22-2006, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Good Rbs

This statement: "His instinct is to run away from people." was used to degrade an RB??? What is he suppose to do, run at tacklers on purpose? I've read all the back-and-forth discussion and see alot of biased claims. Either Williams or Maroney would be great for the Bronco running game. I'm not a fan of White.

This statement: "aversion to drafting wide receivers who are more talented than backs in this draft ." makes little sense, since it is a given that this particular draft is weak in WR quality. Whereas, the RBs in this draft offer a variety of speed and size.

I can accept an RB at #15 much more readily than a WR at the same position. I like the trades to set up the draft to get four players on day 1. It should be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ElwaystillKing
            Horsepower...while I see your points, I don't think you've fully looked at this issue.

Let me try something.

Which team do you think he will go to? The Cavaliers unless the Lakers decide to pay him butt loads of money.

I would guess KG would want a championship and would fit their offensive scheme better than the ball-hogging O of Kobe.

A player is only successful as his scheme. I said Willaims was a good back, but him fitting in with a Bronco's zone scheme is very important.

Why would you take somebody you have to teach something over somebody who already knows it. Maroney and Williams are equal in talent, just different in style.

I just think Maroney adds more VERSATILITY to the Bronco's backfield. He can grind...he can dash...he has great vision. I don't know if Williams can grind. His instinct is to run away from people. LIKE I SAID...in the NFL...that won't happen as much unless the Defense is tired.

Nobody is tearing down Williams. I just think he is overrated. I think people are putting too hype on him when there's other players just as good as him.

No...it seems that the "Anything But a Receiver in the First Round Coalition" is becoming all hypocrites.

You don't want me bashing or analyzing running backs, but you chose to have this aversion to drafting wide receivers who are more talented than backs in this draft .

First of all, your basketball analogy really isn't relevant because rookies don't get to choose who drafts them or into what system.

Okay, on to football:

You think Williams is overrated. I'm cool with that. I'm only trying to point out to the Maroney crowd that Williams isn't a "bad back".

I haven't seen Maroney do anything to make me think he's a better prospect than Williams. He's a little taller (which is actually a downside) and about 5 lbs heavier. He's not any more a power back than Williams is. Both can effectively run between the tackles but if you watch both videos they both attempt to bounce outside at first opportunity. Maroney really isn't any faster either. I'm not at all concerned with .03 sec of perceived 40 time.

Of the two, I think Williams has more bang for the buck. He has experience and leadership. He is coachable and a team player. He could've come out last year and been a first rounder but he chose to finish school. He was a difference maker in the senior bowl and showed that he was the real deal playing against the best seniors in the country. Where was Maroney?

Like I said, I'm not anti-Maroney I actually hope we draft "That man-boob having slob" White , but IMO he's third behind Williams and White.

On to the ABWRFRC:

IMO, it would be a bad idea to spend a first round pick on a WR. I'm not against drafting a WR, on the contrary I'm pushing Brandon Marshall from UCF and would be happy to get Stovall or Hagan - just not in the first round! This is nothing personal against Jackson, Holmes, or anyone else.

I realize (like most of the posters here) that most WRs take 2-3 yrs at least to really come into their own. Guys like Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Clayton and Roy Williams are rare and the norm are guys like Charles Rodgers, Ashley Lelie, Donte Stallworth, Michael Jenkins, Troy Williamson, etc, etc, etc who don't just come out and dominate right away.

I think we need veteran WR help now (Javon Walker). Prospects are great but WRs are some of the most risky draft picks (high bust factor) out there. I realize Jackson and Holmes and even Moss are decent prospects, but I don't think that they'll make an instant impact on our team this year. At 13-3 we don't need Rod's replacement, we just need to get the poor guy some help - that can help RIGHT NOW!

Comment

Nobody is degrading Williams. That's his style of football. I'm just saying...when there's no hole...what will he do?

Will he run back across the field and try to get into open field or will he pound through the line for what yardage he can get.

Goal line situations were a weakness last year. I agree that Williams and Maroney are both on the same talent plateau. I'm just saying I prefer Maroney...once again...and NOBODY seems to want to argue this...

HE ADDS VERSATILITY TO THE BRONCOS BACKFIELD!

Everything that Williams does, Bell already does. He's speedy and likes to avoid contact if he can. That's good, but that's the reason Bell is not the feature back here. Granted Williams is REALLY patient. I saw his biggest play of glory against UTEP.

But why take Williams when you can get Maroney who can fill out more, block better for Jake, pound the ball in on goal line situations, and also get to the outside.

He fits that mold of what the Broncos need. Williams is a good player, but can he get used to get hit hard and blocking huge guards and blitzing corners with his small stature. If he gets bigger...he'll turn into White. We don't want that do we?

I understand your reasoning for the wide receiver point. But like I said...you should not pass on talent.

The average life of a running back is 3-5 years...a WR will be maturing about that time like you said. WR can go for 7+ years.

Chad Jackson and Holmes have excellent skills and talents .YOU DON'T PASS ON TALENT unless you have an IMMEDIATE NEED elsewhere.

We need a TE, but VD will be gone. We need some help stopping the run, but nobody worth the salt will be there at 15.

Therefore, what's a greater need? WR or RB? We have two backs already. We have 4 experienced WRs already. It's the same situation...with the same arguments.

Your group is pointless than. You argue for a running back that is not really a NEED, but you argue against a WR which is on the same level of need/want as a running back.

You're not making any sense in that respect.
              Last edited by ElwaystillKing; 04-22-2006, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Let me try something.

Look, I understand your viewpoint on DeAngelo Williams as a pro prospect in general, and I won't argue with it though I disagree.

But since when has running in a zone blocking scheme in college been a pre-requisite for Denver Bronco running backs? None of our 1,000 yard rushers dating back to Terrell Davis were in zone blocking schemes. Who's to say that a good running back who didn't play behind zone blocking can't come here and become spectacular as a result? You don't know how well a running back will do in this scheme until they've tried. So we basically know what Maroney will do. But we don't know how Williams will do in it. Based on Williams' overall running skills, cutback ability, and field vision, I'd say Williams has a higher ceiling of potential in Denver's zone blocking scheme than Maroney.
                A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

Pyscho. Williams isn't the second coming of Barry. He's playing in a weak conference and of course, he's going to do well in Senior Bowl where he has the most talented O-Line and threats at Wide Receiver playing against college players.

Is the NFL not faster than College football?

Do the players not hit harder?

Have the Broncos ever had a running back that didn't want to get hit until now?

Williams won't be as dominanting in the NFL. I see what he's done in college and to be honest, those stats are impressive. However, look at where he played. Look at who he played.

One of Maroney's best games came against OHIO STATE! William's glory play came against UTEP.

Now call me stupid, but if UTEP and Ohio State play...who do you think wins that match up?

That being said, I don't think Maroney or Williams should be picked at 15. I think we should have traded our #15 instead of the #22.

Unless Shanahan has some trade plans, this number 15 pick isn't going to land us an immediate impact player.

Sorry ...Williams is not worth the #15 pick especially with all the past injuries. His history screams STAY AWAY FROM ME, but people want to just get him because he's talented. So is Maroney. DON'T WASTE BIG TIME money on someone who has a history of getting injured.

That's bad news and bad for business. Maybe the difference is, I think more like an owner than a coach. I want good players at an acceptable price.

Williams just isn't worth the #15.

Like I said...if you don't want to settle with a back. Try to trade our number #15 this year for another first rounder next year.

Peterson should be coming then...two #1 round drafts picks and a disgruntled Lelie should appeal to the Packers next year after they go through a horrible season!!!
                  Last edited by ElwaystillKing; 04-22-2006, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Of the two, I think Williams has more bang for the buck. He has experience and leadership. He is coachable and a team player. He could've come out last year and been a first rounder but he chose to finish school. He was a difference maker in the senior bowl and showed that he was the real deal playing against the best seniors in the country. Where was Maroney?
                    Maroney is or was a Junior. I guess that explains why he wasn't there.

Comment

Pyscho. Williams isn't the second coming of Barry. He's playing in a weak conference and of course, he's going to do well in Senior Bowl where he has the most talented O-Line and threats at Wide Receiver playing against college players.

Williams also dominated RB vs. LB drills at the Senior Bowl, as well as scrimmages where the defense knew he was getting the ball. That goes along with playing well in the game. So you can't really spin the Senior Bowl against him no matter how hard you try.

Louisville was in C-USA in 2004, the year they went 11-1 and were ranked in the top 10 for the whole second half of the season. They had a top notch defense with a hard-nosed front seven to go along with their dynamic offense. DeAngelo tore them up with 26 carries for 200 yards, 7.7 average, and a very nice 31 yard TD. Again this was behind an average o-line against a top defense. And this was when he was just a junior.

Here's another example of a game against top competition. In 2003, Ole Miss was ranked in the top 20. Williams was a sophomore. Williams rushed for 135 yards and 2 TDs.

Williams was as dominant a college football player as there ever was, no matter whom he was playing against.

Is the NFL not faster than College football?

Did Maroney and Williams both not run high-4.4 40s? If you're insinuating that Williams is too slow for the NFL, than you'd be doing the same for Maroney as well as most running backs that are already in the NFL.

Do the players not hit harder?

Sure, but I don't see how that affects whether one will succeed more than the other. If you're making some insinuation about injury, just know that many so-called injury-damaged college players have had essentially injury-free careers. On the other hand, many college players who were never hurt have torn ACLs. I'd say Laurence Maroney, with his thin frame, is just as likely to get hurt as Williams. In other words, both will be just fine barring any freak accidents which can happen to anyone.

Have the Broncos ever had a running back that didn't want to get hit until now?

Yeah, all of them. The first instinct of any running back, whether it's T.J. Duckett or Tatum Bell, is to avoid contact. Because if you get hit and fall down, then the play is over. That's not difficult to understand, is it? You just lost major credibility with me with that question.

Williams won't be as dominanting in the NFL. I see what he's done in college and to be honest, those stats are impressive. However, look at where he played. Look at who he played.

I did.

One of Maroney's best games came against OHIO STATE! William's glory play came against UTEP.

That was one of many glory plays. Williams had a lot of long TDs over the course of his college career. One of Williams' best games was the aforementioned Louisville game in 2004.

Now call me stupid, but if UTEP and Ohio State play...who do you think wins that match up?

You're stupid... just kidding. But seriously, 2004 Louisville vs. 2005 Ohio State. That would be one hell of a bowl game. Louisville was snubbed from the BCS that year.

That being said, I don't think Maroney or Williams should be picked at 15. I think we should have traded our #15 instead of the #22.

Unless Shanahan has some trade plans, this number 15 pick isn't going to land us an immediate impact player.

I'm pretty sure Shanahan is still targeting Chad Jackson. I don't know if you're for him or against him, but that's just the most likely scenario. Jackson wouldn't still be there at #22, whereas Williams, Maroney, and White still would. So I'm guessing the team likes Jackson enough to hold on to #15, but they don't like the running backs enough to hold on to #22.

Sorry ...Williams is not worth the #15 pick especially with all the past injuries. His history screams STAY AWAY FROM ME, but people want to just get him because he's talented. So is Maroney. DON'T WASTE BIG TIME money on someone who has a history of getting injured.

Injury prone is a phrase that gets thrown around a lot, and with a lot of ignorance. DeAngelo Williams isn't injury prone. He had a few freak accidents that happened completely by chance. He also showed the ability to fully recover quickly from many of these injuries. In reality, DeAngelo Williams is no more injury prone than any other running back in the draft.

That's bad news and bad for business. Maybe the difference is, I think more like an owner than a coach. I want good players at an acceptable price.

Maybe that is the difference. I just kind of have a thing for winning.

Williams just isn't worth the #15.

I know, it's like robbery. Had Arizona not signed Edgerrin James, it's practically a given that they would've taken Williams at #10. At worst, Williams would've fallen to Baltimore at #13, but Baltimore somehow re-signed Lewis and signed Anderson. Now thanks to them, and Minnesota signing Chester Taylor, no team in the top 20 really needs a back except for us. How convenient!

Like I said...if you don't want to settle with a back. Try to trade our number #15 this year for another first rounder next year.

Peterson should be coming then...two #1 round drafts picks and a disgruntled Lelie should appeal to the Packers next year after they go through a horrible season!!!

I think the Packers are smart enough not to trade their first rounder next year. I'm sure even they know they'll suck.
                      My responses are in bold.
                      A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

All i saw on that video was alot of horrible tackling and some good blocking.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Prodigal19
                          All i saw on that video was alot of horrible tackling and some good blocking.
                          Oh, come off it...

His patience and field-vision is what got him that touchdown.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

You see a guy who looks slow. I see a guy who is patient and waits for blocks to develop. All of those downfield blocks had to run down the play from behind so he slowed up to let the blocks develop. That is the key to being an effective running back.

That run looked EXACTLY like Edgerrin James. How often do you see him out run anyone? You don't. He waits for his blocks to set up then finds daylight.

This is the problem with Tatum Bell. All that speed, no vision or patience. Tatum always just tries to get to top speed ASAP and then dodge guys instead of just following his blockers. Usually, he outruns all his blockers and gets to the second level staring at 4 DBs who just surround him and drag him down.

Watch the play again and see how Wlliams slows up on purpose to wait for his blocks to develop

Exactly. That one block he waited for, from number 11, was a block from his Quarterback . in fact, Barfield was the 3rd QB on the depth chart, a freshman who played only because our first 2 QBs broke their legs. Yeah he was running a little slowly, but thats because he had to wait on his QB to get downfield to block for him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DWHHiJBURSM

you will see a reception i nthe beginning and some broken tackles as well as exceptional speed for a RB
                            Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

Comment

Hey if you guys are having trouble defining what a good stiff arm is let me direct you here:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-8m1...football%20usc

(Yes I'm a Hawaii fan and yes this is old, and don't look at the score! )

Comment

Working...
                              X