Looking to draft Ed Reed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to draft Ed Reed?

I'm sure you're wondering what in the world this thread is about since Ed Reed was drafted several years ago.

Not only was he drafted several years ago, but it's hard to say there is a clear playmaking pure safety in this draft comparable to him.

So I would ask the question, what makes Ed Reed great? To me, INSTINCTS and HARD STUDY. Ed Reed studies film and understands offenses like a QB is forced to. He has taken the theory that a good Safety is the QB of the defense to another level, and Troy Polamalu helped continue that trend last year.

So how do you find Ed Reed? And is there one in this year's draft? Who might be a steal?

There are a few things I look for when looking for a player like that. Work ethic, competitiveness, athleticism, strategic awareness (coach on the field), and instincts. Now, there are a few players who are S/CB combo's who probably carry some of those traits and MAY have the potential to grow into a Reed/Polamalu type contributor.

But I want a steal. I want a player in the mid rounds who can make a difference as a bargain and really emerge. There is one specific player I'm watching with this in mind and you have to go outside the box to really think about it. I like.....

......Michael Robinson, former QB, Penn St.

First, Robinson is very competitive. He is a team leader who is first and foremost a "football player" before he is a QB. Robinson has played the QB position and therefore has had to have been relied upon to study offense and defense. His gamefilm and playbook work ethic is already there. He's sturdily built, very strong for a QB, and has the awareness that is needed with a QB, that is also a huge plus for a instinctive playmaking safety.

Robinson has been talked to by scouts and GM's about being either a WR, RB or a safety. But has said that it has only been one or two that have contacted him about saftey. But if his size among other things is prohibitive of being an NFL quarterback, why not milk his quarterback experience as the QB of the defense. Sure it would take a year or two to really grasp the position and to be groomed into an every down safety. But he is a competitor and I would suggest that he has enough ability that he will make a difference on the field somehow in the NFL.

I believe the Broncos may be one of the teams looking at him as a safety. They were after all the team that tried to convert Jarious Jackson to safety so it is not a foreign concept to them. Shanny tried to convert Deltha O'neal to a WR, and Shanny has been known to do the unorthodox and break the boundaries.

Robinson could be had with a 4th round pick and could have the make up needed to develop into a steal in the mid to latter part of this draft. He's ultra gifted, and he's been trained as a QB.

I am curious if he can translate his QB instincts and film savvy, with his sturdy build, and put it together on defense to be a natural playmaker by using his speed and field awareness. I wouldn't put this on many players in his similar situation, but I think Robinson has the competitive edge and drive necessary to thrive in SOME role in the NFL.

And personally, I would not at all be surprised to see good ol' Shanny take such a chance.

Looking to draft Ed Reed, break him down as a player and scout out as many of his tendencies and intangibles mixed with physical abilities and find the prospect who carries the most of those strengths. Look him in the eye and see if he believes in himself in the same way. Be patient, groom him under a smart instinctive player like John Lynch, and see if you can steal an Ed Reed "type" of player out of the draft.

Without risk, there is no reward. But make sure you calculate your risks and when and how often you can and must take them.

I like it, CP to you.

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
      So how do you find Ed Reed? And is there one in this year's draft? Who might be a steal?

......Michael Robinson, former QB, Penn St.

Robinson could be had with a 4th round pick and could have the make up needed to develop into a steal in the mid to latter part of this draft. He's ultra gifted, and he's been trained as a QB.

Without risk, there is no reward. But make sure you calculate your risks and when and how often you can and must take them.
      Well, since we have 3 #4's, why not?

Pittsburgh is one of the better drafting teams in the NFL. They have a history of picking "football players". Antwan Randall El comes to mind.

I think the 4th round is a good one to take chances like this.
      "I've always thought that Raider fans in Oakland were not so much fans as they were 50,000 people out on a work-release program." - John Elway.

Comment

Working...
      X