Gambling on tremendous talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gambling on tremendous talent

Remember how everybody was saying how high Lendale White would go. It didn't look like Denver would have a shot at him. I imagined how good he would look running behind Denver's line. Everybody wanted him, but not anymore. Now, he seems easily attainable, almost a "reach" at #15 considering his injury, weight.

But remember Sapp and Moss. Both were projected high until they got busted for smoking pot. Both fell far, were picked and made their teams pretty happy.

There is a reason all three of these players were projected so high. They have shown SPECIAL talent. I'm sorry, but no one else Denver has a shot at with the #15 pick seems to have talent like White exhibited in college. That's why he was going to go so high. First, I don't think his weight is an issue. He's a big guy. Jerome Bettis has played large his whole career. The injury was a freak deal. If anything, the fact all his friends in Denver will be bothering him is my biggest concern; but not enough avoid picking a tremendous talent. The draft, as we have seen, is a crapshoot, even in the top picks. If it's largely a gamble anyways, why not take a guy who was previously considered a lottery pick at 15? I tell you, if he drops to a good team like the Steelers, he's gonna rip the AFC apart.

Now I know some hater will say, "Oh, but what about Clarett"? This is true. Some gambles win, some lose. But ALL picks in the draft are gambles. Let's go for the big money and pick Lendale White! I mean, if we aren't ever going to trade up high for a special talent, we'll have to take a chance on someone with "issues". And, I really don't think his issues are serious. At least he doesn't have drug problems! Just a bit of bad fortune on the injury and again, he's a big guy! So he carries a little weight. Good! I'll take a Bus clone any day. White sure gets me more pumped up then anybody else we've been talking about. Lendale, Lendale!
    Last edited by deezan777; 04-22-2006, 12:08 PM.

clarett was a 3rd round comp pck not #15 first round pick. You don't gamble at that pick, when there are better players available. If Denver has their heart set on White trade down and still get him bottom of first round

Comment

Originally posted by TXBroncosFan77
      clarett was a 3rd round comp pck not #15 first round pick. You don't gamble at that pick, when there are better players available. If Denver has their heart set on White trade down and still get him bottom of first round

Who are the better players available? Were any of them considered "better" before White injured his hammy? No they were not.

Comment

White is not what I want at 15, but I can't say I'd be upset because of the immense body of work he's put together at USC. If we're going to reach on someone at 15, might as well be LenDale.

In fact, my prediction is that Shanny WILL draft LenDale White next Saturday at about this time at pick 15. I really think it might happen. And hopefully he turns out as well as Moss and Sapp have after they slipped shortly before the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by deezan777
          Who are the better players available? Were any of them considered "better" before White injured his hammy? No they were not.
          That's true, but my thing is that he will be available in the 20's somewhere. So if the Broncos feel he is their guy, I say they trade back to either the 19th or 20th pick. The trade value would be about a third rounder for the chargers (19th pick) or the cheifs(20th) to move up to the 15th.

I would not be upset at all under that scenario. On the other hand, we may not want to trade with teams in our own division. But you get the idea.
          Last edited by jcrobins; 04-22-2006, 12:55 PM.
          "I've always thought that Raider fans in Oakland were not so much fans as they were 50,000 people out on a work-release program." - John Elway.

Comment

Originally posted by deezan777
            Actually there was one that was close and his name is DeAngelo Williams. He might not have been rated as good, but before the National Championship game he was.

Good points about his playing weight. Before the Rose Bowl I think he weighed 252 lbs or something and at the combine weighed in at around 238 lbs. Then when he weighed in at his Pro Day he was around 244 lbs. So he is still under his playing weight when he had the best game of his career in the Rose Bowl.

The thing that bothers me is that a reporter at his Pro Day said he needed a bra... and frankly that is kid of disturbing.

Hey the guy is a big guy and always has been. He could make people sorry and turn out great or end up on the other side of the spectrum.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.
            Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

Working...
            X