X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lelie Update

49ers | Team rejected trade involving Lelie

Sat, 22 Apr 2006 12:02:42 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers rejected a trade with the Denver Broncos that involved Broncos WR Ashley Lelie. The Broncos were shopping Lelie for a second-round pick. 49ers vice president of player personnel Scot McCloughan said, "He does have some talent. He's more of a vertical guy, outside the numbers, and can stretch the field, but we had some issues with other things. (I'm) not saying he wouldn't fit in, but ... what kind of football player are we going to have when it's said and done?" He said the team would be interested if the Broncos' asking price drops dramatically.
    sigpic

dont we have there second round pick already
    lets go team

Comment

Originally posted by onechance
      dont we have there second round pick already

Yup, they don't even have a second rounder to deal since we already have it. So either this report is completely wrong or it was for a second rounder next year.

Or, I guess, it could have been that we were trying to keep our #22 and package Lelie and a later-round pick for their #37.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
        Yup, they don't even have a second rounder to deal since we already have it. So either this report is completely wrong or it was for a second rounder next year.

Or, I guess, it could have been that we were trying to keep our #22 and package Lelie and a later-round pick for their #37.
        Now I'm suspicious... . Is this a big, late April fools joke on me?

HAHA guys and gals, jokes over, i figured it out, you no longer need to keep this up!

Comment

Originally posted by cinnamunmun
          Now I'm suspicious... . Is this a big, late April fools joke on me?

HAHA guys and gals, jokes over, i figured it out, you no longer need to keep this up!
          Obviously, this would be from BEFORE the Broncos traded their #22 pick to the 49ers for their #38 plus a 3rd rounder (#68).

The 49ers didn't want Lelie, so the Broncos had to trade their 1st round pick. S.F. DID want that!

(See? It's not so hard to figure out now is it?)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
            Obviously, this would be from BEFORE the Broncos traded their #22 pick to the 49ers for their #38 plus a 3rd rounder (#68).

The 49ers didn't want Lelie, so the Broncos had to trade their 1st round pick. S.F. DID want that!

crap. crap, and some more crap.

This is good news for both sides of the ball!

We get to keep Lelie, and you have somehting to bash him about!

I would happily listen to you saying he sucks in return for his permanent stay!

Comment

Well if they aren't interested to trade a 2nd, then I wouldn't bother trading Lelie. he's a good receiver and we would leave a huge hole if we traded him and got nothing back. I think the Broncos should either trade him for Javon, or try to get a middle rd pick in the 2nd.
              Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

You are most likely 100% correct. The info is most likely just coming out now that all of the negotiations are complete. There is a second scenario that could be not being very well, conveyed on the part of bad reporting. It is entirely possible that that trade could have been for the 49ers 2007 2nd round pick as well. Not likely but possible.

Tracker - Bleeding Red and Gold till the day I die.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracker
                  You are most likely 100% correct. The info is most likely just coming out now that all of the negotiations are complete. There is a second scenario that could be not being very well, conveyed on the part of bad reporting. It is entirely possible that that trade could have been for the 49ers 2007 2nd round pick as well. Not likely but possible.
                  Hey, Tracker. What do you think of the trade we just made with you guys? and what do you think/hope the 49ers will do with the pick?
                  Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

I hope no way takes the offer. I want Lelie playing for Denver in 2006-2007 season.
                    Emancipate your mind!
                    The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
                      I hope no way takes the offer. I want Lelie playing for Denver in 2006-2007 season.
                      AMEN to THAT!

but on a different note: if Lelie does stay, how good do you nay-sayers think he will do? This is just meant for fun purposes.

Comment

AMEN to THAT!

but on a different note: if Lelie does stay, how good do you nay-sayers think he will do? This is just meant for fun purposes.
                        Just as good as he was last year...

A marginal blocker, a poor route runner, fast but only catching about a third of the deep balls thrown at him.

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
                          Thats what I am TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977

Lelie was offered before the other trade went down...

I like their asking price though...basically a later first rounder. That's awesome...

Comment

crap. crap, and some more crap.

This is good news for both sides of the ball!

We get to keep Lelie, and you have somehting to bash him about!

I would happily listen to you saying he sucks in return for his permanent stay!
                              I don't think he sucks! I LIKE Lelie! It's the other teams GMs who think he sucks and won't offer anything more than a used condom for him!

Personally, until this latest fiasco when Shanahan gave up on Lelie and went shopping for T.O. and Javon and was about to (apparently) use his #15 pick on a WR, I was holding out hope that Lelie would get his S*** together this year and become the WR we all thought he would be when he was drafted.

I gave up on Lelie being any good when I realized that Shanahan didn't think Lelie was ever going to develop. Shany knows about 1000 times more about Lelie than I do.

In fact I posted this several weeks ago BEFORE the news broke about Lelie being pimped around the league for a 2nd round pick:

I honestly get the feeling that Shanahan doesn't really want Lelie around. That simple. If this trade comes down that will really be the reason.

I remember last season watching the Mike Shanahan show and he was breaking down a pass play for a TD to Rod Smith. It was a double go route with Rod breaking down the left side and Ashlie breaking straight down the right.

About 15 yards down the field both receivers are supposed to simultaneously fake like it's a crossing pattern and get the DB to bite on the fake, then take off straight donwfield.

Rod made a move to sell the fake and he was open for about 3 yards when he made the catch.

Lelie, despite having better speed was too quick with his fake and the DB never bought it. He stayed stride for stride with Lelie all the way, totally blanketing him.

Shanahan's comment stuck with me because he seemed so disappointed in Lelie. "That's the difference between a veteran WR who can do what Rod can do" he said.

He didn't call Lelie out or anything, but he was clearly comparing the route Rod ran with the one Lelie ran and the comparison was not favorable to Lelie. I can imagine a lot of stuff going on in Shanahan's mind as he watches the video tape of Lelie and Rod. And the conclusion might be that Lelie will just never learn to be a #1 WR, selling the fake, finding the exact right place on the field to get open. Doing all the little things that a veteran professional like Rod just does on every play.

I could be imagining things because he never said anything directly. But, if this trade comes off I think it will prove I was right. He just doesn't think Lelie has learned his profession in the way he should.

Perhaps he's hoping Lelie will learn, but his patience may simply have worn out after this past season.

Some guys just never really adjust to become complete receivers in the NFL.

When Gary Kubiac left town Lelie may have lost a key defender. If Kubiac believed in Lelie and Shanahan didn't that could explain what's happening.
                              Turns out I CAN read between the lines! Shanny was being very subtle and didn't rip Lelie publicly while reviewing the video tape, but I just got the feeling from the way he contrasted Rod's performance with Lelie's that he was disappointed in Lelie.

Well, that show was about the middle of last season, and clearly I was right! He just gave up on Lelie and is looking for his replacement.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X