Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Broncos should have added a wide receiver"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Broncos should have added a wide receiver"

    Thursday, April 20, 2006
    Curtis, McDonald worth pursuing

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By KC Joyner
    ESPN Insider

    The 2006 restricted free-agent signing period ends Friday, and the Denver Broncos have been remarkably quiet.
    The Broncos have tried repeatedly over the past couple of years to fill their No. 3 wide receiver role but haven't had much luck. Denver experimented with veterans (Jerry Rice and David Terrell) and younger players (Darius Watts, Todd Devoe and Charlie Adams), but none of these receivers was able to give the Broncos a consistent alternative to Rod Smith and Ashley Lelie.

    The Broncos certainly could use a veteran wideout to provide some immediate help. Normally, they would have looked to the unrestricted free-agent pool, but there simply weren't many good receivers available. The only viable options have already signed with new teams.

    Since the unrestricted pool was so limited, it would have made sense for the Broncos to give an offer sheet to a restricted free agent. Two players were worthy of consideration -- Kevin Curtis and Shaun McDonald.

    Here are Curtis' 2005 numbers:

    Depth Attempts Comp Yards TD INT Pen Yds/Att
    Short 45 39 323 1 1 0 7.2
    Medium 26 16 245 1 3 0 9.4
    Deep 26 5 233 4 3 83 12.2
    Total 97 60 801 6 7 83 9.1

    Curtis' metrics show he would have been a perfect fit for the Broncos. His short-pass completion percentage was extremely good. His yards per attempt at the medium level were also solid.

    Curtis' deep-pass yards per attempt were also adequate. His deep-pass completion percentage was unacceptable, but a closer look reveals why.

    Curtis had to fill in as a starter when the Rams had injuries to both Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, so he was used on deep patterns more often than usual. That wouldn't be a problem for the Broncos, however, as they have Ashley Lelie as a vertical threat and wouldn't need Curtis to fill that role.

    Signing Curtis would have had its downside. While he is entering only his fourth year in the league, he will be 28 next season. In addition, Curtis' compensation value was a first-round draft pick. The Broncos were likely reluctant to surrender a first-round pick for a player who may have given them only a couple of years of production before slowing down.

    A more viable option would have been his teammate with the Rams, McDonald. Here are McDonald's 2005 metrics:

    Depth Att Comp Yds TD INT Pen Yds/Att
    Short 51 35 320 0 0 0 6.3
    Medium 13 9 151 0 1 0 11.6
    Deep 5 2 52 0 2 0 10.4
    Total 69 46 523 0 3 0 7.6

    McDonald's numbers weren't quite as impressive. His short yards per attempt were adequate, but his completion percentage was solid. His combined completion percentage on medium and deep passes (61 percent) shows he has vertical capabilities, even if his deep yards per attempt was a bit low.

    McDonald also has two other benefits in relation to Curtis. He will be 25 next season and would cost the Broncos only a fourth-round draft pick as compensation.

    Generally, using draft picks on free agents isn't the best long-term approach. However, the Broncos' lack of receiving depth isn't just a long-term problem. It is a potentially serious short-term problem.

    Rod Smith will be 36 this season and Ashley Lelie is starting to make noise about wanting a trade. If Smith were to suddenly slow down, and Lelie's off-field issues were to affect his already inconsistent play, the Broncos would be left with Devoe, Adams, Terrell and Watts to fill out their receiving corps.

    Coach Mike Shanahan realizes the problem and has been proactive in trying to find a solution. The Broncos are rumored to be trying to trade for Green Bay's Javon Walker and will almost certainly pick up a wide receiver in the first round of the draft.

    Unfortunately, the Packers don't seem interested in dealing Walker, and rookie wide receivers often don't provide immediate help.

    I simply cannot understand why the Broncos didn't sign McDonald to an offer sheet. There is no guarantee they would have been able to acquire McDonald, as the Rams might have opted to match Denver's offer, but Shanahan could have made an effort to acquire him.

    KC Joyner, aka The Football Scientist, is a regular contributor to ESPN Insider. He has a Web site at http://thefootballscientist.com.
    Well, had Denver signed Curtis to an offer sheet, St. Louis would've matched it within a matter of seconds. He's viewed as the successor to Isacc Bruce, and he's a beast in three receiver sets.

    McDonald, on the other hand probably would've been a little easier to acquire. He's the 4th receiver, but he possesses many of the same traits that Curtis does. Small stature, speed, run after the catch, etc.
    Last edited by WABronco; 04-23-2006, 09:12 AM.

  • #2
    curtis is not as good as a any of the 1st round WR we could have. Plus he is long in the tooth.
    http://216.58.161.132/forums/showthread.php?p=497087#post497087

    Above I will list all my predictions for the 2005 season.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rugbythug
      curtis is not as good as a any of the 1st round WR we could have. Plus he is long in the tooth.
      Curtis is 28, but he also isn't worth that 1st round offer sheet either. St. Louis still would've matched the offer regardless...

      Comment


      • #4
        I imagine that Shanahan is still hoping to land Javon Walker.

        I don't know where the "Packers have shown signs" of trading Walker comes from. The reports have been that the Packers have been shopping him around the league and demanding a high draft pick in return.

        For a team that won 4 games last year, that's smart thinking. Perhaps they think they can force him to return, but the recent history of players teams have tried that approach on (T.O., John Abraham) isn't very good.

        Probably, Walker would at the very least sit out the pre-season, which really limits how effective he'd be anyway. If he comes in and has a bad attitude, they still have to pay him. If he carries through on his threat to retire, then they've lost a high 2nd round pick and get nothing for him at all!

        Worst case scenario: He reports for the last 6 games of the season, forfeits all the rest of his salary. He'd still qualify as a FA next season if he did that and the Packers would have to cut him or pay him for showing up in November!

        It might hurt his chances as a FA, but they'd be paying millions of dollars and locking up a roster spot for a guy who really isn't contributing the way he's capable of.

        Bottom line, it's just plain stupid to try and force a player to stay with the team.

        Notice that you don't see Shanahan doing that! He says to Lelie "go ahead and find a trade if you don't want to be here!"

        I can't remember an instance where the Broncos have tried this nonsense of forcing a player who didn't want to be here to paly for them!

        Instead, Shanahan shipped Clinton Portis out when he started demanding a trade.

        Portis later thanked Shanahan for that. That's one reason Shanahan is a superior coach. He only lets guys play for his team who actually WANT to be here and are 100% committed to playing all out.

        That's Tommy Thompson's problem. He just doesn't seem to get that!
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Agreed Cugel. It's just a big misinformation fest!

          Comment


          • #6
            no way in hell you give up a 1st for 28 year old curtis, but i would have loved to see us sign macdonald to an offer sheet-- WA, i believe we've talked about them before. . .

            i really think the walker trade has a decent chance of happening-- difficult to say for sure of course, but so much of what we read is just PR and posturing. . . always a little tough to seperate that from the truth this time of year. . . if we offer something like the #37 pick and GB turns it down to keep a player who is absolutely guaranteed to be gone after this coming year in a best case scenario anyways, then they are just monumentally stupid!! talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. . . .

            Officially Objectified by the GPA

            rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cugel
              I imagine that Shanahan is still hoping to land Javon Walker.

              I don't know where the "Packers have shown signs" of trading Walker comes from. The reports have been that the Packers have been shopping him around the league and demanding a high draft pick in return.

              For a team that won 4 games last year, that's smart thinking. Perhaps they think they can force him to return, but the recent history of players teams have tried that approach on (T.O., John Abraham) isn't very good.

              Probably, Walker would at the very least sit out the pre-season, which really limits how effective he'd be anyway. If he comes in and has a bad attitude, they still have to pay him. If he carries through on his threat to retire, then they've lost a high 2nd round pick and get nothing for him at all!

              Worst case scenario: He reports for the last 6 games of the season, forfeits all the rest of his salary. He'd still qualify as a FA next season if he did that and the Packers would have to cut him or pay him for showing up in November!

              It might hurt his chances as a FA, but they'd be paying millions of dollars and locking up a roster spot for a guy who really isn't contributing the way he's capable of.

              Bottom line, it's just plain stupid to try and force a player to stay with the team.

              Notice that you don't see Shanahan doing that! He says to Lelie "go ahead and find a trade if you don't want to be here!"

              I can't remember an instance where the Broncos have tried this nonsense of forcing a player who didn't want to be here to paly for them!

              Instead, Shanahan shipped Clinton Portis out when he started demanding a trade.

              Portis later thanked Shanahan for that. That's one reason Shanahan is a superior coach. He only lets guys play for his team who actually WANT to be here and are 100% committed to playing all out.

              That's Tommy Thompson's problem. He just doesn't seem to get that!
              I agree 100%... Also add in Reuben Droughns for players who wanted out of Denver and got their wish.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                I am not going to bother even talking about the Curtis thing, a 1st rder for a guy who had 800 yrds, yh sure. On to McDonald, is he really any better than Terrell? I mean Terell in 2004 (inactive last yr--learning broncos offense), had 800yrds and i believe 5-6 tds. I am fine with Terrell at #3.

                Hopefully this is all moot, and Javon becomes a bronco. And if we dont get fair value for Lelie (at least a 3rd rd pick), then we keep him, and he will play hard bc he is in a contract yr. Javon as #1, Rod at #2, Lelie at #3, now that is beautiful.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cugel
                  I imagine that Shanahan is still hoping to land Javon Walker.

                  I don't know where the "Packers have shown signs" of trading Walker comes from. The reports have been that the Packers have been shopping him around the league and demanding a high draft pick in return.

                  For a team that won 4 games last year, that's smart thinking. Perhaps they think they can force him to return, but the recent history of players teams have tried that approach on (T.O., John Abraham) isn't very good.

                  Probably, Walker would at the very least sit out the pre-season, which really limits how effective he'd be anyway. If he comes in and has a bad attitude, they still have to pay him. If he carries through on his threat to retire, then they've lost a high 2nd round pick and get nothing for him at all!

                  Worst case scenario: He reports for the last 6 games of the season, forfeits all the rest of his salary. He'd still qualify as a FA next season if he did that and the Packers would have to cut him or pay him for showing up in November!

                  It might hurt his chances as a FA, but they'd be paying millions of dollars and locking up a roster spot for a guy who really isn't contributing the way he's capable of.

                  Bottom line, it's just plain stupid to try and force a player to stay with the team.

                  Notice that you don't see Shanahan doing that! He says to Lelie "go ahead and find a trade if you don't want to be here!"

                  I can't remember an instance where the Broncos have tried this nonsense of forcing a player who didn't want to be here to paly for them!

                  Instead, Shanahan shipped Clinton Portis out when he started demanding a trade.

                  Portis later thanked Shanahan for that. That's one reason Shanahan is a superior coach. He only lets guys play for his team who actually WANT to be here and are 100% committed to playing all out.

                  That's Tommy Thompson's problem. He just doesn't seem to get that!
                  Just want to point out it's Ted Thompson. Tommy was the governer and is now the Secretary for health and human services. Ted is the Packers GM, if you are going to claim you know better than the guy at least get his name right.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I remember seeing McDonald as a RFA, but then I thought, "Is he really that much better than D. Terrell, D. Watts, or C. Adams?" I mean, he was the 4th reciever, with okay stats. I don't think it would be worth a 4th rounder to bring in someone who is about on par (maybe a little better) than the previous three. It just doesn't make sense to bring in another average reciever. Either you bring in someone clearly much better than everyone on the roster (like Javon Walker), or you just look to the draft and can probably find the same value and maybe get a gem.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The hell with it... Get Javon, draft Jeremy Bloom, and call it a day.

                      That would be beast as hell.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                        The hell with it... Get Javon, draft Jeremy Bloom, and call it a day.

                        That would be beast as hell.

                        sounds good to me!




                        give shanny a call!
                        Officially Objectified by the GPA

                        rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X