My Dream Mock-One Week Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dream Mock-One Week Out

-15 traded to NY for picks 25 and 56...(only because it was my original scenario...any trade down to spots 23-26 are good with me with either LenDale or DeAngleo as the target)

25. LenDale White, RB, USC
    -Shanahan maxes out the value at pick 25 by stealing a top 10 talent. Huge back with Bettis-like feet, he'd be a boon for Denver in short yardage situations.

37. Traded for Javon Walker--or--Demetrius Williams, WR, Oregon
    -Either way, Shanny gets a top flight receiver. Javon is a known quantity, albeit coming off a severe injury. Demetrius is very similar to Ashley Lelie in terms of speed and build, but he catches the ball better and more naturally than Ash does IMO. Demetrius also has shown some fire and toughness, as well as the ability to rack up some YAC.

56. Joe Klopfenstein, TE, Colorado
    -Starting caliber comes as a bargain at pick 56. A great receiver with surprising athleticism.

61. Charles Spencer, G, Pitt
    -Potential pro bowler slots in at the RG position. Definition of the word "mauler" or "road grader." Has the ability to get to the second level and seal off 'backers.

68. Jonathan Lewis, UT, Virginia Tech
    -Denver picks up an outstanding penetrator to add to the rotation at defensive tackle.

119. Bernard Pollard, S, Purdue
    -Pollard is a huge, athletic playmaker. He would fill in quite capably at SS if need be. Can really lay the lumber and intimidate.

126. Eric Henderson, DE, Georgia Tech
    -One of my favorite prospects, he comes ready made for RE (IMO). Excellent build, good athleticism, and speed to burn coming off the edge. A playmaker who is always disrupting or reaking havoc in the backfield. Height and injuries are the only thing holding him back from being a solid first day prospect IMO.

130. Joe Toledo, LT, UW
    -Fast riser who has the athleticism to play LT. Still a bit raw, but Denver has the time to develop him. Also a former TE, so you know he has the feet and quickness.

161. Cory Rodgers, WR, TCU
    -Tremendous deep threat who would help replace Ashley Lelie in that department. Also a terror on special teams/kick and punt return.

198. Anthony Trucks, LB, Oregon
    -A great pass rusher from the stand up position, and is a great wrap-up tackler. Also has awesome special teams potential. Has versatility to play the weakside and some strong safety.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I don't like leaving out a QB, but I'd prefer a veteran anyways. I'd be on the lookout on June 1st...

Wow, there is nothing on the market right now though. Perhaps a QB like Tarvaris Jackson or Brett Basanez on the second day would be ideal.
    Last edited by WABronco; 04-23-2006, 08:54 PM.

not bad at all WA........

Comment

I like it a lot. The knock around here about Demetrius Williams used to be that he's basically a Lelie clone, only a little slower but with better ball skills. Now that Lelie's on his way out, Williams is a perfect pick.

Also love the Jonathan Lewis and Joe Klopfenstein picks, though I have major homer-ish biases for both of them. Definitely can't argue with any of the other picks either.
      A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

My thoughts....

1) I don't like White. I did until I learned more about the man. Rapper agent, greedy, fat with self admitted weight issues. Maybe in the 4th round would I take a player like that. Not to mention, he played on a great team with a ridiculously good offensive line. For a slow RB, that still hasnt ran a 40 (and had a chiropractor declare he had a hamstring tear), I dont think he is going to be that good. Just too many shady things, too risky.

2) Demetrius Williams at 37 is fine. I like him for a WR.

3) I like Klopfenstein, but I dont think he'll be around in the late 2nd.

4) Chris Spencer is more of a mauler, not our type of OG. Plus, we are overstocked on OGs atm (Myers, Alexander, Carlisle, Hamilton). Greg Eslinger makes more sense here if we are going O-line, and he fits our system.

5) Jonathon Lewis is not our "type" of DT.

6) Pollard and Henderson are fine in the 4th.

7) No opinion on the latter players really, but Rashad Butler would be a better risk for our system over Toledo...IMO.

Nice job overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
          Friggin' Coyer and his two NT d-line...
          A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
            1) I don't like White. I did until I learned more about the man. Rapper agent, greedy, fat with self admitted weight issues. Maybe in the 4th round would I take a player like that. Not to mention, he played on a great team with a ridiculously good offensive line. For a slow RB, that still hasnt ran a 40 (and had a chiropractor declare he had a hamstring tear), I dont think he is going to be that good. Just too many shady things, too risky.
            Yea, I'm good with DeAngelo, Maroney, Addai, etc. I see your point though...

2) Demetrius Williams at 37 is fine. I like him for a WR.
            Agreed.

3) I like Klopfenstein, but I dont think he'll be around in the late 2nd.
            Yea, it's a bit of a fall for him...but not completely out of the question. I like Dom Byrd as well...

4) Chris Spencer is more of a mauler, not our type of OG. Plus, we are overstocked on OGs atm (Myers, Alexander, Carlisle, Hamilton). Greg Eslinger makes more sense here if we are going O-line, and he fits our system.
            Maybe this spot would be better served with a Omar Jacobs pick?

Oshinowo...right, I forgot.

6) Pollard and Henderson are fine in the 4th.
            Amen...

7) No opinion on the latter players really, but Rashad Butler would be a better risk for our system over Toledo...IMO.
            I had a little 30 second debate in my head over the two, but I chose Toledo because I'm a bit of a U-dub homer. Either guy would be an excellent value in the 4th round...

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoChicken
              Friggin' Coyer and his two NT d-line...
              Yea, that sucks...

What does everyone think of Demetrin Veal? He seemed to be stout and generated a bit of interior push.

Comment

WA, i'ma give you props for including the two OL prospects i want-- particularly spencer! lol, we've had that discussion already. . .

i also like klop a lot, and i really dislike CU, so i don't have any bias towards their players. . .

i also completely agree that we really need a veteran backup QB-- imo it's one of the major failures of the off-season that we didn't land one, i can't understand why we couldn't/wouldn't make it happen. . . BVP simply isn't acceptable as the backup for a team with super bowl aspirations-- someone like wright or frerotte would have been soo much better, as they've at least proven they can do some things to move an offense, and they have plenty of NFL experience. . . our lack of a proven backup QB is a horrible risk imo, and i sincerrely hope it doesn't bite us in the ass (knock on wood). . . wonder if anyone decent will become available after the june cuts? probably not. . .

in any case, good job with the scenario, even if i don't like lendale much. . .

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                  Yea, that sucks...

What does everyone think of Demetrin Veal? He seemed to be stout and generated a bit of interior push.

He's like a quasi- nose, quasi-3 technique. The team is very high on him, and I'd like to see how he does given more time. He was a potential sleeper coming out of college.

I cheer for him just because he's likely the closest thing we can get to a penetrator at DT in our current scheme. But if Warren makes a stink about being allowed to rush as a 3, I dont think Veal is going to get much time to play. He's not a pure NT for 1st and 2nd downs by any means.

You know...he'd probably be an ideal DE in a 3-4. And DJ Williams would be an ideal ILB in a 3-4, and Warren would probably like being a DE in a 3-4, and....it will never happen because it makes too much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                    Yea, that sucks...

I really got excited about him in the pre-season, especially when he got that questionable "roughing the passer" against Warner, when he completely duped his man on a swim move. He's a better option than any player expected to be available on day two, but itwouldn't hurt to draft one anyways.

Veal's motor is top notch, and he looked like the best athlete on our line last year. I have a feelinf several fans confused Pryce with Veal, because Demetrin was the only player lining up at UT on third downs that was getting anywhere near the QB.

While others get hyped up on Terrell and Jackson to fill holes from within, Veal is the only "nobody" that has shown potential and ability on gamedays in a Bronco uniform. I'm a big fan.

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
                      I really got excited about him in the pre-season, especially when he got that questionable "roughing the passer" against Warner, when he completely duped his man on a swim move. He's a better option than any player expected to be available on day two, but itwouldn't hurt to draft one anyways.

Veal's motor is top notch, and he looked like the best athlete on our line last year. I have a feelinf several fans confused Pryce with Veal, because Demetrin was the only player lining up at UT on third downs that was getting anywhere near the QB.

While others get hyped up on Terrell and Jackson to fill holes from within, Veal is the only "nobody" that has shown potential and ability on gamedays in a Bronco uniform. I'm a big fan.
                      Right on...

I had a feeling when we picked him up off the Atlanta PS. I was like, "wow, he's from Tennessee? We got ourselves a player..."

Heh.

Comment

Working...
                      X