at 15 the broncos take...who cares?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at 15 the broncos take...who cares?

ive been a strong supporter of using the 15 to try to fill one of our needs and to help improve our team for NEXT season. but the only positions i see a possible upgrade coming through the draft is at DT, TE or possibly FS.

i dont think any rookie WR is going to come in and improve the team right out of the gate. and i am fully confident in dayne and bell to get the job done. a back might be an up improvement, but imo it would be marginal at best.

so i have accepted the fact that the 15 will most likely be a pick for the future, and the second round is where we will look to add the pieces to make a superbowl run. unless bunkley or ngata fall, its just too much of a reach for a DT when there will be talent enough available in the second and even 3rd rounds. basically, mug has convinced me it makes more sense to use a later pick on a DT rather than trying to trade up for one of the top 2 guys.

pretty much the same deal for TE. all the value comes in the second round, unless davis falls into the double digits, which i just dont see happening.

FS we could use an upgrade, and there is decent value at 15. but coyer seems to put more value on a safeties run support than range. plus fergie did have a pretty solid year, so i dont see a safety beating him out in camp. add to that the unknown of browner and brandon getting re-signed, and i just dont see us going FS here.

so if we stay at 15, BPA no matter what the position makes the most sense. some think jackson or holmes, but im not sure they can be considered the bpa here. most talk is they are only this high because they are the best recievers, not the best prospects. if we are not giving any consideration to position, i dont see either of these two being at the top of shanny's board.

running back becomes a very real possibility. shanny could buck his trends and bring in some 1st round talent. if shanny and turner saw a back they felt was worth a 15 pick, id be excited to see what that back could do in our offense. this is the very definition of luxury pick imo, but if a back is at the top of shannys board, why not?

if cutler or young fall, i say grab them. they can then have 2-3 years to learn to be a qb. when jake steps down, they will hopefully be ready to step in and we dont lose a step. but i doubt either is available.

there is a lot of linebacker talent available. but this would be my one exception to bpa. i think a linebacker should not be considered, unless aj hawk is still on the board. id say the same thing about a pure corner. unless it is a corner that could also play safety, these two positions should be passed up.

a DE would be nice, but much like TE and DT, 15 might be too early. the whole group that is available here have some questions. no body is considered a cant-miss. there is a good chance that whomever we took at 15 would also be available at 37. and considering we already have 5 DE's on the roster (including corey jackson, but not including gause), to take a DE here is a bit of a risk. but if the top of shanny's board has a DE, the guys on our roster are not a good enough reason not to take him, imo.

so that brings us to LT. a common refrain amongst the 'draft a RB' contingent is imagine what a 1st round talent instead of a late round pick could do in our system. well, the reason our system is so good is because of our line. and our line, for the most part, is second dayers or UDFAs. this used to be fine, since our system was pretty unique. but now more and more teams are starting to look for the same kind of olineman that we do. so it might be time that shanny start using 1st round picks to ensure the continued excellence of our teams most important aspect.

shanny proved with foster he isnt above taking an olineman in the first round. if he was to consider it at 15, it would likely be between justice (ranked by nfl draft countdown as the 11th best prospect), and winston (the 24th). both guys are somewhat raw, but they would get a couple of years to learn the system before being expected to step in. i havent seen too many negatives about justice, but i dont think he is available at 15.

as for winston, i havent seen him play a ton, but when i did see him play he seemed to struggle against pure speed rushers. but he did seem capable of getting into the second level and getting up on linebackers. the athleticism is there, the technique could be improved. last year he dropped back a bit, but part of that was due to injury. he came into miami as a TE, so it is not really a big surprise that his technique needs to be improved. but denver could be just the place for him to do that.

so after all my carefull consideration and robust ramblings, i have concluded that denver will use the 15 with 2008 and beyond in mind. with that said, and depending on who falls, taking winston makes as much sense as anybody else.

if it does happen, talk about anti-climatic.
    "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

shanny might take a safety with #15? Allen or whitner might be available?

Comment

A ol? In the first? Er, no. We have our whole line locked up for at least the next three seasons. Any since we have proven to find pro-bowl talent at bargin basment prices, why start shopping at armani? Shanny and the FO find soild OL in the later rounds and we have no pressing need for one. BPA should be changed too Best player aviliable that we need, or BPATWN.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandapeep
        A ol? In the first? Er, no. We have our whole line locked up for at least the next three seasons. Any since we have proven to find pro-bowl talent at bargin basment prices, why start shopping at armani? Shanny and the FO find soild OL in the later rounds and we have no pressing need for one. BPA should be changed too Best player aviliable that we need, or BPATWN.
        If justice is available he better take him....

Comment

Unless Shanahan put up smoke screens saftey is not high on the list.
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I read your thing Bcbronc well put, very good opinion. Good Job Except saftey thing Ferguson is avg. at best... seriously, and lynch aint getting any younger.

I can see them getting whitner, allen, or Williams. Also can be considered BPA if no one falls.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandapeep

thats where the problem comes in. in my mind, the bpatwn would end up being a TE or a DT. but there isnt really a good pick at 15 in either position. perhaps shanny will get us a safety with sideline-to-sideline range. that would be good. but other than that, i dont think any pick will really address a pressing need.

if we arent going to address a pressing need, we might as well shore up the most important position to our team: the offensive line. get lepsis's replacement now and let him learn the system over the next couple of seasons.
              "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by NBudris
                I read your thing Bcbronc well put, very good opinion. Good Job Except saftey thing Ferguson is avg. at best... seriously, and lynch aint getting any younger.

I can see them getting whitner, allen, or Williams. Also can be considered BPA if no one falls.

i wouldnt mind at all. i do think fergy is a little better than average. he had a very solid season (much better than i expected anyways). and we do have the brandon brothers (sam and browner) still in the mix. but id be all for bringing in a great safety prospect at 15.

Comment

Imagine if we get a ball hawk on that side though, some one that can play man on a slot. I will give you he is slightly above avg. Browner I have no clue how he will due I thought he was going to beat him out. All of our other safties are below avg. (not including lynch).

Typing this make me want huff and slay much more Ball hawk and a fierce hitter

Then we would have some releasing to do huh.

Wow back to your thread... Good opinion w/ everything

Comment

ahem!!

*cough cough*

manny lawson. . . . manny lawson. . . . . manny lawson. . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . manny lawson. . . . . . . manny lawson. . . . . . . . . . .

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                      *cough cough*

I like this idea the best.
                      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

*cough cough*

What if wimbley is available? Also why do you want lawson w/our 15th?

Just curious I like lawson... just curious why you do

Comment

What if wimbley is available? Also why do you want lawson w/our 15th?

Just curious I like lawson... just curious why you do

read this thread. . . post #12 is my first one, but the whole thread is worth reading. . .

i like wimbley a lot also, and would be totally satisfied with him-- i prefer lawson by a little bit, but really it's splitting hairs, i'd love to see us draft either of them. . . and i don't see any way either is available at #37-- picking a DE there your choices are likely to be kiwi, tapp and hali (who i don't want becasue i don't think he's the pure pass rusher we need). . .

Comment

read this thread. . . post #12 is my first one, but the whole thread is worth reading. . .

i like wimbley a lot also, and would be totally satisfied with him-- i prefer lawson by a little bit, but really it's splitting hairs, i'd love to see us draft either of them. . . and i don't see any way either is available at #37-- picking a DE there your choices are likely to be kiwi, tapp and hali (who i don't want becasue i don't think he's the pure pass rusher we need). . .
                            Also if I remember right he was having a better season then mario the first half, then mario ran with it.

I wouldn't mind Lawson at all and would not be disappointed with him at 15. I just wonder how far we could trade back to still get him or wimbley.

I would be really excited just to see them going D in first round

Comment

Also if I remember right he was having a better season then mario the first half, then mario ran with it.

I wouldn't mind Lawson at all and would not be disappointed with him at 15. I just wonder how far we could trade back to still get him or wimbley.

I would be really excited just to see them going D in first round

i'm not holding my breath, but i would love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X