Shanahan Faces A Difficult Choice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahan Faces A Difficult Choice!

Let's face it! Shanahan's task in selecting a player to be taken at #15 in this year's draft may not be an easy one! It seems there are no obvious sure fire choices available. Look over the options and none of them seems that great. There are drawbacks and potentials for busts!

I'm glad I'm not in his shoes this year!

People are saying that WR should be the best option, but the most interesting thing will be what do the Broncos do if both Holmes and Jackson are gone at #15.

This could happen. I've seen mocks they get drafted at #13 and #14 (Baltimore and especially Philly). Philly needs a WR since they lost T.O. and will probably draft one at #14 unless they get Javon Walker.

The Ravens though need a QB though. The Kyle Boller experiment didn't work out. The only question would be whether they think Culter could be the answer.

#15 pick might be a problem. LINK

Who do you take at #15 though? Any way you look at it there are more questions than answers:

RB - Denver could use a RB, but this is a reach to grab any of the top RBs at #15 and neither DeAngelo Williams or LenDale White or Marooney will be available at #37. Typically Broncos don't take 1st round RBs!

WR - Everyone says take one of the top 2 WRs, but there are problems with WRs taken in the 1st round - historically many are busts -- and it's difficult to tell who they are in advance! It takes up to 3 years to develop a WR if they ever do. Both Holmes and Jackson may be gone, but even if they aren't this is a risky pick. Lelie looked good on the draft board at #19 but look at him now! The same thing will be true of both Jackson and Holmes, wherever they are taken. Plus, the team needs to win now and it's unlikely that either would make a serious impact before 2007-8 at the earliest! Javon Walker is a much better option to fill the WR void left by the departure of Lelie. If Walker comes in do the Broncos still draft WR, even though they could find him stuck at #5 on the depth chart, behind Rod, Javon, Lelie (if nobody offers anything decent in trade for him), David Terrell. What about special teams? Both Adams and Devoe are decent special teams players. IF you cut them to make room for a rookie who picks up the slack on special teams?

A lot of questions and not too many answers make WR an unsatisfying pick!

LBs - A possible pick. Broncos don't need a starting LB since signing Ian Gold, but could use a quality backup. Ernie Simms and Chad Greenway could be available. This might be a surprise pick if other options don't pan out.

DB - After 3 picks last year Broncos don't have a need at CB or safety. Shanahan has said that a rookie "DB is probably not going to start." So, this would be a surprising pick, but if Jimmy Williams or Michael Huff were available and were the top rated players left on the board? Do they take them anyway? Broncos might try and trade down but that might not work. If they are stuck at #15 that makes it potentially tough to overlook a top safety, but these guys probably want to be CBs which they won't be on the Broncos. DB is not a great pick for the Broncos.

OL - Broncos could definitely use an OL, but they typically pick one in later rounds and groom him for several years. Denver can do this because of their blocking scheme that uses smaller OL than other teams do, so they find later round gems others overlook/don't want. 1st round pick of Foster was a disappointment. Only highly rated OL - Winston Justice and D'Brickshaw Ferguson will both probably be gone by #15. Anyone else is a reach here.

QB - If Jay Cutler is available he could be the pick. But, Broncos need to win the SB NOW before Rod and Jake and John Lynch retire! QB does nothing to help this year. If Cutler is on the bench in 2007 does this create the dreaded QB controversy? What if Jake plays for 3 or 4 more years? How long can they let Jay Cutler ride the bench and pay him $millions to hold a clip-board? Can they afford to tie their SB hopes to a rookie in 2007?

DL - The need for an elite DT remains, and an elite DE is always nice, but Mario Williams and probably Ngata and Bunkley will be gone. Others will be considered reaches: DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley, Manny Lawson, Mathias Kiwanuka, Gabe Watson, etc. Most are 2nd round picks. To take any of them at #15 would be a major stretch and most will be gone by #37. DL doesn't look like the pick at #15.

TE - The only highly rated TE Vernon Davis will be gone by #6 S.F. if the Packers don't take him at #5. All the others have question marks. The Broncos tried to move up to #5 to get him but Green Bay rejected the Broncos offer of #15 and #22 draft picks. Stupid Green Bay! But, since the Broncos traded their #22 pick Davis is no longer possible and other TEs (Leonard Pope, Mercedes Lewis, Joe Klopfenstein, Dominque Byrd), would be serious reaches here and many would make decent 2nd round picks, especially at #37.

Well, there you have it! NO obvious choices for the Broncos and a LOT of question marks whatever they do.

Sounds like the best strategy might be to trade down or trade up. They tried to trade up and were stiffed, but a draft day trade is still possible. If they stay put I wouldn't be shocked by a surprise pick like OL or LB or QB! I just won't like it!

I'm not envying Shanahan for having to make this choice.
    sigpic

if u want a player badly then there is no reaches in the draft
    "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Nice post Cugel. THERE IS NOT A PLAYER THAT WILL BE AVAILABLE AT 15 THAT WILL FILL A NEED, AND NOT BE A REACH. There are NO projected WR's, RB's, TE's, or DT's worth pick 15.

I am hopeful that we make another move before we use that pick.

Comment

This is why I've been hoping that we could trade back into the 23-27 range.

I also wouldn't mind trading up, but also it is good to consider that somebody who isn't expected to fall probably will. It happens every year where a guy that was pegged for the top ten will fall to around 15.

If this happens, there are a couple of possibilities. If it is somebody like Bunkley that is at a position of need, we just take them, but if it is somebody at a position that other teams need, we suddenly have excellent trade fodder. And a trade with any of these positions would net us a second round pick according to the draft value chart.

Something else that troubles me a bit is that Atlanta was only able to come up with a late third round pick in trading from 15 to 29.

I mean, they should have been able to get more, or so you'd think. It worries me that the teams in the twenties are content with what they have and prefer not to move up. Of course, if somebody falls to us, they may change their mind.
        My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
        . Post Your Artwork .
        . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

well, i'm sure there will be one or two good players available at #15 if we're lucky. . . . of course, that doesn't mean we'll take them. . . . good post cugel-- but honestly, although i certainly understand the concept of value at certain spots in the draft, i think sometimes the term is used a little loosely on here. . .

as much as we've been told by the "experts" how talented this draft is, i think maybe it's a case where there are A LOT of players who are worth a #15 pick in an average draft, not NO players who are worth the pick-- if so, i see it as a problem of ascertaining which one you want. . . . if you can get a profitable offer to trade back (one where you actually gain something), you do it, and if not you identify the player who best fits your system and fills a need, and you take him and stop worrying about it. . . .

and i would LOVE to be mike shanahan in this draft, or any other-- he knows damn well that no matter how badly he blows it, his job is safe and he's not going anywhere. . . .

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I think Shanny has his main preferences at #15 of Jackson and Lawson. I think Philly will grab Jackson at #14. I am hoping for Lawson, but I have a feeling Cutler is going to fall to us and I wonder if Shanny will take him. If he is there I hope Shanny grabs him.
            The three Keys to football
            1. Turnovers
            2. Field Position
            3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
              well, i'm sure there will be one or two good players available at #15 if we're lucky. . . . of course, that doesn't mean we'll take them. . . . good post cugel-- but honestly, although i certainly understand the concept of value at certain spots in the draft, i think sometimes the term is used a little loosely on here. . .

as much as we've been told by the "experts" how talented this draft is, i think maybe it's a case where there are A LOT of players who are worth a #15 pick in an average draft, not NO players who are worth the pick-- if so, i see it as a problem of ascertaining which one you want. . . . if you can get a profitable offer to trade back (one where you actually gain something), you do it, and if not you identify the player who best fits your system and fills a need, and you take him and stop worrying about it. . . .

and i would LOVE to be mike shanahan in this draft, or any other-- he knows damn well that no matter how badly he blows it, his job is safe and he's not going anywhere. . . .

dog, i think your point about value is especially relevant in this draft. its been said countless times how the players ranked 20-60 are pretty similiar (hence all the people wanting us do trade down). i think this draft is pretty tough to predict, so if there is someone you really like, you have to take him (to a degree of course).

if shanny really likes someone at 15, but he is 'ranked' a little lower than that, you cant just assume that he will be there at 37. in this draft its going to be pretty hard to judge 'value' and 'reaches' in the first couple of rounds.
              "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

It would be difficult for me to agree with Cugel any more than I already do. The good news is though that we only have to wait a few more days before we find out how htis all turns out.

Comment

Shanny will pick LenDale White at 15 and this whole place will lose it's mind.

Comment

Yes I would!

Originally posted by Perry1977
                    Shanny will pick LenDale White at 15 and this whole place will lose it's mind.
                    Can you imagine the board...right after that pick....this place would be going NUTS! Especially Lane Bryant...they'd be looking to advertise their BIG WOMAN'S line at Invesco by signing Man Boobs to an advertising contract!
                    MIKE CELEZIC IS A TOOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                      Let's face it! Shanahan's task in selecting a player to be taken at #15 in this year's draft may not be an easy one! It seems there are no obvious sure fire choices available. Look over the options and none of them seems that great. There are drawbacks and potentials for busts!

I'm glad I'm not in his shoes this year!

People are saying that WR should be the best option, but the most interesting thing will be what do the Broncos do if both Holmes and Jackson are gone at #15.

This could happen. I've seen mocks they get drafted at #13 and #14 (Baltimore and especially Philly). Philly needs a WR since they lost T.O. and will probably draft one at #14 unless they get Javon Walker.

The Ravens though need a QB though. The Kyle Boller experiment didn't work out. The only question would be whether they think Culter could be the answer.

#15 pick might be a problem. LINK

Who do you take at #15 though? Any way you look at it there are more questions than answers:

RB - Denver could use a RB, but this is a reach to grab any of the top RBs at #15 and neither DeAngelo Williams or LenDale White or Marooney will be available at #37. Typically Broncos don't take 1st round RBs!

WR - Everyone says take one of the top 2 WRs, but there are problems with WRs taken in the 1st round - historically many are busts -- and it's difficult to tell who they are in advance! It takes up to 3 years to develop a WR if they ever do. Both Holmes and Jackson may be gone, but even if they aren't this is a risky pick. Lelie looked good on the draft board at #19 but look at him now! The same thing will be true of both Jackson and Holmes, wherever they are taken. Plus, the team needs to win now and it's unlikely that either would make a serious impact before 2007-8 at the earliest! Javon Walker is a much better option to fill the WR void left by the departure of Lelie. If Walker comes in do the Broncos still draft WR, even though they could find him stuck at #5 on the depth chart, behind Rod, Javon, Lelie (if nobody offers anything decent in trade for him), David Terrell. What about special teams? Both Adams and Devoe are decent special teams players. IF you cut them to make room for a rookie who picks up the slack on special teams?

A lot of questions and not too many answers make WR an unsatisfying pick!

LBs - A possible pick. Broncos don't need a starting LB since signing Ian Gold, but could use a quality backup. Ernie Simms and Chad Greenway could be available. This might be a surprise pick if other options don't pan out.

DB - After 3 picks last year Broncos don't have a need at CB or safety. Shanahan has said that a rookie "DB is probably not going to start." So, this would be a surprising pick, but if Jimmy Williams or Michael Huff were available and were the top rated players left on the board? Do they take them anyway? Broncos might try and trade down but that might not work. If they are stuck at #15 that makes it potentially tough to overlook a top safety, but these guys probably want to be CBs which they won't be on the Broncos. DB is not a great pick for the Broncos.

OL - Broncos could definitely use an OL, but they typically pick one in later rounds and groom him for several years. Denver can do this because of their blocking scheme that uses smaller OL than other teams do, so they find later round gems others overlook/don't want. 1st round pick of Foster was a disappointment. Only highly rated OL - Winston Justice and D'Brickshaw Ferguson will both probably be gone by #15. Anyone else is a reach here.

QB - If Jay Cutler is available he could be the pick. But, Broncos need to win the SB NOW before Rod and Jake and John Lynch retire! QB does nothing to help this year. If Cutler is on the bench in 2007 does this create the dreaded QB controversy? What if Jake plays for 3 or 4 more years? How long can they let Jay Cutler ride the bench and pay him $millions to hold a clip-board? Can they afford to tie their SB hopes to a rookie in 2007?

DL - The need for an elite DT remains, and an elite DE is always nice, but Mario Williams and probably Ngata and Bunkley will be gone. Others will be considered reaches: DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley, Manny Lawson, Mathias Kiwanuka, Gabe Watson, etc. Most are 2nd round picks. To take any of them at #15 would be a major stretch and most will be gone by #37. DL doesn't look like the pick at #15.

TE - The only highly rated TE Vernon Davis will be gone by #6 S.F. if the Packers don't take him at #5. All the others have question marks. The Broncos tried to move up to #5 to get him but Green Bay rejected the Broncos offer of #15 and #22 draft picks. Stupid Green Bay! But, since the Broncos traded their #22 pick Davis is no longer possible and other TEs (Leonard Pope, Mercedes Lewis, Joe Klopfenstein, Dominque Byrd), would be serious reaches here and many would make decent 2nd round picks, especially at #37.

Well, there you have it! NO obvious choices for the Broncos and a LOT of question marks whatever they do.

Sounds like the best strategy might be to trade down or trade up. They tried to trade up and were stiffed, but a draft day trade is still possible. If they stay put I wouldn't be shocked by a surprise pick like OL or LB or QB! I just won't like it!

I'm not envying Shanahan for having to make this choice.

1) regarding if two wide receivers were gone before we pick at 15, I really dought it but would be the greatest thing specially for a wide receiver class that normally would not be in the 1st round. That would mean we would have a great player drop to us at 15. Like Bunkley, Ngata, Huff, Justice etc.,

2) That would be way to much money for a back up LB.

3) We have a great need at saftey. huff, williams, whitner, Allen would all be great selections at Saftey. Lynch is not getting any younger, Furguson is avg. at best (I know he had his break out year, that was complimentery mainly, not explaining again)

4) Even though a QB wont be available it would be a great pick IF some one fell.

5) wimbley and lawson would not be considered a reach at 15

6) Also regarding your GB and how Broncos offered two first round picks... is incorrect

Other then that good post, great opinion

Comment

Originally posted by NBudris
                        1) regarding if two wide receivers were gone before we pick at 15, I really dought it but would be the greatest thing specially for a wide receiver class that normally would not be in the 1st round. That would mean we would have a great player drop to us at 15. Like Bunkley, Ngata, Huff, Justice etc.,

2) That would be way to much money for a back up LB.

3) We have a great need at saftey. huff, williams, whitner, Allen would all be great selections at Saftey. Lynch is not getting any younger, Furguson is avg. at best (I know he had his break out year, that was complimentery mainly, not explaining again)

4) Even though a QB wont be available it would be a great pick IF some one fell.

5) wimbley and lawson would not be considered a reach at 15

6) Also regarding your GB and how Broncos offered two first round picks... is incorrect

Other then that good post, great opinion
                        You're right about the offer to Green Bay. And apparently that is still being discussed. But Denver apparently offered the #37 pick, not the #22 pick. In fact they may have traded back so they could do this deal.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X