Shanny, you're a silly goose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Javalon
    Yeah, Darrent Williams and Dominique Foxworth didn't make a difference last year. Neither did D.J. Williams the year before.

lofa tatupu, ben roethlisberger, cadillac williams, shawne merriman. . . . there's actually a pretty long list of rookies recently who "haven't made any impact on their team". . . . . .

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Javalon

The same applies to DTs but their stats just aren't as flashy.

ya, i looked at some DT that i thought were younger and played well, but their stats dont say much about that...

The last DT that i remember being a force even as a rookie is Vince Wilfork for the Pats as the Nose Gaurd
      Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

• DeMarcus Ware was another that made an impact as rookie. Sorry if that has been posted in the previous pages, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by GridironChamp
          ya, i looked at some DT that i thought were younger and played well, but their stats dont say much about that...

The last DT that i remember being a force even as a rookie is Vince Wilfork for the Pats as the Nose Gaurd

mike patterson for philly had 44 total tackles, 3.5 sacks and a forced fumble-- pretty nice stats for a rookie DT. . . .

Comment

• [QUOTE=dogfish]OK, another opinion is just what this discussion needs, SO. . . .

i imagine everyone who reads this board on a regular basis knows who i wanted us to pick-- it hasn't exactly been a secret or anything, i've been screaming about it since i first came on here, lol. . . . . i feel like i've been a poster boy for the "draft DL to help us win NOW" movement. . . . . for anyone who just crawled out of the woodwork and doesn't believe me, MUG's the popster boy lol he has been talking about it for years.. lol
            The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
            While he sits by his hearth at home.
            Quickly finds when questioned by others .
            That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Broncosinindy]
              Originally posted by dogfish
              OK, another opinion is just what this discussion needs, SO. . . .

i imagine everyone who reads this board on a regular basis knows who i wanted us to pick-- it hasn't exactly been a secret or anything, i've been screaming about it since i first came on here, lol. . . . . i feel like i've been a poster boy for the "draft DL to help us win NOW" movement. . . . . for anyone who just crawled out of the woodwork and doesn't believe me, MUG's the popster boy lol he has been talking about it for years.. lol

yea, i'm familiar with MUG-- and cugel as well. . . . that's why i said "ONE of the poster boys". . . . . and for the record, i've been talking about it for years too, i just haven't been on this board that long. . . . .

Comment

• You guys did name some great guys, but look at overall numbers. Out of the 200+ players drafted every year, less then 20% of them have immediate, positive impacts. That falls under the category of "very few." Either way, it's ridiculous to say that a rookie defensive tackle or end would take us to the Super Bowl. The Broncos had a top 5 defense last year, so I think they are fine where they are at. You can win a Super Bowl with a mediocre defensive lineman, you can't win a Super Bowl with a mediocre QB/decision maker (Plummer). Dilfer was the closest thing to a mediocre QB to win a Super Bowl and that only represents 3% of Super Bowls. Cutler will supplant Plummer by next year. It's just how it's going to happen.

It was our offense that lacked explosiveness and Javon will automatically assist with that. It's the running back position that I am worried about now. Dayne and Bell scare the hell out of me.

Comment

• just because no one has posted this yet but I don't think Shanny is a silly goose.

Comment

• Originally posted by thehoot79
                    You guys did name some great guys, but look at overall numbers. Out of the 200+ players drafted every year, less then 20% of them have immediate, positive impacts. That falls under the category of "very few." Either way, it's ridiculous to say that a rookie defensive tackle or end would take us to the Super Bowl. The Broncos had a top 5 defense last year, so I think they are fine where they are at. You can win a Super Bowl with a mediocre defensive lineman, you can't win a Super Bowl with a mediocre QB/decision maker (Plummer). Dilfer was the closest thing to a mediocre QB to win a Super Bowl and that only represents 3% of Super Bowls. Cutler will supplant Plummer by next year. It's just how it's going to happen.

It was our offense that lacked explosiveness and Javon will automatically assist with that. It's the running back position that I am worried about now. Dayne and Bell scare the hell out of me.
                    Interesting points.

For the record, Dayne and Bell worries me too.

Comment

• Originally posted by thehoot79
                      You guys did name some great guys, but look at overall numbers. Out of the 200+ players drafted every year, less then 20% of them have immediate, positive impacts. That falls under the category of "very few." Either way, it's ridiculous to say that a rookie defensive tackle or end would take us to the Super Bowl. The Broncos had a top 5 defense last year, so I think they are fine where they are at. You can win a Super Bowl with a mediocre defensive lineman, you can't win a Super Bowl with a mediocre QB/decision maker (Plummer). Dilfer was the closest thing to a mediocre QB to win a Super Bowl and that only represents 3% of Super Bowls. Cutler will supplant Plummer by next year. It's just how it's going to happen.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

However, I'd imagine you would agree that the higher the draft pick, the more likely that player is to contribute right away. At #11 overall, that player should have better than the 20% chance you estimated to contribute positively right away. And while I don't know that exact percentage (50% sound good?), I do know it's a LOT higher than Cutler, whom we drafted with the intent of riding the bench for a year or longer.

Our defensive line could not provide enough pressure on their own last year, so we had to resort to far too many all-out blitzes in order to pressure opposing QBs. That philosophy is desperate and flawed. Just ask the Steelers if the all-out blitzes didn't leave our defense overly vulnerable.

A pass rushing DE or pocket collapsing DT would have had a good chance at contributing right away considering it was one of our main weaknesses on defense. Cutler might pay off down the road but he is extremely unlikely to help us take the next step toward the Super Bowl in the next couple of years.
                      "You can't take the sky from me..."
                      ------
                      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

• Originally posted by NBudris
                        just because no one has posted this yet but I don't think Shanny is a silly goose.
                        It's nicer than what I originally called him.

For the record, I like Shanny and I reacted in the heat of the moment right after we selected Cutler. And the mods were kind enough to change the title to something humorous instead of insulting.

You're still the man, Shanahan!
                        "You can't take the sky from me..."
                        ------
                        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

• Oh if you could only be more emotionally detacted Jav then you wouldn't have problems like these.
                          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                          X