No announcement yet.

Man, we're crowded at receiver...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like we're going to keep 6 WRs this year and they'll be: Smith, Lelie, Walker, Marshall, Hixon and whomever wins the position battle between Watts and Terrel. The other WRs will be cut, wit hthe drafting of Hixon Adams and Devoe become expendible he not only plays at the WR position, but he also plays on special teams and does return duty.
    sigpic
    PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
    You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Comment

Look we already know who the WRs are for this season! Shanahan has said that he expects Lelie to be back and while a trade is still possible it isn't likely.

He tried like hell to trade him and couldn't so that's over for the year.

He's also said that David Terrell is the leading candidate to be the #3 WR (there were numerous threads about the article in the News a week or so ago in case you missed it).

Terrell certainly has vastly more talent than any of the other scrubs or rookies on the team right now. His problem has been immaturity that didn't let him develop his God given talent (#8 pick of the draft) in Chicago. With a year on the Broncos and a training camp to prove himself, he should make the team too.

Rod Smith isn't close to retiring yet and had another great year last year.

So, we have:

1. Rod Smith
      2. Javon Walker
      3. Ashlie Lelie or David Terrell
      4. Terrell or Lelie
      5. Marshall or Adams or Devoe or Kircus or Watts or Hixon.

Now 2 of these guys, Marshall and Hixon could possibly be transferred to the practice squad. The team also needs special teams scrubs which Devoe and Adams did well last year.

Frankly, this just makes no sense at all! You've essentially got 6 guys fighting for 1 spot on the active roster! So you draft 2 more?

My guess is that Devoe or Adams survives the cuts as a special teams player and/or returner and that Marshall and Hixon go to the practice squad.

So, out of 3 4th round picks with many prospects at other positions left on the boards, Shanahan picks two guys who won't make the active roster and are long-shots to ever start! Even at the #3 WR position.

It's like Shanahan is just throwing away draft picks on hunches or something! There are too many other good picks on the board to waste on WRs who will probably never amount to anything. Maybe Marshall has a chance. But, we've been down this road before time and time again with late round WR picks.

Everybody raves about their potential, then they sit on the practice squad for a while, then they are special teams aces and all the homers start bloviating about how "this is their year." I could give you about 6 examples, but I'll spare you. ("Herb Haygood, Triandos Luke, all the ghosts of Junes' past-- come on down!")

Then the're cut to make way for a new batch of expendable scrubs -- like Devoe or Adams or both will be this year.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vicious2500
        It looks like we're going to keep 6 WRs this year and they'll be: Smith, Lelie, Walker, Marshall, Hixon and whomever wins the position battle between Watts and Terrel. The other WRs will be cut, wit hthe drafting of Hixon Adams and Devoe become expendible he not only plays at the WR position, but he also plays on special teams and does return duty.
        I think I'd have DeVoe over Hixon.

Thanks to B4Bronco6 for the sig!
        RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
        Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
        -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Reality check

WE're all homers, that's a given but now we're afforded the luxury of reality. Like last year bringing in 4 DBs including Browner. The competition is open. WE've been cheering for Devoe and Adams cuz we're Bronco fans but let's be honest, they ain't dazzling anyone. And Watts is on an extremely short leash and Terrel hasn't seen the field and Kircus is camp-fodder. I think both rookies have a chance to stick.

My prediction:
          Rod
          Javon
          Lelie
          Terrel
          Watts
          Marshall and Hixson make it through camp - Hixson as a KR/PR.

And we trade Lelie or Terrel (more likely Lelie because he'd fetch a better pick) before the season starts. And which ever one of those 2 we keep gets a long term deal (to replace Rod).
          "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
            Who will be the odd men out?

Rod, Walker, Lelie, Terrell, Watts, Devoe, Kircus, Adams and now Marshall. Some receivers I like are going to be hitting the road.
            Does that remind you of the CB take last year?

How did that turn out?

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
              Who will be the odd men out?

Rod, Walker, Lelie, Terrell, Watts, Devoe, Kircus, Adams and now Marshall. Some receivers I like are going to be hitting the road.

I like Devoe. He works hard.

I think Watts is a goner.

Marshall has potential.

Adams and Kircus? Who knows?

Terrell may also be a goner. He has contributed nothing.

In a perfect world, Smith, Walker, and Lelie line up a LOT in a 3 WR set. Terrell actually uses some of that skill, and one of the others (Marshall? Devoe?) prove they can be an effective #4 and #5 and special teams player.

Everybody's gotta elevate from the norm...

The greatest list of music I don't own on CD :sad:
              You should check these guys out

Comment

Originally posted by Jared
                Terrell may also be a goner. He has contributed nothing.

He has had zero opportunites to contribute anything.

RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
                Know this above all else. This life is your only life. So while you live life, make the most of every second, minute and hour that you have. Time stops for no one. Don't stop for time. Seize the day.
                -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
                  He has had zero opportunites to contribute anything.

Maybe because he hasn't earned them?

I could see a late pick up at QB needing some time to learn the playbook, but a WR?

Since he doesn't do special teams, it's basically #3 or nothing for him.

And unless Lelie is traded (which no other team seems to want to do), or becomes a problem player (so far, he's been quiet and doing his thing) I don't see how he falls out of the top 3.

The only thing I can see to get Terrell in the top 3 is Rod Smith saying "I'll demote myself to 4 and play special teams, if it means a Super Bowl ring"

I don't see that as likely either, do you? He's a great team guy, but he's better than a #3 and he knows it.

Comment

I could be wrong but, wasn't because his aquisition was at a certain time he had to be on the practice squad for the rest of the season?

RB #22 Wisconsin Badgers
                    -Kobe Bryant-

Comment

I could see a late pick up at QB needing some time to learn the playbook, but a WR?

And unless Lelie is traded (which no other team seems to want to do), or becomes a problem player (so far, he's been quiet and doing his thing) I don't see how he falls out of the top 3.

The only thing I can see to get Terrell in the top 3 is Rod Smith saying "I'll demote myself to 4 and play special teams, if it means a Super Bowl ring"

I don't see that as likely either, do you? He's a great team guy, but he's better than a #3 and he knows it.
                      I have this wierd feeling that Terrell is going to give Lelie a run for his money.

They both can get down the field, but Terrell will go across the middle, too.

Something Lelie apparently dreads.

-----

Comment

I think only Rod and Javon are locks to make the final roster. Javon will get plenty of time to get his knee in shape, and learn the system.

As for the rest....let the games begin.
                        As the world changes rational people will change with it. Only the zealots, and fundamentalists resist change. God save us from them.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                          I have this wierd feeling that Terrell is going to give Lelie a run for his money.

-----
                          I want Terrell to succeed. That only makes the team better.

But if he doesn't make it a #3 or #4, is there a place for him on the team?

He and Lelie are now battling for the same job, and I think Marshall could easily end up #4. Watts I think, is done for sure, though. So, I think whoever doesn't make #3 is looking at getting cut, not demoted. Simply because I don't see either as being a great return guy on special teams.

Comment

Originally posted by jam1369
                            I think only Rod and Javon are locks to make the final roster. Javon will get plenty of time to get his knee in shape, and learn the system.

As for the rest....let the games begin.

Good call.

I think that's a fair assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe

-----
                              Yeh I've been thinking since near the end of last year that he would surprise us this year. Our starting WRs in 07 could be Walker and Terrel!
                              "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Look, I've not been in Terrell's corner. When they got him I questioned the move and said he was useless in Chicago and will be in Denver. Certainly nothing he did last year changed that.

But, SHANAHAN just said a couple of weeks ago that they were pleased with Terrell and that he thought he could be the #3 WR this season. He's probably not lying about that.

Notice he didn't say that about Watts! Or Adams, or Devoe or any other scrub.

Rookies aren't going to start at WR (says Shanahan not a week ago). So Marshall is out as #3WR. And the other scrubs will probably never make it anyway.

So, who's going to be in the WR set? Either Lelie or Terrell. They're not bringing in Walker for a 2nd round pick to have him lanuguish at the #3 WR spot.

Lelie may be traded or he may sulk or he may be in Shanahan's dog-house or he may simply not be the right sort for a #3 WR.

A #3 WR is supposed to find an open spot on the field on 3rd and long and catch the ball, maybe make a few extra yards to ensure a 1st down and get off the field. Lelie's problem has been in the short-medium passing game where he lacks strenght and moves to break the jam and get open consistently. He excels in long pass plays where he can use his straight speed to get away from defenders and then come back to the ball and use his hand skills. He's made many circus catches but all too often he gets muscled off the ball in traffic and he's not great over the middle.

Doesn't sound like the ideal #3 WR does it?

The Broncos run the ball a lot and don't use 3 WR sets that much except in long yardage. So, that's unlikely to change.

Now Terrell is a big WR with great hands. He's been undisiplined in the past and hasn't impressed anyone. Basically his problem as he admitted has been a lack of maturity and taking things for granted. Now that he's not doing that and he's had a chance to have a training camp and pre-season to evaluate his ability we'll see. Her certainly has the physical tools to be a top WR in the NFL if he were 1/2 as dedicated as Rod Smith (which he may never be).

But, Watts is almost certainly gone now that 3 new WRs are coming in and Devoe or Adams or both will be gone too (depending on whether Hixon or Hickenlooper or whatever pans out as a ST player).

So, what's left?

1. Rod
                                2. Javon
                                3. Ashlie or Terrell
                                4. Terrell or Ashlie
                                5. Maybe Marshall, maybe Watts, maybe one of the other scrubs.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X