• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vicious2500
    replied
    Originally posted by LiquidBlue
    I think I'd have DeVoe over Hixon.
    Hixons young and does special teams duty as well he can do kickoff of punting duties. Have to go with the younger guy on this one, but he'll probably end up on the practice squad.

Leave a comment:

• PsychoChicken
    replied
    Originally posted by TDforTatum26
    ah here we go...from kffl.com

Broncos | Kuper working on long snapping
    Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:52:41 -0700

Denver Broncos rookie OG Chris Kuper said that he has been working on long snapping the past couple of years. "I didn't start as a long snapper here (at North Dakota), but it's going to be something that I'm going to work on just to try to make myself a little more versatile."

good. we dont have to waste a roster spot on just a long-snapper (Leach)
    They were saying the same thing about Chris Myers last year. The thing is, I'm willing to waste a roster spot on Leach because he's one of the best in the business. If we have a sucky long snapper, a lot can really go wrong.

Leave a comment:

• myoung
    replied
    Originally posted by Javalon
    We're pretty stacked at receiver but we draft another receiver.

We're deep at DE, and while we could use a pass rusher, Dumervil sounds pretty inconsistent to me. And we could seriously use more depth at DT.

I kind of feel like we just drafted a couple guys who are really unlikely to make the team and we'll have to hope they clear waivers so we can add them to the practice squad.

I wouldn't mind that except that I'd hope 4th round picks would have a better shot to make the team.

What do you think about these guys and their chances?
    Marshall will make the team at least and probably both 4th round guys will. We have alot of waste at WR. I do think this spells the end for Watts. I think we are also concerned about the Lelie situation.

Adams will probably be gone and I think there is no way Marshall will be a TE. I think he will be a WR that we let develop for a couple of years. He is big enough to contribute very well on special teams and will move into the 4th wr slot. Hopefully when Rod moves on he will be ready to be the 2nd or 3rd guy.

I do not believe we wasted these draft picks.

Leave a comment:

• TDforTatum26
    replied
    Originally posted by TDforTatum26
    I think someone told me that Kuber can long-snap. That way we dont have to keep Leach.
    ah here we go...from kffl.com

Broncos | Kuper working on long snapping
    Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:52:41 -0700

Denver Broncos rookie OG Chris Kuper said that he has been working on long snapping the past couple of years. "I didn't start as a long snapper here (at North Dakota), but it's going to be something that I'm going to work on just to try to make myself a little more versatile."

good. we dont have to waste a roster spot on just a long-snapper (Leach)

Leave a comment:

• TDforTatum26
    replied
    Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
    I think it might look something like this:

WRs

Rod Smith and Javon Walker #1&2 or vice versa.

Terrell gets #3 and Marshall wins #4 in camp.

Hixson and Adams battle for PR/KR and the loser is cut (Hixson may make the practice squad)

Ashley Lelie will be traded or released at/before the June 1st deadline.

Watts, Devoe, and Kircus are cut.

TEs

Alexander, Sheffler, Duke, and Leach (as the long-snapper) make the roster

Nate (ouch I'm hurt again) Jackson is cut.

I don't think Marshall, Hixson, or Sheffler has any chance of being cut. If Devoe, Adams, Watts, Kircus, or Jackson were gonna do anything, they would've by now.

I'm excited about the possibilities!

I think someone told me that Kuber can long-snap. That way we dont have to keep Leach.

Leave a comment:

• HORSEPOWER 56
    replied
    I think it might look something like this:

WRs

Rod Smith and Javon Walker #1&2 or vice versa.

Terrell gets #3 and Marshall wins #4 in camp.

Hixson and Adams battle for PR/KR and the loser is cut (Hixson may make the practice squad)

Ashley Lelie will be traded or released at/before the June 1st deadline.

Watts, Devoe, and Kircus are cut.

TEs

Alexander, Sheffler, Duke, and Leach (as the long-snapper) make the roster

Nate (ouch I'm hurt again) Jackson is cut.

I don't think Marshall, Hixson, or Sheffler has any chance of being cut. If Devoe, Adams, Watts, Kircus, or Jackson were gonna do anything, they would've by now.

I'm excited about the possibilities!

Leave a comment:

• bcbronc
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean
    I see 8 wide receivers and three defensive tackles (four if you count Patrice M ? in NFL Europe). Can you say let's make a deal?

Mike excells at trading. In fact, it has been a major ingredient in building the team that we presently have. Maybe we get a DT in trade for a receiver. We may possibly wait until it gets close to the June deadline.

I liked the draft but we still have a huge hole and it is not at wide out.

i hope you are right.

maybe a package of terrell and watts has some value?

i know they dont, so nobody has to yell at me.

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied
    I see 8 wide receivers and three defensive tackles (four if you count Patrice M ? in NFL Europe). Can you say let's make a deal?

Mike excells at trading. In fact, it has been a major ingredient in building the team that we presently have. Maybe we get a DT in trade for a receiver. We may possibly wait until it gets close to the June deadline.

I liked the draft but we still have a huge hole and it is not at wide out.

Leave a comment:

• bcbronc
    replied
    okay everybody pick a favourite reciever and let the games begin.

obviously rod and javon have a spot on the final roster. if ash is back, i dont think the 1-2 spots are for certain. i think shanny will use more 3 wide out sets than he usually does. but all 3 can block, so it has the potential to be awesome for us.

i dont see it being a clear cut rod #1, javon #2 situation. i think who is on the field out of these 3 will depend on the down and yardage, as well as the field position. i think it is fully concievable that javon and ash will see the field in certain situations, while rod is on the sidelines. this will only keep rod fresher and make him more effective late in the season (rods play wasnt as sharp as the season wore on, imo). but currently, it is no guarantee that ashley is back for this season, but i remain hopeful that he is.

so after rod/javon/ash i think there will be terrell/watts/marshall battling it out for 2 spots. considering the recent media hype surrounding terrell, and marshall being a draft pick, watts is definately on the bubble. i was hoping watts would get one more year to see if he could find some consistancy catching the ball, but thats tough to see at this point. he will have to have a great camp. but so does terrell. i think the 4th spot comes down to these two, with terrell being the early front runner. marshall could end up being a TE (its happened before), but i dont see it this year. his safety experience should mean he is able to contribute on coverage teams, so i see him getting the 5th spot.

hixon i think will be a 6th reciever. we dont usually carry 6, but i see hixon as more of a special teamer ace early in his career. has good speed and size as well as safety experience, so he could be a gunner on coverage teams. also has return abilities to give darrent a rest. if he shows something in the return department, i think he will have a spot, but wont see any action as a WR for at least a couple of years, imo.

i dont see devoe or adams being back. anything is possible, but i dont see shanny drafting 2 WRs if he felt either of these guys were in his long-term plans. adams is the dark horse to make it if hixon doesnt show anything in the return department. but looking at the situation months out from camp, id be pretty surprised if either made the team. but who knows.

so i see it like this:

rod
    javon
    lelie (if he's back. if not, bump terrel up to 3 and perhaps watts sticks around)
    terrell
    marshall

hixon as a special teamer.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by LiquidBlue
    I could be wrong but, wasn't because his aquisition was at a certain time he had to be on the practice squad for the rest of the season?
    No, he wasn't eligible for the practice squad. He was simply on our inactive list for most of the season.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by Jared
    Maybe because he hasn't earned them?

I could see a late pick up at QB needing some time to learn the playbook, but a WR?

Since he doesn't do special teams, it's basically #3 or nothing for him.

And unless Lelie is traded (which no other team seems to want to do), or becomes a problem player (so far, he's been quiet and doing his thing) I don't see how he falls out of the top 3.

The only thing I can see to get Terrell in the top 3 is Rod Smith saying "I'll demote myself to 4 and play special teams, if it means a Super Bowl ring"

I don't see that as likely either, do you? He's a great team guy, but he's better than a #3 and he knows it.
    Look, I've not been in Terrell's corner. When they got him I questioned the move and said he was useless in Chicago and will be in Denver. Certainly nothing he did last year changed that.

But, SHANAHAN just said a couple of weeks ago that they were pleased with Terrell and that he thought he could be the #3 WR this season. He's probably not lying about that.

Notice he didn't say that about Watts! Or Adams, or Devoe or any other scrub.

Rookies aren't going to start at WR (says Shanahan not a week ago). So Marshall is out as #3WR. And the other scrubs will probably never make it anyway.

So, who's going to be in the WR set? Either Lelie or Terrell. They're not bringing in Walker for a 2nd round pick to have him lanuguish at the #3 WR spot.

Lelie may be traded or he may sulk or he may be in Shanahan's dog-house or he may simply not be the right sort for a #3 WR.

A #3 WR is supposed to find an open spot on the field on 3rd and long and catch the ball, maybe make a few extra yards to ensure a 1st down and get off the field. Lelie's problem has been in the short-medium passing game where he lacks strenght and moves to break the jam and get open consistently. He excels in long pass plays where he can use his straight speed to get away from defenders and then come back to the ball and use his hand skills. He's made many circus catches but all too often he gets muscled off the ball in traffic and he's not great over the middle.

Doesn't sound like the ideal #3 WR does it?

The Broncos run the ball a lot and don't use 3 WR sets that much except in long yardage. So, that's unlikely to change.

Now Terrell is a big WR with great hands. He's been undisiplined in the past and hasn't impressed anyone. Basically his problem as he admitted has been a lack of maturity and taking things for granted. Now that he's not doing that and he's had a chance to have a training camp and pre-season to evaluate his ability we'll see. Her certainly has the physical tools to be a top WR in the NFL if he were 1/2 as dedicated as Rod Smith (which he may never be).

But, Watts is almost certainly gone now that 3 new WRs are coming in and Devoe or Adams or both will be gone too (depending on whether Hixon or Hickenlooper or whatever pans out as a ST player).

So, what's left?

1. Rod
    2. Javon
    3. Ashlie or Terrell
    4. Terrell or Ashlie
    5. Maybe Marshall, maybe Watts, maybe one of the other scrubs.

Leave a comment:

• DiehardinAlaska
    replied
    Originally posted by topscribe
    I have this wierd feeling that Terrell is going to give Lelie a run for his money.

They both can get down the field, but Terrell will go across the middle, too.

Something Lelie apparently dreads.

-----
    Yeh I've been thinking since near the end of last year that he would surprise us this year. Our starting WRs in 07 could be Walker and Terrel!

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by jam1369
    I think only Rod and Javon are locks to make the final roster. Javon will get plenty of time to get his knee in shape, and learn the system.

As for the rest....let the games begin.

Good call.

I think that's a fair assessment.

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by topscribe
    I have this wierd feeling that Terrell is going to give Lelie a run for his money.

They both can get down the field, but Terrell will go across the middle, too.

Something Lelie apparently dreads.

-----
    I want Terrell to succeed. That only makes the team better.

But if he doesn't make it a #3 or #4, is there a place for him on the team?

He and Lelie are now battling for the same job, and I think Marshall could easily end up #4. Watts I think, is done for sure, though. So, I think whoever doesn't make #3 is looking at getting cut, not demoted. Simply because I don't see either as being a great return guy on special teams.

Leave a comment:

• jam1369
    replied
    I think only Rod and Javon are locks to make the final roster. Javon will get plenty of time to get his knee in shape, and learn the system.

As for the rest....let the games begin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X