Friendly Reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friendly Reminder

Before you have a meltdown because of how big of a "reach" you think a certain pick was, just remember...

You, nor I, are "in the know." We don't know how the FO views their current roster. Maybe Shanny likes that Majondo-Mwamba guy. Maybe they actually are expecting guys like Hamza Abdullah and Brandon Browner to contribute. Maybe all the reports of Denver "absolutely" taking a RB was just huge smokescreen so they could get players like Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil, and they're actually comfortable going with a guy like Cedric Cobbs as the 3rd stringer/project back.

Also remember, picks that you deem as "reaches" may have been made at their respective slot because of interest from other teams. Maybe they got an indication that NE was going to take Hixon at 136? Maybe the Rams were going to take Scheffler right after Denver at pick 68?

So, before you spout off and piss someone else off, just try to step back and gain some perspective. Ask, "now why would they do that?" Try to answer that question...

Yep I agree for the most part. Good advice WAB.

Brandon Browner and Cedric Cobbs is expected to play important roles for Denver this year.

Acquiring Cobbs last year was a steal. He'll shine once healthy.
    Emancipate your mind!
    The People's Poster

Comment

Also, I think the worst thing to do is go heavy in draft magazine value charts, since those are published long before new insights and pro days.

For instance, Marshall is downgraded in several mags because he is a bog receiver with slow speed, but since publication, he has become a huge receiver with good speed (4.54) which is backed up when looking at the film of Marshall. So in actuality, he moved into round 2-4, when most mags pegged him in 6-7.

Oh, and don't get me started about a certain free draft site and his commentary...

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoKoolAid
        Oh, and don't get me started about a certain free draft site and his commentary...
        Har har.......

Comment

Bump is needed...

Comment

Also, I think the worst thing to do is go heavy in draft magazine value charts, since those are published long before new insights and pro days.

For instance, Marshall is downgraded in several mags because he is a bog receiver with slow speed, but since publication, he has become a huge receiver with good speed (4.54) which is backed up when looking at the film of Marshall. So in actuality, he moved into round 2-4, when most mags pegged him in 6-7.

Just because the guy can run 4.54 in shorts and a t-shirt, doesn't mean he can run fast in kit. If he looked slow on tape, it's because he's slow. Film don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Britrock
              Just because the guy can run 4.54 in shorts and a t-shirt, doesn't mean he can run fast in kit. If he looked slow on tape, it's because he's slow. Film don't lie.
              And apparently, you haven't seen the film. He plays very fast for his size, but scouts were worried about his timed speed, believed to be in the 4.74 range. That all changed by his offseason time in the 4.5's, WHICH IS BACKED UP ON FILM.

So yes, you are right, the film doesn't lie, this was a blossoming talent with the chance to be a real steal.

Comment

Originally posted by Britrock
                Why should we get excited about Marshall?

What's he got that Watts didn't?

Or a bunch of other guys: Triandos Luke, Herb Haygood, Kevin Kaspar, Adrian Madise, just to name the most recent failures over the last 5 years.

All were later round picks (with the exception of Watts who SHOULD have been a later rounder but Shanahan desparately reached about 2 rounds too early).

And all were "prospects" with "great upside potential" IF they could develop their God given talent. Only they didn't.

Most don't. Most such prospects never actually make it and become starters. And in a couple of years they are replaced with other similar players. Just the way Adams and Devoe are being replaced by Marshall and Hixon now.

Now Marshall and/or Hixon might make it. Stranger things have happened.

But, let's not go overboard about the potential of later round WR picks and forget about the recent past.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                  Before you have a meltdown because of how big of a "reach" you think a certain pick was, just remember...

You, nor I, are "in the know." We don't know how the FO views their current roster. Maybe Shanny likes that Majondo-Mwamba guy. Maybe they actually are expecting guys like Hamza Abdullah and Brandon Browner to contribute. Maybe all the reports of Denver "absolutely" taking a RB was just huge smokescreen so they could get players like Brandon Marshall and Elvis Dumervil, and they're actually comfortable going with a guy like Cedric Cobbs as the 3rd stringer/project back.

Also remember, picks that you deem as "reaches" may have been made at their respective slot because of interest from other teams. Maybe they got an indication that NE was going to take Hixon at 136? Maybe the Rams were going to take Scheffler right after Denver at pick 68?

So, before you spout off and piss someone else off, just try to step back and gain some perspective. Ask, "now why would they do that?" Try to answer that question...

Great analogy WABronco, good FO drafts based on a human beings overall person, i.e.
                  character, work ethic, dameanor, inteligence, diligence.

Sure stats are a nice overview of what the player has achieved, but they dont define a player by any means.
                  Players like young, leinhart COULD be doomed from the get go because of the teams they go to, albeit the titans are a good franchise
                  and the cardinals look like they are making strides, its more about the point of collegiate players coming from GREAT organizations and being drafted to very poor nfl organizations.
                  As alwats all of this is IMHO.
                  I am football, I am fan, bronco fan i am.

throwback sig by snk16

My Game Day at the studio

Comment

I bought 3 of them.
                    1) ESPN NFL draft guide- ohhh Mel Kiper and Scouts INC. This mag was the worst of the 3.

2) Sporting News Pro Footaball Draft- Their analysis on the top prospects seem more detailed, but some of their rankings seemed way off

3) Pro Football Weekly 2006 Draft- not bad. their analysis was pretty similar to everyone elses out there.

All 3 mags had some wild differences in the early to mid round rankings. I noticed it in playing some of the draft games. I tried to balance the 3 mags in making my value chart, but I could see a huge difference in what I was using and what everyone else was using.
                    You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Working...
                    X