No announcement yet.

Grade the Broncos Draft, Overall--Days 1 & 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first day of the draft was exciting and rated a B+ to an A-.
    We got serious talent on the first day and they say Sheffler is a pass catching TE but has alot of upside overall and now that he does not play Baseball anymore, he can hit the weights. Fastest in most of the short drills which means he is quick. Needs work on route running.

The second day was an A grade. It would have been an A+ if we could have gotten Bloom instead of Hixen. I will closer at what he can do but bloom could have helped immediatly in special teams. I like the DE we got in Dumervil for the pass rush situational player at this point in the draft. He has the disruptive instint and can create fumbles as well as sack, which he lead the nation in both stats.

Overall draft grade for the 06 year is an A.

Overall offseason so far has been an A-. I hated losing Pryce and Anderson though.

Now, What UDFA can we sign in the next week. GOOD YEAR overall.

Cheers .
    Broncos forever!! :clap:
    \

Me and my daughter, Christmas eve 2006

My wife and my daughter, same game against the Bengals.

:wave:

Comment

A- Grade = Great draft

I voted A and would actually give this draft an A- grade. I'm very excited and agree with almost every pick. The FO did a great job.

Cutler is a guy who will be our futer QB and is well worth the move up to grab him. Yes he will sit behind Plummer for a year or two but what a luxury to be able to do this. He will be able to learn the system and will not have a ton of pressure on him to perform right away. He can gain familiarity with his lineman, backs and receivers and learn how best to be that team leader that the QB needs to be.

I love that he is in the weight room lifting with the lineman. He most likely will be a great QB as long as he is wise with his time.

The Javon Walker trade was a huge need and even though I would've liked to get him for #61 instead of #37 I'm ecstatic to have him in Denver. He had the knee injury and some will compare their knee injury with his but he is in the NFL that has a lot more money and interest to rehab him correctly. His knee will be ready to go. He’ll have to work through some mental issues but other have been able to recover and do well so we will have to wait and see how he is able to recover mentally. With him playing WR he doesn’t take as much punishment as most other positions so I think he will recover well both mentally and physically.

I have to suspend judgment on the TE choice. He is compared to Jeb and looks like he is more of a project. I would’ve liked Denver to have been able to make the trade with GB with the 61st pick instead of the 37th and then taken Joe Klopfenstein. But hey, he looks like he will be a good player for Denver and I’ll wait to see what he can do.

The Brandon Marshal and Elvis Dumervil picks were great value and both have potential to be very good players for years.

The only pick I question is the Domenik Hixon in the fourth. I would’ve liked to see us address safety here with maybe Blue or OL like Scott the tackle from Texas or O’Callaghan from Cal. I also didn’t see the need for another WR pick. We have the return guys so I think that argument is lacking. But who knows, maybe he’ll be a diamond in the rough. I hope!

The other two OL picks were great and bring some youth to an aging group. Nalen has another couple years and Eslinger will be ready to step in at that time. We also have Chris Meyer who could step in or move to guard.

Overall great draft! Next year will be a lot of fun!

Comment

This is one of the few years Denver has made the most out of the picks they started with. I can't recall this much wheeling and dealing on our part.

Cutler is obviously the star choice, and will probably be the franchise QB of the future. I will really be bummed if he turns into another Maddox fiasco, but I remain optimistic.

As for the rest like in years past only time will tell. I have faith in the coaching staff, and can't wait for camp to start.
        As the world changes rational people will change with it. Only the zealots, and fundamentalists resist change. God save us from them.

Comment

Originally posted by jam1369
          This is one of the few years Denver has made the most out of the picks they started with. I can't recall this much wheeling and dealing on our part.

Cutler is obviously the star choice, and will probably be the franchise QB of the future. I will really be bummed if he turns into another Maddox fiasco, but I remain optimistic.

As for the rest like in years past only time will tell. I have faith in the coaching staff, and can't wait for camp to start.

I don't see him being another Maddox but I can understand the fear.

Comment

I would say a C.

Eslinger fills a need.

That TE that was picked fills a need.

I'm not sold on the Cutler pick. Not sold at all.
            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

i gave it a C, i still don't get the boner everyone has for Jay Cutler i mean i understand he is a possible franchise quarterback...but paying him big bucks to sit the bench for a couple years and also giving up a very high 3rd round selection(where the value in this draft was) im not sure it was worth it for a team that is on the brink of the Super Bowl right now. should have gone DT at 11 if we were going to trade up. Bunkley is a fantastic player.

Made by Snk16

Comment

best pick Greg Eslinger rd 6

had him slated to go at 68 before we lost that pick

Made by Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
                  It was a very strong B draft...

Besides Cutler (and Walker of course) that has a chance to become an absolute superstar, but all possesions were filled and mostly smart picks made. Pope should have been taken over Sheffler and Harris would have been a great pick to put next to Warren.

If you guys found a way to work in Harris for Dumervile or Greg Blue for Hixon i think you would have had an A draft
                  We took Sheffler over Pope because he's a long-snapper.
                  "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
                  - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
                  - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
                  - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

Comment

Originally posted by TheChampion
                    i gave it a C, i still don't get the boner everyone has for Jay Cutler i mean i understand he is a possible franchise quarterback...but paying him big bucks to sit the bench for a couple years and also giving up a very high 3rd round selection(where the value in this draft was) im not sure it was worth it for a team that is on the brink of the Super Bowl right now. should have gone DT at 11 if we were going to trade up. Bunkley is a fantastic player.
                    I too was a little confused by the move to get Cutler. But the more I thought about it it started to make more sence. We got a QB who is more "ready" than anyone we would have gotten in later rounds and we got him outside of the top 10 picks (relatively cheap). Not only is he going to be a viable backup (finally we have one) but he gets to sit and learn (like Palmer in Cinci). His true value, however, for the next season ( or 2, or 3) will be that he's going to push Jake. I don't think that Jake has ever given less than his best, but BVP was no threat and Jake didn't really have to push all that hard to stay ahead. Now Jake's going to be looking over his shoulder at a young kid with many of his same abilities and a stronger arm. Jake's going to have to really push to keep the rookie off his back for 2 or 3 seasons, and that will hopefully lead to stronger QB play for the team. Who knows, Jake might be the next Breese!
                    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
                    - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
                    - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
                    - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

Comment

Originally posted by HORSEPOWER 56
                      I give it a solid B. I really thought putting a DT like Babatunde or Wright (still available in the late 4th or 5th) next to Warren would've been great. My only objection is that we only spent one pick on D-line (our achilles heel) and two picks on O-line (a strength). I know depth on the O-line is important, but we could actually use a real starting DT to go alongside Warren.
                      I agree 100 percent..also gave a B grade and was kind of hoping they might take a gamble on Wright.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

I give us an A, it would have been a A+ if we would have traded our later 2nd for Javon, and drafted Kloptenstein at 37.
                        Adopted Athlete: Leone Battista Alberti

Claim to Fame: I met the Man who met Andy Griffith

Comment

I give the draft an A. I must say this is the most excited after a draft that I have been in years.

Cutler - Loved the pick, when else is Denver going to be in a position to secure it's future like this again.

J. Walker- absolute steal for only a 2nd rounder. I was afraid this wasn't going to happen because we heard so much about it ( TO).

TE- Wait and see, I like his numbers.

4th round- I am excited about both of the wr's. Baby To is intresting because of the size. The more I read about Hixon the more he intrigues me. I like the fact that he is a returner because lets face it we dont need Williams getting hurt returning kicks. I also like the fact that he played safety for two years. Maybe Denver is thinking about turning him back into a FS. If so we at least know he is fast enough and can catch.

Dumerville- Finally somebody drafted on production ( 20 sacks) over combine numbers. Can't argue with his results.

O Lineman- Dont know much about the guard but love Eslinger pick. Honestly I wanted us to take him in the 4th and then the 5th round for fear we might lose him. To get him in the 6th is an absolute steal.
                          Last edited by pdt2505; 05-01-2006, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X