Domenik Hixon 6'2 200 4.36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pope, a good blocker?

The NFL.com site had this to say "He does not attack the defender consistently on in-line run blocks, which allows aggressive defenders to defeat his block and make/disrupt the play." I have read other evaluations about Pope and his height is a disadvantage when related to blocking abilities. I don't know who started the "great blocker" idea, but it is not accurate. Pope is inconsistent and is not a good run blocking tight end. Those reasons probably account for his drop into the 3rd round.

Another statement, "not well scouted" makes little sense. How would you know about how well the Broncos have scouted a specific player? Denver has made many exceptional late round finds due to their scouting staff. I think you need to rephrase your statement into something you know about. I can guarantee that the Broncos scouted Hixon prior to drafting him. To not have studied his abilities would be irresponsible. Kinda like your "not well scouted" comment.

Comment

I just talked to a friend out in Ohio, where Hixson is from...so it's not from a source or anything, just someone who has followed his college career.

He said the guy is great, very multi-dimensional. Can play WR, DB and special teams.

Not much, just thought I would throw this in here.

Ready for the friggen season already!

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
        Now why do i have to have a fact that says he cant play but i have to accept your guys opinions that he can play?
        I never said you had to agree, I just said that right now the only thing anyone has to go off of is speculation... So you can speculate all you want, but unless you had some facts, then your posts are exactly what everyone elses is... Speculation. I never said you had to agree, like, or even care about our opinions... Just thought it didn't make much sense calling someone a homer because they like the pick.

That's all.
        God Bless D. Williams and D. Nash. May their family and friends find peace in knowing that they were both truly loved by all. And they shall never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by West
          Just an opinion my friend. I like Nixon's attributes and the way he plays the game. I except big things from him.
          No, I know. I just think that's a pretty optimistic and hopeful statement.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

As a Browns fan, it pains me to be here.

BUT ANYWAY, I'm the editor of the Univ. of Akron paper, the Buchtelite. In the past couple of years we've done several stories on Domenik. I can tell you from a lot of first-hand experience that you guys got a heck of a player. But even better, you got a really great guy. Hixon is a family first person and is (oddly) always grinning.

I was hoping the Browns could get him in the fifth or sixth, but after they snagged Travis Wilson, it wasn't happening.

Hixon's best immediate asset for you guys will be his ability to cover and return on kickoffs and punts. Eventually, I can really see him becoming a solid No. 3 receiver. Oh, and don't listen to those people that are saying his route running isn't all that great. While it may need a little adjusting, he runs some good, crisp routes. And don't let the fact that he ran a 4.36 40 make you think he is a soft player. He's tough and loves to hit.

Here are a couple more stories about Hixon:

http://www.buchtelite.com/2006/0314/sports_05.shtml
            http://www.buchtelite.com/2005/1020/sports_05.shtml

Hopefully we'll be talking with Domenik today.

Dan Kadar
            Editor in Chief
            The Buchtelite
            www.buchtelite.com

Comment

Originally posted by dankadar

BUT ANYWAY, I'm the editor of the Univ. of Akron paper, the Buchtelite. In the past couple of years we've done several stories on Domenik. I can tell you from a lot of first-hand experience that you guys got a heck of a player. But even better, you got a really great guy. Hixon is a family first person and is (oddly) always grinning.

I was hoping the Browns could get him in the fifth or sixth, but after they snagged Travis Wilson, it wasn't happening.

Hixon's best immediate asset for you guys will be his ability to cover and return on kickoffs and punts. Eventually, I can really see him becoming a solid No. 3 receiver. Oh, and don't listen to those people that are saying his route running isn't all that great. While it may need a little adjusting, he runs some good, crisp routes. And don't let the fact that he ran a 4.36 40 make you think he is a soft player. He's tough and loves to hit.

Dan Kadar
              Editor in Chief
              The Buchtelite
              www.buchtelite.com
              All right! Thanks!

Comment

I found these tidbits about Hixon.

http://blogs.ohio.com/rasor/2006/04/index.html

If you scroll down a bit, you'll find this little known fact:

Zips coach J.D. Brookhart worked under Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.
                Hmmmmmm...interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangePeel
                  im not trying to blow this out of proportion or start a flame war either

the thing with scheffler is, this will be the first year he is fully commited to football. His blocking potential is UNBELIEVABLE, with his frame at 6'5, and 264. He could equal or pass the blocking ability of Pope, but not immedietley. Scheffler is a more enticing prospect to me than Pope is, even though the leaping ability of Pope surpasses Scheffler. It really is a a toss up, and shouldnt let the grade of this draft change, they are near equals in terms of potential IMO.

Harris has major durability concerns, and consistency issues. Is a very streaky player, and i am not bothered at all that we passed on him.
                  Agreed, Sheffler has a good body for a TE, but idk if he will use it right.
                  I didnt know he hasnt been 100% committed to football that might change a little bit but as of right now we have no clue yet...

AS for Pope not being a good blocker.... Pope is a much better blocker than Sheffler was or any of the other later TE's besides possibly Dominique Byrd. He may not be great but he could block
                  Club Leader: Robert Griffin III > Andrew Luck

^^^Get used to it.^^^

Comment

Originally posted by dankadar

Dan Kadar
                    Editor in Chief
                    The Buchtelite
                    www.buchtelite.com
                    Welcome to the boards!

Thank you for your contribution and the stories, and I hope you come back!

-----

Comment

Originally posted by The|Snake#16
                      No, I know. I just think that's a pretty optimistic and hopeful statement.
                      I think its one of my few optimistic comments of the offseason! I'm more of a pessimistic kind of person!

Comment

Originally posted by GridironChamp
                        I didnt know he hasnt been 100% committed to football that might change a little bit but as of right now we have no clue yet...

AS for Pope not being a good blocker.... Pope is a much better blocker than Sheffler was or any of the other later TE's besides possibly Dominique Byrd. He may not be great but he could block
                        Pope sucks at blocking, and he lacks a physical nature. He has shown little to no desire to become a good blocker either...

Byrd's a good blocker too? My my...

Good point. But, I bet he uses his body well for many other things...such as snow angels and body painting.

Hey, when you're good enough to play two sports, then what the heck?

But, like Rod Wright, I've heard he plans to use his bonus money as capital for a new hair salon-products line...like that Jonathan guy on Bravo. You know what I'm talking about here? He'll make a TV show, and no one can call him anything other than his first name...Tony. He'll go on that corny ass QVC show and everything. You'll see...
                        Last edited by WABronco; 05-01-2006, 04:33 PM.

Comment

i cant find the article on The rocky but they say nixon is arguebly the best run blocking wide out in the draft he runs a 4.36 if i remember right .. i dont know how well he catches or runs routes but.. west y could be right he could be the best wideout selected this draft
                          The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                          While he sits by his hearth at home.
                          Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                          That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Hey GridironChamp,

Don't confuse excitement with homerism

I think if you went to any team board you would be reading the same things up to and including the Chiefs board(btw love the Croyle pick)

I like a lot of others on this board love the potential of Denver's draft...Yes there are were other players I would have liked to have had,but these are the players the FO in Denver has chosen and they are the players that I now support.

Is it blind loyalty?...YOUR DAMN RIGHT IT IS!!!!!!

I'm a Bronco fan and always will be

Comment

Working...
                            X