Jadjarhd's Draft Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jadjarhd's Draft Analysis

My analysis of our draft priorities before the draft was like most. I felt we needed to do something at reciever, DT, and OG. At reciever, I wanted someone who could start. At Guard I wanted someone to provide depth. At DT I wanted someone who could push Myers and Veal for a starting job but at least provide better depth. I also wanted a Safety.

The picks:

1)Jay Cutler - QB. I was not happy with this pick, but I am warming to it. I really wanted a DT with this pick and there were good ones available. But after thinking about it I realized that like most fans, I had come to take Plummer's durability for granted. Cutler is a similar QB to Plummer. Thus he, like BVP, could step in for an injuried Plummer without having to make changes to the offense. We had no luck the last two years bringing in an experienced backup. Now we won't have to. So this pick provides needed depth now, and a QB of the future. It may also provide a QB contaversy in 1-3 years from now. Someone who should be happy is Van Pelt. There is a good chance that this pick means the Broncos will keep him on the roster for a long time as he is a logical backup for both Plummer and Cutler.

2)Trade for Javon Walker. This was a great move as long as Walker is healthy and the Broncos can sign him for the long haul. Denver had a chance to give him a physical which seemed to work out. I am not sure what his contract status is. If we can't sign him, he can still help us with the remaining season on his contract. If Walker returns to his 2004 form, he and Smith make a formidable recieving duo. If Lelei stays, he becomes a very dangerous third reciever. If Lelie does not stay, we have still upgraded our passing game.

2)Tony Scheffler - TE. We needed a TE but I am not sure this is the right guy. He can pass catch and runs in the middle fine. But according to scouts, he lacks power and needs to bulk up. This means he won't be likely to break tackles after catching the ball. Worse, it impacts his ability to block. I don't expect Scheffler to unseat Alexander anytime soon. And the second round is not really a good place to pick a TE project when you still desperately need a DT. Note: We are now carrying seven TEs on the roster.

4) Brandon Marshall and Dominick Hixon - WRs. These picks ought to be a signal that the Broncos are still looking to unload Lelie. These guys bring the number of WRs on the roster to ten. You have to figure Smith and Walker to start. Lelei may or may not be the third reciever. But after that, these two will be duking it out with Adams, Devoe, Terrell, and Watts to stay on the team. It also probably means that Kircus is going to get cut early. I don't expect both Hixon and Marshall to make the team.

4)Elvis Dumervil - DE. Dumervil brings the number of DEs on the team to 10. He lacks the size to help at DT and may even be a candidate for a switch to LB. A natural athlete, Dumervil will have to be a special teams standout to make the team. He is more of a Kieth Burns than a potential DL standout.

5)Chris Kuper - OG. The kid from my hometown finally addresses the Broncos need at guard. He also has a good chance of making the team. Might someday develop into a starter, but at the very least can add some depth. I would have liked to see a more solid prospect picked at this position, but it might not actually be neccesary.

6)Greg Eslinger - C. This might have been out smartest pick in the entire draft. Eslinger fits the Bronco mold as a quick, smart offensive lineman. In addition, he played in a zone blocking scheme in school. What this does for us is provide a quality backup for Nalen. This means that Hamilton does not have to backup the older center and therefore can stay at guard.

To sum up:
    We addressed our need for a backup QB.
    We addressed our need for a quality reciever.
    We did not address our need for a quality TE.
    We addressed our need for depth on the O-line. (Although if one of our starting guards goes down, we will have problems.)
    We did nothing to help our lack of depth at DT. (This will haunt us in the regular season.)
    We did nothing to address our need for depth at Safety.

We also did nothing at CB, LB, or RB. But we had no glaring needs there.

Overall I have a good feeling about this draft despite my misgivings about Scheffler and Dumervil. In addition to Walker I think we picked three guys who will definitly be on the active roster this year(Cutler, Kuper, Eslinger). We also brought in two that will be in the mix(Marshall, Hixon), and two more projects that we will know more about after training camp.(Scheffler, Dumerville.)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "…our brothers are silent, for they dare not speak the thoughts of their minds. For all must agree with all, and they cannot know if their thoughts are the thoughts of all, and so they fear to speak."

Anthem

we got a good TE and if one of our guards goes down we got a backup in the draft so ya
    "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

I agree saftey unless he is going to do somthing else regarding that.

TE - I had no clue who this guy was untill reading up on him he looks like a huge still.

He's going to bulk up I am sure about it.

He does probably have the best work ethic out of TE's (not including VD guys)

I love these picks

good job with your opinion. I love these picks. A- (dont award A+, would be an A if we could of had a S instead of Hixon... but I am sure he did that for a reason... so I change it to A LOL)

Comment

disclaimer.

I should note, I have never seen any of these guys play. My opinions are based on the analysis of scouts at NFL.com and ESPN.com and Foxsports.
        "…our brothers are silent, for they dare not speak the thoughts of their minds. For all must agree with all, and they cannot know if their thoughts are the thoughts of all, and so they fear to speak."

Anthem

Comment

I actually think that both Kuper and Eslinger will be on the practice squad. Broncos Oline picks never see the field the first season. Even last year when we put Chris Meyers on the active roster he never played (we only put him there because another team wanted to sign him). At least to start, then, they both go to the PS.

Scheffler I think makes it to the active roster, as a backup. I think Nate Jackson will battle out the 3rd TE spot with Wesely Duke, but one of them will be cut. Leach is just long snapping.

Dumerville could go active roster or practice squad. We probably keep 8 defensive lineman on active roster, and with only 3 DT there will be 5 spots for DE (maybe someone can slide into DT in a pinch). Courtney Brown and Ebenezur Ekuban get the starting nod. We activate 3 of the following: Dumerville, Corey Jackson, Kenard Lang, John Engleberger. If Dumerville does well, he makes the active roster and I think either Jackson or Engleberger get cut (no more PS eligibility). Otherwise it's to the PS with him.

Van Pelt, in all likelihood goes back to the PS with the addition of Cutler (we never carry 3 active QBs).

Marshall, I think makes the active roster as the 4th or 5th reciever (may not be activated for all games). He's the 5th reciever if any of the others show us something amazing, otherwise he's the 4th. I think any veteran reciever on the roster not named Lelie, Smith, or Walker, are competing for at most 1 spot (unless Lelie is moved). Hixon makes the active roster if he shows the staff he can return kicks; otherwise, it's to the practice squad.

Thus, the only picks I think without a real chance of making the active roster are Kuper and Eslinger. Every other pick has a chance to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoDefense
            I actually think that both Kuper and Eslinger will be on the practice squad. Broncos Oline picks never see the field the first season. Even last year when we put Chris Meyers on the active roster he never played (we only put him there because another team wanted to sign him). At least to start, then, they both go to the PS.

Scheffler I think makes it to the active roster, as a backup. I think Nate Jackson will battle out the 3rd TE spot with Wesely Duke, but one of them will be cut. Leach is just long snapping.

Dumerville could go active roster or practice squad. We probably keep 8 defensive lineman on active roster, and with only 3 DT there will be 5 spots for DE (maybe someone can slide into DT in a pinch). Courtney Brown and Ebenezur Ekuban get the starting nod. We activate 3 of the following: Dumerville, Corey Jackson, Kenard Lang, John Engleberger. If Dumerville does well, he makes the active roster and I think either Jackson or Engleberger get cut (no more PS eligibility). Otherwise it's to the PS with him.

Van Pelt, in all likelihood goes back to the PS with the addition of Cutler (we never carry 3 active QBs).

Marshall, I think makes the active roster as the 4th or 5th reciever (may not be activated for all games). He's the 5th reciever if any of the others show us something amazing, otherwise he's the 4th. I think any veteran reciever on the roster not named Lelie, Smith, or Walker, are competing for at most 1 spot (unless Lelie is moved). Hixon makes the active roster if he shows the staff he can return kicks; otherwise, it's to the practice squad.

Thus, the only picks I think without a real chance of making the active roster are Kuper and Eslinger. Every other pick has a chance to get there.
            You're forgetting that a week ago David Terrell was touted by Shanahan as the leading candidate to be the #3 WR, which means he'll be battling it out with Lelie for that role in the pre-season if Lelie is back.

Terrell might very well win that battle. He's a lot bigger and stronger than Lelie. He doesn't have the explosive speed and deep threat ability of Lelie, but that's not the #3 WR role. That deep threat will now be Javon Walker. The #3 WR is just supposed to make the 1st down catch over the middle and in traffic and get off the field.

Meanwhile Lelie will have to improve his pass-catching skills over the middle (Not exactly his strong suit) to win the #3 job.

Of course, Terrell might show nothing in the pre-season and get cut, but that's how it stands now.

Lelie is certainly the loser by the Walker trade which is why he wanted to be traded.
            sigpic

Comment

I agree that if someone comes out and outplays Lelie for the #3 then they will get the slot. I think that's true of almost any position. I guess I just don't see David Terrell outshining Lelie. He may be good enough to make the team as the #4, but I don't give him much of a chance in unseating Lelie. However, if he comes in and plays great, I'll be very happy. In that case, though, I couldn't see us paying Lelie 1st round money to be a #4--he'd get cut first.

Also, given that Lelie stretches the field well, in 3 reciever sets, we could move Rod to the slot (who runs short and intemediat routes very well, and causes mismatch problems) and put Lelie and Walker outside. The third reciever doesn't have to play the slot.
              Last edited by BroncoDefense; 04-30-2006, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JADJARHD
                I should note, I have never seen any of these guys play. My opinions are based on the analysis of scouts at NFL.com and ESPN.com and Foxsports.
                Understanbable...

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Dumervil. He's a DE. He's not a good enough athlete to play LB in a 4-3 scheme, IMO. He uses his hands very well and seems to play with decent leverage. I would also say that he's a polished pass rusher, who I think could eventually become a contributor. He may be good for 5 or 6 sacks next year too as a part time edge rusher.

He should make the roster regardless of how many DE's we're presently carrying.
                Lang and Dumervil should play similar roles, and the rest of the rotation is filled out by Jackson, Brown, Engelberger, and Ekuban.

I also think that Tony Scheffler is an excellent choice. He's got some serious size for a guy who runs 4.5. He's a threat down the seam as well as in the redzone. He wasn't brought in to block, lets get that out of the way. He was brought in to replace and even exceed Jeb's production. Alexander remains as our blocking TE, with Duke (who also seemed to be a competent blocker in his small amount of PT last year) and Scheffler competing for playing time.\

Regarding Lelie, I just can't picture him as the 3rd receiver. He's much to frail and gunshy to be manning the slot IMO. Perhaps Lelie could be swapped for an interior defensive lineman?

Comment

Maybe One.

I could see Kuper or Eslinger going to the practice squad but not both. I don't think Bilba or Whitley make the team, so I am guessing that after the starters we have Hunt, Myers, Kuper, and Eslinger.

While Hunt has more experience, Eslinger and Kuper have more promise. I think Hunt is gone and Myers is the number three guard. (Although that could be switched. Than either Eslinger or Kuper (If not both) make the active roster.

My money is on Eslinger making the active roster. He could do some special teams and can backup Nalen, letting Myers backup Hamilton and Carlisle. If Eslinger does not make the active roster, then Hamilton backs up Nalen, and other guards back up Hamilton. It just makes more sense to keep Eslinger (assuming he works out the way the scouts expect) on the active roster. But he will not see one offensive snap as long as Nalen is healthy.

Anthem

Comment

Working...
                  X