Draft for the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft for the future

This draft was about the future of this club. Jay Cutler is the franchise quarterback. Now what we did in the rest of this draft was build round him. By bringing in Javon Walker and drafting two wide receivers and a pass catching tightend is to give Cutler weapons. Also drafting two linemen is two protect him in the future. Drafting DE Elvis Dumervil filled a need that we needed now.

I think the roles of the players of this years draft will be like this:

Cutler- franchise quarterback for years to come

Scheffler- a big and fast (4.54 40) pas catching tightend to take pressure off the receivers.

Walker- Giving Cutler The vetern wide receiver (like Rod Smith is for Jake Plummer).

Marshall- The big target down the field and in the red zone.

Dumervil- gives us the pass rushing DE now

Hixon- gives Cutler The receiver that can stretch the field (ran the 40 in a 4.36 at his proday)

Kuper- he's a tall guard (6'4) that can move (5.19 40). may play tackle in the future

Eslinger- a center that knows our system already. is to take over for Nalen when he retires.

This draft was based around Jay Cutler so that he would have weapons and protect in the future. Good drafting Broncos

thats actually a good analyisis
    cp to ya
    "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

hate to be negative but chances are only 2 or 3 guys from the draft are on are team in 4 years. So which do you see?

I think Eslingberger and maybe Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by tantevasquez
        hate to be negative but chances are only 2 or 3 guys from the draft are on are team in 4 years. So which do you see?

Thank you very much. I am so sick of this Jay Cutler better than Jake bull5hit, selecting for cutler, Cutler this cutler that. Jake is our man and The QB to take us into the future.
        SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighStud
          Thank you very much. I am so sick of this Jay Cutler better than Jake bull5hit, selecting for cutler, Cutler this cutler that. Jake is our man and The QB to take us into the future.

Jake may be your man for the future, which means you wont be a Bronco fan in 1-2 yrs, but Jake certainly isnt my man.
          I'm sick of all these guys whining that life isnt fair for Jake. If Jake IS the man, then Cutler will never beat him out, but we all know that just isnt going to happen, Jake isnt good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighStud

how can he be the future QB when he wont be in the league for to much longer.....wut mayb 3-4 years at max
            "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Welcome aboard, DJ. It's always good to add another fan to the boards. Love your enthusiasm, but if this draft is, as you say, "about the future", what does that say about "the present"? Drafting Cutler = Giving up on Jake? Drafting Scheffler = Giving up on Duke? Getting Walker = Giving up on Lelie? Dubbing Eslinger as Nalen's replacement = Giving up on Hamilton as back-up center? I think we panicked in this draft. Instead of addressing the area of direst need (D-line), it looks like we're "rebuilding" a team that was just one game away from the Super Bowl last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sevenis7
                Welcome aboard, DJ. It's always good to add another fan to the boards. Love your enthusiasm, but if this draft is, as you say, "about the future", what does that say about "the present"? Drafting Cutler = Giving up on Jake? Drafting Scheffler = Giving up on Duke? Getting Walker = Giving up on Lelie? Dubbing Eslinger as Nalen's replacement = Giving up on Hamilton as back-up center? I think we panicked in this draft. Instead of addressing the area of direst need (D-line), it looks like we're "rebuilding" a team that was just one game away from the Super Bowl last year.
                Last year's draft the broncos said they thought they were in pretty good shape for a playoff run (everyone laughed) and were really just looking to tighten up a few positions. Then they draft three DBs (all currently on the team, plus Myers), pick up a bunch of browns DL folks and get laughed at across the country. Weirdly enough, they went to the AFC championship game--so apparently they weren't completely out of their minds. This year they said they thought they had a pretty decent team left over from last year and their priorities were to resign some key free agents on the team and then maybe tighten up some backup positions. They worked out contracts with the key bronco free agents as they planned. So they draft some folks that look like they might have the potential to be okay backups and one highly regarded QB prospect for the future. In this case the future is probably about 2-3 years (I think three because that's how long it really took Jake to learn and be comfortable in the system). They also picked up some more folks off the browns and a wide receiver who caught more TDs in one season than Lelie has in his bronco career. It looks to me like they are doing exactly what they said-- again!!! So, if 2-5 folks make the team it means they beat out someone who was on last year's playoff team--which is good right? Assuming they pick up a few undrafted folks as they have each of the past few years--it really looks like a very interesting draft to me. Lastly, Shanahan is all about competition and pushing folks. As much as I find Van Pelt intriguing, I have a hard time seeing him really pushing Jake. Cutler might be the guy to do that. If he takes the job in two years, how is that a bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sevenis7
                  Love your enthusiasm, but if this draft is, as you say, "about the future", what does that say about "the present"? Drafting Cutler = Giving up on Jake? Drafting Scheffler = Giving up on Duke? Getting Walker = Giving up on Lelie? Dubbing Eslinger as Nalen's replacement = Giving up on Hamilton as back-up center? I think we panicked in this draft. Instead of addressing the area of direst need (D-line), it looks like we're "rebuilding" a team that was just one game away from the Super Bowl last year.
                  Drafting Cutler is not giving up on Plummer its pushing Plummer much like the Chargers did with Drew Brees when they drafted Phillip Rivers. Plummer is also 31.

Wesley Duke in my opion will be a great tightend but he still isn't football starting material yet. with Alexander aging Scheffler has the ability to come in and chellenge for the starting spot and become with Duke A great weapon for Jay Cutler.

Lelie isn't happy right now. He has one more year left on his contract. He still han't prove that he can be a number one receiver, which I thought he would be. Walker, Marshall, and Hixon are here to push not only Lelie but Darius Watts and Charlie Adams.

For as Eslinger replacing Nalen it could be the opposite. What i mean is when Nalen retires Hamilton will probley move over to center and Eslinger will move to Ben's spot.

Why we didn't draft more d-line is because Shanny feels we already had a good line this year. Now when Pryce left it created a hole which was filled with Kernard Lang. Everyone wanted a pass rushing end. He tryed getting Andre Carter and John Abraham but failed. So he went out and drafted this years NCAA learder in sacks with Dumervil (20 sacks). Dumervil also forced 11 fumbles last year.

This draft was about filling holes in the future. Face it Matt Lepsis is getting older, so is Tom Nalen, Jake Plummer, and Rod Smith. One day there going to retire and thats going to be a big hole to fill. Filling them now and letting the rookie learn the system would be better than when they retire and drafting a rookie that doesn't know the system just yet. What this draft tells me is that we still want to win in the future instead of having a losing season. And also we were one game away from the Super Bowl with pretty much the same team from last year. We draft the pass rushing end everyone wanted in Dumervil. I think we can win the Supper Bowl this year with the help of the new pass rushing DE and will win more Super Bowls in the future with this draft class.

Comment

Originally posted by D.J.55
                    Drafting Cutler is not giving up on Plummer its pushing Plummer much like the Chargers did with Drew Brees when they drafted Phillip Rivers. Plummer is also 31.
                    Great analogy b/c that is exactly what will happen to Jake. SD's best chance of winning was keeping Brees, but they low-balled him, forcing him to find a bigger paycheck w/New Orleans. Reason? No one wants to pay millions to have someone tote a clipboard around. SD took a step backwards this year, and so did we wasting 2 picks on this guy.

Wesley Duke in my opion will be a great tightend but he still isn't football starting material yet. with Alexander aging Scheffler has the ability to come in and chellenge for the starting spot and become with Duke A great weapon for Jay Cutler.
                    Duke and Scheffler seem to be the same type of player (tall, lean, not that great at blocking). I don't see us lining both of them up. Either/or.

Totally agree w/your comments about WRs and Eslinger. On another thread, I read that Hixon is also a very good special teams' player. Now that we have 7 WRs, don't you get the feeling that there might be a deal in the works to get some help on defense?

Why we didn't draft more d-line is because Shanny feels we already had a good line this year. Now when Pryce left it created a hole which was filled with Kernard Lang. Everyone wanted a pass rushing end. He tryed getting Andre Carter and John Abraham but failed. So he went out and drafted this years NCAA learder in sacks with Dumervil (20 sacks). Dumervil also forced 11 fumbles last year.
                    I think it's a bit of a reach to consider our D-line "good" last year. I mean the guy that had the most sacks was a safety (Lynch) and he only had 4! D-line should have been the priority, and it wasn't. You mention last year's improvement from a wild-card team to hosting the AFC Championship game. How did this improvement occur? Improving the D-line from the previous year! As the saying goes, "Defense wins championships". If we want to win a Super Bowl any time soon, we have to address D-line problems. Don't be fooled by Dumervil's stats. There's a reason he was available to us on Day 2 (Play dropped off considerably later in the season and against better competition). DE and/or DT whould have been first two picks.

Comment

This draft was about the future of this club. Jay Cutler is the franchise quarterback. Now what we did in the rest of this draft was build round him. By bringing in Javon Walker and drafting two wide receivers and a pass catching tightend is to give Cutler weapons. Also drafting two linemen is two protect him in the future. Drafting DE Elvis Dumervil filled a need that we needed now.

I think the roles of the players of this years draft will be like this:

Cutler- franchise quarterback for years to come

Scheffler- a big and fast (4.54 40) pas catching tightend to take pressure off the receivers.

Walker- Giving Cutler The vetern wide receiver (like Rod Smith is for Jake Plummer).

Marshall- The big target down the field and in the red zone.

Dumervil- gives us the pass rushing DE now

Hixon- gives Cutler The receiver that can stretch the field (ran the 40 in a 4.36 at his proday)

Kuper- he's a tall guard (6'4) that can move (5.19 40). may play tackle in the future

Eslinger- a center that knows our system already. is to take over for Nalen when he retires.

This draft was based around Jay Cutler so that he would have weapons and protect in the future. Good drafting Broncos

Great post, I agree, except that some of these picks could also help this year (Sheffler will be our fill in for Putzier) I just really think we had a good draft.

An example that is sort of like most fans reaction is how Philly had a draft a few years back with two corners while they had two probowlers. Nobody understood it. Those two corners were made into starters after the probowlers were hurt, and they made the probowl taht year and helped Philly to a superbowl...

Not bad eh? I could see that kind of outlook down the road from this draft.
                      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

According to Shanahan, this draft was mostly about speed. And we did pick up some pretty fast guys. Plummer will be the QB utilizing the offensive speed for the next year or more, and Cutler will come in if he develops like everyone expects him to.

I don't know if we addressed our defensive line enough to really make a difference against a good passing team. Elvis Dummerville has some quick moves, but is he enough?

I still see us as a ball control team, even with the addition of all these Receivers. Run the ball, tire out the opponents defense and keep ours fresh. Let's hope with Dummerville and Lang that our pass rush can be better.

We're an elite team again, but there are a few other teams that are right there with us and probably better manned at some key skill positions.

Comment

I hate to be the antagonist but the reality is that we will probably not have all of these guys on our roster next year. And a few years down the road we will have just a few of them.

from the 2000 draft we still have 2 players on the roster and 1 of them was not with us for a year. I will say that Mike Anderson served his time well though, so he should be counted from that draft also.

From 2001 we have 1 guy

from 2002 we have Lelie, Portis contributed and then brought us solid returns and we still have a few also rans.

From 2003 we have Foster and a bunch of nothing..... in fact that year we had three fourth rounder like this year and we turned it into nothing. Even though each was at a position of need.

From 2004 DJ and Tatum will be the only ones that survive to this year.

From last year we havent given it enough time. But most likely it will be D Will and Foxworthe.

so the reality is that not all of these guys will be here in the future. Even with our best drafts most guys don't stick long.

there are a couple of these guys that have work ethic and attitude problems which could cause them to go real soon.

lets be a little realistic. I think this was a good draft and we will get something out of it. But for all the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders there is little chance they ever contribute to the team. At least based on our history. in fact we should consider ourselves lucky if two of them ever made it to the field on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by tantevasquez

That's the problem with Denver's lack of evaluating talent.

You look at the SuperBowl teams like Pittsburgh and New England, and they have a draft hit of 65% or so, while Denver is only at a measley league low 30%.

Time to get some new scouts in.

Comment

Originally posted by myoung
                              I hate to be the antagonist but the reality is that we will probably not have all of these guys on our roster next year. And a few years down the road we will have just a few of them.

from the 2000 draft we still have 2 players on the roster and 1 of them was not with us for a year. I will say that Mike Anderson served his time well though, so he should be counted from that draft also.

From 2001 we have 1 guy

from 2002 we have Lelie, Portis contributed and then brought us solid returns and we still have a few also rans.

From 2003 we have Foster and a bunch of nothing..... in fact that year we had three fourth rounder like this year and we turned it into nothing. Even though each was at a position of need.

From 2004 DJ and Tatum will be the only ones that survive to this year.

From last year we havent given it enough time. But most likely it will be D Will and Foxworthe.

so the reality is that not all of these guys will be here in the future. Even with our best drafts most guys don't stick long.

there are a couple of these guys that have work ethic and attitude problems which could cause them to go real soon.

lets be a little realistic. I think this was a good draft and we will get something out of it. But for all the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders there is little chance they ever contribute to the team. At least based on our history. in fact we should consider ourselves lucky if two of them ever made it to the field on a regular basis.
                              Well, I watched our other drafts also. This is by far best value we have got in the draft for a while. You mention our 4th, 5th, and 6th and say they have a little chance to contribute to our team. I have to disagree. Our OL and C we got in 5th and 6th were projected around 3rd round but really could only fit into a couple teams system in NFL.

W/ our 4th we also got a couple people not including Hixson that were considered steal w/ Marshell and dumerville.

Out TE we got. People have been saying how pope is so much better but why was every one taking different TE's before him? He was just hyped up before draft from anylist's, mock drafts and fake scouts. He is not nearlly as good as Watson coming out the year before.

I don't think Scheffler was that much of a reach at all.. and believe a lot of teams were considering him. YES, he needs to work on blocking. With his work ethic look for him to gain some weight and be improved by start of season as our #2-#3 depending on duke.

I just don't think our draft canidates will contribute at some point but also some of the FA's we have been bringing in.

The Notre Dame full back has great hands

The saftey from ohio state.. think his stock droped being behind whitner or his combine or somthing. This kid looks pretty good.

The RB should be able to compete in a couple years.

Back to the subject they were really looking at the Future of our orginization in this draft and did a great job. Even addressed Now with Walker.

But most of them will contribute... Or make a person in the same position better and then being cut/practice squad etc.,

Comment

Working...
                              X