Breaking Down Denver Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking Down Denver Draft

Denver had, by most accounts, the best draft this season. Addressing current and future needs. Compared to the other teams in our conference, we are poised for another 10 years of domination. KC and SD both drafted questionable players with a lot of reaching. Oakland, is Oakland, God help 'em. (Or let us keep smashing them)

1. Jay Cutler- Thought by most experts to be the no 1 QB in the draft. Biggest arm, reads defense well, smarter than hell, and played in an NFL atmosphere where you could lose every game on Saturday because the talent level was so even. The tallest QB 6'5" and strongest. Should be a great player in a few years. He can sit the bench and learn under Shanny and Plummer. The last time Den chose a QB with a losing record in college was the beast known as Saint John Elway.

2. Javon Walker. Traded a second rounder for the beast known as Javon Walker. In 2004 he finished as the No 2 WR behind Muhsin Muhammad. An enormous polished receiver. Imagine, Rod, Lelie, and Javon.... Holy TOLEDO!!! Wow!!

2. Tony Scheffler, TE, Western Michigan. At 6'5" and 4.5 speed. (Second fastest TE in the draft) A beast. Taller than Vernon Davis and 0.12s slower. The guy has amazing hands, watch film on him. His strength is catching and running after the catch. He is not a very good blocker and not very muscular, he was about to go to the Yankees for baseball. But will be strengthen and conditioned to block better and get stronger. Denver already has the blocking TE, Stephen Alexander, so this guy will only add a more vertical and middle game. Denver took a big slow WR and turned him into the best TE the NFL has ever seen, imagine what we can do with a beast like this. All those fades to the corner in the red zone (the jump balls and rebounds) Denver will now catch those. No DB can cover this man. Plus, his mascot doesn't change. He goes from one Broncos squad to another.

4. Brandon Marshall, WR from UCF. Being compared to Terrell Owens in size, intensity and hands. The guy is 6'4" or 6'5" and weighs 230. A monster player. Named a second-team all-Conference USA on offense after he led the team with 74 receptions for 1,195 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2005. He finished second in UCF single-season history in receiving yards. Projected to either be used as a big receiver getting the over the middle stuff, or converted to TE. Also played Safety in college in 2004 when some DBs were injured. 4.5 speed.

4. Elvis Dumerville. The guy who terrorized Marcus Vick so much, that he stomped on his calf. a beast of a DE, total pass rusher. Should be used on special nickel packages and rush the QB, to destroy manning and Big Ben. Plus, his name is ELVIS!!! Last year we got 3 corner backs to cover Reggie Wayne, while Champ shuts down Harrison. Now we got the pass rusher to smoke the QBs and cause more INTs.

4. Domenik Hixon, WR Akron Zips. 6'2" speedster. 4.39 speed. One of the top all-around players in the conference and one of the top performers in school history ... a durable player who did not miss a game during his career ... ranks No. 2 on the UA career receptions list (141) and third on the career receiving yards chart (2,092) ... ranks fourth on Akron's career all-purpose yardage list (3,888) ... ranked among the top 20 nationally in all-purpose yardage in each of his final two seasons ... started 44 of 48 career games (20 at free safety/24 at wide receiver) ... averaged 16.1 yards every time he touched the ball during his final two seasons ... had one of the most memorable plays in school history, catching the game-winning pass from Luke Getsy with 10 seconds left in the 2005 MAC Championship game to help the Zips earn their first league championship on record and first-ever Division I-A bowl game berth ... was one of just five players in the nation to score via punt and kickoff return in 2004. Got to watch him play against Toledo, and man... he can tear it up. Very very fast. I'm not sure why he didn't play at a bigger school.

5. Chris Kuper OG from Univ North Dakota. Considered by many as a top 10 pure guard in this draft. Guy is actuall from Alaska.... can play in the cold. Should do well once some of our older guards retire/injure. He is a typical Broncos size O-Lineman.... 6'3 - 6'4" (depends on source) and weighs 303. will fit into the Broncos smart zone blocking scheme.

6. Greg Eslinger. C. Minnesota. Considered to be the second best Center in this draft behind Mangold. A pure steal in the 6th round after a bunch of others were snapped up. Shows that the Broncos really do their homework. 6'3" 285. Should eventually join the oline. Comes from Minn he should be able to adapt to our zone blocking scheme. Should fit in eventually.

This draft represented addressing current needs (WR, DE, TE) as well as future needs (QB, OG, C, WR). Broncos will probably sign a safety pretty soon too to help Ferguson and Lynch. This draft is probably the best draft that Denver has had in a while. Last year they addressed the Indianapolis offense by drafting three amazing CBs. Denver now has a complete team and should make it to the Superbowl. One game away last year was not enough, we need that extra game.
    Last edited by Dr. Broncos; 04-30-2006, 07:14 PM.

www.FootballTimes.org

Join our growing football community!

We buy football articles!
    Free football playbooks, football plays, flag football strategies and plays, backyard football, fantasy football, reviews, articles, coaching, and a discussion forum!

Great read, cp for you.
    Dennis Smith, Simon Fletcher, Steve Atwater, Terrell Davis and Rod Smith all belong in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

While I am pretty excited about the draft, a couple thoughts:

First, it isn't accurate to say most experts rated him number one. Some had him one, some two and some three. It seemed to be a mixed bag, but regardless, most seem to think he is going to be a very good QB.

Second, the Broncos didn't draft Elway.

I do like your team spirt, though.
      The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
        While I am pretty excited about the draft, a couple thoughts:

First, it isn't accurate to say most experts rated him number one. Some had him one, some two and some three. It seemed to be a mixed bag, but regardless, most seem to think he is going to be a very good QB.

Second, the Broncos didn't draft Elway.

I do like your team spirt, though.
        In his defense, he said "Chose" not "Drafted"
        Dennis Smith, Simon Fletcher, Steve Atwater, Terrell Davis and Rod Smith all belong in the Hall of Fame.

Comment

A lot of expert, very very intelligent experts, said Cutler was by far the No 1 QB in this draft, guys I have a lot of respect for, Ron Jaworski, Phil Simms, Mike Martz, etc:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ft2/index.html
          Rarified heir
          Broncos land Cutler to be Plummer's successor
          Posted: Saturday April 29, 2006 3:56PM; Updated: Saturday April 29, 2006 3:56PM

Jay Cutler might not start for the Broncos this season, but he is certainly Denver's quarterback of the future.
          US Presswire
          RELATED
          * KING: Five draft things I think I think (Part I)

METAIRIE, La. -- Mike Shanahan, Jay Cutler. What a marriage.

Mike Shanahan, Jake Plummer. "Uh, Jake, we've got to talk.''

I don't blame Shanahan. He's doing mental handsprings right now. He loves quarterbacks, obviously. He entered the day with picks 15, 37, 61 and 68. He took 15 and 68 and turned them into the quarterback Cutler, leaving himself with picks high in the second and third rounds.

This is going to be a great, great day for the Broncos, maybe the best day of anyone in the league. I watched some quarterback tape of players in this draft with Phil Simms last week and he was raved about Cutler. Talked about his workout tape like it was one of the best workouts he'd ever seen. And Ron Jaworski ... he thought Cutler was the best quarterback in the draft. And MikeMartz ... well, Martz requested that I not quote him on Cutler, but let's just say he thinks Cutler's one of the best quarterbacks he's ever seen come out of college football.

You can read the rest from teh link above....

Chris Mortensen also thinks that Cutler was the top QB in the April draft, people have posted teh article on here before.
          Last edited by Dr. Broncos; 04-30-2006, 07:23 PM.

www.FootballTimes.org

Free football playbooks, football plays, flag football strategies and plays, backyard football, fantasy football, reviews, articles, coaching, and a discussion forum!

Comment

Doc, good post , tnedator got most everything that I would have clarified. But there is one more. Picking Eslinger really isn't covering a future need at Center. Ben Hamilton was choosen 5 seasonso ago for that purpose. Ironically he also came from Minnesota as well.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

They have a similar blocking scheme as us, that's why.

www.FootballTimes.org

Comment

anyone hate the dumerville pick like i do? he's small and undersized, if your small and undersized u better have elite speed, but he didn't show it at the combine. Tackles in the NFL are more gifted than they are in college, and i dont see dumerville doing much with his career, isn't he way too undersized to play the nosetackle like shanny says? I would have much rather got after pat watkins or a safety to succeed Lynch

Comment

Originally posted by Celtpride36
                  anyone hate the dumerville pick like i do? he's small and undersized, if your small and undersized u better have elite speed, but he didn't show it at the combine. Tackles in the NFL are more gifted than they are in college, and i dont see dumerville doing much with his career, isn't he way too undersized to play the nosetackle like shanny says? I would have much rather got after pat watkins or a safety to succeed Lynch
                  I loved it.

Dumervil was a great pick

if you watched him this past season you would agree with me
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncos
                    A lot of expert, very very intelligent experts, said Cutler was by far the No 1 QB in this draft, guys I have a lot of respect for, Ron Jaworski, Phil Simms, Mike Martz, etc:
                    Don't get me wrong, I love the Cutler pick and have posted all over this forum how the talking heads have said Cutler is going to be a good, if not great, QB for Denver. My only point was that it isn't a consensus among the experts, and obviously the teams picking, that he is the best QB in these years draft.

One thing I read said that Leinart is the QB most ready to start, Young has the best physical skills, and Cutler the best upside (or something like that).

Another one simply compared Leinart and Cutler. The guy said that if he was picking a guy to start game 1 this season, he would go with Leinart, if he was picking the guy to start 16 games a year for the next 10 years, he would pick Cutler.

TXBronc: I agree on the Hamilton thing. I posted something similar elsewhere today. If Nalen went down this year, Hamilton would slide over, since that is why he was drafted (I don't think many thought Nalen would still be playing), and the center is the QB of the line. Only time will tell if Esslinger will be our center of the future, but as we saw with Hamilton, he could become one of our guards.
                    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X