X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Draft is a Cutler Above

"Broncos draft is a Cutler above?"
    Corny.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thomas george
    Broncos' draft is a Cutler above
    By Thomas George
    Denver Post Staff Columnist

Boy, this Jay Cutler, with a 58-inch chest, 22-inch arms, an eminent Las Vegas bodybuilder and frequent Mr. Olympia finalist who ...

Oops.

Wrong Jay Cutler.

Oh, that Jay Cutler. From Vanderbilt. Won 11 measly games there in four years. Big arm. Big dreams.

The highest NFL draft pick (No. 11) Mike Shanahan has made in 12 Broncos drafts. And Shanahan traded up four spots from No. 15 to swipe Cutler on Saturday.

This tells you three things:

1) Cutler is a very smart man. You play quarterback at a tough academic school like Vanderbilt, you have an extraordinary brain. Little excites Shanahan more in a football player than his intelligence. There is no room that Shana han walks into where he does not believe he is one of the smartest guys around. He wants his quarterback to be the same. Cutler fits the standard.

2) Jake Plummer is on the clock. Always has been. But the Broncos just sped up the dials. Flipped the hourglass and set it for likely one final Plummer season. The sand is plunging.

3) Bradlee Van Pelt is not the answer as the Broncos' future starting quarterback.

Cutler is.

A bold move like this one, investing this much at this position at this time, makes it clear the Broncos see Cutler as I do, Brett Favre-like, a stronger version of Jeff Garcia, nimble with a gun for an arm and a toughness - mental and physical - that the Broncos believe they do not have at quarterback. Ask enough Broncos and they say Cutler's game reminds them of an old friend who wore No. 7.

Cutler plays quarterback with his head up and his eyes downfield. He is a passer who finds open receivers by often using his second and third route options.

He is the lone quarterback of the draft's top three who performed at the scouting combine. Get this - he lifted weights for scouts. Top quarterbacks nowadays do not work at the combine. Few quarterbacks at the combine do the lifting. Cutler ripped 225 pounds 23 times. That was better than some linemen.

He played at pitiful Vanderbilt. Are you alarmed that this quarterback, though voted the Southeastern Conference offensive player of the year, did not have a single winning collegiate season? Does it bother you that Vanderbilt has produced only seven first-round picks in the past 69 years?

Here is how a personnel chief in the Broncos' division answered that: "We watched the tape. This guy had six or seven drops by his receivers every game. He had his team in position to win several games that they lost. He got hammered because of poor pass protection. It was him and little else there. You have to look beyond that. He's genuine."

There were six first-round

Jay Cutler and his mother, Sandy, react after he was picked by the Broncos with the 11th pick of the NFL draft Saturday. (AP / Neil Brake)

trades on draft day. The Broncos were the first to leap. Notice that no team moved into the top 10 picks. The juggling started at No. 11 with the Broncos, and their hope is that they landed a franchise quarterback at a midlevel first-round price. This is smart shopping. Especially if it works.

Does Plummer enter this season thinking he is one-and- done?

It looks that way. The dollars say so. He signed a seven-year, $40 million contract in 2003, restructured it when the Broncos asked and recently received a $2 million signing bonus. But after the 2006 season, Plummer has this amount left in his contract in guaranteed money:

Zero.

Can you say split?

The Broncos always have believed they had to push Plummer, keep a finger on him, press him to get his best work. Now they have presented him with something that works better with athletes than pleading or nudging or threats: competition. A guy in Cutler who can make every throw every which way, who can zing the outs and the ins receivers run. Who can wing it deep. The consensus is this is the strongest arm in the draft. The way the Broncos' passing game is designed, bullet passes make a significant difference.

We know that everything the Broncos touch in the draft (Maurice Clarett) does not work.

In the 2002 draft, the Broncos at No. 19 selected receiver Ashley Lelie.

With the next pick, Green Bay chose receiver Javon Walker.

On Saturday, the Broncos traded for Walker.

Better to get that draft right four years later than never, and they just might have struck gold at quarterback. Seldom does that happen without risks.

There was another quarterback who slipped to the No. 11 spot, this one in the 2004 draft. More popular names - Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers - went before this quarterback, just like Vince Young and Matt Leinart on Saturday. Ben Roethlisberger settled for the No. 11 position with Pittsburgh in '04. He just won Super Bowl XL.

Jay Cutler looks a cut above.

Even minus the dumbbells.

Staff writer Thomas Georgecan be reached at 303-820-1994 or [email protected].

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3768171

Wow, I had no idea about that guaranteed money thing. It means we can cut Plummer after next season if he isn't up to par and not have any dead money counting against the cap in the future.
    A proponent of Denver drafting Cutler since 10/05.

So naturally, my Adopt-A-Bronco is Jay Cutler!

Comment

Nice thanks for the INFO .....

Comment

I was able to meet and interview Jay again today for AM 950 the Fan here in Denver. Let me tell you Denver fans, this kid is NFL ready. he is very calm and poised. He gave very honest answers and showed a good sense of humor.

Big for Jay Cutler!
        senior writer: Footballguys.com

NFL Insider 102.3 ESPN

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoChicken
          Wow, I had no idea about that guaranteed money thing. It means we can cut Plummer after next season if he isn't up to par and not have any dead money counting against the cap in the future.
          I'm flabbergasted! I thought for sure that Plummer had some bonus left on that contract.

Coincidence, or shrewd move by Shanny?

Comment

Originally posted by freestyle760
            I was able to meet and interview Jay again today for AM 950 the Fan here in Denver. Let me tell you Denver fans, this kid is NFL ready. he is very calm and poised. He gave very honest answers and showed a good sense of humor.

Big for Jay Cutler!
            I love his makeup and personality. Getting shelled at Vande should actually help him in the long run...

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
              I'm flabbergasted! I thought for sure that Plummer had some bonus left on that contract.

Coincidence, or shrewd move by Shanny?
              Shrewd but genius move by Shanny, I'm guessing.

Comment

I applaud Shannahan for trading up and making some noise. Great, that Jake has no money on the board after this year. Sure could mean extra free agency dollars for 2007. Looks like this is the farewell of the Snake.

I believe Cutler will be a quick learner like Rothleisberger. On a good team, and an easier time to get acclimated. Plus, it will be real nice having a number one receiver like Javon Walker to throw to.

The only problem I see is that I still don't think Kenard Lang is the answer in terms of a "speed" rusher. The defensive line needs to be able to get to the opposing QB.

Not sure if there is anyone left that is unsigned.

Awesome Draft Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by freestyle760

Big for Jay Cutler!
                  Yeah, he's very well-spoken, genuine, and intelligent. Overall, a great mental make-up for a pro QB. I'd say he's more mentally stable than Plummer, who has had a couple outbursts since being in Denver (something to do with his middle finger and a heckler, and criticizing Denver fans, as well as getting p.o'ed at press conferences).

Cutler does have a slight character issue dating back to his freshman year. I actually thought it was pretty damn funny when I read it.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=16489

Comment

Looking at the roster, we still need a DT or two. I think when the Broncos do sign some free agent rookies they will be DTs.

Comment

Oh sweet! Aggressive dialing!!!

Comment

the thing that really excites me is the comparison to Elway. It has me gettin all tingly inside.

Comment

For the people that are worried because of Vanderbilt's record just look at two of their box scores.

Kentucky
                          If the defense could have held Kentucky to 42 points Vandy would have had a winning record in 2006.Kentucky won the game 48-43 Jay had 395 passing yards completing 39 out of 66 passes with 5 touchdowns and no interceptions.Jay also rushed for 38 yards in the game.

Florida
                          Vandy lost 49-42 in overtime Jay passed for 361 yards completing 28 out of 42 passes he did throw 2 interceptions in that game but also passed for 4 touchdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoChicken
                            Just because he has no guaranteed money to be paid to him after 06, doesn't mean we won't take a HUGE salary cap hit to cut him.

Comment

Originally posted by Interpol
                              Just because he has no guaranteed money to be paid to him after 06, doesn't mean we won't take a HUGE salary cap hit to cut him.
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why it's called guaranteed money? If he has none left after this season, then he can be cut without ramifications. NFL contracts as a whole are not guaranteed.

Guaranteed money includes bonuses, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X