Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Cutler could help us win the Super Bowl in 2006

Check out this blast from the past.

Since Gary Kubiak replaced an ailing Elway and engineered a win over Washington in 1989, the Broncos had gone 0-7 in games that Elway did not start.

An assortment of injuries to the 38-year-old Elway caused him to miss all or parts of six games this season, and Brister stepped confidently into the void. He went 4-0 in his four starts and also directed a comeback win in relief.
    I was initially pretty sour on the Cutler pick, preferring the DTs on the board. I am starting to see the wisdom in it, though. In the 1998 Super Bowl run, having a quality backup QB was critical, and might well be critical for keeping us in the playoff hunt in 2006 as well. Jake Plummer isn't getting any younger. If we're 7-2 and then he goes down four weeks with a shoulder separation, if Cutler can merely win ugly half the time and get the team to 9-4 by the time Plummer returned, we'd still be in the thick of the playoff race. Go 0-4 and you're pretty much toast at 7-6.

Any playing time Cutler would get under such circumstances is valuable experience. One of the most limited resources of all is playing time, and we're wasting it if we spend it on a backup who's never going to be a long-term starter for us. Ditto with coaching -- another limited resource -- where for many players, you're just training next year's free agents for some other coach at some other team.

Very good post.
    I agree 100% on the qb part. But one reason many players are taken undrafted even if they dont make the team is in the case they surprise... many undrafted players have become players in the league. Not MANY but enough for it to be worth the risk. If that player does it for a different coach, then all we spent on them really was the training camp and small contract.... no biggy. But if they play big for us, like Rod ended up doing, we just had a major steal
    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I agree. I also think that Cutler's mere presence is going to make Jake better. When has Jake ever (in his whole career) had to play with a quality back-up snapping at his heels? I think that there's going to be competition and that's going to make Jake (and the offense) better.
      "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
      - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
      - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
      - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

Comment

Originally posted by Wigglesworth
        I agree. I also think that Cutler's mere presence is going to make Jake better. When has Jake ever (in his whole career) had to play with a quality back-up snapping at his heels? I think that there's going to be competition and that's going to make Jake (and the offense) better.

Good point. Healthy competition might be the best thing for Jake.

Comment

I'm a New Fan

After following the Broncos for many years, and noticing they are in playoff position most of the time I take my hat off to their selection of Jay Cutler.

Bronco fans will be far from disappointed. I have watched Jay from being a redshirt freshman all the way through his college career.

A new Bronco fan has arrived.
          As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Do you guys really think Cutler is going to ride pine all year? Hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Momentum
              Damn, it's going to feel weird if he does play next year...

Comment

Gee............ I could go off on this, but what's the point. I think we made the steal of the draft. If Steve Young, and Jaws from ESPN can go on record and say that the guy is that good, you have to step back and rethink your position on the guy. The guy has all of the skills that you covet for your QB. My thoughts are that we may have the franchise QB that we have wanted since Elway, and that he has what it takes to do everything we want for our QB and leader of this team. As usual, Mike was brilliant. He must be one hell of a poker player, because he never once showed his hand on this deal. I was shocked to see us go for it.

I have always liked Plummer, but he just has never gotten us there. Maybe this move will light a bon fire under his butt! He played well for most of the season last year, but as usual, he fell short against Pittsburg. There are all kinds of reasons for the loss, but like it or not, Shannahan addressed them with this draft, and the trades he has pulled off.

Comment

The '06 campain can either rise or sputter like a mother. Here's why...

Originally posted by CasualFan
                  I was initially pretty sour on the Cutler pick, preferring the DTs on the board. I am starting to see the wisdom in it, though. In the 1998 Super Bowl run, having a quality backup QB was critical, and might well be critical for keeping us in the playoff hunt in 2006 as well. Jake Plummer isn't getting any younger. If we're 7-2 and then he goes down four weeks with a shoulder separation, if Cutler can merely win ugly half the time and get the team to 9-4 by the time Plummer returned, we'd still be in the thick of the playoff race. Go 0-4 and you're pretty much toast at 7-6.
                  If this is the scenario, it could be good and bad. Say Jake goes 7-2 and has that injury for 4 weeks. Cutler comes in and goes 2-2 or 3-1 and looks more impressive than Jake. Do you insert a healed Jake who will be looking over his shoulder, or ride a rookie? Whoever comes in is looking over his shoulder, more Jake than Jay. Can you say QB Controversy.

On the one hand, every QB, good or not, can't be a Tom Brady or Rothlischeeseberger.

On the other hand, both of those QBs had good teams around him, which means Cutler has a shot. In '06, though? Highly unlikely. It was a great pickup by the Broncos, as Jake will not lead you to a SB appearance much less a SB win, and the Bronco running game, added wth Javon Walker can make it easier for Cutler.

Here's the problem. If Cutler runs into the two QBs I mentioned in the playoffs, the lack of experience will be his downfall. They were there before and they know what to do, and they know to tell their defenses what to do against him. And what's worse for Bronco fans for the immediate future as in this season, Jake may not be on the sideline because of injury, but because of skiddish paranoid looking-over-the-shoulder inconsistent play that would lead to his benching. At that time, I doubt Denver is 7-2 and in the hunt.

One last thing about Cutler. He won 11 games in college. You say no big deal? A winning mentality is hard to gain and easy to lose. People who are not used to winning won't comprehend victory in their front view if a 2 minute drill calls for it. Cutler has the tools, but he's not a winner. Not yet. And no matter how good you are, until you learn how to win, it can be a foreign word in your venacular.

Comment

Cutler can help us in 2006 by cheering his teammates on while he learns the system and learn the plays. That way he can fully compete for the starting job in 2007.
                    For 2006 Cutler better sit back and hold that clipboard.
                    Emancipate your mind!
                    The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceOfClub
                      No need to go that far, just look at our record in the 4 games Plummer missed in 2003.
                      Exactly back in 03 when jake was out, it was completely felt!
                      SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

My point in starting this thread is to get beyond the Jake vs. Jay nonsense. It's entirely possible to be supportive of Jake and still think that drafting Cutler made sense. Some insurance policies make sense, and this may turn out to be one of them. Football is a game of probabilities with the high injury rate, and Cutler has statistical value ex ante even if he doesn't play a down in the regular season -- because he well might.

The backup QB was crucial to the Giants getting to and winning the Superbowl against the Bills in 1991 -- Phil Simms got injured and Jeff Hostetler got in there and kept the winning going all the way through the big game. Ditto for Tom Brady taking over for Drew Bledsoe and winning the SB for the Patriots. Shanahan is right to be worried about not having a reliable #2.

We should note too that even if Cutler doesn't play in 2006 he still helps the team quite a bit. He is NOT "a huge pile of money carrying a clipboard," as one sportswriter put it. The backup QB carries a clipboard for a reason; he's basically a second quarterback coach, watching the defense's tendencies from the sidelines and then pointing them out to the starter when he's off the field and the defense has a turn. Do you want a smart backup with a somewhat similar playing style to Jake who's been in the heat of battle giving him feedback, or some scrub?

The other really stupid thing about the clipboard business is that the backup QBs help run practices and run the scout team, masquerading as the opposing quarterback. Sometimes defenses have credited the backup QBs for helping them get INTs and sacks because they were so good at mimicking the opposing QBs from what they saw on game film. You need smart backups who "think like a coach" to do that, and that's one quality Jay was picked for.

Even the practices are going to go better if you've got Jay in there. With a scrub scatter-arm for a backup, the WRs are just going to go through the motions when he's taking snaps. Every time the pass is over- or underthrown, they're going to assume it's the QB's fault rather than that they ran the route poorly. And with an elusive, mobile backup, the Dline has to work harder to get to him, and they improve.

The coaches have to spend less time teaching the backup QB and can concentrate on Jake more. How much work do you think Kubiak had to do last year trying to whip BVP into shape? If your backup picks things up rapidly and gives you confidence, you can spend time on other stuff.

Comment

Yes....for about 2 years.

Originally posted by Momentum
                          Shanahan is going to Griese his butt....he's going to be told to watch and learn.....and when Jakes in the final year of his contract...especially if he's not performing....He'll pull the trigger. But the only Jay Cutler playing time...barring serious injury...is going to be in the Pre-Season.
                          MIKE CELEZIC IS A TOOL!

Comment

Working...
                          X